How is it possible the Jets sometimes draft decent players and they wind up sucking?

joewilly12

Vernon Gholston outstanding unstoppable at Ohio State for the Jets he couldn't tackle the tackling dummies

Geno Smith very decent at W.Virginia here he can't hit the side of a barn with the ball

Kyle Wilson outstanding college career at Boise State and in high school

Way too many others to mention

Very alarming this is happening here. 

Discuss 

To be fair, it happens to every team.

2006 was touted as a draft for the ages at the time, just like 2014. New England had 11 picks in that draft (similar to our 12 picks in this past draft, minus one extra compensatory pick at the bottom of round 6).

When the dust settled, the Pats ended up with zero first string starters. The 4th rounder they burned on a placekicker - again, in a deep draft took a kicker with a 4th round pick - ended up being far and away the best pick they made. The one who ultimately was the most productive player on offense or defense (Mincey) was cut by Belichick that summer at the end of August and never played for them.

Not to suggest that the Pats have been unsuccessful relative to most NFL teams, but that draft should have been a difference-maker of young player wealth that propelled NE to another ring or two. Then again, their all-offense draft picks were SO bad that it forced NE's hand to seek out trades for Moss and Welker, who were instrumental in their once record-setting offense, so there's that. But it doesn't speak well of the players selected in the draft. Except the kicker.

Vernon Gholston outstanding unstoppable at Ohio State for the Jets he couldn't tackle the tackling dummies

Geno Smith very decent at W.Virginia here he can't hit the side of a barn with the ball

Gholston- there were huge red flags about Gholston's commitment and work ethic coming out of college. The Jets chose to ignore them.

Smith- huge red flags about his transition to a NFL QB. Struggles when under center, poor footwork and throwing mechanics and most importantly, poor decision making skills. The Jets chose to ignore them.

Wilson- decent zone coverage CB, very questionable man coverage CB. Very poor hip action, loses receiver when ball is in the air. Jets chose to ignore them, even though Rex's defense is predicated on having a CB with good man coverage skills.

Jets need to blow up their scouting department, if they even have one.

Gholston- there were huge red flags about Gholston's commitment and work ethic coming out of college. The Jets chose to ignore them.

Smith- huge red flags about his transition to a NFL QB. Struggles when under center, poor footwork and throwing mechanics and most importantly, poor decision making skills. The Jets chose to ignore them.

Wilson- decent zone coverage CB, very questionable man coverage CB. Very poor hip action, loses receiver when ball is in the air. Jets chose to ignore them, even though Rex's defense is predicated on having a CB with good man coverage skills.

....Ok gotta agree with dat.  Jets are cursed.... good players like Antonio Cromartie are released..... they don't want to pay Revis... draft an inbox Safety like Pryor, when they really needed a cover- centerfielder type.    btw-- we had inbox types like James Ihedibo, Dwight Lowery, etc--  but we let them go...........over-paid Santonio........ I could go on.... and the Monday night mess was the worst- see below:

".Now comes this abomination of a football game.  277 yards rushing and the Jets find a way to lose.  OK, they weren't expected to win anyway.  But what about evaluating Geno?  Sure, the Jets running game racked up 210 yards in the first half, so you might be reluctant to go away from it.  But how about the second half?  The Dolphins completely sold out against the run in the second half, putting eight and nine men in the box every play, daring the Jets to pass, leaving a cornerback they picked up off the street midweek one on one on Eric Decker all night.  The strategy worked well, as the Dolphins largely contained the Jets' rushing game in the second half, limited the Jets to three points, and ultimately took the lead.  Through all this, what did the Jets do?  They threw the ball two times.  TWO TIMES the entire second half up until the final two minute drill when running was no longer an option.  Tell me, how in the heck is it possible to evaluate a quarterback when you don't allow him to throw the ball? ."

Discuss

Ghost was ghost with three other NFL teams. Geno is terrible that's why all 32 teams decided he's not worth a 1st round pick. Wilson is a serviceable backup. More than half the players picked early in the draft fail to justify their draft status.

Mo, Sheldon, Revis, brick, Mangold, Harris. They were also drafted by Jets, but u just prefer to pick n choose.

Ghost was ghost with three other NFL teams. Geno is terrible that's why all 32 teams decided he's not worth a 1st round pick. Wilson is a serviceable backup. More than half the players picked early in the draft fail to justify their draft status.

Mo, Sheldon, Revis, brick, Mangold, Harris. They were also drafted by Jets, but u just prefer to pick n choose.

Throw Davis in there as well

I really think at times the Jets have done nothing but go to the combine and make up their draft board there.

I know it is probably not true but the fact that this team has not been able to draft one impact player on offense since Rex got here really says alot about this franchise.

I really think at times the Jets have done nothing but go to the combine and make up their draft board there.

I know it is probably not true but the fact that this team has not been able to draft one impact player on offense since Rex got here really says alot about this franchise.

What impact offensive players did they draft under Mangini?  Brad Smith?  Leon?  Chansi Stuckey?  Shonn Greene is worth more than all of those guys.  Sure they drafted Ferguson and Mangold, but impact? Nah

What impact offensive players did they draft under Mangini?  Brad Smith?  Leon?  Chansi Stuckey?  Shonn Greene is worth more than all of those guys.  Sure they drafted Ferguson and Mangold, but impact? Nah

was thinking about this the other day. the last impact player on offense drafted by jets? i guess sanata moss in 2001 (who made his impact elsewhere)? before that coles in 2000 and keyshawn in 1996? it's been 14 years since jets drafted an offensive player that made a significant impact for the team. and not to knock coles, but if that's your best in the last decade and a half that's pretty sad.

was thinking about this the other day. the last impact player on offense drafted by jets? i guess sanata moss in 2001 (who made his impact elsewhere)? before that coles in 2000 and keyshawn in 1996? it's been 14 years since jets drafted an offensive player that made a significant impact for the team. and not to knock coles, but if that's your best in the last decade and a half that's pretty sad.

Maybe Keller. Maayyybe,

It would be ok if we occasionally whiffed on our early picks if we also occasionally nailed our mid and late rounders.  Antonio Allen, Jeremy Kerley, Matt Slauson....Those are the only 3 in the last decade+ where that was perhaps case.  And none of those are "special" players.  That's where a scouting department is supposed to make it's mark.  Finding that one or 2 special players every 5 years or so in the 3rd/4th round or later.  We simply haven't, plain and simple.  Woody and Terry Bradway have been the common denominators throughout our overall dreadful draft history since the early 2000's.  At least perhaps one of them will be jettisoned this offseason.

Maybe someone like Ik Enemkpali will turn into something.  But we probably won't find out much this year if he keeps getting just a handful of snaps per game.  This f*cking team man.....

Discuss 

COACHING

Discuss 

COACHING

Cotchery ?

No pick n choose the facts are more bad players than good. 

What about Kenrick Ellis another top draft pick if i twasnt for him playing last night many would forget goes even on the team. 

He's a 3rd round pick and defensive tackle. Unless a defensive lineman is making 15 sacks a year, most of them go unnoticed. Actually, if they are noticed, it's usually because they're doing a terrible job.

Listen, the Jets are not good at talent evaluation, draft strategy, drafting, or player development. We know this. This regime is going away and hopefully a competent one will be brought in to rectify things. That said, there is no reason rehash this stuff time and again.

Kyle Wilson was picked about 30-35 spots too high. If he was an early 3rd rounder, we'd all be like, hey that Kyle Wilson sure is steady in the slot. 

What ??  Kyle Wilson couldn't cover a tupperware bowl. The only reason he's on the team is due to injures ,or he has some incriminating photos of Rex .

I was in Target yesterday and a girl was walking around with Steelers' #51 home jersey with the name FARRIOR emblazoned across the back-burnt my friggin' ass and thought of the same thing that you just wrote  above JW12

How about Vilma? Revis? Ellis? I could go on, but you get the point.

The Jets suck because they reach for players and try to force square pegs into round holes. Reaches recently have been Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse, Kyle Wilson, Dustin Keller, Quinton Coples. They also don't recognize QB talent. They have passed on Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco in recent years and in the past you have O'Brien over Marino and not making a deal for Brett Favre while settling for Browning Nagle. Jets wouldn't know a great QB if they saw him and have had just one that was even near great and that was Namath. 

Meh. Tom Brady had red flags as well, which is why he lasted until just before the 7th round.

Alshon Jeffery had his red flags: supposedly he looked more like a slightly underweight offensive lineman than a WR. So we took the in-shape physical specimen, Hill, so as not to ignore obvious red flags about Jeffery's work ethic. Clear future bust, right? Good things we saw the signs.

Meh. Tom Brady had red flags as well, which is why he lasted until just before the 7th round.

Yea, the Pats are real stupid for taking a flyer on a 6th round draft pick with red flags.

The Jets do it with their 1st and 2nd round picks.

Another reason why the two franchises are polar opposites of one another.

The Jets suck because they reach for players and try to force square pegs into round holes. Reaches recently have been Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse, Kyle Wilson, Dustin Keller, Quinton Coples. They also don't recognize QB talent. They have passed on Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco in recent years and in the past you have O'Brien over Marino and not making a deal for Brett Favre while settling for Browning Nagle. Jets wouldn't know a great QB if they saw him and have had just one that was even near great and that was Namath. 

FACTS.  I love to be schooled.

Peyton Manning went #1 overall, the Jets selection would have been 18th, but they forfeited it over the Parcells tampering.  Parcells took noted pass rusher Dorian Boose with our first pick in that draft (56 overall) and followed that up with Scott Frost in the 3rd.  The Pats picked Robert Edwards the promising back that blew up his knee in the beach game and never came back.  The Jets did have #3 overall Andre Wadsworth in for a tryout in 2007 or something.  Max had a JN exclusive.  Roethisberger went 11th, the Jets picked 12th (Vilma).  The Jets did pass over Flacco in 2008, but with Favre coming in it can't be a surprise they didn't scoop up a QB from the Colonial league. 1 out of 3 isn't bad.   Recent years consists of 6, 11 and 16 years ago? The Jets have made the AFC title game twice since any of those recent guys has been picked. 

Wilson, Keller and Coples were not reaches and Coples is the only one that had any true red flags coming into the league. Coples is also the only one being asked to anything other than exactly what they would have been expected to do coming out of college.  

I was in Target yesterday and a girl was walking around with Steelers' #51 home jersey with the name FARRIOR emblazoned across the back-burnt my friggin' ass and thought of the same thing that you just wrote above JW12

I'll bet you spent $100 and don't have anything to show for it but deodorant and anti acid.

That sh*t about Wilson is flat out false.  All the scouts list his fluid hips as a plus and if anything he was rated more highly in man than zone.  What scouting reports did you see? i don't think there were such huge red flags about Geno for a 2nd rounder.  It was just obvious he should have had time to develop.  

We are really nitpicking here but I'd throw Cotchery in there.

Thing is, we haven't drafted many impact players on offense in the first two rounds since Moss. Outside of Geno n Sanchez, I think we only drafted Hills. Sanchez is proving that he belongs in the NFL, while Hills was a bust n Geno is headed that way too.

Oh n Keller had a good chemistry with Sanchez while Amaro is has had a decent enough rookie yr.

I think we need to pick up a game changing WR in Amari this ur n then draft a QB next ur when he has all the weapons in place. Not sure that'll happen tho as we may go QB this yr, as expected. Not the ideal way to build but you'd almost certainly have to keep Percy Harvinache to help groom the QB.

I'll bet you spent $100 and don't have anything to show for it but deodorant and anti acid.

you kidding me, we spent $270 in there that day and my wife and I had a big fight because she turned into a big baby when I tried to buy a bag of Werthers Chewy Caramels so I threw the bag on top of a Pepsi display and went out into the parking lot and waited for her to finish shopping-women 

Archived