Mariota is a bust

Jetsmanjb

Ohio state ate his lunch and puked it back all over him...im not sure that the kid can handle a professional level at least not for a long time

24/38 333 yards 2 TD's

when is the last time a jets QB got destroyed like that ?

lol

does this mean winston losing to oregon makes him a crappy prospect ?

so then no player is actually draftable

dang

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so touchy....didn't mean it offensively...

I know what you meant, what I was trying to say is as a new GM we really have little insight into the way he thinks.  You could look at what he's saying and see your thoughts or actually take them at face value - 

Likely by next years draft we'll have a better feel..

Actually, I'm not touchy. When I reread it, I realized it did sound that way. Anyway, I think there are clues that support what I said. For example, Most GM's will not state their intention to draft someone or move up unless they have an ulterior motive. That is one of the reasons that gives me cause to believe Maccagnan is not going to move up.

Actually, I'm not touchy. When I reread it, I realized it did sound that way. Anyway, I think there are clues that support what I said. For example, Most GM's will not state their intention to draft someone or move up unless they have an ulterior motive. That is one of the reasons that gives me cause to believe Maccagnan is not going to move up.

I doubt they'll move up too - but I think it's mostly because Tenn is going to take him.  When you need a franchise QB and there's a potential one there to take - you take him.  There is no trading down...It's also why if Mariotta is there at 6 the Jets will take him.  (he won't be)

I think people look way too much into this ulterior motive thing.  Nobody believes what anyone says anyway - A good GM will look at other people's needs and make assessments based up what they need not what they say....

What happened anytime mariota made more than one progression in the playoffs? Oh he sucked. Again, unless he ends up playing for Chip Kelly he will not be good in the nfl.

You rip Mariota for a bad bowl game but you defend Geno Smith who had one of the worst bowl games in the history of the sport?   yea, we should listen to your opinion.

Gross. Hundley blows.

NFLN had some show with Brian Baldinger also saying they will go with Hundley in the 2nd.There was NOTHING ON TV.   With all the roids and blows to the head not sure Baldinger can get past G in the alphabet, so consider that. He probably heard the ESPN thing and spit it right up. 

What happened anytime mariota made more than one progression in the playoffs? Oh he sucked. Again, unless he ends up playing for Chip Kelly he will not be good in the nfl.

They said on NFLN last week that 83% of Mariota's completions last year were to his #1 primary receiver.

That will just not happen in the NFL.

Ummmm he barely makes ANY reads. He literally just throws the ball to the guy the coaches want every play. I've watched every single game I could on him and RARELY does he every have even 2 progression reads. He doesn't even huddle. Am I saying that he will never be good? Absolutely not. What I am saying is that he has MAJOR unknowns accross the board because the Oregon coaching staff did not ask him to do much. Watch the tape and look how fast the ball is out, he isn't making decisions, he's just throwing it immediately. Saying that there is no doubt to him being able to understand the defense he is seeing and dissect plays as they are happening is just straight up false. Watch the tape.

I get it; he does get rid of the ball quickly. It makes you think that he throws without thinking. However, a lot of the times there are more than one option on a play and he makes that determination after a pre-snap read and snapping the ball. He does it quickly, and i see that as a positive. If he threw it to his primary as often as people say, then he would be throwing a bunch of picks. He doesn't throw into traffic, well hardly ever. I know I'm not going to convince you, but what I'm saying is that i have seen in games and others have said it too.

This is McShay on Jan 6:

"Obviously, he's a phenomenal athlete. He can extend plays. One thing I love about him is how quick he goes through reads and how quick he operates. In that offense, there's no time to think and there's no time to process. You just have to react and he understands that offense so well that he's able to make one read off the run, one read to the bubble screen. One read to the receiver going down the seam. He does all that in less than two seconds. He really is quick with his thought process, with his instincts and with his recognition skills, which are very important."

Taking Mariota would be a total shot at all the vets we have on the roster and worked so hard to get in free agency. You think Marshall revis mangold Brick Cro harris colon are all gonna be supportive of picking a guy who won't be given a chance to play until they're all out of the league? Yeah ok sure.

You think those guys are excited to play with Geno as the QB?  They play first for the $.

I think he sits the entire year if they take him.  This is a team that can be competitive now with Fitzpatrick level QB play (not winning anything but can be a wildcard hunt)

I would go as far as saying he should be the #3 - so even with an injury he shouldn't be playing..

You need to read your own post a couple of times and let this line sink in....Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a good qb and will never be one.

You rip Mariota for a bad bowl game but you defend Geno Smith who had one of the worst bowl games in the history of the sport? yea, we should listen to your opinion.

You guys overrate Mariota. Him and Geno are actually pretty similar.

They said on NFLN last week that 83% of Mariota's completions last year were to his #1 primary receiver.

That will just not happen in the NFL.

Anyone who actually watched him in college all he did was screen and tag passes or designed plays to the first progression. If we pass on white or Cooper for this guy this franchise really is cursed

You need to read your own post a couple of times and let this line sink in....Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a good qb and will never be one.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. All I said was the Jets defense will be good enough to keep this team in a wildcard hunt with Fitzpatrick.

You're not winning anything with him (which was in my post) but the point was you can afford to keep Mariotta in the bench for a year - as the team won't self destruct this year.

I get it; he does get rid of the ball quickly. It makes you think that he throws without thinking. However, a lot of the times there are more than one option on a play and he makes that determination after a pre-snap read and snapping the ball. He does it quickly, and i see that as a positive. If he threw it to his primary as often as people say, then he would be throwing a bunch of picks. He doesn't throw into traffic, well hardly ever. I know I'm not going to convince you, but what I'm saying is that i have seen in games and others have said it too.

This is McShay on Jan 6:

"Obviously, he's a phenomenal athlete. He can extend plays. One thing I love about him is how quick he goes through reads and how quick he operates. In that offense, there's no time to think and there's no time to process. You just have to react and he understands that offense so well that he's able to make one read off the run, one read to the bubble screen. One read to the receiver going down the seam. He does all that in less than two seconds. He really is quick with his thought process, with his instincts and with his recognition skills, which are very important."

Stop watching/listening to ESPN.

There is so much nonsense in what McShay said it's not even funny.

Taking Mariota would be a total shot at all the vets we have on the roster and worked so hard to get in free agency. You think Marshall revis mangold Brick Cro harris colon are all gonna be supportive of picking a guy who won't be given a chance to play until they're all out of the league? Yeah ok sure.

Are they going to be supportive of a sub par turnover machine like Geno Smith?

24/38 333 yards 2 TD's

when is the last time a jets QB got destroyed like that ?

lol

does this mean winston losing to oregon makes him a crappy prospect ?

so then no player is actually draftable

dang

Not to mention all the drops his receivers had...He may have thrown for 400 without the drops

Not to mention all the drops his receivers had...He may have thrown for 400 without the drops

Great comment. Also something which is never talked about is how 3 of his top receivers were injured or busted for pot in the final. Those facts, and the fact that he did, in reality, play well, make me roll my eyes when someone tells me that Mariota sucked in the playoffs. Give me a break.

I think Gailey can design an offense to fit Mariota's strengths, he had Kordell Stewart playing at a high level years ago...Mariota is a much better QB prospect than Kordell ever was, If Macc, Bowles and Gailey want to trade up for him then I'm with them, if they don't then I'm with them also...Their opinions are all that matters.

Great comment. Also something which is never talked about is how 3 of his top receivers were injured or busted for pot in the final. Those facts, and the fact that he did, in reality, play well, make me roll my eyes when someone tells me that Mariota sucked in the playoffs. Give me a break.

Agreed.

He played really well all season including the playoffs.

Its hard to not slip up when everyone is gunning for you and he never did.

Why are we even discussing Bust-us Mariota?  

Devin Gardner is the next Tom Brady!

Edit: btw I called him Bust-us Mariota because his first name is actually Marcus, but his parents would have been more apt had they name him Bust-us amirite?

Devin-Gardner-Tom-Brady.jpg

As a Heisman winning QB, Mariota is almost a guarantee as an NFL bust. Only 2 Heisman QB's all-time have won a SB, Staubach and Plunkett. And the last SB won by a Heisman QB  winner was done in the 80's. No question the Jets should not waste the #6 pick on Mariota, And if they trade up for him, I'll know we have another bunch of clowns in charge. 

Winston won the Heisman too.

I think Gailey can design an offense to fit Mariota's strengths, he had Kordell Stewart playing at a high level years ago...Mariota is a much better QB prospect than Kordell ever was, If Macc, Bowles and Gailey want to trade up for him then I'm with them, if they don't then I'm with them also...Their opinions are all that matters.

Check out this scout vs scout video of Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks debating whether or not Mariota is worth a top 10 pick.  Jeremiah is for while Brooks is against.  There is a very interesting exchange around to 2:30 mark.

DJ argues that Mariota can make plays with his legs early on as he learns and adjusts to the pro game.  He further argues that if you are in the top 10, you stink and you probably don't have anybody better.

Bucky counters by saying that the only way that would work is if you have a creative OC that incorporate what he does well in the offense.  Then he says "…the ONLY guy that can take him and really do it...is Chan Gailey of the NY Jets.  If he doesn't go to the NY Jets I don't think it's going to work out for Mariota."

Brooks is against taking Mariota in the top 10 because he will need time but thinks he can play sooner under Chan Gailey…hmmm.

Check out this scout vs scout video of Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks debating whether or not Mariota is worth a top 10 pick.  Jeremiah is for while Brooks is against.  There is a very interesting exchange around to 2:30 mark.

DJ argues that Mariota can make plays with his legs early on as he learns and adjusts to the pro game.  He further argues that if you are in the top 10, you stink and you probably don't have anybody better.

Bucky counters by saying that the only way that would work is if you have a creative OC that incorporate what he does well in the offense.  Then he says "…the ONLY guy that can take him and really do it...is Chan Gailey of the NY Jets.  If he doesn't go to the NY Jets I don't think it's going to work out for Mariota."

Brooks is against taking Mariota in the top 10 because he will need time but thinks he can play sooner under Chan Gailey…hmmm.

Nice find...I hope Brooks is right about that...With our luck Tennessee will take him at 2 anyway.

Mariota is the antithesis of Jay Cutler, with whom I was enamored when he came out of Vandy. At that point in time, I was impressed with his cannon, and his guts, and the fact that he had the balls to try and make any play despite the defense. I dont think that anyone ever doubted his physical ability. At that point in time, I also talked about how Brady, despite his success, was far inferior to Manning and even Favre, who could literally make something out of nothing. To me, Brady was the system guy, a check down type. He relied on the easiest, open opportunity, rather than be able to make the game on his own. Had a good defense and a clutch kicker and a smart (cheating?) head coach.

I think that i had most of it backwards at that time. The preferential trait in a winning QB is not the do-it-all, because I physically can make any throw type attitude. Instead its the "in this play i can take this decent opportunity which will get us some yards and advance us down the field for another opportunity."

My thoughts regarding Mariota is that, yeah he does take some easy, open plays, but thats a good thing. He doesn't force it. You get an nfl qb some good wideouts and a RB who can catch, and guess what--you get those easy throws, even in the nfl. Moreover, his ability to understand the defense and to dissect plays quickly has never been doubted. Not has his will to learn.

I dont advocate for trading up, i never really do. But i hope we take him at 6 if we get the chance.

Well put.  Mariota's athleticism adds an entirely different facet to his game as well.  It has to be game-planned for.  Any DC facing Mariota will be faced with containing him.  This is an advantage even the QB's listed don't have.  Of course comparing him to the pocket passers at this point is foolish. 

Well put. Mariota's athleticism adds an entirely different facet to his game as well. It has to be game-planned for. Any DC facing Mariota will be faced with containing him. This is an advantage even the QB's listed don't have. Of course comparing him to the pocket passers at this point is foolish.

The way RGIII and Vick turned the league on its ear.

Archived