Woody Hiring Charlie Casserly as consultant (MERGED)

Seth

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad Move. Bill Polion shouldve been hired as a consultant. Where the hell are the Redskins and the Texans now? And...

Controversy with Bill Belichick[edit]

At the end of the 2009 NFL season, Casserly stated that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs. His analysis, however, was refuted by Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who stated, "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong."

Casserly caused further controversy when he reported on CBS' NFL pregame show (October 10, 2010) that a confrontation between Tom Brady and Randy Moss occurred following New England's 38-30 victory over the Buffalo Bills, that the two had to be separated, and that this was the impetus for the trade of Moss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Belichick's criticism of Casserly stemmed from a December 2006 incident where the Miami Dolphins suggested they'd received game tape that included audio of Brady. Casserly said the Patriots had been warned about their videotaping practices - "(they had a staff member) dressed in coaching attire with a video camera who was presumably videotaping the other team's signals. You can't do that. They were warned." Belichick responded that he'd been told nothing from the league about it and sarcastically asked, "Why don't you go talk to Charley Casserly? He seems to have all the answers on everything."[8]

Belichick not liking him is good enough for me!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rex is getting fired.... deservedly so.. let it go..

They can't hurt you anymore

I really like Casserly but he has always been a guy that pointed at the Jets alck of talent on the offensive side of the ball which he also said contributed to the dysfunction we've been dealing with the past 6 years. if that's the case you sure its 100 % guaranteed Rex gets the boot ? I certainly hope he does but nothing surprises me anymore with this team.

Because this team wasn't winning anyway this year. I would rather have saved the money for when they can win....It didn't work and he's going to lose his job for it - but I just feel it's pre-mature. You're asking for exactly what you said you don't want. If he spent the money this team would have maybe won 8 games (maybe) and Idzik would still have his job....

The money wasn't spent because he didn't know what Geno was - If Geno turned out to be a quality starter Idzik likely would have went all in in '15. He missed on his QB - that's why they have 3 wins.

Please stop making sense...I just want to hate the world.

The Geno miss is just ludicrous speed....what were they THINKING!!! A dum-dum from West Virginia!!! Ugh. Casserly has to start with re scouting

You have a list, I assume.

Rank Player Pos. Age 14 Team Notes 1. Ndamukong Suh DT 28 DET Can Void Deal 2. Demaryius Thomas WR 27 DEN   3. Justin Houston arrow_Up_Green.gif OLB 26 KC   4. Dez Bryant WR 26 DAL   5. Julius Thomas TE 27 DEN   6. Devin McCourty S 28 NE   7. Darrelle Revis arrow_Up_Green.gif CB 30 NE Player Option 8. DeMarco Murray RB 27 DAL   9. Greg Hardy DE 27 CAR On Exempt List 10. Randall Cobb arrow_Up_Green.gif WR 25 GB   11. Jason Pierre-Paul DE 26 NYG   12. Pernell McPhee OLB 26 BAL   13. Jeremy Maclin WR 27 PHI   14. Nick Fairley DT 27 DET   15. Mike Iupati G 28 SF   16. Cliff Avril DE 29 SEA   17. Jared Odrick DT 27 MIA   18. Bryan Bulaga arrow_Up_Green.gif OT 26 GB   19. Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB 26 CLE   20. Jerry Hughes DE 27 BUF   21. Brandon Flowers CB 29 SD   22. Brian Orakpo arrow_down_red.gif OLB 29 WAS   23. Jason Worilds arrow_down_red.gif OLB 27 PIT   24. Michael Crabtree arrow_down_red.gif WR 27 SF   25. Jordan Cameron arrow_down_red.gif TE 27  

Rank Player Pos. Age 14 Team Notes 1. Ndamukong Suh DT 28 DET Can Void Deal 2. Demaryius Thomas WR 27 DEN 3. Justin Houston arrow_Up_Green.gif OLB 26 KC 4. Dez Bryant WR 26 DAL 5. Julius Thomas TE 27 DEN 6. Devin McCourty S 28 NE 7. Darrelle Revis arrow_Up_Green.gif CB 30 NE Player Option 8. DeMarco Murray RB 27 DAL 9. Greg Hardy DE 27 CAR On Exempt List 10. Randall Cobb arrow_Up_Green.gif WR 25 GB 11. Jason Pierre-Paul DE 26 NYG 12. Pernell McPhee OLB 26 BAL 13. Jeremy Maclin WR 27 PHI 14. Nick Fairley DT 27 DET 15. Mike Iupati G 28 SF 16. Cliff Avril DE 29 SEA 17. Jared Odrick DT 27 MIA 18. Bryan Bulaga arrow_Up_Green.gif OT 26 GB 19. Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB 26 CLE 20. Jerry Hughes DE 27 BUF 21. Brandon Flowers CB 29 SD 22. Brian Orakpo arrow_down_red.gif OLB 29 WAS 23. Jason Worilds arrow_down_red.gif OLB 27 PIT 24. Michael Crabtree arrow_down_red.gif WR 27 SF 25. Jordan Cameron arrow_down_red.gif TE 27

...shame there's no QBs in that list

Rank Player Pos. Age 14 Team Notes 1. Ndamukong Suh DT 28 DET Can Void Deal 2. Demaryius Thomas WR 27 DEN   3. Justin Houston arrow_Up_Green.gif OLB 26 KC   4. Dez Bryant WR 26 DAL   5. Julius Thomas TE 27 DEN   6. Devin McCourty S 28 NE   7. Darrelle Revis arrow_Up_Green.gif CB 30 NE Player Option 8. DeMarco Murray RB 27 DAL   9. Greg Hardy DE 27 CAR On Exempt List 10. Randall Cobb arrow_Up_Green.gif WR 25 GB   11. Jason Pierre-Paul DE 26 NYG   12. Pernell McPhee OLB 26 BAL   13. Jeremy Maclin WR 27 PHI   14. Nick Fairley DT 27 DET   15. Mike Iupati G 28 SF   16. Cliff Avril DE 29 SEA   17. Jared Odrick DT 27 MIA   18. Bryan Bulaga arrow_Up_Green.gif OT 26 GB   19. Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB 26 CLE   20. Jerry Hughes DE 27 BUF   21. Brandon Flowers CB 29 SD   22. Brian Orakpo arrow_down_red.gif OLB 29 WAS   23. Jason Worilds arrow_down_red.gif OLB 27 PIT   24. Michael Crabtree arrow_down_red.gif WR 27 SF   25. Jordan Cameron arrow_down_red.gif TE 27  

And I assume we'll be paying exact market price for all of these, assuming none of them are franchised or resigned, because that is not a possibility, everyone goes straight to free agency.

There was a similar list this year guys playing Guard, Cornerback, positions we might have been able to use. Whiff.

And I assume we'll be paying exact market price for all of these, assuming none of them are franchised or resigned, because that is not a possibility, everyone goes straight to free agency.

There was a similar list this year guys playing Guard, Cornerback, positions we might have been able to use. Whiff.

No, they're all not going to be available...but I was asked for a list of potential free agents.  This is list is just to make the point that the Jets can very easily spend their $40mm next year if they wanted to do...and spend it on legitimate talent in positions of need.

In addition to this list they will have to resign some of their own.

No, they're all not going to be available...but I was asked for a list of potential free agents.  This is list is just to make the point that the Jets can very easily spend their $40mm next year if they wanted to do...and spend it on legitimate talent in positions of need.

In addition to this list they will have to resign some of their own.

Aren't Fidelios made by Chef Boyardee?

Bryant and Murray are both UFA?  Very interesting to see what the Cowboys do.

Any one of the half dozen CB's Rex probably asked for.. then I wanted him to stay out of it when it was time to select a starting QB.

Those 2 things and your hero probably wouldn't be getting the ax a week from today.

Omg they're firing Sully Sullenberger next week???

What's wrong with Kubiak? He runs a good offense. He has HC experience. He did well in Houston with Matt effin Schaub....then Matt effin Schaub turned into Matt effin Schaub the next year and he was done.

I'm a believer in Kubiak.

Nothing wrong with kubiak...I thought he did pretty good in Houston too!

I would not mind him at all actually!

Assuming idziot fired and burned at stake!

There are going to be 10 open jobs in about 10 days 

the fact that we are talking about Norv Turner and Gary Kubiak should put the Rex Ryan era into perspective.  

Who can they really get that's going to be "instant upgrade" ?? the D is going to get worse. 

as opposed to the GM position literally anyone would be an upgrade.

the fact that we are talking about Norv Turner and Gary Kubiak should put the Rex Ryan era into perspective.

Who can they really get that's going to be "instant upgrade" ?? the D is going to get worse.

All those jobs open and Rex is going to be narrating Bucs-Jags highlights in Shannon Sharpe's old Slappy the Clown role on CBS.

I don't think the D would necessarily get worse.  The front 7 will still be very good and if we get a real GM who can actually sign free agents we can buy a couple actual starting caliber NFL DB's to put into the secondary.

Rex is a good defensive X's and O's guy but I don't see a defensive downgrade imminent. 

I don't think the D would necessarily get worse. The front 7 will still be very good and if we get a real GM who can actually sign free agents we can buy a couple actual starting caliber NFL DB's to put into the secondary.

Rex is a good defensive X's and O's guy but I don't see a defensive downgrade imminent.

FACT: no team in the history of the sport has ever fielded a good defense without Rex Ryan's input.

Our defense sucked all year...you think a new coach means they're gonna get worse? I beg to differ.

I think no matter who we get our D will get much much better because we're gonna sign players to fill needs with our cap space.

How does one equate Kubiak with a sucky D? Wouldn't you have to find out who our DC will be before you make that leap?

This, too. If Casserly proves to be a credible voice that lends Woody legitimacy in the short term, it wouldn't be shocking to see him brought in full-time. 

We know Johnson HATES confrontation. Makes sense Casserly is being hired to at least be the bad guy, if not the big dog. Which leads to the idea this is a precursor to Florham Park getting a lot of empty offices next Monday. But again caution that an old guy may not be above taking a big check to confirm the biases of a moron like Johnson. But hard to see how it is anything but a housecleaning.PSLs are probably in the toilet, ticket sales are down, TV ratings are down and obviously 4 years of no playoffs to say nothing of no home playoff game nor division title since 1997 means this franchise is doing it very wrong. And even a complete moron like Johnson has to see that. 

As much as i like Rex as a person, i would vote for clearing house. 

I think if Woody was smart, he would have move Rex 2 years ago and brought in a new coach with Idzik. Now that he has hamstrung the GM with Rex, they both need to be let go.

It is sad how all this panned out. I feel bad for both Rex and Idzik. Woody needs to hire some good football minds to run this franchise and back out of the picture a bit.

When the New York Jets make right decisions its for all the wrong reasons.

Is anyone getting scared by the fact that fidelio is making sense when it comes to Idzyk ?

...sticking with Geno is the thing that I keep coming back to...

After witnessing genos football IQ, performance on the field, and then listening to him speak I am completely baffled by the following...

What could have POSSIBLY convinced Idzyk during predraft interviews that Geno was a guy to QB an NFL team? Every time I see Geno play or speak this is the thought that enters my brain. It's completely effin baffling!!

Here's some good news----I don't pretend to know casserly, but, by the little I DO know, I feel there's no way on hell he would have drafted Geno. So we got that going for us.

It's harsh, but based on his Draft Day act, the mopey sideline crap and the nonsense he says every time he opens mouth cannot imagine anyone choosing to have this guy on your team. And that's damning of Idzik. To double down on it this season. "Jet decision", insisting he play, made it worse. 

Our defense sucked all year...you think a new coach means they're gonna get worse? I beg to differ.

?

The first thing a smart HC would do is get rid of the 3-4 and implement a 4-3, which the Jets personnel is better suited.

Wrecks tried inserting square pegs into round holes.

As much as i like Rex as a person, i would vote for clearing house. 

I think if Woody was smart, he would have move Rex 2 years ago and brought in a new coach with Idzik. Now that he has hamstrung the GM with Rex, they both need to be let go.

It is sad how all this panned out. I feel bad for both Rex and Idzik. Woody needs to hire some good football minds to run this franchise and back out of the picture a bit.

When the New York Jets make right decisions its for all the wrong reasons.

I actually dislike Rex tremendously as a person, he is a cockroach who leaks gossip to the media, and has thrown so many people under the bus to save his own worthless hide i have lost count.

How about you? Would you be an upgrade at GM? Why or why not?

Archived