Report: Injury will sideline Gilchrist until training camp

Jetfan13

6_3540916.jpg

It may be a few more months before new Jets safety Marcus Gilchrist has the opportunity to get acquainted with his new teammates on the field.

Dom Cosentino of NJ.com reports Gilchrist is recovering from a shoulder injury that will sideline him during OTAs and mini-camp. He is expected to be ready by the time training camp starts in July. Cosentino does not have any details on the nature of the injury or how it occurred.

Gilchrist inked a four-year, $22 million contract with the Jets last month. He is expected to start at free safety, which will push second-year pro Calvin Pryor to his natural spot at strong safety.

In his final year with the Chargers, Gilchrist had 76 tackles, an interception, five passes defended, two forced fumbles and a sack. The Clemson product is part of a secondary loaded with talent that also includes cornerbacks Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine, all of whom were acquired in free agency

Reminds me of the Ed Reed / Jairus Byrd situation. Hope our coaches checked him out and it's no big deal.

Yup.  Now we can add Gilchrist to the list of OTA/mini-camp no-shows with Fitzie.  Especially with McDougle and Miliner's injury history, this season could get scary in a hurry.  Again.

Interesting that they won't mention what the injury is... Especially if it didn't just happen. Hmmm.

No way he was at 1 Oak last night with Copeland, right?

Might as well forfeit the season.

Finally, someone making some sense around here. 

:Banane43:

Not concerned about a shoulder injury other than, why can't he participate if it's just a shoulder injury? 

The only thing that is concerning about this is that last year, even though he didn't miss any games with it, he was on the injury report several weeks with a shoulder.

If it's just coincidence, no problem.  If it it something chronic, grrrrrrrrrrrrr

The only thing that is concerning about this is that last year, even though he didn't miss any games with it, he was on the injury report several weeks with a shoulder.

If it's just coincidence, no problem.  If it it something chronic, grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am not sure about the timing of this injury. If its a brand new injury that happened after signing the contract you can chalk  it to bad luck.

But If it was something pre-existing than the FO will have to answer some questions. How do you give a 22 mill contract to guy with chronic issues that keep him off the field. So what we have is the a bunch of free agents who are old or have chronic injury issues or both. At this point in time not too comforting by any standards.

I am not sure about the timing of this injury. If its a brand new injury that happened after signing the contract you can chalk  it to bad luck.

But If it was something pre-existing than the FO will have to answer some questions. How do you give a 22 mill contract to guy with chronic issues that keep him off the field. So what we have is the a bunch of free agents who are old or have chronic injury issues or both. At this point in time not too comforting by any standards.

They did not give him 22 mil anything.

Why don't you stop being a neg. a hole about everything this admin does or just go follow another team.

They gave him 3.5 mil if he is hurt and can't play.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/marcus_gilchrists_jets_contract_not_at_all_what_it.html

When former Chargers safety Marcus Gilbert agreed to terms with the Jets on a free agent contract last week, the deal was widely reported to be for four years and $22 million, with $10 million guaranteed. But, as with pretty much every NFL contract, a closer inspection reveals something quite different: Gilchrist's deal has nothing fully guaranteed except for one year and $3.5 million.

To be sure: If Gilchrist were to remain with the Jets for the four-year life of the contract, he would indeed earn $22 million. But the way the deal is structured, the Jets can opt out after the 2015 season while doling out nothing more than $3.5 to $5 million.

Gilchrist is due to earn $1 million this season in fully guaranteed base pay, plus a signing bonus of $2.5 million that gets pro-rated over the next four years in terms of how it counts against the cap. He also stands to earn up to $1.5 million in per-game roster bonuses. Next year, Gilchrist's base pay jumps to $5 million, but it is guaranteed for injury only and doesn't become fully guaranteed until the third day of the 2016 league year. Gilchrist is then scheduled to make $6 million in base pay in both 2017 and '18, though neither of those figures is guaranteed.

Which means that on the off-chance Gilchrist stinks out the joint this season, the Jets can walk away after this year and owe him nothing beyond the maximum of $5 million they will have given him. They can similarly get out of the deal after 2016 (after having paid him no more than $10 million) or 2017 ($16 million) with no additional costs, should they choose to do so.

Most NFL players sign deals like Gilchrist's that have little security beyond the first or second year. People want to tsk-tsk a player like Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis for chasing money? This is why he does it.

Gilchrist's cap charges each year break down as follows: $3.125 million for 2015, $5.625 million for 2016, $6.625 million for 2017, and $6.625 million for 2018.

If the Jets decide to get rid of Gilchrist after this season, his dead money charge would be $1.875 million. After 2016, that dead money hit would be $1.25 million. And after 2017, it would be $625,000.

I would think this is an injury from last season the jets knew about when he did his obligatory pre-contract signing physical

if he got it hang gliding in cosat rica last weekend, then we can be pissed, until then it's no biggie.  

the new CBA makes everything that happens over the summer glorified walk throughs it's not like he is missing anything

I would think this is an injury from last season the jets knew about when he did his obligatory pre-contract signing physical

if he got it hang gliding in cosat rica last weekend, then we can be pissed, until then it's no biggie.

the new CBA makes everything that happens over the summer glorified walk throughs it's not like he is missing anything

Nonsense. The Jets can only play 10 guys on defense this season now. Thanks a lot Marcus 'Aaron Boone' Gilchrist.

I think I also showed how you were completely wrong along with the personal attack.

I really do not know why people get off on personal attacks. What's so lacking in your life. Frankly i thought they were frowned upon in this establishment. But when it comes to me they seemed to be allowed at will.

As far as your point, let me know which competent NFL organization would give 3.5 mill to a free agent with chronic shoulder issues that may prevent him from contributing fully. That too to a non-Pro Bowl player who has not established any level of super eliteness on the field.  Sure, teams take a chance on a Pro Bowl caliber player's once in a while who's recent performances may have stagnated in the hope they turn around BUT that's not the case in this situation.

So what we have here is a brand new player on the team where the GM handed out money and fans are still left crossing their fingers after a few days hoping this new acquisition  can have a complete, productive football season for them. This does not happen on a competently managed team. Period.

So what we have here is a brand new player on the team where the GM handed out money and fans are still left crossing their fingers after a few days hoping this new acquisition  can have a complete, productive football season for them. This does not happen on a competently managed team. Period.

Of course it does, the Pats 1st draft pick last year was a guy coming off a wrecked knee with big injury histories.

Drew Brees was signed by NO coming off a terrible back problem.

There are a couple of things I see in your post that are the basis for continual conflict.

1) The Jets are a bad team with no depth coming off a regime change.

2) The Jets had a huge amount of cap dollars and league mandates that they had to spend a good deal of it.

3) The GM like most prudent football people appears to be of the thought that you try and plug holes in FA so you can make any choice you want in the draft.

Players that are good, young, cheap and injury free are NOT AVAILABLE.

Also being a bad team we have to out bid teams who are closer to the prize.

I would view your comments as being more valid if you provided at least decent alternatives to some of these signings and I certainly don't think they are all great.  I think Buster Skrine will be a huge whipping boy and see the bench sooner than later.

far as your point, let me know which competent NFL organization would give 3.5 mill to a free agent with chronic shoulder issues that may prevent him from contributing fully. 

where in the article does it say any of that ?

Really ? It's a valid question. Because it might very well be the case here. Atleast people are defending it as hey it's not more than a 1 year 3.5 million risk ?

where did you get the idea he wasn't going to be able to contribute fully ?

where did you get the idea he wasn't going to be able to contribute fully ?

Nah..there's not much of a concern. It's like you walk out of the car showroom after paying for a brand new car and you are told the car won't start before next month. You can go to sleep all warm and fuzzy. Why should it make a difference.

Nah..there's not much of a concern. It's like you walk out of the car showroom after paying for a brand new car and you are told the car won't start before next month. You can go to sleep all warm and fuzzy. Why should it make a difference.

you are just getting way to ahead of yourself here.  the article doesn't say what the injury is, where he got it, or if it even required surgery, yet you already have him as not being able to contribute.  

if it turns out he needs major surgery and hid it from the jets and the jets didn't discover it until after signing him, then we get the pitchforks

you are just getting way to ahead of yourself here. the article doesn't say what the injury is, where he got it, or if it even required surgery, yet you already have him as not being able to contribute.

if it turns out he needs major surgery and hid it from the jets and the jets didn't discover it until after signing him, then we get the pitchforks

Ok fair enough. I just dont like shiny new toys developing dents before they r even touched.

Archived