Mariota is a bust

Jetsmanjb

Smash was pounding the table for Manziel last year.  Loves Sanchez.  Thinks Chad Pennington's the greatest QB of our generation.  He also thinks the league is all about the run game and that the Patriots and their 4 Super Bowls have been going about it all wrong.

So, yeah, Mariota and stuff. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Experience (successful experience) playing in a pro style offense is not synonymous with experience playing against a pro defense.

There are a LOT of QBs with great college passing stats who were garbage. So many TDs and so few INTs would also be an accurate way of describing Tim Tebow, which doesn't even take into account his 57 rushing TDs. And this is someone who throws like a freaking girl.  Tajh Boyd's stats were pretty impressive also and he was even more useless than Tebow. And then there's Geno Smith who posted a 42:6 ratio his senior year. The last Duck QB we drafted not as gaudy, but still a very efficient 19:4 ratio in 7.5 games as a senior.

I know it sounds like I'm knocking him but as I've said I don't know enough first-hand to knock him. I know we don't exactly have a history of seeing eye to eye on young QBs (one Jets bust in particular).  Some 11 months ago I think you said you were done with the Jets for good because we didn't draft Manziel, who couldn't handle the rowdiness of the nightlife in Cleveland

It's not a knock on Mariota. It's more that he seems to have a lot of question marks for a guy getting taken as high as #2, to the point where the general consensus is he should be on the bench for a year or more. Next year (2016) would be the first serious look at him on the field, and even if he's someone we decide to move on from he'll still get a 2nd year starting - or at least an edge and the benefit of the doubt - unless he's a total EJ Manuel. Over that span we'll have passed up on QBs in 3 drafts plus the other players we'd have drafted in his place, and our current excellent veteran roster is no more.

I don't think he'll necessarily be a bad QB. I do think it's a lot for an otherwise win-now team to bet on.

yeah I was wrong about Manziel more of where his head was at rather than his talent. I figured he would grow up and play the pro game like it should be played and that's putting in the work off the field. He didn't do it / And your point about TD int ratio is a valid point as well I was not trying to push that agenda as I do know other QB's have posted great TD int ratio numbers but its still something you have to look at. I mean if a college QB has bad TD to Int numbers he probably wont even be looked at. 

Keep in mind Gailey can run that style of offense, which Mariota obviously excelled in and at that point if its not the direction the HC wants to go in they can ease him into the style they want without having to force feed it too him.

Smash was pounding the table for Manziel last year.  Loves Sanchez.  Thinks Chad Pennington's the greatest QB of our generation.  He also thinks the league is all about the run game and that the Patriots and their 4 Super Bowls have been going about it all wrong.

stop making sh*t up JIF and go troll somewhere else

Yeah he is a system qb and most qb's who win the heisman are system. For some reason people just assume he's a pro quarterback because of his combine numbers and the media makes a big fuss about him.

No one was looking at Mariota for his combine numbers ...hes the same guy he was before the combine and I guarantee no one is using the combine or even his pro day as much of an evaluating factor. The biggest factor in evaluating a QB is his play on the field and his smarts in the interview room. That's pretty much it. LB's and WR's move up in the draft due to the combine nonsense QB's never do

stop making sh*t up JIF and go troll somewhere else

What I said was 100% factual information based off a decade of posting about Football with you.

He can't...he has no where else to go.

This is true.  Plus, I fit in really well here. I'm respected.

Im pretty sure he is now a regular on the Bills forums, he goes by BIF

BiF is a not-so-active member of our esteemed community.

Smash was pounding the table for Manziel last year. Loves Sanchez. Thinks Chad Pennington's the greatest QB of our generation. He also thinks the league is all about the run game and that the Patriots and their 4 Super Bowls have been going about it all wrong.

you have to scout with your heart not your head

What I said was 100% factual information based off a decade of posting about Football with you.

No JIF 100 % of it was over exaggerated crap.

Thinking Sanchez could Improve with better receivers was and is an accurate statement it does not equate to "loving Him" his biggest Issue was turnovers but he played well and moved the team in Philly

I also felt the same way about Pennington who was grossly misused and never had the talent around him at the skill positions especially WR

Manziel I did push for but it was simply because we didn't have a QB worth a sh*t and the actual pick we made didn't fair much better at his position. I figured Manziel would grow up, he didn't, but I still think the talent is there if he ever gets his head out of his ass which he may never do.

No JIF 100 % of it was over exaggerated crap.

Thinking Sanchez could Improve with better receivers was and is an accurate statement it does not equate to "loving Him" his biggest Issue was turnovers but he played well and moved the team in Philly

I also felt the same way about Pennington who was grossly misused and never had the talent around him at the skill positions especially WR

Manziel I did push for but it was simply because we didn't have a QB worth a sh*t and the actual pick we made didn't fair much better at his position. I figured Manziel would grow up, he didn't, but I still think the talent is there if he ever gets his head out of his ass which he may never do.

You just confirmed my entire post.  lmfao

FWIW - I'd fine with Mariota if they took him at 6.  

I'm sure every Heisman QB has a story that explains why none of them has won a SB in 31 years. In the end though, the trend is clear. It's hard to even think of any of them that was a true franchise QB, with the exception of Staubach. Even in today's game, all the franchise QB's did not win a Heisman. One possible exception may be Cam Newton, but his playoff record so far is 1-2. Moral of the story: Never waste a top 10 pick on a Heisman QB. Everyone thinks the Bucs will use their #1 pick on Winston. I wonder how many Bucs fans remember the last time they spent their #1 pick on a Heisman QB: Vinny Testaverde. He did nothing with the Bucs, was eventually traded away, then late in his career he brought the Jets to 2 AFC champ games. Unquestionably a bust for the Bucs though.

I think you're misunderstanding my post. I'm saying Carson Palmer was a 100% complete QB and was playing well before his injury. He was 100 times the prospect Mariota is. To even expect Mariota to have the level of success Palmer had is asking a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're misunderstanding my post. I'm saying Carson Palmer was a 100% complete QB and was playing well before his injury. He was 100 times the prospect Mariota is. To even expect Mariota to have the level of success Palmer had is asking a lot.

Actually, I don't see where I misunderstood your post. You seemed to say Palmer was well on his way to greatness, and may have very well won a SB, if only he hadn't been injured. And I'm saying I'm sure there are reasons every one of the Heisman QB's since Plunkett have failed to win a SB, for 31 years in a row now. The main point is that Heisman QB's as a group are pretty much a failure in the NFL.  And Mariota ought to be expected to fail, just like all the other Heisman QB's have failed. And yes, Winston ought to be expected to fail as well, for the same reason.

Actually, I don't see where I misunderstood your post. You seemed to say Palmer was well on his way to greatness, and may have very well won a SB, if only he hadn't been injured. And I'm saying I'm sure there are reasons every one of the Heisman QB's since Plunkett have failed to win a SB, for 31 years in a row now. The main point is that Heisman QB's as a group are pretty much a failure in the NFL.  And Mariota ought to be expected to fail, just like all the other Heisman QB's have failed. And yes, Winston ought to be expected to fail as well, for the same reason.

I'm not sure I'm following this logic.  Is it the award itself that makes QB's bad?  Or the type of QB winning the award?  Or is it a hex or a jinx?  

If Heisman + QB = bust, what is the underlying reason?  Or isn't there one?

Going to be awesome to see the meltdown that happens here when the Jets draft Mariota.

Well personally, I don;t think I will melt down. Simply a rolling of the eyes if the current management selects Mariota with the #6 pick. Of course, there is also the "clown test." If the current management trades up to get him, I will know we have another group of clowns in charge.  And then there will be the wait for that group of guys to melt down, when their draft failure bites them in the ass.

I'm not sure I'm following this logic.  Is it the award itself that makes QB's bad?  Or the type of QB winning the award?  Or is it a hex or a jinx?  

If Heisman + QB = bust, what is the underlying reason?  Or isn't there one?

History is the reason. Heisman QB's have failed time and again in the NFL. Not saying I have a theoretical explanation for it, but when the same outcome occurs over, and over, and over, it is only reasonable to expect it to keep happening. And ask yourself this: In your experience in watching NFL  football, of all the QB's you would consider very good to great, how many of them were Heisman winners? For me personally, I have been watching NFL football since the early 70's. The only QB I have seen who was good to great who was a Heisman winner was Staubach. How about you?

Actually, I don't see where I misunderstood your post. You seemed to say Palmer was well on his way to greatness, and may have very well won a SB, if only he hadn't been injured. And I'm saying I'm sure there are reasons every one of the Heisman QB's since Plunkett have failed to win a SB, for 31 years in a row now. The main point is that Heisman QB's as a group are pretty much a failure in the NFL. And Mariota ought to be expected to fail, just like all the other Heisman QB's have failed. And yes, Winston ought to be expected to fail as well, for the same reason.

No, I'm saying that Palmers career would be a pipe dream for Mariota, and that Palmer had a sh*t ton more talent than Mariota. Not arguing your Heisman theory at all, just that saying Mariota will follow Palmers. Mariota will be a career backup at best.

Archived