Woody Hiring Charlie Casserly as consultant (MERGED)

Seth

Here's a little blurb from Casserly back in October:

Not addressing the cornerback position was huge because (of) two things: One, any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, ‘Give me corners. That’s what I need, is corners.’ When you watch their defense, they’ve never had a legitimate outside pass rusher you have to game-plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free.

“So that’s an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs,” Casserly continued. “From the outside-in, that’s the obvious one we look at there. It’s a legitimate question because clearly there’s not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.

Woody hired a consultant who thinks a lot of Rex, and not much of Idzik. You can wishful think away, but Casserly is more likely to suggest keeping Rex and buying the groceries for him than he is to suggest Idzik stay on to hire his own coach.

And no billionaire is hiring a consultant to tell him to keep his nose out of his own business, and no consultant remains employed doling out that kind of advice.

link: http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2014/10/16/charley-casserly-not-enough-talent-for-jets-to-compete/

I think your key term is "from the outside in." Now that Casserly is "in," he's going to learn a whole bunch about what Life With Rex was like. 

Not that you don't deserve 4 more years of Rex humiliating this franchise.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This hiring is probably just because Woody wants to clean house, but doesn't want to stand on the podium all by himself during press conference to announce the house cleaning, Casserly getting paid to handle the Q&A portion of the end of year presser.

what is the argument for keeping Idzik, why hire a coach to basically start over with a GM on a short leash.... makes no sense..

Idzik has been an aobomination, you don't go 3-13 with 20M in unused cap space and survive

The argument for keeping Idzik is that Rex sucks and has sucked for a long time, and everything that's dragged the team down under Idzik has emanated from the demand to keep Rex in the first place. 

I think your key term is "from the outside in." Now that Casserly is "in," he's going to learn a whole bunch about what Life With Rex was like. 

Not that you don't deserve 4 more years of Rex humiliating this franchise.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. The coach as front office failed to get what the coach needed. I'm sure that's what he's gonna find out.

What has he done well in 2 years?

1) Richardson

2) Win the coveted trophy for most unused cap space in year 2. It's sitting right next to Pennington's top completion % trophies

and?

this has been hashed and rehashed to death....But..

1) His first year was a dump year - he had nothing to do but clean up Tanny's mess...

2) His second year is coming to an end and I'm sorry, but it's simply way too early to judge either of his drafts

3) I'm glad he saved the cap money - this team is rebuilding (I know most don't want to admit it)  I'll ask you...let's say he spent the full $20mm, what would the Jets record be this year?  Maybe 8 wins...maybe..

4) His hands were tied - he had to keep his HC, had to trade their best player, had to keep the head of scouting

5) He signed the top WR on the market, drafted the top TE (who looks to be a keeper)

6) The Jets will be in incredible cap position next year

His biggest mistake was Geno - Geno didn't work out...Had Geno even been okay (and not the worst QB in football two years in a row) this team would be pretty good....He missed on the QB - it happens to all GM's...This team isn't lacking in talent as much as people want to make it out to be...

I'm not saying he's been great, but he hasn't been as bad as people are making him out to be and simply hasn't really had a chance to prove it.  Rebuilding a team takes time - two years simply isn't enough.

This hiring is probably just because Woody wants to clean house, but doesn't want to stand on the podium all by himself during press conference to announce the house cleaning, Casserly getting paid to handle the Q&A portion of the end of year presser.

This, too. If Casserly proves to be a credible voice that lends Woody legitimacy in the short term, it wouldn't be shocking to see him brought in full-time. 

The argument for keeping Idzik is that Rex sucks and has sucked for a long time, and everything that's dragged the team down under Idzik has emanated from the demand to keep Rex in the first place. 

lol.. you have lost your mind. Reminds me of the type of argument Pac/Smash would make defending Sanchez/Pennington.. No weapanzzz

lol.. you have lost your mind. Reminds me of the type of argument Pac/Smash would make defending Sanchez/Pennington.. No weapanzzz

If the coach is bad, no GM can save him. And, given that no one wanted the job with Rex attached, it's a safe bet that the coach isn't the treasure that some make him out to be.

this has been hashed and rehashed to death....But..

1) His first year was a dump year - he had nothing to do but clean up Tanny's mess...

2) His second year is coming to an end and I'm sorry, but it's simply way too early to judge either of his drafts

3) I'm glad he saved the cap money - this team is rebuilding (I know most don't want to admit it)  I'll ask you...let's say he spent the full $20mm, what would the Jets record be this year?  Maybe 8 wins...maybe..

4) His hands were tied - he had to keep his HC, had to trade their best player, had to keep the head of scouting

5) He signed the top WR on the market, drafted the top TE (who looks to be a keeper)

6) The Jets will be in incredible cap position next year

His biggest mistake was Geno - Geno didn't work out...Had Geno even been okay (and not the worst QB in football two years in a row) this team would be pretty good....He missed on the QB - it happens to all GM's...This team isn't lacking in talent as much as people want to make it out to be...

I'm not saying he's been great, but he hasn't been as bad as people are making him out to be and simply hasn't really had a chance to prove it.  Rebuilding a team takes time - two years simply isn't enough.

the problem is that none of that is an achievement, it's an explanation/excuse for why the results have been poor. Sanchez doesn't suck, his Wr's do.. 

2 years in an you should have accomplished something noteworthy other then a DT who we can most likely credit Wrecks for

If the coach is bad, no GM can save him. And, given that no one wanted the job with Rex attached, it's a safe bet that the coach isn't the treasure that some make him out to be.

Hmm..

If the QB is bad, no coach can save him.  = also true

And, given that no one wanted the job with Rex attached, it's a safe bet that the coach isn't the treasure that some make him out to be.

And doesn't that indict Idzik to begin with? You are basically saying nobody good would come here because of Wrecks, yet Idzik did

the problem is that none of that is an achievement, it's an explanation/excuse for why the results have been poor. Sanchez doesn't suck, his Wr's do.. 

2 years in an you should have accomplished something noteworthy other then a DT who we can most likely credit Wrecks for

That's just not true.

The Jets are in great cap position and have a lot of young talent at key positions.  With a quality QB, another WR and a couple of corners (which $40mm in cap space can easily get you) this team is poised to be very successful.  That's what rebuilding is, you take a hit for a couple of year as you solidify your base....He's ACCOMPLISHED that...

If the QB is bad, a coach doesn't have to start him for four seasons.

sure they do, when drafted at #6 and the team is winning in spite of him

I wanted rex fired after year 3, when he should've moved on from Sanchez.. but 0% chance there's a HC in football that takes his job away before that..

Besides.. the big solution for an alternative was freaken Tebow.. not like the man had options..

But you are roping me into defending Rex, which I am not inclined to do. I simply point our the folly of your Idzik arguments by highlighting the hypocrisy when it comes to rex

And doesn't that indict Idzik to begin with? You are basically saying nobody good would come here because of Wrecks, yet Idzik did

This is The Reason to fire Idzik, because it's the one that wasn't directly impacted by the miasma of Rex's influence: the fact that Idzik took the job in the first place. 

That's just not true.

The Jets are in great cap position and have a lot of young talent at key positions.  With a quality QB, another WR and a couple of corners (which $40mm in cap space can easily get you) this team is poised to be very successful.  That's what rebuilding is, you take a hit for a couple of year as you solidify your base....He's ACCOMPLISHED that...

lol.. so being bad is a necessary part of rebuilding and an accomplishment? 

And where is all this young talent you speak of?

So we have to credit Rex for Richardson, but we cannot discredit Rex for the failures of almost every CB not named Revis who has played for him.

Um....ok.

sure they do, when drafted at #6 and the team is winning in spite of him

I wanted rex fired after year 3, when he should've moved on from Sanchez.. but 0% chance there's a HC in football that takes his job away before that..

Besides.. the big solution for an alternative was freaken Tebow.. not like the man had options..

But you are roping me into defending Rex, which I am not inclined to do. I simply point our the folly of your Idzik arguments by highlighting the hypocrisy when it comes to rex

I like to quote Will Munny in this situation. When accused by Gene Hackman of shooting an unarmed man in Greeley's Bar in Unforgiven, Munny states, "Well, he shoulda armed himself."

Hmm..

If the QB is bad, no coach can save him.  = also true

You mean the coach that doesn't care about offense , does he even know the QB's name or does he read from a index card when doing his pressers. Rex could have Aaron Rodgers and the Jets would still be in 14-10 games. As HC he sets the tone and philosophy for the entire team. Even though Sanchez is still turning the ball over in Philly , he's had like 6 300 yard passing games, this from the QB that most here assured us was 35th best out 32 starting QB's. Open your eyes this system kills Qb's , Geno may still be horrible but until we've thrown away the anchor we have no idea if he can be salvaged. 

I don't think a former GM thinks like a nitwit fan, so he doesn't make statements like "Sheldon Richardson is the only good player out of the 19 that were drafted the last two years."

Did you just call me a nit-wit fan?

Did you come back from vacation cranky?

Ugh.  Another ghost front he past.  Do not like this

Another?

We have always brought in first timers in both the GM and HC spots.  This is exactly what this team needs - someone that's done it before and can come in right the ship.

I hope this isn't just a consultant hire but he becomes the GM.

Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison, Coples, Decker, Harvin, Ivory, Amaro, Kerley - and still many too early to judge...

woah... you named what 3 guys that were actually acquired by Herman Munster.. 2 of whom are stretching the definition of young a bit..

At this pace, we'll field a competitive team by 2025

So we have to credit Rex for Richardson, but we cannot discredit Rex for the failures of almost every CB not named Revis who has played for him.

Um....ok.

I don't remember defending Rex's handling of Cb's or actually Rex at all

he's gotta go..

I'm arguing for Idzik being fired in addition not in replace of rex

woah... you named what 3 guys that were actually acquired by Herman Munster.. 2 of whom are stretching the definition of young a bit..

At this pace, we'll field a competitive team by 2025

Look at any team's past two drafts  - show me the dozens of players on those teams that are contributing . You can't . Drafts are a crapshoot , your lucky to hit on 3 or 4 players in each draft , plus there are usually guys who don't emerge until the 2nd , 3rd , 4th years. Its waaaaaaay too early to deem this years draft as garbage especially when we have players that are still an unknown(Macdougle/Evans/IK/Reilly/Dozier/Enumwa) .

Casserly is often a contributor on NFL AM.  On his segments, I always found him to be engaging, insightful, and very well versed on what was happening, behind the scenes, around the league.  Seems to know everybody.

Signing Decker to that contract is not anything to brag about. He is by far the highest paid #2 in the league.  And Amaro was not the top TE in last years draft. Ebron and jenkins were both better.

Why doesn't his first year matter?  Richardson was a great pick and Ivory was a very good trade, and he found someone stupid enough to give a top ten pick for Revis. he should get credit for it and take the hit for the guys that did not pan out.

And it is not too early to judge his drafts, the guys played in the league either one or two years already.  The average career is only 4 years. If anyone needed 3 seasons to determine that Hill could not catch, he does not belong in the NFL. He already judged that 5 of his picks this year could not play after 2 months of camp, he did not need three years to do so.  That three year crap is for guys like Dozier late rd, small school guys that need loads of development and most likely will not see playing time for a couple of seasons.  Not guys like Millner who was a starter and came from a semi-pro team .

Are you saying that Idzik could not hire any of his own scouts or just that Bradway had to be kept on staff? He hired Boller as head scout  and then fired him the same year.  He is a personnel man that can't pick personnel talent never mind coaching talent.

The jets, Browns, Jags Raiders, bucs all the 3 and 4 win teams have 40+ to spend, that is not anything to be proud of, just a result of not having any talent on the team getting paid big bucks. 

Archived