Woody Hiring Charlie Casserly as consultant (MERGED)

Seth

Casserly loves him some Rex Ryan.

Maybe he his consulting convinces Woody to keep him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol this place would explode.

What happens when Casserly tells Woody after Consulting my expert opinion had decided the best thing for your franchise is hiring me as President CEO of operations, and I'm firing Idzik, and hiring a GM, and keeping Rex!

He also loves Winston ON THE FIELD.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

charley casserly

According to Adam Schefter, Woody Johnson is bringing in a veteran NFL consultant.

Consultants don’t generally join an organization after a losing season and recommend staying the course. So you can expect plenty of changes this off-season.

(born c. 1948)
[1]
is an American football sportscaster and former executive. Casserly was the general manager of the National Football League’s Washington Redskins from 1989 to 1999. He served as Senior Vice President & General Manager, Football Operations, for the Houston Texans from 2000 to 2006. He currently works for NFL Network.

In his 23-year career with the Washington Redskins, the team went to four Super Bowls, winning three. Casserly was an assistant to Bobby Beathard for two of the Super Bowl winning seasons. In 2003, NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue appointed him to the NFL’s Competition Committee for the second time (2003–06; 1996–1999).

After leaving the Redskins, Casserly took on the General Manager role for the expansion Houston Texans. With the franchise’s first four selections in the 2002 NFL Draft, Casserly drafted David Carr, Jabar Gaffney,Chester Pitts, and Fred Weary.

During Casserly’s remaining drafts for the Texans, (2003 through 2006), the Texans drafted five eventual Pro-Bowlers: Andre Johnson (WR, 2003), Jerome Mathis (KR, 2005), DeMeco Ryans (LB, 2006), Mario Williams (DE, 2006) and Owen Daniels (TE 2006). Ryans was also named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2006. Mario Williams, who many criticized for being the #1 overall pick in 2006 (behind college standouts Reggie Bush and Vince Young), made the Pro Bowl in the 2008 season.

If this move becomes official, we will post updates. You can expect plenty of Jets news after the season finale against the Miami Dolphins next Sunday. In the meantime fans are discussing in our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
AA9uZmFrKr0

View the full article

I like hearing him speak on TV.  He sounds like he knows what he's talking about.  

You know who else presents well?  Mike Westhoff.  

Mike Westhoff for HC. 

I love Westoff...LOL He said yesterday he wants to hire the Ref that gave the Pats a first down he would never miss a putt.. He has said in the past he would never come back as a ST coach because the game has changed ST's too much..But he would come back in another capacity hinting at a HC job.. Westy don't take crap remember when he said; Why don't(I forgot the player) open up a pizza parlour and stop wasting my time.. :winking0001:

Casserly loves him some Rex Ryan.

Maybe he his consulting convinces Woody to keep him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rex as the DC, he's good at it and understands his players.  

There aren't many people Rex could stand down for and work "beneath", but Mike Westhoff is one of the guys I feel could pull that off.  First, Mike worked under Rex for several years, so it would be more of a shift than a slight.  Second, Rex has to understand that allowing someone else to take control of a job (he's about to lose anyway) is in the team's best interest.  Head Coaching just isn't his strong point.  Third, Mike and Rex still have a tremendous working relationship.  In his latest interview, Westhoff mentioned that he and Rex had spoken about the Patriot's game plan in great detail the thursday before the game.  

They're still working together.  Westhoff loves him some Jets, understands the game, and he pisses nails. 

Keep Rex as the DC, he's good at it and understands his players.

There aren't many people Rex could stand down for and work "beneath", but Mike Westhoff is one of the guys I feel could pull that off. First, Mike worked under Rex for several years, so it would be more of a shift than a slight. Second, Rex has to understand that allowing someone else to take control of a job (he's about to lose anyway) is in the team's best interest. Head Coaching just isn't his strong point. Third, Mike and Rex still have a tremendous working relationship. In his latest interview, Westhoff mentioned that he and Rex had spoken about the Patriot's game plan in great detail the thursday before the game.

They're still working together. Westhoff loves him some Jets, understands the game, and he pisses nails.

This would be a disaster. Not only is it time to turn the page it's time for a new book.

I love Westoff...LOL He said yesterday he wants to hire the Ref that gave the Pats a first down he would never miss a putt.. He has said in the past he would never come back as a ST coach because the game has changed ST's too much..But he would come back in another capacity hinting at a HC job.. Westy don't take crap remember when he said; Why don't(I forgot the player) open up a pizza parlour and stop wasting my time.. :winking0001:

That interview is right here.  Guy's sharp. 

http://web.sny.tv/media/video.jsp?content_id=37072821&topic_id=&tcid=vpp_copy_37072821&v=3

I don't understand the obsession some have with Mike Westhoff but the guy is 66 years old, has never coached anything other than o-line, tight ends or special teams at the NFL level, has never been a head coach at any level, and retired two years ago for the second time after surviving cancer.

He ain't ever getting the job so talking about it is pointless. 

He traded his first pick(5th) in the 1999 draft to the Saints for all their picks plus some the next year so Ditka could take Ricky Williams..LOL

I always liked Casserly and this is a smart move on Woody's part.

Even worse than what you stated Savage, was taking David Carr with the number one pick and then not drafting OLinemen for the next 3 years to protect him.

I don't understand the obsession some have with Mike Westhoff but the guy is 66 years old, has never coached anything other than o-line, tight ends or special teams at the NFL level, has never been a head coach at any level, and retired two years ago for the second time after surviving cancer.

He ain't ever getting the job so talking about it is pointless. 

Hellooo.  Surviving cancer = winner. 

In the 23 years Casserly was with the Redskins, they only had 6 losing seasons, went to four Super Bowls and won three, all with different QBs. 

He traded the 5th pick in the 1999 draft to New Orleans Saints for their entire draft. He then used the 12th pick to select the player he was targeting all along: Champ Bailey.

He was GM from '89-'99 which included one SB.

Casserly also drafted Heath Shuler #3 overall and David Carr #1 overall.

Casserly with Houston finished 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 2-14.

In the 23 years Casserly was with the Redskins, they only had 6 losing seasons, went to four Super Bowls and won three, all with different QBs. 

He traded the 5th pick in the 1999 draft to New Orleans Saints for their entire draft. He then used the 12th pick to select the player he was targeting all along: Champ Bailey. 

He also had the balls to pass on both Vince Young and Reggie Bush for Mario Williams...which obviously has played out pretty well.

He was GM from '89-'99 which included one SB.

Casserly also drafted Heath Shuler #3 overall and David Carr #1 overall.

Casserly with Houston finished 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 2-14.

Seriously.

Why do we never hire anyone with lots of experience and a blemish free resume?

Woody is an idiot!

Archived