Deflate-Gate \ Patriots Cheating Again Thread: MERGED

indygirl4jets

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks are saying Belly hung Brady out to dry, threw under Bus etc,,

Maybe, just maybe he was told by Brady Monday "Ya, I've been telling our ballboys to do that to our balls for years"

Belly may have done a WTF and said 'This one is one you big fella'

The most reasonable explanation which fits the available facts is simply that Belichick is lying through his teeth AGAIN after having been caught cheating AGAIN

or the Leprechauns came up out of the storm drains and sucked air or of 11 balls

No last detail is unknown by Mumbles, He hired Ernie Adams for subterfuge. He already admitted they submit balls at 12.5. Once in ballboys hands voila it goes down to 11 or lower. Ballboy wraps balls in towel so they cannot be seen. So EZ to place a pin in them

Retired QBs are now commenting on it: "I think this has been going on all year with Tom and the equipment guys. It's become unspoken. The equipment guys know that Tom likes a softer ball and so they do this trying to make him happy. The equipment guys secretly take some air out of the balls after the referees have inspected them before the game. It's just this time, they got caught. I'm not sure Belichick even knew."

http://www.news-press.com/story/sports/2015/01/22/retired-nfl-official-explains-safeguarding-footballs/22167675/

So a retired official weighs in... “Someone had to have gone over there and messed with them,” Rose said of the footballs. “Somebody probably had to have gotten a needle and let air out of it. It’s not hard to do. You can let air out of a ball pretty quick.”

Retired NFL official explains safeguarding of footballs

Retired NFL official Larry Rose has worked about 350 NFL games, including Super Bowl XLII, in which the New York Giants defeated the New England Patriots. So the longtime Fort Myers resident knows a thing or two about how footballs are cared for and safeguarded.Deflate-gate the latest NFL controversy on whether the New England Patriots intentionally deflated their own footballs for a competitive advantage, grabbed Rose’s attention.

Over the course of his 17-year NFL career as a side judge, Rose had worked with all of the officials on the field for New England’s 45-7 victory against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship game Sunday. “Someone had to have gone over there and messed with them,” Rose said of the footballs. “Somebody probably had to have gotten a needle and let air out of it. It’s not hard to do. You can let air out of a ball pretty quick.”

Rose, who said he had not spoken yet with his former colleagues, went through the step-by-step process of how officials care for game-day footballs. “Here’s how it works,” Rose said. “There are 12 kicking balls that come to the hotel. Those balls are in a box, sealed. We take them with us to the stadium. We clean them. We rub them. We scrub them. We do everything with them. “Then each team brings in their own balls. Indianapolis will bring in their balls, and those balls will have Colts burned into them. The Patriots bring their balls, and those balls have Patriots burned into the leather.

“Usually there are two-to-four ballboys for each team. They bring the balls in. We clean them up, scrub them up, and we put a marking on them. Each referee puts a marking on the ball, or a signature. So we have 12 or 24 balls from each team, depending on the weather.“As soon as we are done cleaning them and filling them up with air, then we have them in our control. We close the bag, and lock them up. Nobody can get to those balls at that time.

“When we come back out before the game, we bring a bag of 12 balls, out to the field we go. Those balls are taken into a designated area. Those are always in the same place. Supposedly, there’s supposed to be security around there. I don’t know how that works, because I was never around there.“Once we get to the field and drop the balls off, it’s out of our control. We’re out refereeing the game. We’re not worried about the balls. There’s no reason for us to get involved in it unless someone says, ‘There’s something wrong with the balls.’ Then we would check into it.”

Not once, Rose said, did that happen to him in 17 years. Balls are switched 50 to 80 times a ballgame. “We change balls almost every play, especially when it’s wet,” Rose said. “If there’s a big, noticeable difference, we’re probably going to notice.” Safety Corey Lynch, a Cape Coral native who played for the Colts last season, said his former team would have been at an extreme competitive disadvantage against the Patriots if indeed New England’s footballs while on offense were underinflated.“It would be drastically easier to catch,” Lynch said. “You can catch the ball 10 times better when the ball is deflated, especially in a cold-weather game.

“An inflated ball is like a rock. It just bounces off your hands. If it’s true, that they were under-inflated, that’s an easy way to cheat. As long as the ball goes to your fingers, you’re going to catch it. It’s all absorption. There’s no bounce.” Lynch, who is hoping to sign with an NFL team in time for the 2015 season, recalled working out with his personal trainer Seth Hayes while using footballs that were underinflated. “I could catch the ball one-handed, no problem,” Lynch said. “He said, ‘Your hands are getting better.’ And I said, ‘No, you need to fill the ball up with air.’”

Lynch, an Evangelical Christian School graduate and retired NFL cornerback Anthony Henry, an Estero High School graduate, said they never encountered deflated footballs in games. “It probably wouldn’t have impacted me as a defensive player,” Henry said. “More so quarterbacks and guys catching the ball, because of players’ muscle memory when catching and throwing the ball consistently.” Although deflated footballs would make for a competitive advantage, Rose said doubted that advantage would result in a 45-7 blowout. “With the score the way that it was, the balls had absolutely zero to do with the outcome,” Rose said. “I just don’t think New England would have had that big of an advantage. And the temperature was 51 degrees.”

Connect with this reporter: David Dorsey (Facebook), @DavidADorsey (Twitter).

Retired QBs are now commenting on it: "I think this has been going on all year with Tom and the equipment guys. It's become unspoken. The equipment guys know that Tom likes a softer ball and so they do this trying to make him happy. The equipment guys secretly take some air out of the balls after the referees have inspected them before the game. It's just this time, they got caught. I'm not sure Belichick even knew."

Come on MON, Bellie knew balls were inflated at bare bones spec! He said so in presser.

No last detail is unknown by Mumbles, He hired Ernie Adams for subterfuge. He already admitted they submit balls at 12.5. Once in ballboys hands voila it goes down to 11 or lower. Ballboy wraps balls in towel so they cannot be seen. So EZ to place a pin in them

With all the taping of games teams do, wouldn't that show up on one of them somewhere? Not to mention all the TV angles.

According to Jerome Bettis and other players under inflated balls are harder to strip and therefore lead to fewer fumbles.

It is impossible that Bill Belichick is not aware of this.

Because the running backs (and therefore the running backs coaches) also have to "know"

There is simply no set of circumstances where this could happen pervasively, probably for many years on a Bill Belichick team and where he did not know.

Therefore he lied multiple times in the press conference today

Tom Brady is not the only player handling these softer balls

Did you post that from the grassy knoll in Dallas?

I think they are shocked by the speed with which this story went nuclear.

So I think the cover story feels less well practiced than the lies we heard during spygate.

There are so many holes in what BB said today that it will continue to unravel even if the current plan is to have Brady go under the bus.

I'm surprised the ballboy's name has been reported in the press yet.

Nice try TX but the fumble data makes it pretty clear how long this have been going and and exactly who must have known about it.  This will get much uglier before it gets better,

LTNS by the way

I think they finally did it right this time.  Belichick has now been tricked into a position in a press conference that is simply not going to pass the laugh test anywhere.

If it was just the QB and his preference then sure it may have worked but now it is years worth of hard data on team fumbles which defies belief until you understand that there is a reason and that the reason makes complete sense.  I think the fact that it helps Tom Brady is almost an unintended side effect here.  This protects the running game and the turnover differential.

Period.

Archived