Fans who switch teams for the worse

AFJF

The thread with Jets fans saying they'll be Patriots fans this weekend got me thinking about how fans are riddiculed (and rightfully so) for leaving their "favorite team" to root for another team that's playing better.

However, what's everyone's take on fans who like a team that doesn't suck and then bails to root for a team that does?  It's rare, but I know one or two people who say "I used to be a ____ fan, but I started rooting for the "worse team that still sucks" a few years ago.

Thoughts?

The Jets will alway be my favorite team but during the years I've watched other teams because I liked players on the team and it was nice to watch a team you were following actually win. 

That's understandable and natural really if you're a fan.  There's a difference between respecting a player/team you've become familiar with for whatever reason, but to change allegiance is a whole different ballgame.

I lived near Tampa back when the Bucs had what I consider to be the second-best defense I've ever seen in my life with Sapp, Lynch, Brooks, Barber, etc.. and I enjoyed watching them but I was never a Bucs "fan".  Also loved Dunn and Alstott in that backfield.

The thread with Jets fans saying they'll be Patriots fans this weekend got me thinking about how fans are riddiculed (and rightfully so) for leaving their "favorite team" to root for another team that's playing better.

However, what's everyone's take on fans who like a team that doesn't suck and then bails to root for a team that does?  It's rare, but I know one or two people who say "I used to be a ____ fan, but I started rooting for the "worse team that still sucks" a few years ago.

Thoughts?

I literally HATE every other NFL team. Who I root for is based on either what can help the Jets or who I hate less. God forbid a team has a player we cut. I can barely contain my ire toward that team while watching the game.

Anyone who does the ol switcheroo is missing the whole point of being a fan IMO and I hate them more than I hate John Abraham.

The Jets will alway be my favorite team but during the years I've watched other teams because I liked players on the team and it was nice to watch a team you were following actually win. 

I think the measuring stick is whether or not you've ever purchased a jersey or hat of said other team. If an individual has then they are a turncoat who is playing both sides and is stamped an untrustworthy toad in all aspects of their life.   :D

I think the measuring stick is whether or not you've ever purchased a jersey or hat of said other team. If an individual has then they are a turncoat who is playing both sides and is stamped an untrustworthy toad in all aspects of their life.   :D

as far as the NFL. I only bought Jets jerseys/shirts. I do have a  authentic Howie Long jersey I won in a fight. (By won I mean he took it off and lost the fight so I took it when I walked away)

as far as the NFL. I only bought Jets jerseys/shirts. I do have a  authentic Howie Long jersey I won in a fight. (By won I mean he took it off and lost the fight so I took it when I walked away)

Sounds like you won it fair and square to me. That'll teach him to take off his important belongings and talking sh*t eh?

I had an old friend who was a Jets fan down in Florida. He jumped ship for Marino around 1985 because he was tired of losing. I told him that the Dolphins would never win another SB as long as he rooted for them. I've been right for 30 years.

hope you've disowned that friend!!

I literally HATE every other NFL team. Who I root for is based on either what can help the Jets or who I hate less. God forbid a team has a player we cut. I can barely contain my ire toward that team while watching the game.

Anyone who does the ol switcheroo is missing the whole point of being a fan IMO and I hate them more than I hate John Abraham.

Do we still hold a grudge against John Abraham not playing hurt in the playoffs years back?

Eh. Some team's fans have every right to bail. I submit the Sacramento Kings, Raiders, Browns, Jags, 76ers, and Florida Panthers. And until very very recently, fans of the Royals, Pirates, Clippers and Islanders would have been totally forgiven (by me anyway) had they bailed. 

Would you keep paying a sh*tty employee? That's essentially what rooting for a no care franchise is. 

Eh. Some team's fans have every right to bail. I submit the Sacramento Kings, Raiders, Browns, Jags, 76ers, and Florida Panthers. And until very very recently, fans of the Royals, Pirates, Clippers and Islanders would have been totally forgiven (by me anyway) had they bailed. 

Would you keep paying a sh*tty employee? That's essentially what rooting for a no care franchise is. 

Not quite the same most people have to work they don't have to be fans of a team..

Not quite the same most people have to work they don't have to be fans of a team..

Youre missing the point.

YOU are the Jets boss. Without fans there are no pro sports teams. By even just paying attention to a team you are putting $ in thier pocket in some way. Now if a team is getting your $ but refuse to improve why are you keeping them around?

Youre missing the point.

YOU are the Jets boss. Without fans there are no pro sports teams. By even just paying attention to a team you are putting $ in thier pocket in some way. Now if a team is getting your $ but refuse to improve why are you keeping them around?

I understand your point but the vast majority of fans don't think like you.. The Mets had great fans even when they were a laughing stock. Look at the Red Sox that went 80+ years without a championship and had great die hard fans.. I've be a Titan Jet fan since 1960 when I was 16 and wouldn't root for any other team.. If In your mind being a fan is looking for whose winning and root for them you are in the minority of what being a fan is all about..

I understand your point but the vast majority of fans don't think like you.. The Mets had great fans even when they were a laughing stock. Look at the Red Sox that went 80+ years without a championship and had great die hard fans.. I've be a Titan Jet fan since 1960 when I was 16 and wouldn't root for any other team.. If In your mind being a fan is looking for whose winning and root for them you are in the minority of what being a fan is all about..

Once again...

Some franchises absolutely don't care about winning. Still rooting for the laundry and putting money into it makes you an idiot. A team tries to win but fails? That's a totally different story. 

Once again...

Some franchises absolutely don't care about winning. Still rooting for the laundry and putting money into it makes you an idiot. A team tries to win but fails? That's a totally different story. 

Once again that's your opinion, are teams in the NFL not required to spend money on players or can they just put it in their pocket?? The difference is some teams have more skill in their FO  and staffs then others. Your opinion is they don't care if they win or not and I don't agree JMO.. 

I've done that.

I liked the Skins in the 80's for the revenge on Miami after the Mud Bowl.  I used to love to watch the Greatest Show on Turf, and to be honest, watching the 85 Bears was just fun. I could never, ever root for a team in the AFC East, and I've never given up on the Jets, but there are other teams I got some fun out of watching.

I never liked any of those teams more than the Jets, but I can appreciate them and root for them when they aren't playing my Team.  Now, I really like watching GB, Rogers is just soooo freaking good. 

It's always great as a fan when your team is competeting for championships(easy part)  , but to be a real fan you root for your team even when your team is struggling mightily  .( says more about the fan than anything else). Tastes so much sweeter when your team turns it around.

I blame fantasy football for ruining fan loyalty,  no  self respecting  fan  is going to be rooting for a divisional rival player to do well against his team.    I can't  understand this concept, as that fan is a sellout.

in a couple years when you're going by handle Raider9, ( because Raiders are dominant team) that doesn't make you a Raider fan .   That makes you a bandwagon Fan- Patriots9.

I had an old friend who was a Jets fan down in Florida. He jumped ship for Marino around 1985 because he was tired of losing. I told him that the Dolphins would never win another SB as long as he rooted for them. I've been right for 30 years.

BergenJets is right it's something that you actually see a lot of, Jets fans who moved south and some were even season ticket holders in NY and they switched over to the hated Marino-led Dolphins. The 'WHY' could make for a pretty cool thread in itself but I won't go into it here. Personally, I could never do that.

This thread was started by a Pats fan-it's understandable because I'd say that half the Pats fans walking around these days were either not even NFL football fans in the 90's or probably Red Sox only fans. What they don't understand about us Jets fans and by 'us' I mean the Jets fans on the boards could NEVER switch teams, while guys like PatsfanTex (one of the most rabid Cheats fan) would readily admit that he was a Cowboys fan in the 90's. I didn't see the words of any Jets fans saying that they were Pats 'fans' today-rooting for a team on a particular day for a particular division game does not warrant calling them Pats FANS.

Youre missing the point.

You can boycott the team, but you cannot be a fan of another team without being a fraud. A team is not something that can be frivolously substituted like changing wives.

I've been a Jet fan since I was a little kid, attending my first game in 1970, a year in which the Jets went 4-10 just two years after winning the Super Bowl. They didn't have another winning season until 1981. Not gonna lie, I took on the Cowboys as my second favorite team for a few particularly lean years in there (Lou Holtz, anyone?). Luckily the Giants sucked back then, too. My young psyche probably couldn't've handled the jints winning Super Bowls while the Jets were going 3-11. 

When I first moved to Houston I would pull for the Oilers and attended several games. But 1993 WC game changed all that -. Always had Jets number 1 and went to that game. The fans were such assholes I swore I would never root for this team again. I kept that promise. Now in Chicago I will be dipped in dog sh*t before I root for any team here.  Unless they play the Yankees. I don't care for Band wagon fans no loyalty.

Thoughts?

they weren't really fans in the first place.  You can't really be a fanatic, be fanatical and switch teams.  

I I know someone who's cousin switches teams in every sport.  Went from Mets to Yankees and now back to Mets.  Goes back and forth from Rangers to Devils, back to Rangers.  Has gone Jets, Giants back to Jets.  He's a casual fan, can't give you back end of roster info or discuss strategy, rules etc.  

You can boycott the team, but you cannot be a fan of another team without being a fraud. A team is not something that can be frivolously substituted like changing wives.

I used to be a Bon Jovi fan when I was a kid. Now they charge a sh*t load to play mom rock. How is this different than than what the Pirates did for LITERALLY 20 years? They used to be good (Bonds, Bonilla, Drabek years) then chose to sit on the Yankees welfare money. If I'm a fan of that team I don't sit around for 20 years waiting for them to even begin trying, Trying and just sucking, that, I said before, I can deal with.

I used to be a Knicks fan. Now, this is probably more a case of the NBA turning to sh*t, but I really don't care about the total mess that is the Knicks. They haven't actually made a move that didn't center around ticket sales in years. Why am I spending my entertainment dollar on them? 

What the Islanders have done for years is disgusting. Using buyouts to hit the cap floor? Ugh, nauseating. 

Im asking you because Savage is too set in his ways to grasp what Im saying, and Raiderholic is...yeah. 

PS, all this 'Support your team no matter if they hit on your daughter' thing is beyond tribal. It's what I hate about sports in general. Very little thinking involved, just colors. 

PPS, I need some street cred apparently. All the jerseys I own are of teams I've rooted fornsince childhood (30 years ago). Whew! The torchbearers have left my yard.

I used to be a Bon Jovi fan when I was a kid. Now they charge a sh*t load to play mom rock. How is this different than than what the Pirates did for LITERALLY 20 years? They used to be good (Bonds, Bonilla, Drabek years) then chose to sit on the Yankees welfare money. If I'm a fan of that team I don't sit around for 20 years waiting for them to even begin trying, Trying and just sucking, that, I said before, I can deal with.

I used to be a Knicks fan. Now, this is probably more a case of the NBA turning to sh*t, but I really don't care about the total mess that is the Knicks. They haven't actually made a move that didn't center around ticket sales in years. Why am I spending my entertainment dollar on them? 

What the Islanders have done for years is disgusting. Using buyouts to hit the cap floor? Ugh, nauseating. 

Im asking you because Savage is too set in his ways to grasp what Im saying, and Raiderholic is...yeah. 

PS, all this 'Support your team no matter if they hit on your daughter' thing is beyond tribal. It's what I hate about sports in general. Very little thinking involved, just colors. 

PPS, I need some street cred apparently. All the jerseys I own are of teams I've rooted fornsince childhood (30 years ago). Whew! The torchbearers have left my yard.

So someone is set in their ways if they don't agree with you?? LOL  I guess you never could have been a Red Sox fan..OK name all the NFL fan boycotts that have been successful and I'll listen.. :)

Archived