Woody Hiring Charlie Casserly as consultant (MERGED)

Seth

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly not a vote of confidence for Idzik, having the owner hire a former GM to consult. I prefer Casserly to Korn-Ferry, too.

Good news.

Or, the first thing Casserly explains to Woody is what an egregious mistake it was to force a failed coach on a new GM, and how inevitable this collapse was, and Woody comes to understand how stupid he really is.

Casserly being retained as a consultant because he's a football guy who knows football people. His past decisions made as GM are irrelevant because he's not deciding who to draft or who to sign as a FA.

He's consulting on who to hire to make such decisions.

Casserly being retained as a consultant because he's a football guy who knows football people. His past decisions made as GM are irrelevant because he's now deciding who to draft or who to sign as a FA.

There is your winner. Good work

Casserly being retained as a consultant because he's a football guy who knows football people. His past decisions made as GM are irrelevant because he's now deciding who to draft or who to sign as a FA.

There is your winner. Good work

Doesn't the guys judgment regarding FA signings and draft picks sort of relate to the people he thinks are well suited to make those decisions?  The general philosophy of the guys that he might recommend?  

Doesn't the guys judgment regarding FA signings and draft picks sort of relate to the people he thinks are well suited to make those decisions?  The general philosophy of the guys that he might recommend?  

He is a proven football executive- did he make all right decisions-of course not no one does. At least step is positive to get some one that has experience in running a team

This is The most responsible thing that Woody has probably done since buying this franchise. The best thing he could do is sell but since he won't, this is a start

Yeah, I'm in shock the dunce actually orchestrated this move.  Casserly is well respected around the league and has a ton of experience and contacts.

Yeah, I'm in shock the dunce actually orchestrated this move.  Casserly is well respected around the league and has a ton of experience and contacts.

Sure.  He was on the right side of that Ricky Williams trade.  They still ended up with Champ Bailey and LeVar Arrington the following year.  He sure made a bunch of moves.  Not exactly golden with the QBs though.  Culpepper and Joey Porter for Brad Johnson?  Heath Shuler at #3 overall?  

EDIT:  That was supposed to quote Frank.  Oh well. 

Yeah, I'm in shock the dunce actually orchestrated this move. Casserly is well respected around the league and has a ton of experience and contacts.

The fact that the season isn't even over should be delicious for the sadists among us. I told myself I was going to swear off Drama for awhile but I think this just reengaged me for a couple months. Dammit!

So, you guys really think that a former GM is going to come in here and blame the current GM for the well-established dysfunction surrounding the Jets? It's a lot more likely that Casserly takes his check, then sits Woody down and explains to him exactly what a GM's job actually is, what a coach's job actually is, and (most importantly) just how far an owner needs to stay away from the business of running a football team. Casserly isn't here to fire anyone. He's here to illustrate for Woody an organizational template that winning teams tend to use. Remember: Woody learned everything he knows about the business of running a football team from human cockroaches Neil Glat and Mike Tannenbaum, whose only talents were/are leeching on the Johnson family trust. If Casserly, as a consultant, takes him out to the woodshed and explains why the entire league laughs at him and his hobby-horse franchise, that's a huge win.

So, you guys really think that a former GM is going to come in here and blame the current GM for the well-established dysfunction surrounding the Jets? It's a lot more likely that Casserly takes his check, then sits Woody down and explains to him exactly what a GM's job actually is, what a coach's job actually is, and (most importantly) just how far an owner needs to stay away from the business of running a football team. Casserly isn't here to fire anyone. He's here to illustrate for Woody an organizational template that winning teams tend to use. Remember: Woody learned everything he knows about the business of running a football team from human cockroaches Neil Glat and Mike Tannenbaum, whose only talents were/are leeching on the Johnson family trust. If Casserly, as a consultant, takes him out to the woodshed and explains why the entire league laughs at him and his hobby-horse franchise, that's a huge win.

I thought he learned everything from his father, who was fired by his grandfather for gross incompetence.

So you really think that a former GM is going to come in here and not question why Sheldon Richardson is the only good player out of the 19 that were drafted the last two years?

Casserly isn't here to fire anyone. 

Woody: You're gonna lay off John and  Rex?

Charlie: Oh yeah, we're gonna bring in some entry-level graduates, farm some work out to Singapore, that's the usual deal.

Charlie: Standard operating procedure.

Woody: Do they know this yet?

Charlie: No. No, of course not. We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.

Could be a sensible move if it's the first step to a complete house cleaning-Ryan, Idzik, Bradway, the entirety of the football people. If it's only to musical chair swap of titles and offices, no point. Casserly seems like a sharp enough guy to not get involved with that nonsense, but a big paycheck at tht end of his career might allow him to debase himself.

I understand - through Rich Cimini - that Casserly will not make the decision to fire or retain Rex or Idzik, but to help him structure the new front office, which could include himself as personnel director, ostensibly booting Bradway from his perch. Casserly sort of blew it in Houston where his first pick was David Carr, but Houston was an expansion team so it's harder to judge since no players were there when he got there. He did better as he went along with 2006 bringing Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Owen Daniels and Eric Winston. He also drafted Andre Johnson. B+

So you really think that a former GM is going to come in here and not question why Sheldon Richardson is the only good player out of the 19 that were drafted the last two years?

I don't think a former GM thinks like a nitwit fan, so he doesn't make statements like "Sheldon Richardson is the only good player out of the 19 that were drafted the last two years."

This is one of the funniest examples of wishful thinking I've ever read here, and that's saying something.

Always an interesting post from Shane. To the woodshed with Woody. I'm all for that, it is probably about time.

I don't think a former GM thinks like a nitwit fan, so he doesn't make statements like "Sheldon Richardson is the only good player out of the 19 that were drafted the last two years."

So name me another good, and productive player outside Richardson?

Or, the first thing Casserly explains to Woody is what an egregious mistake it was to force a failed coach on a new GM, and how inevitable this collapse was, and Woody comes to understand how stupid he really is.

The problem with this spin is Casserly said Rex should have won Coach of the year last year with the crap roster he won 8 games with, so I'm pretty sure he didn't think Rex was the problem heading into this season.

This is one of the funniest examples of wishful thinking I've ever read here, and that's saying something.

I'm sure I can find one in this very thread that implies that Casserly is going to walk into a room, fire John Idzik, then leave. That's wishful thinking for those that are trying to avoid Rex's well-earned public shaming.

So name me another good, and productive player outside Richardson?

Damn few.

I think Milliner and McDougle will probably be fine down the road, if either can stay healthy.  Pryor will be alright as well.

Jace Amaro is IMO, a legit pass-weapon in a decent O with a decent QB (we have neither).

Bohannon is a decent player as well, if in a position few use anymore.

Aye, damn few for two years.  Too few.

Casserly saves Rex's bacon in 3..2...1...?

I'm sure I can find one in this very thread that implies that Casserly is going to walk into a room, fire John Idzik, then leave. That's wishful thinking for those that are trying to avoid Rex's well-earned public shaming.

Here's a little blurb from Casserly back in October:

Not addressing the cornerback position was huge because (of) two things: One, any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, ‘Give me corners. That’s what I need, is corners.’ When you watch their defense, they’ve never had a legitimate outside pass rusher you have to game-plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free.

“So that’s an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs,” Casserly continued. “From the outside-in, that’s the obvious one we look at there. It’s a legitimate question because clearly there’s not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.

Woody hired a consultant who thinks a lot of Rex, and not much of Idzik. You can wishful think away, but Casserly is more likely to suggest keeping Rex and buying the groceries for him than he is to suggest Idzik stay on to hire his own coach.

And no billionaire is hiring a consultant to tell him to keep his nose out of his own business, and no consultant remains employed doling out that kind of advice.

link: http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2014/10/16/charley-casserly-not-enough-talent-for-jets-to-compete/

Casserly was last successful in the NFL what, around 1998 or so? 

Perfect choice for Woody....if it were three decades ago.

Hey, a hear Heath Shuler and Joe Gibbs are available, lets get those hot commodities while we still can!

Casserly is often a contributor on NFL AM.  On his segments, I always found him to be engaging, insightful, and very well versed on what was happening, behind the scenes, around the league.  Seems to know everybody.

what is the argument for keeping Idzik, why hire a coach to basically start over with a GM on a short leash.... makes no sense..

Idzik has been an aobomination, you don't go 3-13 with 20M in unused cap space and survive

Damn few.

I think Milliner and McDougle will probably be fine down the road, if either can stay healthy.  Pryor will be alright as well.

Jace Amaro is IMO, a legit pass-weapon in a decent O with a decent QB (we have neither).

Bohannon is a decent player as well, if in a position few use anymore.

Aye, damn few for two years.  Too few.

Casserly saves Rex's bacon in 3..2...1...?

Milliner and McDougle are both coming off serious leg injuries, and both have had significant injuries previously, really not boding well for them at all.

Amaro is okay.

The Terminator > Bohanon at what is essentially a useless position.

what is the argument for keeping Idzik, why hire a coach to basically start over with a GM on a short leash.... makes no sense..

Idzik has been an aobomination, you don't go 3-13 with 20M in unused cap space and survive

Couldn't agree more.  

Keeping Idzik would not make any sense.  Nor would keeping Rex at this point either.  A complete house cleaning is needed and hopefully that is exactly what Casserly is telling Woody right now.

I don't believe Idzik has done as poor a job as everyone's making him out to be and doesn't deserve to be fired...BUT....

At this point he has to go.  Bringing in a new coach and hopefully a new scouting department...with Idzik being villainized by Jet fans you can't ask a new coach to walk into a situation like that...

I don't believe Idzik has done as poor a job as everyone's making him out to be and doesn't deserve to be fired...BUT....

At this point he has to go.  Bringing in a new coach and hopefully a new scouting department...with Idzik being villainized by Jet fans you can't ask a new coach to walk into a situation like that...

What has he done well in 2 years?

1) Richardson

2) Win the coveted trophy for most unused cap space in year 2. It's sitting right next to Pennington's top completion % trophies

and?

Couldn't agree more.  

Keeping Idzik would not make any sense.  Nor would keeping Rex at this point either.  A complete house cleaning is needed and hopefully that is exactly what Casserly is telling Woody right now.

Hopefully Woody is getting this advice if he hasn't learned it himself by now.  No more half fixes, no more demotions, no more requiring staff being kept on board...Bring in a new regime, clear out the old regime and let them start over.

Archived