David Garrard On Geno Smith

JetNation

Geno Smith, Nick Mangold

David Garrard appeared on the NFL network, and had this to share (via Kimberly Martin) about Geno and his lack of progression:

“I definitely think Geno has the ability to be a pretty good quarterback.  I just think sometimes he’s worried about the outside noise.  He’s worried about what his teammates think, what his coaches think, what the media thinks, what the fans think and he’s not just concentrating on his game and just making the plays that he should be making.  You see a lot of times in practice and in the meeting room, he’s spot on; he knows exactly what to do.  But he has moments where he’s not doing that”

Also on the topic of if Geno was carrying over mistakes from practice to game day:

“No, because you don’t have the stress of everybody looking at you and seeing exactly what you’re doing.  But when he gets out there on game day, he has great plays but then he just has too many bonehead mistakes where we didn’t see those things at practice.  Why are we seeing them now in game time?  He has to fix those before he can be a great quarterback”

David Garrard’s interaction with Geno Smith is on a limited basis, as he spent a few months on the roster during the 2013 season.   Garrard seems to believe that Geno has the ability in him to become a very good QB, alluding to the fact that he seemed to be spot on in the meeting rooms, which shows mental capacity that many Jets fans doubt Smith possesses.   The comments indicate that Geno does know what to do in the situations he’s presented with, but lacks focus during game day to achieve stardom.  The lack of translation from practice to game day can be attributed to various reasons from a lack of ability to focus under pressure (Geno’s last game in college in the Pinstripe Bowl, or his documented trouble with keeping time) all the way to lack of accountability inside the Jets locker room.   Geno Smith does have the physical ability to be a factor in the league, and if he can cross the mental hurdle and block out the “noises”, then the Jets might just have a young QB that can lead the team to the playoffs.

The upcoming season is going to be a big year for Geno Smith, as he faces stiff competition from Ryan Fitzpatrick, and rookie Bryce Petty is going to be the most talented third string QB the team has seen in years.   Coach Todd Bowles ability to have Geno Smith translate his skills on the practice field and in the film room to game day could go a long way in determining the success of his tenure.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
MRuTt1q_1KQ

View the full article

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so therefore it is impossible to evaluate any jets offensive player during rex's tenure. bring back sanchez and santonio!

I didn't say all that. Sanchez got two more years with Rex than Smith has. If Smith sees the field this year, it's hopefully because he's taken a step forward under Bowles and friends.

i blame the shoddy coaching.

I agree with you. Vick, Smith, Tebow, Sanchez, Simms and Brunell were never developed or never ready to play NFL caliber football for the Jets. Hopefully the coaches won't be fapping any longer.

Still just 24, not all guys have the mental discipline at a young age, some need to mature a little more than others, the physical ability is always the endorsement, if he can develop mentally this year we could have something!

The other promising part of this article is that Geno does seem to have good practice ability good practice habits despite what the geno haters love to spew on about.

I want to see Geno not lose games on his way to hopefully actually winning a few. Having no expertise other than my eyes and experience watching the game, it really seems that Geno doesn't read the play well and uses scrambling to buy time he shouldn't have needed. That, combined with his college mentality that he has to make the big play rather than throw the ball away when there's nothing there is a killer. Obviously, I hope the light bulb goes on, but it's very hard not be skeptical. I'm glad we finally have some genuine depth at the position.

It's sort of says immature to me, that's the thing I seem to get from Geno, and very poor or non existent Leadership skills.

It does say Immature but it also says lack of the ability to adjust fast to situations on the field. You can answer all the questions right in the meeting room and do well in practice but when it comes to game speed if you can't think fast enough in pressure situations Im not sure that's something that can be fixed and I think that very well may be the most Important factor in playing the position of QB.

if Geno's progressions don't come to him naturally and he has to think too much in game situations hes going to fail as will just about every QB trying to make it in the NFL. Sure a lot of this may very well come down to study to the point of exhaustion like a Peyton Manning is reported to do but if that's what it takes to make you just that much quicker in the thought process on the field well then that's what you need to do to succeed in the NFL.

You can have a brilliant mind yet still not be quick enough to process information in pressure situations.

I want to see Geno not lose games on his way to hopefully actually winning a few. Having no expertise other than my eyes and experience watching the game, it really seems that Geno doesn't read the play well and uses scrambling to buy time he shouldn't have needed. That, combined with his college mentality that he has to make the big play rather than throw the ball away when there's nothing there is a killer. Obviously, I hope the light bulb goes on, but it's very hard not be skeptical. I'm glad we finally have some genuine depth at the position.

Whe Geno has won games for them late---and he has--not many, but he has------it has been because he used his legs not his brain and arn.  The drive saving plays were legs things,

Whe Geno has won games for them late---and he has--not many, but he has------it has been because he used his legs not his brain and arn. The drive saving plays were legs things,

The longer he was under Rex the less flashes of natural brilliance he had. Just like Sanchez. It's a principal called the dummy curve. First you have good moments because you don't know what to really do and you rely on ability. Then you slow down because you start trying to learn a system so you physically regress as you become more mentally dependent . Then you gradually get better when become instinctive where your physicality compliments your new habits. Problem is that Geno now needs time to learn a completely new system again. Kids ****ed.

It also may just be he knows what to do on paper but after the ball is actually snapped the game is too fast for him.

exactly..  I am sure he knows where his WRs are Progression-wise, he just cant get the ball to them quick enough, so they are covered by time he gets ball to them or looks their way

It's sort of says immature to me, that's the thing I seem to get from Geno, and very poor or non existent Leadership skills.

It also may just be he knows what to do on paper but after the ball is actually snapped the game is too fast for him.

I could actually have been both up to now. But it could be more about the game just being too fast. If it doesn't slow down for him this year, then it never will.

Maybe the Andrew Lucks of the world who are capable starters from day one are once in a decade type players and all the rest of the QB's in the league need some time on the bench to develope.  That is how they did it in decades past and please keep in mind the game was not as fast then as it is now.  What does this mean for Geno going forward?

I've no clue and neither does anyone else posting on this board, so just relax.  It's not like there is any other option out there right now for us (and please stop with the "we should have traded for x,y,or z, QB, or we should just start the guy with the broken leg" BS)  

Maybe the Andrew Lucks of the world who are capable starters from day one are once in a decade type players and all the rest of the QB's in the league need some time on the bench to develope. That is how they did it in decades past and please keep in mind the game was not as fast then as it is now. What does this mean for Geno going forward?

I've no clue and neither does anyone else posting on this board, so just relax. It's not like there is any other option out there right now for us (and please stop with the "we should have traded for x,y,or z, QB, or we should just start the guy with the broken leg" BS)

I agree. The andrew lucks of the world are few and far between. To expect a rookie to play at starting qb level, in the toughest position surrounded by the top .5% athletes in football is illogical.

I didn't say all that. Sanchez got two more years with Rex than Smith has. If Smith sees the field this year, it's hopefully because he's taken a step forward under Bowles and friends.

It is simple as this. Sanchez was worse after his tenure with Rex and that staff than before it and that is saying a heck of a lot when one considers the fact that Sanchez was NOT ready to start in the NFL do to a lack of adequate experience.

Maybe the Andrew Lucks of the world who are capable starters from day one are once in a decade type players and all the rest of the QB's in the league need some time on the bench to develope. That is how they did it in decades past and please keep in mind the game was not as fast then as it is now. What does this mean for Geno going forward?

I've no clue and neither does anyone else posting on this board, so just relax. It's not like there is any other option out there right now for us (and please stop with the "we should have traded for x,y,or z, QB, or we should just start the guy with the broken leg" BS)

You make an outstanding point. That QBs in the past needed time to develop and the game is far more complicated now. People often counter well guys are learning a "pro" styled offense so that they don't need grooming. I say this is dumber than dumb.

I was a point guard in high school we ran the vaunted triangle offense to perfection. Does this mean I should have been playing in the NBA?

Of course not!!!

Players mature with proper coaching and experience and regress without it.

Archived