David Garrard On Geno Smith

JetNation

You make an outstanding point. That QBs in the past needed time to develop and the game is far more complicated now. People often counter well guys are learning a "pro" styled offense so that they don't need grooming. I say this is dumber than dumb.

I was a point guard in high school we ran the vaunted triangle offense to perfection. Does this mean I should have been playing in the NBA?

Of course not!!!

Players mature with proper coaching and experience and regress without it.

The main reason was colleges didn't run a Pro style offense now most do..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whe Geno has won games for them late---and he has--not many, but he has------it has been because he used his legs not his brain and arn.  The drive saving plays were legs things,

Which, in his worst games, he somehow forgets to use.

Dude's a mental midget? No sh*t. Wouldn't have guessed that at all by the way he conducted himself last year.

Don't think he is a mental midget. He has a certain intelligence. He is one of those people that has to learn in a very structured manner and if a situation presents itself that is outside these boundaries there is a freeze moment. He has to overprepare in hopes of controlling what he sees on the field. Not unlike a politician who does well on prepared speeches or questions but ask questions outside their preparedness they are poor on their feet.

Will you then explain the last month of the 2013 and 2014 NFL seasons ?

Inconsistency because what he saw he was comfortable with and thus performed well. He right now is not good when things don't go as planned or how he studied.

Don't think he is a mental midget. He has a certain intelligence. He is one of those people that has to learn in a very structured manner and if a situation presents itself that is outside these boundaries there is a freeze moment. He has to overprepare in hopes of controlling what he sees on the field. Not unlike a politician who does well on prepared speeches or questions but ask questions outside their preparedness they are poor on their feet.

Cool.  Just like that politician will never be a President or Senator, this simply means Geno shouldn't be a professional quarterback.  It's a requirement that QB's think quickly on their feet, and it's not a skill you can really learn.

Still just 24, not all guys have the mental discipline at a young age, some need to mature a little more than others, the physical ability is always the endorsement, if he can develop mentally this year we could have something!

The other promising part of this article is that Geno does seem to have good practice ability good practice habits despite what the geno haters love to spew on about.

... not all guys have the mental aptitude either ....

“I definitely think Geno has the ability to be a pretty good quarterback.  I just think sometimes he’s worried about the outside noise.  He’s worried about what his teammates think, what his coaches think, what the media thinks, what the fans think and he’s not just concentrating on his game and just making the plays that he should be making.  You see a lot of times in practice and in the meeting room, he’s spot on; he knows exactly what to do.  But he has moments where he’s not doing that.”

There really nothing new here, whether you're holding out hope for Geno or not. He has the physical ability. He flashes at times in games. He also sulks off by himself when he makes a mistake (reminiscent of his sulking in the green room during his draft). His perceived insecurity is a recurring theme whenever we discuss him here. It's not shocking that he's worried about the wrong things.

Hopefully the big issue was coaching. He's still the front-runner to be the opening day starter. Gotta hope for the best.

The man stood on the sidelines of Metlife and yelled **** you at a fan. Then a few weeks later he missed a team meeting because he was too dumb to set his watch back. Being a jackoff is bad. Being stupid is worse. Being a stupid jackoff is as inauspicious as it gets.

There really nothing new here, whether you're holding out hope for Geno or not. He has the physical ability. He flashes at times in games. He also sulks off by himself when he makes a mistake (reminiscent of his sulking in the green room during his draft). His perceived insecurity is a recurring theme whenever we discuss him here. It's not shocking that he's worried about the wrong things.

Hopefully the big issue was coaching. He's still the front-runner to be the opening day starter. Gotta hope for the best.

post-21259-hope-is-a-dangerous-thing-gif

The man stood on the sidelines of Metlife and yelled **** you at a fan. Then a few weeks later he missed a team meeting because he was too dumb to set his watch back. Being a jackoff is bad. Being stupid is worse. Being a stupid jackoff is as inauspicious as it gets.

And his HC gave the bird to fans leaving the field one game. Then that same HC did nothing punishment wise for Geno missing the meeting. When you play for Country Club Rex accountability is a word reserved for accountants. 

Lets see where Geno's head is this year playing for a real coaching staff.  If he still does the same stupid stuff , I'll agree with you, if he doesn't I'll chalk it up to a young kid getting no guidance at a critical time in his career. 

And his HC gave the bird to fans leaving the field one game. Then that same HC did nothing punishment wise for Geno missing the meeting. When you play for Country Club Rex accountability is a word reserved for accountants. 

Lets see where Geno's head is this year playing for a real coaching staff.  If he still does the same stupid stuff , I'll agree with you, if he doesn't I'll chalk it up to a young kid getting no guidance at a critical time in his career. 

The problem is there were a few scouting reports in '13 that hinted at a lot of this stuff before he ever played for Rex. I remember Nawrocki summed up how he was a pretty nonchalant dude about the game and the attitude he had towards coaches who try to come down hard on him. Then a few months later a couple of his old teammates at WVU pretty much confirmed that he was a douchebag.

poor mark sanchez, jalen saunders, chris johnson, mike goodson, santonio holmes, vlad... just guys who need more time under real coaches. all rex's fault that these guys stunk it up on the field. mulligans for everybody!

The problem is there were a few scouting reports in '13 that hinted at a lot of this stuff before he ever played for Rex. I remember Nawrocki summed up how he was a pretty nonchalant dude about the game and the attitude he had towards coaches who try to come down hard on him. Then a few months later a couple of his old teammates at WVU pretty much confirmed that he was a douchebag.

he publicly pouted and said he was leaving NY after not getting drafted round 1. after his agent said "hey idiot, you bail now you will look like a prima donna douche and fall even further" he flipflopped and stuck around. he must've knew he was going to be drafted into club rex when he almost missed the draft and didn't expect reprecussions.

he publicly pouted and said he was leaving NY after not getting drafted round 1. after his agent said "hey idiot, you bail now you will look like a prima donna douche and fall even further" he flipflopped and stuck around. he must've knew he was going to be drafted into club rex when he almost missed the draft and didn't expect reprecussions.

Wow remember that scene from draft day? They crafted that based off of Geno didn't they! sh*t.

Yeah he's the first college QB (big man on campus) who was a douchebag.  Again proper coaching goes a long way in fixing that attitude. 

poor mark sanchez, jalen saunders, chris johnson, mike goodson, santonio holmes, vlad... just guys who need more time under real coaches. all rex's fault that these guys stunk it up on the field. mulligans for everybody!

Whether or not you liked Sanchez the player, his attitude was never an issue here.  Goodson, Holmes were A1 assholes before Rex got his hands on them . The other two are marginal players so I'm not sure  what your point is. 

my 14 year old daughter is a highly rated cadet in our local  NJROTC.  She hasn't been late to a single function or received a score of less than 95 on a single assignment.  The reason is simple, she is mature and cares about her accomplishments

you don't need to be told to be on time when you are in your 20's and making millions of dollars.  that's 100% on geno

my 14 year old daughter is a highly rated cadet in our local  NJROTC.  She hasn't been late to a single function or received a score of less than 95 on a single assignment.  The reason is simple, she is mature and cares about her accomplishments

you don't need to be told to be on time when you are in your 20's and making millions of dollars.  that's 100% on geno

I disagree, these kids have been getting privileges all their young lives because they can play a sport well. We can't expect them to have similar work ethics as kids working hard to better themselves, 

The rumor is that yes, they did.

Looking back he was probably the biggest influence for that character... Represented by Puff Daddy, nobody could pin a finger on what exactly stunk about him but they knew he was inflated, teammates didn't like him. Ouch

Whether or not you liked Sanchez the player, his attitude was never an issue here.  Goodson, Holmes were A1 assholes before Rex got his hands on them . The other two are marginal players so I'm not sure  what your point is. 

geno is also a marginal player and was a dunce before jets drafted him (see: behavior at draft).

Then he fired his agent for giving him bad advice in the first place.  You seem to forget the agent worked for the "idiot" not the other way around. 

You are mistaking should not and do not.

Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Then he fired his agent for giving him bad advice in the first place.  You seem to forget the agent worked for the "idiot" not the other way around. 

He fired his agent for, the story goes, being so wrong about where he would be drafted. But since you bring it up, that shows again Geno not taking accountability for his own actions, blaming his agents because teams saw him for what he was.

He fired his agent for, the story goes, being so wrong about where he would be drafted. But since you bring it up, that shows again Geno not taking accountability for his own actions, blaming his agents because teams saw him for what he was.

Maybe he felt he was given bad advice?  He decided he could get better representation and took action. Why is that a problem?  This a business isn't? 

Archived