Jets among shaky 2-0 teams

BurnleyJet

Let me guess...this guy saw the MNF game, paid attention to Ivory the first time, and came to that conclusion?

Spot on!!!  And don't forget Ivory is/was dealing with a sore groin.  Superficial analysis at it's best

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree the Jets are "shaky".  Devin Smith is unproven and Milliner is, well, unreliable.  The team will certainly not maintain 5 turnovers/game.  Will the Jets continue to score at least 20 point/game? I sure hope so but I am sticking with my 9-7 projection.

So 9-7 is "shaky" to you?

He is talking about whether they are a confirmed playoff team.  His discussion was regarding teams that should not be printing their playoff tickets just yet.  I tend to agree with him.  The team has looked very good, but they have not faced much yet.  The Parcells stat and they one that comes from the turnovers is starting field position.  The Jets opponents average start is on the 22, the Jets start on the 38.  That is pretty significant and it is unlikely that it will continue at that rate. OTOH, that is exactly what Bowles is coaching for, like Kelly is coaching for plays per second.

Fair point.  Big difference is we have a QB under center who can occasionally take advantage of good field position.

And we havent even unleashed Crushers secret weapon, Dexter McDougle! 

Man, even if McDougle is an "okay" player, which I think will be his floor, this CB depth is insane.  There can't be another team in the NFL that comes close to what the Jets have.

Both of you go directly to Crusher's Holiday card and home made cookies* list.

*Note:Some cookies may come with bites out of them.  I have had my tetanus shots so it's ok.  Enjoy. 

They are not going to get this many turnovers every week.  Can they score without them?  It looks like they can, which is why I am hopeful, but recovering fumbles is generally luck and they have had quite a few - Gore spitting the ball up while he was walking into the end zone? 

For once in the history of the Jets, the ball has definitely been bouncing in our favor.  The Gore fumble, the Powell fumble, the Marshall strip, the bad snap recovered, etc.  The Jets arent going to get all the breaks, all season long and you cant count on 4 turnovers a game.

I wouldnt call the start shaky.  For the most part, the Jets controlled both games and were convincingly better than their opponent.  However, luck has been on their side but there hasnt been a league champion that hasnt benefited from a little bit of luck so I dont see it a knock against the Jets.  Besides, luck wasnt why they won the game even though they did have some balls bounce in their favor.  It will be interesting to see if they can just outright win a clean game where neither team makes any mistakes. 

I dont know what defines a shaky start but the only team that is 2-0 that I would put in that category is the Broncos. 

They are not going to get this many turnovers every week.  Can they score without them?  It looks like they can, which is why I am hopeful, but recovering fumbles is generally luck and they have had quite a few - Gore spitting the ball up while he was walking into the end zone? 

True.  But we also have had 2-3 per game we flat out "stole" from the other team with hustle and aggression.  Those are ones we could reproduce.  but 100% agreed we did not take full advantage of the ones against Indy.  We need to do a better job of that. 

Both of you go directly to Crusher's Holiday card and home made cookies* list.

*Note:Some cookies may come with bites out of them.  I have had my tetanus shots so it's ok.  Enjoy. 

box of crumbs and chocolate smeared card(napkin) shows up at the door

this team has a nasty defense, an above average offensive line, above average skill players and a veteran QB.

the start to this season has me so confident in this team.  

Defense yes but the offensive line struggled early running against the Colts.  Pass protection has been delicious. 

Oh come on Dom, you're a smarter football fan that that. How many 9-7 teams went to the Super Bowl? How many of them won it after making it there with that 'shaky' record?

How many didn't make the playoffs?  9-7 got Mangini fired.  Al Groh left and is a mere footnote.  I don't think they are a particularly "shaky" team, but I don't think that was the author's point.  He was talking about keeping up the 2-0 momentum into real contention.  The Jets may do it, but there are legitimate reasons to think that they won't.  They have been off to good starts before and flopped.  Fitzpatrick was 2-0 with the Texans last year and they didn't make it. 

When I walk into a party the guest scatter towards the food like roaches when the light comes on.  Luckily Im big enough to box out a couple dozen folks at once.  

For some reason I was just reminded of that scene from last years' Ray Donovan where Sully's (James Woods) bodyguard 'Tiny' threatened the Chinese guy who owned the all you can eat for $12.95 buffet about discriminating against him because he was so big and would literally eat him out of business had Ray's FBI guy Frank not killed the guy.

More anti Jet based rubbish..

Jets among shaky 2-0 teams; Texans among 0-2 teams with hope

If you're one of the nine undefeated teams in the NFL, you're no doubt feeling pretty good about your situation. After all, nine of the 15 teams to start 2-0 over the past two seasons went on to reach the playoffs. Conversely, if you're one of the nine teams looking for your first win, you might be feeling fairly low, considering that 13 of the 15 teams to start 0-2 over that span spent the postseason at home.

But those in the former group shouldn't forget about the six 2-0 teams that missed the playoffs (the Bears, Dolphins and Texans in 2013 and the Bills, Eagles and Texans in 2014), while those in the latter group should remember the two 0-2 squads that reached the playoffs (the Panthers in 2013 and the Colts last season). That is to say, no record guarantees anything this early.

Below, you'll see three 2-0 teams I have serious questions about and three 0-2 squads that have a good shot to turn their seasons around.

THREE UNDEFEATED TEAMS I'M WORRIED ABOUT

New York Jets

The Jets have a very good defense and a turnover differential of plus-eight -- that's why they're winning. But I see two trouble spots looming: the quarterback position and the running game. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good backup quarterback who is smart enough to play well on occasion, but I think there's a reason he's on his sixth team. I don't know if he can sustain success over a full season. Lead back Chris Ivory, meanwhile, is a guy who tries hard but isn't very special.

Coach Todd Bowles is very good, and the Jets' defense will present a lot of problems for opponents. But I don't think New York will be scoring a lot. This team is similar to the Texans, except the Jets don't have anyone like Arian Foster on their roster and they play in a much tougher division. New York also finishes up with three potentially difficult games (at Dallas, vs. New England and at Buffalo). For the Jets to have a chance, the defense will really have to carry the load.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000537084/article/jets-among-shaky-20-teams-texans-among-02-teams-with-hope

I agree about QB being shaky but not the run game.

How many didn't make the playoffs?  9-7 got Mangini fired.  Al Groh left and is a mere footnote.  I don't think they are a particularly "shaky" team, but I don't think that was the author's point.  He was talking about keeping up the 2-0 momentum into real contention.  The Jets may do it, but there are legitimate reasons to think that they won't.  They have been off to good starts before and flopped.  Fitzpatrick was 2-0 with the Texans last year and they didn't make it. 

Which is why so many of us who have been here before are very wary about Sunsay. I wrote it somewhere else how I have 'WE' have seen the Jets lose 25 of these games in this exact same situation. We need to find out if the 2015 Jets are something special or (God forbid) the SOJ

Honestly it was more of a family budget grocery issue. 

whats the general rule of thumb here? taze you after going back for 5th's ? taze you after your 3rd 3.00 am feeding? we want to know what exactly gets you tazed? and what if the wifey isn't around? wouldn't a shock collar work better?

So to be clear-

Team A has 2 terrible QBs, one good receiver, solid defense, but has an often injured never there when you need him but otherwise solid RB coming back maybe 2 weeks from now and is 0-2, they're on the upswing.

Team B has one serviceable QB, solid D, 2 great WR's, solid running backs, and is 2-0 and they're on the downswing?

Here's a little secret: Houston sucks. They're not good. And Bill O'Brien is waaaaaay overrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is so early! I don't think it is a surprise that his criticism  on us is QB. Many here feel the same way.  This guy is just talking the obvious option as his "shaky" 2 and 0 team because teams without a solid QB rarely win it all. I actually think Fitz is better than he does and he will have a really good season. But it is early and time will tell.

I love garbage articles and "analysis" like this..the Jets are a "shaky" 2-0...They beat two teams that they should have beaten, but then again, the same douchewipe that wrote this crap (and the others writing similar nonsense) almost all picked the Colts to win on Monday. Heck, Vegas had the Colts at -7.

As for the woe is me Cleveland browns, last I saw, Johnny ****tard was dropping bombs on Tennessee and the QB du Jour who everyone was sucking off last week was standing on the sidelines watching that Human Greasefire outplay him at his own game.

So the Jets are 2-0. They beat the 1-1 Browns and the Indianapolis Colts on the road on Monday night. They not only beat those teams, they beat them up, outscoring opponents 51-17, and knocked the Browns starting QB out if the game. The Defense has been relentless and have forced 10 TOs so far this season, meanwhile, the Offense is playing efficiently and well enough to win big.

So do I think the Jets chances of going undefeated are "shaky"? Yes. Because I don't expect them to go 16-0. But so far, they have more than handled the opponents on the schedule, and will be favored against an Eagles team under some duress right now. IF they come out this week and win again, will they be a "shaky" 3-0? Will the 0-3 Texans or toothless Ravens be more "solid"?  Please.

The Colts sold out against the Jets Run Game, and Fitz, Decker, and Marshall burned them in the air. Boo ******* Hoo.

I'll revisit this when the Jets are 4-0 after beating a Mami Dolphins team so poorly coached they lost to Jacksonville in what was essentially a home game....

For making the playoffs?  Yep.

Sure, but in Week 3, saying a team is a 9-7 caliber team means they're a team that can make the playoffs.  It doesn't make them "shaky".  A team that is truly 9-7 caliber after starting 2-0 can sneak its way to a 10-6 record very easily. 

The Cowboys, meanwhile, are 2-0 but look like a 7-9 team now (at best, even in that weak-ass division...if Romo and/or Dez never come back this season it could get worse).  That's the difference.

Archived