The 10 Best and Worst Free-Agent Deals (So Far)

Morrissey

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cro signing baffles me even more than the Harris extension which was horrible in itself. There was no need to sign him to a multi year , super overpaid contract which was a lot more than even he was looking for if twitterverse is to be believed.

Do you honestly believe that? The negotiations dragged on for a couple of days. Why would Cro dig his heels in if it was more than he was looking for?

Wow, that was totally the only alternative? Boy am I embarrassed.

I'm not sure what the alternative was to making the CB's a position of strength rather a major liability. They either had to spend or settle for less. I could be wrong, but I like Cro better than Maxwell, who I think is going to get lit up in Philly.

Do you honestly believe that? The negotiations dragged on for a couple of days. Why would Cro dig his heels in if it was more than he was looking for?

Don't even engage this clown... he's been sobbing since his father, John Idzik, was let go... which tells you he's not altogether stable or competent.  Apparently you must believe everything you see on Twitter and accept as fact that all Cro wanted was $6M for 1 year and then we just stepped up and offered 4 years $32M because of course we did.

To be fair, on its face, I don't love the Cro contract but they still have not released the guaranteed money breakdown so it is impossible to really analyze it.

How is that even a fair question ? I am sure agents were involved and every agent would try to maximize the benefit for his client.

No matter how you cut it the contract given to Cro was outrageous by any standards.

Part of evaluating is coming up with a reasonable pay rate. Negotiating is also a major part of the equation and finally cap management. All of those things he has zero expierience with. And you're right, it's 49.999% of the job. Got me with that one. SMH

Just saying that if a player performs even close to as well as you expected/projected, no one is going to be upset with the signing. I can't think of many instances where I've looked back at a free agent signing (for any team) and thought "Yeah, he played well, but he got totally overpaid". It's typically "Wow, they really ****ed up signing this guy and giving him that contract!", because the player fell off a cliff as far as play.

Point being that if Revis, Cromartie, Harris, etc, play at a decent level or better, we probably won't regret the signing(s).

Last, GM's have a whole staff of people that can negotiate contracts and manage the cap. I'm very happy that we have a guy with real scouting experience. You should be too.

You're the greatest.

I really think we got one in him. Live outside DC and watched the kid play. Watched when he got injured. Watched little bit he played for us pre-season. Loved it all. Like bacon covered bacon. Big IF on his health. Only question I see going forward. Dexter is a baller period.

I don't know if he's that much in demand though.  I know Rex loves him, and he's a good run stopper, but he's horrible in coverage, and he's older.  It would've been a downgrade to move on from him since there aren't that many stud ILBs this free agency, but the money would've been served better elsewhere and go cheap at ILB if possible.   Someone like Spikes wouldn't have been that big of a downgrade, and I presume he'll get about half the money Harris got.  

who knows, maybe macc and graves panicked and fell for his agents BS.  The money flying around this year is insane.  Gilchrist got 5.5 million per year coming off of a so so year with SD

I would say the jets probably made this deal more to keep him from rex than to keep him here

Cromartie is not smart. Please.

You are portraying what you want to see onto a largely unknown coach.

NOBODY does it better than Harris? Like you've looked around and evaluated every ILB/MLB in the NFL, watching and following them painstakingly over the years, and lo and behold it's David Harris that is better than anyone in the NFL? I think we all know the basis of this evaluation is borne of a combination of fandom and hope.  Had we not re-signed him and then he went to Buffalo for the same contract, it would have been resoundingly mocked here over the course of hundreds of posts by the same people saying it was smart for the Jets.

I think your taking things a out of context. Cromartie doesn't have to be smart - he is man to man, do your job that's it. You know when I addressed smarts I was referring to Harris. Also I didn't say nobody is better than Harris. Nobody does it better than what Harris is good at which is stopping the run and quarterbacking the defense. He is a vital member of the defense now and in transition. Bowles is not an unknown coach. He has laid down a good reputation as innovative and smart.

I could see if our 2 best returning CBs had shown for a couple of years they were disasters on the field. After being the #9 overall pick, Milliner had a rocky start (nothing uncommon for a rookie) plus an injury. Then he missed (essentially) the whole season in year 2. McDougle missed his one and only season after a promising camp.To firmly entrench both of these two CBs' slots as our #4 and #5 corners was too much for 1 offseason before seeing them live. It's one thing if we were in a do or die season, where it was like our last season with Peyton Manning or Brady (or you get the idea). The 2015 Jets are nothing of the sort. Inexcusible for a new HC and GM to dismiss 2 obviously talented players without giving either one a chance.I'd rather have locked up Wilkerson, Harrison, or both.

This. Not to mention signing Skrine. Wilkerson and snacks should have taken priority over cro and Skrine considering the DBS we already have. Gilchrist was an overpay as well with Pryor and Jarrett waiting in the wings. We threw a ton of cash at guys we probably didn't need.

This. Not to mention signing Skrine. Wilkerson and snacks should have taken priority over cro and Skrine considering the DBS we already have. Gilchrist was an overpay as well with Pryor and Jarrett waiting in the wings. We threw a ton of cash at guys we probably didn't need.

From what I read Bowles will use all these DBs - even all at one time on the field.This the defense that Bowles wants, that is all that matters.

I think the team will actually look good this year. No question. It's the following years I worry about.

I really think Mac dropped the ball with Foles. He was the only legitimate candidate as a potential franchise QB. A guy that big, that arm, that record, and that age will never be on the market again. Mac was given a team with 50 million in cap room, a top 6 pick in every round and a franchise QB on the trading block in Philly.

They made Revis their top priority, and it was a mistake.

Not sure if Foles is a franchise QB. He's made of glass and has an attitude problem. Do you think the Eagles got rid of Foles because they are counting on a trade with the Jets for Mariota?

All of is works out good for us IMHO. If Mariota goes in the top 5 then it's hard to see how either Shane Ray or Fower Jr. don't fall to us. That's perfect.

If we ended up with Shane Ray, Philip Dorsett and Philip Rivers (by packaging a few picks, maybe this years 3rd and next years second... Conditionally) we have a pretty damn stacked team. And everyone running their mouths about us being a playoff team could actually be right.

Dude, you came out of left field a little bid with your reply. With respect, I don't see the Jets selecting a defensive end, as that's the one and only position that they were good at last year. Getting Philip Rivers is a dream that's not becoming reality anytime soon, IMHO

The Harris deal was a disaster. It makes absolutely no sense.

Although we may have 'overpaid'. Harris is an extremely underrated LB. Nobody here understands how much he helps in the run stopping and pass rush. also his 140+ tackles a year shows that he doesn't miss many tackles.

Although we may have 'overpaid'. Harris is an extremely underrated LB. Nobody here understands how much he helps in the run stopping and pass rush. also his 140+ tackles a year shows that he doesn't miss many tackles.

He is not extremely underrated at all. 

We don't need run stuffing LB'ers. Our line is good enough that you could probably get away with playing jumped up DB's in that position. We need speed and competence against the pass and Harris not only gives you neither, but is likely to give even less throughout this contract.

It's just a stupid deal and I don't know if it was done out of appreciation or what but it's something that I absolutely guarantee you'll see slated time and again during the next season or two. It's not quite the crippling contract Sanchez received but it's just so obvious to see where it's going to go wrong. 

I like Harris, he seems a great guy and a good leader. But this was the time to say thanks and see him on his way. 

Didn't read through the whole thread so not sure if this has been discused already. What happens if someone makes an offer to Snacks, doesn't that mean we'd need to match or better that offer if we wanted to keep him. That fact handcuffs our cap limit even more.

Didn't read through the whole thread so not sure if this has been discused already. What happens if someone makes an offer to Snacks, doesn't that mean we'd need to match or better that offer if we wanted to keep him. That fact handcuffs our cap limit even more.

Yep

If that were to happen, the Jets would either have to let Snacks go, or restructure some contracts, and push some money down the road, which is a place I really don't want to go

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $10,959,638

Looks 10M, less Cro, after all is said and done to me. That, without cutting any of the dead wood.

All I can say, according to Jason's site  who I've never had a reason not to trust.

Total Cap Number: $143,476,320 (Top 51: $138,541,320)

Offense: $69,627,586 Defense: $64,315,203 Special: $4,105,000

Or cut Cumberland or Pace or Babin and Walls. 

Yeah, that would save a few million, but it would also weaken the team.  None of those guys have cap busting contracts.   Cumberland is certainly off a down season, but has been productive in the past.

One of the still flaws on defense has been pass rushers off the edge.  Whereas neither Pace or Babin are game changers, they do bring some heat on passing downs.  Pace has been a solid all around player for the Jets

Yeah, that would save a few million, but it would also weaken the team.  None of those guys have cap busting contracts.   Cumberland is certainly off a down season, but has been productive in the past.

One of the still flaws on defense has been pass rushers off the edge.  Whereas neither Pace or Babin are game changers, they do bring some heat on passing downs.  Pace has been a solid all around player for the Jets

I actually don't mind any of the above players, but they can all be upgraded at this stage of their careers. Between the remaining cap space, the players mentioned and the bottom of the roster, enough money can be freed up for an important signing without mortgaging the future. Anyway, while it would not make me happy to see it, I'm guessing that by tendering Snacks with a second, they might be more than willing to move past him for the pick. THAT would be the first big blunder of the new regime if it were to be a low second round pick.

We overpaid for Harris, cromartie and Gilchrist. We're actually in pretty bad cap space now. One extreme to the other! WOOOOOOO!!

GIlchrist deal is really only 1 year 3.5m he can earn another 1.5 this year and if we like him then his year 2 can become guaranteed. The 10mguarantee is not entirely true

Archived