What coach do you want in NY?

drocksthaparty

The team is soooooo undisciplined right now that it will be a very very very difficult job turning this organization around with an unproven coach with no track record. There is no messiah out there this year. I have no idea, but I guess hoping and praying won't hurt. This is 1996 all over a again with no light at the end of the tunnel

What makes you feel the team is undisciplined?  They're in the middle of the pack when it comes to penalties (Seattle is 1st by the way).  Maybe Colon goes off the reservation once in a while but they don't have a problem with individuals committing dumb fouls on a regular basis and the locker room is filled with character guys.  The 12 men on the field BS and guys blowing assignments is more on the coaches than the players, isn't it?  The team just needs a HC who can manage a game and coordinators who can coordinate getting the right players on the field at the right time.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is no sexy candidate this year.  no big name.  

so I want an executive HC that doesn't call plays so he can focus on all 3 phases

I want a guy who sees the NFL is a passing league, and it's all about the passing O and passing D

I want a guy with balls to make the tough call and live with the result, like a surprise onsides

I want a guy who makes the players accountable and enforces discipline

marrone is 3 out of 4 of those as far as I can tell.   

Seattle was 27th in passing, I want what Seattle has, one superbowl and more on the way. 

Seattle is the epitome of ground and pound.  First in Run offense, 27th in Pass offense.  This puts their young QB in a position to be a game manager and not take unnecessary risks, it also makes opponents commit more people to stopping the run.  This leaves receivers in single coverage all over the field and creates mismatches.  They are the model for a dominant team.  Rock solid defense, unstoppable run game and conservative passing game.  It might not suit some folks, but to this day it's a formula for success.   Marshawn Lynch was no great shakes in Buffalo, but has been great for Seattle.  Let's hope the Jets can rebuild their line this year, get a tight end that can block and catch, a fullback who can block and catch and receivers that can block down the field.  Sorry guys I'm not sold on a throw first team, I still remember the Superbowl last year, do you guys?

I have no problem with that. He also passed the ball. 36 times per game. Relative balance

Yes, with the most prolific passer in school history. What was the true strength of that team? Nassib or the run game? It was Nassib, yet he still skewed more to the run game.

What makes you feel the team is undisciplined?  They're in the middle of the pack when it comes to penalties (Seattle is 1st by the way).  Maybe Colon goes off the reservation once in a while but they don't have a problem with individuals committing dumb fouls on a regular basis and the locker room is filled with character guys.  The 12 men on the field BS and guys blowing assignments is more on the coaches than the players, isn't it?  The team just needs a HC who can manage a game and coordinators who can coordinate getting the right players on the field at the right time.

If the players buy into the new HC. remember, youre dealing with 20 something year old millionaires who have been doing whatever they feel like the last 5-6 years. when the new sherrif comes to town they might not like what theyre gonna hear.

I have no problem with that. He also passed the ball. 36 times per game. Relative balance

My issue isn't with the balance. Heck, other than that stupid Miami game and Schotty's 50+ passes against the Giants a while back, WE run a balanced offense.  My issue is WHEN does Marrone like to run?  When its 1st and goal from the nine, does he attack the end zone or does it play it safe to protect the FG?  When it's 4th and 1 from his own 45 and he's playing Brady or Manning, does he push his offense to make it or play it safe and punt and hope his defense can hold?  People get too focused on stats. They are easy to get and quote all over the place. They don't necessarily define the philosophy of the HC. And from what I've read about Marrone from the Buffalo beat writers, he's a conservative, unimaginative by the book kind of coach.  I think he won't embarrass you but he won't make you great either...

Nassib ranked 1st, 2nd or 3rd in all Syracuse passing records, when he left there.

I wonder if Marrone would make a push to get him if he was hired.  Ryan Nassib was drafted in the fourth round, perhaps an earlier pick (say a late third) + Matt Simms (what, with his Giants connection) could get it done.  

The kind of HC I want I someone who will manage the game and his coaching staff without micromanaging his coordinators. I want a HC who will have the full support of the ownership and whoever the GM is. I want a HC who's articulate with the media but only as forth coming as the rules dictate.

We had that once but management sabotaged him.

When you are charged with the task of leadership and all those under you "Like You", there's a darn good chance you're doing something wrong.

They're some players, fans and media members who don't like Doug Marrone because he did it his way and not theirs, just like  Frankie Blue Eyes told us.  

That's good enough for me.

If he's the choice, then let's saddle up and ride, but if he's not, find me someone with his type of sand and let's ride.

FTR, I'm okay with Marrone. 

He has a sleazy--leave the crap team to join their divisional rival--presence about him.  It's almost Belichikian sleazy.

I'm less worried about Marrone becoming our HC, as I am in who would step in as our DC.  

FTR, I'm okay with Marrone.

He has a sleazy--leave the crap team to join their divisional rival--presence about him. It's almost Belichikian sleazy.

I'm less worried about Marrone becoming our HC, as I am in who would step in as our DC.

Is it possible he takes Schwartz with him? His last 2 hires for DC have worked out well with Pettine and Schwartz.

Is it possible he takes Schwartz with him? His last 2 hires for DC have worked out well with Pettine and Schwartz.

I'd be cool with that.  It should be noted that Schwartz is a Buffalo HC candidate, but after this past winter, it shouldn't be difficult to lure coaches out of Buffalo. 

I don't even want to TALK about HC's. I prefer to let the GM make that decision. It is being reported that Casserly has a man crush on Marrone and is 'guiding' Woody Johnson toward him. I don't even want to think about hiring a HC BEFORE the GM is in place. Even if the new GM is Ryan Pace, who has a relationship with Marrone, it doesn't mean he would want to hire him. I will toss Woody Johnson from his luxury box head first if he ****s this up. 

When you don't have a qualified QB, your OL is better at run blocking than pass protection and your RBs are better than your WRs, it makes way more sense to run the ball twice as much as you throw the ball.  Doug Marrone did that in Buffalo with EJ Manuel until both his RBs got injured then he went out and signed a Veteran QB, turned the team over to him and threw the ball more.

Seems to me the man adapted to what the situation called for.

When you don't have a qualified QB, your OL is better at run blocking than pass protection and your RBs are better than your WRs, it makes way more sense to run the ball twice as much as you throw the ball.  Doug Marrone did that in Buffalo with EJ Manuel until both his RBs got injured then he went out and signed a Veteran QB, turned the team over to him and threw the ball more.

Seems to me the man adapted to what the situation called for.

And another vote that Marrone was the HC and the GM.. :animal0029:

I would be fine with whoever Casserly and Wolf recommend. Most of us were happy that Woody signed them on as advisers so at this point most of us should be happy with who they recommend. It they choose Marrone then why are people going to say "same ol jets"? Wolf and Cassely could be wrong and we will only know that in a few years but we should be much more comfortable with them over just Woody making that call.

Personally, all the coaches available do not stand out to me. I was on board of getting a Harbaugh, a Cowher, or even a Gruden and giving him full authority of the team.

Jets always suck at the wrong times.

love to give Cowher all this mess but he told a radio station that he does not want to coach anymore.

I would be fine with whoever Casserly and Wolf recommend. Most of us were happy that Woody signed them on as advisers so at this point most of us should be happy with who they recommend. It they choose Marrone then why are people going to say "same ol jets"? Wolf and Cassely could be wrong and we will only know that in a few years but we should be much more comfortable with them over just Woody making that call.

If Wolf and Casserly were worth their salt as 'consultants' then they would be telling Woody to hire the front office guy first and let him choose the HC. They wouldn't be interviewing guys at the same time. Look at it from both perspectives. A potential GM candidate knowing the Jets are interviewing HC's may withdraw (George Paton, Eric DeCosta) because they don't know if they will have input into the new coach. Other GM prospects may be being lined up along WITH  a specific HC candidate (Marrone) to see if they can work together. Either was it smells of the same mistake Woody made with Idzik and Rex.

And another vote that Marrone was the HC and the GM.. :animal0029:

Come on Savage, that some stretch isn't it. If your GM and HC are supposed to work together for the good of the team, can't you see where the HC could go to his GM with that request and the GM grants it.

Just maybe if Idzik granted more of Rex's request, both men might still be employed by the Jets.  I doubt it, but it's possible.  

If Wolf and Casserly were worth their salt as 'consultants' then they would be telling Woody to hire the front office guy first and let him choose the HC. They wouldn't be interviewing guys at the same time. Look at it from both perspectives. A potential GM candidate knowing the Jets are interviewing HC's may withdraw (George Paton, Eric DeCosta) because they don't know if they will have input into the new coach. Other GM prospects may be being lined up along WITH  a specific HC candidate (Marrone) to see if they can work together. Either was it smells of the same mistake Woody made with Idzik and Rex.

I agree - should be GM first and let him do his own HC search...

With that said - The more I read the more I think all of this interviewing is for show..They've already made their decision and both jobs are already, unofficially, filled.

Unless Marrone finds the next Tom Brady we will be in the same spot 2 to 3 years from now. If we do hire Doug hopefully him bring Schwartz with him.

Not really if he plays to the strength of his players instead of forcing the players he have to play a scheme they can't.   Why can't anyone see that Rex only knows 1 way to coach and it's with pressure and CBs who can play on an island.

Why didn't the Jets just play  Allen at FS, Pryor at SS and the CBs in zone.  

Come on Savage, that some stretch isn't it. If your GM and HC are supposed to work together for the good of the team, can't you see where the HC could go to his GM with that request and the GM grants it.

Just maybe if Idzik granted more of Rex's request, both men might still be employed by the Jets.  I doubt it, but it's possible.  

Had you put it that way I wouldn't bust your Chops..LOL And Rex should have been screaming since 2009 when he took over without a decent QB on the roster.. That was 100% on him and on Tanny for giving Favre his release..

Not really if he plays to the strength of his players instead of forcing the players he have to play a scheme they can't.   Why can't anyone see that Rex only knows 1 way to coach and it's with pressure and CBs who can play on an island.

Why didn't the Jets just play  Allen at FS, Pryor at SS and the CBs in zone.

Well hopefully he finds a QB he can work with. I don't think the Bills would have been much without their defense. I never said anything about Rex or am I saying we should have kept him. I just don't see all the hype with Marrone.

Well hopefully he finds a QB he can work with. I don't think the Bills would have been much without their defense. I never said anything about Rex or am I saying we should have kept him. I just don't see all the hype with Marrone.

That's because everyone and maybe even you is looking for the next offensive genius or defensive Genius to be the HC.  I want a HC who can manage a team, and the next offensive Genius as my OC and the next defensive  genius as my DC. I also want both men to have young assistants who can take over when these geniuses get HC calls.

I don't know if you remember when Pep Hamilton was an offensive assistant/ coffee getter when Herm was the HC. I remember watching that kid and saying he was going to be an excellent offensive coordinator.

If Wolf and Casserly were worth their salt as 'consultants' then they would be telling Woody to hire the front office guy first and let him choose the HC. They wouldn't be interviewing guys at the same time. Look at it from both perspectives. A potential GM candidate knowing the Jets are interviewing HC's may withdraw (George Paton, Eric DeCosta) because they don't know if they will have input into the new coach. Other GM prospects may be being lined up along WITH a specific HC candidate (Marrone) to see if they can work together. Either was it smells of the same mistake Woody made with Idzik and Rex.

Your completely wrong. Not one GM prospect has refused to interview with the Jets that has interviewed with any other team. Not one

Archived