Jets concerns growing over Ryan Fitzpatrick's inability to throw deep pass

JetBlue

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billick didn't even say Fitzpatrick's arm strength was an issue, just that they had to be able to throw deep.  Does anybody have Fitzpatrick's deep ball stats from the last few years?  Are they league average?  Contributing factors.  Two dinged guards, one of whom missed the 2nd half and is out.  Missing #2 WR and #1 RB.  The top deep threat has been practicing for like a week.  It might take some time for Fitzpatrick to get any chemistry with him.

You guys are right; there is no mention of the anyone from the Jets being concerned.  Sorry for posting this.   

You're one of the good ones.  On behalf of the pro-FitzBeard coalition I accept your apology.  Just make sure to proofread columns a little better in the future.

The evidence, to me, IS in that he's thrown 5 interceptions in 3 games, and we've won 2 of them.

You also have to look past the stat sheet dude. Not all of those INTs were his fault, and as I said somewhere else, you could argue that none of them were so detrimental that they cost us a win.

Geno's turnovers cost us wins. Regularly. For 2 years.

The defense and running game had us in position to win football games on several occasions and Geno handed the win away. It was the #1 cause of late game losses, with Rex's defense collapsing in the end of the game being the other primary cause.

He's a journeyman QB, you have to expect his going to lay an egg here and there. What matters to me is that he's not handing games away. He's going to make mistakes, but they are absorbable so far. If we get out to a lead and he starts handing wins away... then it changes the conversation. As of now, it's one bad game. Fans need to get over it. 

How come nobody is questioning why were were punting the ball to Sproles? 

so we just need to average 5 turnovers on D a game to win with fitz then?

so we just need to average 5 turnovers on D a game to win with fitz then?

We didn't score points off of all the turnovers we made. The reality is somewhere in between.

I don't think I need to explain that the team that wins the turnover battle usually wins the game. We need to win the battle of scoring points off of turnovers, to take it a level deeper. 

Just leave Fritz in for another 4 or 5 games, the mood will change quickly on his ability. The formula and blueprint is now out there to stop the Jets offense.

Stack the box and stop the run game.

Sellout underneath

Play man deep and dare Fitz to beat you.

Keep the Jets defense on the field as long as possible so they are dead tired by middle of the third quarter. Continue to run it down there throats with mediocre RB's.

Blueprint.  Nobody read the memo before this season.  Fitzpatrick has been throwing TDs for years, but you just figured this out.  I'm sure Philbin will discover your formula and shut us down. 

Teams are not going man deep against Marshall.  He will eat them alive 1-on-1 even if the throw is a duck.

This post is as simplistic as saying Blueprint to beat the Jets:  Score more points than the Jets.

Blueprint.  Nobody read the memo before this season.  Fitzpatrick has been throwing TDs for years, but you just figured this out.  I'm sure Philbin will discover your formula and shut us down. 

Teams are not going man deep against Marshall.  He will eat them alive 1-on-1 even if the throw is a duck.

This post is as simplistic as saying Blueprint to beat the Jets:  Score more points than the Jets.

Simplistic is quite correct, Fitz is a great backup, God help any Jets fan looking past any team including the terrible Eagles, and awful dolphins.

Pretty easy to figure out my friend, the Eagles laid it out for every team we will play. You will know for sure this weekend if the Eagles get there butts kick again.

Until we can get a decent deep game, this offense will be very limited.

I certainly hope to be totally wrong, I really do. Yet, I fear time will prove me right, and by then the season will be lost. Worst then that is, if Geno finally comes in and does a really good job and we see this offense light it up.

Not a point in Fitzpatrick's favor.

Not a point in anyone's favor.

No team scores points off of every turnover their defense makes. 

I bring it up because it disproves the notion that all 5 turnovers per game, the first 2 weeks, were converted into points and essential to the formula for winning. To imply we'd need to average 5 turnovers a game for Fitz to win for us just doesn't add up... but here I am, expecting rational interpretation of statistics from Jet fans.

Do you think Geno would have led us to 5 scores following each of those 5 turnovers? 

This just in: Fitzpatrick isn't a HOF QB. 

This just in: Jets fans will whine after every loss. 

Hey guys, we all knew that our QB situation this year was going to be shaky. When you geniuses come out and say "Fitzpatrick is limited" or "Geno is too dumb to be an NFL QB" you aren't breaking news. EVERY Jet fan knows this. However, most intelligent Jet fans already understand this and will therefore root for whoever plays QB because we are JETS FANS. That is how most normal fans operate. Some of you aren't true Jets fans, but instead you are egotistical "ME" fans that would rather the Jets lose so you can say "See, I was right, Fitz sucks" or "See, I was right, Geno sucks."

Not a point in anyone's favor.

No team scores points off of every turnover their defense makes. 

I bring it up because it disproves the notion that all 5 turnovers per game, the first 2 weeks, were converted into points and essential to the formula for winning. To imply we'd need to average 5 turnovers a game for Fitz to win for us just doesn't add up... but here I am, expecting rational interpretation of statistics from Jet fans.

Do you think Geno would have led us to 5 scores following each of those 5 turnovers? 

This is the main problem with all of these threads.  For the most part they compare Fitzpatrick and Geno to some quarterback standard.  Neither will live up. 

I think that it is very much NOT in Fitzpatrick's favor that he didn't put up more points off those turnovers, however, in the Colts game it seemed obvious that they took their foot off the pedal to shorten the game and scored at will when they had to.  FWIW, I am VERY concerned with the lack of a run game.  I am not sure if any of that should be blamed on Fitzpatrick, but for our season we need to run.

This is the main problem with all of these threads.  For the most part they compare Fitzpatrick and Geno to some quarterback standard.  Neither will live up. 

I think that it is very much NOT in Fitzpatrick's favor that he didn't put up more points off those turnovers, however, in the Colts game it seemed obvious that they took their foot off the pedal to shorten the game and scored at will when they had to.  FWIW, I am VERY concerned with the lack of a run game.  I am not sure if any of that should be blamed on Fitzpatrick, but for our season we need to run.

I agree, but I don't believe any QB other than Brady and Rodgers would have gone 5/5 on scoring off of those turnovers.

In other words, our best of the worst QB got us what he got us, which was enough to help towards 2 wins. He didn't make any turnovers himself that prevented us from winning. What I've seen from Geno is that he probably converts less points off of the turnovers, and makes most costly turnovers of his own... therefore the "we need to have 5 turnovers a game to win with Fitz" comment is a false premise.

That's what I'm arguing. I'm not arguing that Fitz is a good QB. I'm arguing the false logic.

I agree, but I don't believe any QB other than Brady and Rodgers would have gone 5/5 on scoring off of those turnovers.

In other words, our best of the worst QB got us what he got us, which was enough to help towards 2 wins. He didn't make any turnovers himself that prevented us from winning. What I've seen from Geno is that he probably converts less points off of the turnovers, and makes most costly turnovers of his own... therefore the "we need to have 5 turnovers a game to win with Fitz" comment is a false premise.

That's what I'm arguing. I'm not arguing that Fitz is a good QB. I'm arguing the false logic.

Reading this board we do not deal with false logic.  We do not deal with logic at all. 

Just re-watched game; so many mistakes everywhere.  But to me, the biggest problem was Fitz.  My problem isn't the fact that he wasn't that accurate, but he made too many mental mistakes.  Too many times he threw to Devin Smith when he wasn't covered.  Kerley was wide open and not targeted or overthrown. That tipped ball int (not the Marshall tip) he was trying to avoid the sack.  These things happen, but the point with going with Fitz over Geno is his smarts and ability to read defenses.  If Geno played like this, we would be all over him.  He needs to focus or we might as well go with the guy with better athleticism.

I know he isn't comfortable with Kerley and Smith, but he has to do better.  Just my opinion.

Whenever a QB gets in the 50 + throws in a game its because the team is way behind and abandoned the run. Its a function of the score and its also putting the QB in a position of where he is one dimensional. At times a Defense will play prevent inflating said QB's stats then at other times they will keep up the pressure. 

Saying Ryan Fitzpatrick should not be throwing the ball 50 + times is the same statement as saying the Jets should not be falling behind by 24 points . Falling behind by 24 points is not good for any QB and any QB in that situation will not have a good percentage of winning. 

Literally nowhere in this article is there any implication that anyone affiliated with the Jets is concerned about Fitzpatrick's ability to throw deep.

It also does not mention the fact Fitz has thrown deep into some pretty tight coverage trying to open things up underneath. Lets judge Fitz when and if he starts missing a lot of Wide open receivers deep. 

Just re-watched game; so many mistakes everywhere.  But to me, the biggest problem was Fitz.  My problem isn't the fact that he wasn't that accurate, but he made too many mental mistakes.  Too many times he threw to Devin Smith when he wasn't covered.  Kerley was wide open and not targeted or overthrown. That tipped ball int (not the Marshall tip) he was trying to avoid the sack.  These things happen, but the point with going with Fitz over Geno is his smarts and ability to read defenses.  If Geno played like this, we would be all over him.  He needs to focus or we might as well go with the guy with better athleticism.

I know he isn't comfortable with Kerley and Smith, but he has to do better.  Just my opinion.

Yes, if Geno played like this we would be all over him, but isn't this thread proof that we are all over Fitzpatrick?  Racism is being eradicated slowly, but subtleties remain - Geno is dumb and unable to read defenses, Fitzpatrick has a chicken arm and can't run. 

Yes, if Geno played like this we would be all over him, but isn't this thread proof that we are all over Fitzpatrick?  Racism is being eradicated slowly, but subtleties remain - Geno is dumb and unable to read defenses, Fitzpatrick has a chicken arm and can't run. 

This was a thread about his 'weak' arm.  My point is that I think the problem was not the strength of his arm, but the decisions that he made.  And I thought it was ironic that his advantage over Geno was supposed to be smart decisions.  It has nothing to do with the color of anybody's skin.  I still think he has the edge, but in reality if he had made some smarter decisions, I think  we could have won the game.  His arm will get a little stronger as his legs get stronger, let's hope his decision making process gets better too.

This was a thread about his 'weak' arm.  My point is that I think the problem was not the strength of his arm, but the decisions that he made.  And I thought it was ironic that his advantage over Geno was supposed to be smart decisions.  It has nothing to do with the color of anybody's skin.  I still think he has the edge, but in reality if he had made some smarter decisions, I think  we could have won the game.  His arm will get a little stronger as his legs get stronger, let's hope his decision making process gets better too.

I was kind of joking and not directing at you at all.  It really isn't racism so much as prejudice.  Sloppy looking guys with beards are slow.  Guys from Harvard make smart football decisions. I actually agree with your point.  I think the weak arm comments are overrated, but I was moving and didn't get to pay much attention to the Eagles game. People expect him to be a game manager, but he has never been the most risk averse guy.

the biggest problem isn't Fitz arm - it's the jets total inability to run the ball.    the colts and eagles aren't exactly known for being stout up front and the Jets have had no running game at all for 3 consecutive weeks.   If the jets can consistently run the football, Fitz arm is just fine.   if he is throwing it 50+ times / game this team is sunk.   

the biggest problem isn't Fitz arm - it's the jets total inability to run the ball.    the colts and eagles aren't exactly known for being stout up front and the Jets have had no running game at all for 3 consecutive weeks.   If the jets can consistently run the football, Fitz arm is just fine.   if he is throwing it 50+ times / game this team is sunk.   

Chicken or the egg. The Pennington years have gotten the board conditioned to blaming any failure in the running game on deficiencies in QB arm strength.

Lack of touch on the deep ball seems to be more of a problem to me. He had Devin Smith several times and instead of rainbowing it over the defender and letting Smith track it down Fitz threw it on a line and expected the diminutive receiver to win a jump ball.

Who was I arguing with about deciding between WR's because of their ability to go get the 50/50 jump ball during the offseason?  He was ridiculing me and making fun of me because he claims it happens literally once a week across all the games in the entire NFL.  

And here we are heading into week 4 and all Fitz does is throw 50/50 jump balls in single coverage.

Who was I arguing with about deciding between WR's because of their ability to go get the 50/50 jump ball during the offseason?  He was ridiculing me and making fun of me because he claims it happens literally once a week across all the games in the entire NFL.  

And here we are heading into week 4 and all Fitz does is throw 50/50 jump balls in single coverage.

I remember this, it was believed that White was better than Coop because of jump ball ability.  Coop will be going to the HOF one day. Not even sure if white plays a down

Archived