Woody Hiring Charlie Casserly as consultant (MERGED)

Seth

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay. Let me see if I understand. We are going to go to a 4-3 to get our best players on the field, but we are going to put the same ******* guys on the field? WTF? Antonio Allen at MLB? That is the kind of outside the box thinking that had us playing Marcus Williams and Josh Turner at CB.

We are seriously discussing Norv Turner?

Now Rex is the guy that leaked stuff to the press? What has been leaked this year? I have not seen much stuff with quotes. This season I have seen pure conjecture by Manish, Cimini and others. There is no reason to accept what they say, but I don't see that anybody needs to feed them to write the crap they were writing.

This place is a madhouse.

you want madhouse ? Sitting in traffic on the way to the mall made the mistake of putting wfan on, Jody McDonald doing a whole show with the theme that the jets should talk Peyton manning into retiring and taking over football operations ...the mainstream media is such trash you can't even make this stuff up...back to the iPod i went quickly.

Agreed. Also look at Pettine`s defense in Buffalo and Cleveland. Pretty dang good. You know whose defense hasn't been good since Pettine left? Just saying.

Really?  Are you giving him credit for the 2014 Bills D?  He coaches in Cleveland now.  The Bills are a top 5 D this year, last year they wer 20th in yards and 10th in points.  His pretty dang good Browns D is 10th in points/23rd in yards.  Not horrible, but not exactly a world beater.  The Jets D took significant steps backwards when he took over the play calling, but hey... brains of the operation.  The Browns are going 7-9 - WE SHOULD HAVE PROMOTED HIM!!

This is finally the moment we've all been waiting for.

Who the hell are Korn Ferry when it comes to the NFL? Woody is such a dope it's mind boggling. Was he looking for someone to take over the football operations of the NY Jets or a guy to run Market Basket?

I know there will be fans here that will go on search history to find all of the things Casserly has done wrong but the crux of this thing is to get a real "football guy" in here to advise this dolt.

Not only does Casserly have 30 years of experience he has stayed in football & knows what's going on right now too.

He's seen the rule changes & how they have changed the game.

The shear fact that he stood his ground under enormous pressure to take Vince Young while in Texas, and also passed on Reggie Bush for Mario Williams is all I need to know. Talk about taking some heat & not listening to the noise around you.

That's another example why you can't judge a draft in one year. Williams was panned as a bust in the 1st half of that year.

What's going to be most interesting if we go with an offensive coach is what D coordinators are out there?

I guess we'll learn a lot more on Black Friday when we find out what coaching staffs will be gone.

We also need a special teams coach in the worst way.

This might turn out to be the smartest thing Woody has ever done. Casserly I think will have some blunt truth conversations with him regarding our personnel & where he thinks the holes are.

Oh & Kyle Wilson, don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out!

I've said this many times - Geno was his main problem. Had Geno been even average for a young QB and not, literally, the worst QB in the NFL for two years this team would be a very different position right now.

Yes, he deserves a lot of blame for that - but how many GM's miss on QB's? it happens ALL the time.

BS...people need to ******* wake up and realize that we have dogsh*t at QB BECAUSE of Rex...he literally destroys QBs...from his negative reinforcement to having "his" defense "win" TC to going super conservative on offense which creates more turnovers to forcing the WC on his OCs..Rex as HC is why we have the worst QB play in the NFL not the other way aroud

Ih he gets fired it will be a great day for the Jets

Korn-Ferry probably has a better record matching football execs than the guy that hired Norv Turner.  They picked Schneider and Carroll in Seattle, and Reid to KC and O'Brien to the Texans.  USC, Michigan and Texas have used them for coaching searches. The guy that does it, Jed Hughes was a coach with UCLA, the Vikings, Steelers (under Knoll) and Browns.  He's not a "bean counter"

Korn-Ferry probably has a better record matching football execs than the guy that hired Norv Turner.  They picked Schneider and Carroll in Seattle, and Reid to KC and O'Brien to the Texans.  USC, Michigan and Texas have used them for coaching searches. The guy that does it, Jed Hughes was a coach with UCLA, the Vikings, Steelers (under Knoll) and Browns.  He's not a "bean counter"

Well WHO THE F*CK cares.

They screwed up our Jets!

They picked Reid & Obrien? Lmao!

Ooh, the two best available coaches at the time...damn day be some smart fellers.

Well WHO THE F*CK cares.

They screwed up our Jets!

They picked Reid & Obrien? Lmao!

Ooh, the two best available coaches at the time...damn day be some smart fellers.

They seemed to get things right with Pete Carroll, even when the move was knocked at the time.  And though O'Brien was a hot name he had no guarantee of success.  Teams need to do their due dilligence even on "obvious" names. 

Problem for us is not Korn Ferry.  It's finding a strong candidate who would also choose our situation over another situation elsewhere.

The fast athletic MLB is possibly on the roster, Antonio Allen could easily convert to that position, he played a rover MLB/SS position in college, has the height, and speed to cover the TE's, and RB's, and speed to go sideline to sideline. And with a front 4 of Any combo of Coples, Snacks, Richardson, Ellis, MoWilk, and Douzable he won't have to make to many plays in the middle on up the gut power runs those guys will gobble up the majority, see Detroit for instance. I think Allen is a perfect fit for the new breed MLB starting to surface alla Bobby Wagner, and Ray Ray Armstrong.

I thought of this last night when I saw Cincy using Taylor Mays at linebacker. AA would probably be better suited to the outside (weak side) but the idea is the same. He's a piece you keep bc of that versatility.

Korn-Ferry probably has a better record matching football execs than the guy that hired Norv Turner. They picked Schneider and Carroll in Seattle, and Reid to KC and O'Brien to the Texans. USC, Michigan and Texas have used them for coaching searches. The guy that does it, Jed Hughes was a coach with UCLA, the Vikings, Steelers (under Knoll) and Browns. He's not a "bean counter"

What no impossible

Korn-Ferry probably has a better record matching football execs than the guy that hired Norv Turner. They picked Schneider and Carroll in Seattle, and Reid to KC and O'Brien to the Texans. USC, Michigan and Texas have used them for coaching searches. The guy that does it, Jed Hughes was a coach with UCLA, the Vikings, Steelers (under Knoll) and Browns. He's not a "bean counter"

Please don't tap the tank.

Korn Ferry wasn't the problem and Woody/Jets getting bashed for hiring Korn Ferry is another example of Jet fans being easily manipulated by the local media.

@MMehtaNYDN: Sources: Charley Casserly will be 1 of 2 consultants spearheading the Jets GM/HC search (assuming Idzik is gone). #nyj

@MMehtaNYDN: For those wondering, Bill Parcells is not the second consultant who will be involved in any Jets GM/HC search, per source. #nyj

Manish Mehta...

"For those wondering, George Allen, Vince Lombardi, George Halas and Weeb Ewbank will also NOT be the second consultant hired by Woody

Since, wisely, nobody on the Jets will have anything to do with my sorry, lying ass, I have NO clue who the second consultant will.be or even IF there will be a second consultant which has never stopped me from just making up s**t and never will"

@AlbertBreer: Per source, Jets have approached Ron Wolf about a role as a consultant. Wolf worked for the Jets before going to Green Bay in '91.

@AlbertBreer: Wolf would potentially work with Charley Casserly as the Jets look to chart a course going forward.

@AlbertBreer: Wolf served as a consultant for both the Raiders and Chargers two years ago as they reworked their organization.

@AlbertBreer: Per source, Jets have approached Ron Wolf about a role as a consultant. Wolf worked for the Jets before going to Green Bay in '91.

@AlbertBreer: Wolf would potentially work with Charley Casserly as the Jets look to chart a course going forward.

@AlbertBreer: Wolf served as a consultant for both the Raiders and Chargers two years ago as they reworked their organization.

Wow Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf are coming here to clean this mess.  Woody isn't f*cking around this time. 

Wow Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf are coming here to clean this mess. Woody isn't f*cking around this time.

It's about time. Idc what their recommendations are either. Idc if they say Rex stays, Bradway stays or whatever. At least its two football guys making the call this time and not Robert Half. Like Casserly said in the above article, the whole organization needs to be looked at in terms of why all these failures are happening. Why was the corner position neglected? Why have the drafts been so bad? Who thought it was a good idea to sign the free agents the Jets signed over the last two years? Why no edge rusher? Lots and lots of questions.

The Jets had Wolf in '90-'91. He left NY to build Green Bay. Wolf assembled the Holmgren - Favre - Reggie White Packers.

Why does Ron Wolf need Casserly?

I think Rex is done. At least I hope so.

I don't think Wolf needs Casserly. Seems Woody wants 2 opinions not just 1.

Because this team wasn't winning anyway this year. I would rather have saved the money for when they can win....It didn't work and he's going to lose his job for it - but I just feel it's pre-mature. You're asking for exactly what you said you don't want. If he spent the money this team would have maybe won 8 games (maybe) and Idzik would still have his job....

The money wasn't spent because he didn't know what Geno was - If Geno turned out to be a quality starter Idzik likely would have went all in in '15. He missed on his QB - that's why they have 3 wins.

So signing players this offseason that can help your team in the present and future was stupid because it wouldn't have matter and thats a smart thing to do? You add talent when you can add talent, period. That's how you get better.

So what's the difference this upcoming offseason? Does it matter now? Are the Jets winning next year? Should they spend now?

Pretty flawed logic if you ask me. When talent is available and they are going to help the team, you sign them not wait for when it will matter.

So signing players this offseason that can help your team in the present and future was stupid because it wouldn't have matter and thats a smart thing to do? You add talent when you can add talent, period. That's how you get better.

So what's the difference this upcoming offseason? Does it matter now? Are the Jets winning next year? Should they spend now?

Pretty flawed logic if you ask me. When talent is available and they are going to help the team, you sign them not wait for when it will matter.

Obv.. + If Idzik's guy Geno had taken a major step forward this year, which you'd think Idzik was expecting, it makes even less sense to go into the season completely unarmed as playoffs would've been a possibility.

Obv.. + If Idzik's guy Geno had taken a major step forward this year, which you'd think Idzik was expecting, it makes even less sense to go into the season completely unarmed as playoffs would've been a possibility.

The team finished 8-8 and won their last 3 of 4 but Idzik knew they weren't going to win this season so why spend all that money he cleared the year before?

If that's the logic, why are we judging Rex off wins this season? We weren't going to winning either way.

The team finished 8-8 and won their last 3 of 4 but Idzik knew they weren't going to win this season so why spend all that money he cleared the year before?

If that's the logic, why are we judging Rex off wins this season? We weren't going to winning either way.

We aren't judging Rex off wins alone. We are judging him on an inability to lead a team, creating units in silos, poor game management, myopic approach to accountability in players, stubborn use of systems and an inability to adjust. 

I have left out a few others

Rex coached us to a top 5 draft pick, which was Idzik's plan all along. He should be given a raise

I don't understand why people insist on ascribing this level of certainty regarding Geno to Idzik like he was totally banking on the guy and is some big dummy for having done so. The pick was right, slotting him in to start the season was right, and the best alternative the 'not a football guy' lunkheads can come up with is that we were supposed to take some mid-rounder this year that in overwhelming probability would have just been a complete waste.

I don't understand why people insist on ascribing this level of certainty regarding Geno to Idzik like he was totally banking on the guy and is some big dummy for having done so. The pick was right, slotting him in to start the season was right, and the best alternative the 'not a football guy' lunkheads can come up with is that we were supposed to take some mid-rounder this year that in overwhelming probability would have just been a complete waste.

Not to mention how Jeff Bauer & Marty M endorsed Geno. Marty even met with Geno.

In fact, the Jets' early impressions of Smith came in a meeting at the NFL Scouting Combine with all members of the team's brass, sources informed of the quarterback's draft process said. The Jets felt he was lethargic, disinterested and tired -- unimpressive.

They were convinced to have a second meeting, which came at a dinner in Morgantown, W.Va. The meeting involved Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and several scouts (but not Ryan or general manager John Idzik).

That's where Mornhinweg was sold, where he discovered that Smith's personality and love of football matched his tape. The Jets viewed Smith as a "completely different guy." He was engaged, more into football. Mornhinweg also was in love with Smith based on his game tape.

After the second meeting, they were smitten, though obviously not enough to make Smith a first-round draft pick.

Mornhinweg remains a big fan of Smith's upside and believes Geno is a better option under center even if Sanchez is fully healthy. Smith will have a chance to show that Mornhinweg is right in the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But Smith already has the support of the man running the Gang Green offense, and that's bound to count for a lot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238526/article/geno-smith-impressed-ny-jets-in-second-predraft-meeting

There are no certainties, I said you'd have to imagine he was expecting Geno to take a step forward. Which is reasonable and actually supports your guy. The opposite, he was expecting Geno to be a disaster, makes him even more culpable.

My issue with Idzik is the CB position specifically and overall level of talent on a team with 20M in available cap space. 

Archived