Woody Hiring Charlie Casserly as consultant (MERGED)

Seth

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing a smart HC would do is get rid of the 3-4 and implement a 4-3, which the Jets personnel is better suited.

Wrecks tried inserting square pegs into round holes.

kind of amazing considering he drafted these guys too. but i agree at this point in time they are better off benching or cutting Harris and going with a 4-3 where Coples plays with his hand in the dirt.

If Casserly is hired, Bobby Grier, the current Senior Personnel Advisor of the Texans, could be a potential option for GM if Idzik is fired.

He's been an executive in the NFL since '82 and has been with the Texans since 2000. Before that, he was with the Patriots and was the only executive to contact Lloyd Carr about Brady.

kind of amazing considering he drafted these guys too. but i agree at this point in time they are better off benching or cutting Harris and going with a 4-3 where Coples plays with his hand in the dirt.

Yep, Wilk, Snacks, Richadson and Coples in his correct position, would be dominant.

No need for those gimmicky zone blitzes because those 4 would bring the heat on their own, especially right up the middle, which every single QB hates.

Draft a fast, athletic MLB, grab a good CB in FA and the defense would be much better than what Wrecks put on the field the last 3 years.

There are going to be 10 open jobs in about 10 days 

the fact that we are talking about Norv Turner and Gary Kubiak should put the Rex Ryan era into perspective.  

Who can they really get that's going to be "instant upgrade" ?? the D is going to get worse. 

as opposed to the GM position literally anyone would be an upgrade.

with 44 mil under the cap we have a lot of options we can concentrate on offense through the draft and defense via FA  or reverse that based on whats available ...this is a gold mine for a HC or GM having the opportunity to build a team to their liking with some good players already in place.

The last time we searched for a GM we were in Cap hell and a cluster**** much different situation much better than some other teams looking for a HC

the fact that we are talking about Norv Turner and Gary Kubiak should put the Rex Ryan era into perspective.  

Who can they really get that's going to be "instant upgrade" ?? the D is going to get worse. 

You get a coach who actually pays attention to Special Teams, and the Jets can actually win 2-3 games on that unit alone next year. The Jets were possibly the most pitiful unit on special teams that I have ever seen from a Jets team. So many hidden yards they gave up.

You get a coach who actually pays attention to Special Teams, and the Jets can actually win 2-3 games on that unit alone next year. The Jets were possibly the most pitiful unit on special teams that I have ever seen from a Jets team. So many hidden yards they gave up.

+1000

Punt return got Pats going yesterday

Blocked FG

Just curious, what 10 jobs are going to be open? Chicago appears ready to give Trestman another year. Same with Miami. I'm assuming all of the 1st year coaches are safe. Gus Bradley of Jax? I know each year there are a couple of surprises but usually there are at least 5 or 6 obvious casualties, this year there are 2. This is a great opportunity for the Jets to get the BEST coach available.

Please elaborate of who your 10 are?

ME LIKEY!!!

About time Woody gains advice from someone who actually understands the game. This smells like a clean house is coming.

I like it...He's a football guy.

link?

The Woody hate throughout Jets fans is overrated. Great move. 

Certainly not a vote of confidence for Idzik, having the owner hire a former GM to consult. I prefer Casserly to Korn-Ferry, too.

Good news.

I agree with all of this. Casserly is a guy I suggested as a replacement for Tanny, I got a little flamed for it at the time, but I still think he'll do more good than anything else, if empowered to do so.

I actually dislike Rex tremendously as a person, he is a cockroach who leaks gossip to the media, and has thrown so many people under the bus to save his own worthless hide i have lost count.

Really? i always thought Rex was always taking the blame for everyone...

I thought that Pettine was the leaker.... What did old rex say to the media? 

BB hates him and likewise. He is a football guy that worked for and with a lot of coaches, owners and players solid choice

This our best chance of getting a sound managrment together. Whomever convinced Woody to make this move - God bless them!

Bad Move. Bill Polion shouldve been hired as a consultant. Where the hell are the Redskins and the Texans now? And...

Controversy with Bill Belichick[edit]

At the end of the 2009 NFL season, Casserly stated that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs. His analysis, however, was refuted by Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who stated, "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong."

Casserly caused further controversy when he reported on CBS' NFL pregame show (October 10, 2010) that a confrontation between Tom Brady and Randy Moss occurred following New England's 38-30 victory over the Buffalo Bills, that the two had to be separated, and that this was the impetus for the trade of Moss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Belichick's criticism of Casserly stemmed from a December 2006 incident where the Miami Dolphins suggested they'd received game tape that included audio of Brady. Casserly said the Patriots had been warned about their videotaping practices - "(they had a staff member) dressed in coaching attire with a video camera who was presumably videotaping the other team's signals. You can't do that. They were warned." Belichick responded that he'd been told nothing from the league about it and sarcastically asked, "Why don't you go talk to Charley Casserly? He seems to have all the answers on everything."[8]

After reading this, i like this Casserly guy even more. Any enemy of Bellicheat is a friend of mine.

I guess that's where we differ most.  I was always under the impression this team was going to get worse before it got better.  That's what I believe it takes to rebuild.

I'm tired of 9-7, sneak into the playoffs and hope for some miraculous run.  I would much rather attempt to build a team that can have long term success and be perennial Super Bowl contender.  That was Idzik's plan...Unfortunately for him (and through that most Jet fans) he won't be allowed to do that.

any GM is going to be too scared not to spend the full cap and what we'll get is more overpriced talent and a very average team that may or may not sneak into the playoffs.

Jet fans are happy with 8 and 9 win teams - people keep their jobs with that - Idzik was trying to build something more..

This, i agree whole-heartedly however, the one only position that Idzik simply wasn’t permitted to strike out on was the QB position. if Geno had shown signs of improvement this year, most would be OK in giving Idzik more years to work his plan.  

Yep, Wilk, Snacks, Richadson and Coples in his correct position, would be dominant.

No need for those gimmicky zone blitzes because those 4 would bring the heat on their own, especially right up the middle, which every single QB hates.

Draft a fast, athletic MLB, grab a good CB in FA and the defense would be much better than what Wrecks put on the field the last 3 years.

The fast athletic MLB is possibly on the roster, Antonio Allen could easily convert to that position, he played a rover MLB/SS position in college, has the height, and speed to cover the TE's, and RB's, and speed to go sideline to sideline. And with a front 4 of Any combo of Coples, Snacks, Richardson, Ellis, MoWilk, and Douzable he won't have to make to many plays in the middle on up the gut power runs those guys will gobble up the majority, see Detroit for instance. I think Allen is a perfect fit for the new breed MLB starting to surface alla Bobby Wagner, and Ray Ray Armstrong.

Any football mind is a good thing to have around when it comes to Woody. He is just the consultant .. Not GM. Obvious but needs to be stated again for some people

Is it possible that he hired him as a consultant because season wasn't over and he will become GM when season ends?

He was GM from '89-'99 which included one SB.

Casserly also drafted Heath Shuler #3 overall and David Carr #1 overall.

Casserly with Houston finished 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 2-14.

Casserly sucks.

This is a terrible move and Im not just stating that because he is a Jet. If Casserly recommends Norv Turner you guys will be cursing the both of them.

Really? i always thought Rex was always taking the blame for everyone...

I thought that Pettine was the leaker.... What did old rex say to the media?

the leaks kept coming after petite left town , same leaks to the same reporter with the same agenda...just my opinion but blaming Petine for the leaks was just another example of rex passing the blame on someone else...he's a cockroach.

Casserly sucks.

This is a terrible move and Im not just stating that because he is a Jet. If Casserly recommends Norv Turner you guys will be cursing the both of them.

POS Satanchick dislikes Casserly for calling for the NFL to investigate Patriot cheating

SO

Of couse every semi retarded pat troll is required to jump in and pile on

Casserly sucks.

wouldnt it be ironic though if norv came and won with the jets after Rexs " I would've won 4 Super Bowls with norvs roster" jibberish?...not saying it's gonna happen but..

“So that’s an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs,” Casserly continued. “From the outside-in, that’s the obvious one we look at there. It’s a legitimate question because clearly there’s not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.”

ha ha ha

Okay.  Let me see if I understand.  We are going to go to a 4-3 to get our best players on the field, but we are going to put the same ******* guys on the field?  WTF?  Antonio Allen at MLB?  That is the kind of outside the box thinking that had us playing Marcus Williams and Josh Turner at CB. 

We are seriously discussing Norv Turner?  

Now Rex is the guy that leaked stuff to the press?  What has been leaked this year?  I have not seen much stuff with quotes.  This season I have seen pure conjecture by Manish, Cimini and others.  There is no reason to accept what they say, but I don't see that anybody needs to feed them to write the crap they were writing.  

This place is a madhouse. 

I like Casserly well enough, I think it is a good idea to hire him as an advisor however they jets better have himhelp pick a gm and then let the gm pick the coach.  If this is another one of these idiotic moves in which  the gm and coach are picked independently it'ss be a soj move.

But why Casserly?

Per a league source with knowledge of Johnson's thinking, Johnson would seek Casserly's input if he were to make changes because Casserly is a member of the NFL's Career Development Advisory Panel, a group created by the league at the end of last season to assist teams in their search for front office help.

As Robert Gulliver, the NFL's chief human resources officer, told The New York Times at the time the panel was put together: "At the end of the day, there's a small universe of coaches and G.M.'s who are known, so we wanted to expand the list of talent so you're not relying just on a limited number of contacts."

Two years ago, Johnson had used Jed Hughes, of the executive search firm Korn/Ferry, as part of the process that brought Idzik to the Jets. Hughes had also led the Seahawks' search to land John Schneider, their current GM. But by planning to go with Casserly (if he decides to make a change, that is), Johnson is signaling he wants the Jets' next search led by someone with more direct ties to the NFL than a professional headhunter.

Casserly, who grew up in River Edge and attended Bergen Catholic, spent nearly 30 years as an NFL executive, including 16 as the general manager of Washington and the Texans. He now works in broadcasting, but he's also on the league's advisory panel along with ex-Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi, former Chiefs executive Carl Peterson, former Colts general manager Bill Polian, former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, and former NFL head coaches Tony Dungy, Dennis Green, and John Madden.

www.nj.com/jets

For those jumping to conclusions

With news emerging Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson plans to hire former longtime NFL general manager Charley Casserly as a coaching/GM search consultant, it seems reasonable to wonder: What does Casserly think of the Jets' current roster?

Johnson hasn't yet officially hired Casserly. He will only do so if he needs to hire a new head coach and/or general manager. At this point, with the Jets 3-12, Johnson almost certainly will fire coach Rex Ryan after next Sunday's season finale at Miami.

In October, Casserly did an interview with CBS Sports Radio's Tiki Barber and Brandon Tierney. The Jets were 1-5 at this point. Casserly made it clear he did not think very highly of the Jets' overall skill level, saying, "There's not enough talent around that football team to compete."

Casserly laid blame on general manager John Idzik, who could soon be canned, for not giving Ryan enough talent to work with, particularly at cornerback.

"This year, they did not take a corner (in the first round), and they were in desperate need of a corner," Casserly said. "Not addressing the cornerback position was huge because (of) two things: One, any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, 'Give me corners. That's what I need, is corners.' When you watch their defense, they've never had a legitimate outside pass rusher you have to game plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free.

"So that's an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs. From the outside (looking) in, that's the obvious one we look at there. It's a legitimate question, because clearly there's not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year."

If Johnson retains Idzik and makes him part of the coaching search, it will be intriguing to see how Idzik works alongside Casserly, who has been openly critical of Idzik's job performance, specifically with the cornerback situation.

If Johnson decides to fire Idzik, will Casserly guide him toward a new GM with a more extensive background in personnel assessment, something Idzik significantly lacked when Johnson hired him? Casserly wasn't criticizing Idzik's salary cap-management skills in this radio interview. No, he was criticizing Idzik's drafting decisions.

Idzik did draft cornerback Dexter McDougle in the third round this year, after opting for safety Calvin Pryor (a current starter) in the first round.

McDougle could have ended up starting opposite Dee Milliner (last year's top pick by the Jets) if both players hadn't suffered season-ending injuries -- McDougle to his knee, Milliner to his Achilles. Those injuries, and low-priced free agent pickup Dimitri Patterson being cut after going AWOL for a preseason game, left the Jets perilously thin at cornerback.

Casserly acknowledged that a general manager can't entirely be blamed for one position group's failings, especially when tough luck with injuries is involved.

Moreover, a first-round cornerback pick made by Idzik's predecessor, Mike Tannenbaum, has been a major flop -- Kyle Wilson. Did Wilson fail because he wasn't any good, and the Jets overrated him? Or did Ryan and his staff do a poor job of developing Wilson? Casserly wonders.

"How much of that was the coaching staff?" he said. "How much of that was the scouting staff? Who made the final decision? Those are the things you're going to have to figure out, and that's the owner's job to figure that out."

It will soon be Casserly's job to help Johnson figure out the direction of his coaching search. Based on Casserly's critical assessment of the Jets' roster, he seems to understand that one head coaching hire alone (or even a GM hire to go with it) won't change the Jets' fortunes overnight.

www.nj.com/jets

the leaks kept coming after petite left town , same leaks to the same reporter with the same agenda...just my opinion but blaming Petine for the leaks was just another example of rex passing the blame on someone else...he's a cockroach.

Agreed. Also look at Pettine`s defense in Buffalo and Cleveland. Pretty dang good. You know whose defense hasn't been good since Pettine left? Just saying.

Archived