Show me......Mattttttt Stafford

Lego My Lageman

"Geno maybe is good because he's only sucked for 30 games we can't give up! Oh, Stafford? HE SUCKS!!!"

-Jetnation.com brainiacs

One of my favorite comments this offseason was "Don't trade for Glennon, we know what he is, a career back-up" followed by "We can't give up on Geno, we don't know what he is yet".  This, despite Glennon out-performing Geno in every single meaningful statistical category.  People are hilarious with the Geno love.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite comments this offseason was "Don't trade for Glennon, we know what he is, a career back-up" followed by "We can't give up on Geno, we don't know what he is yet".  This, despite Glennon out-performing Geno in every single meaningful statistical category.  People are hilarious with the Geno love.

My favorite retort is, if Geno was a Dolphin how many of us would fear he would suddenly become good after 30 games of suck? Hell, people have already buried Tannenhill after a poor first 4 games. And if anyone has built-in excuses, it's Tannenhill with the abject disfunction permeating the entire Dolphins team.

The Geno love is Jet fan hope. Nothing evil about it but let's call it what it is. GMs don't have the luxury of managing a team via hope.

Listen carefully.  Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, that wants Stafford has not seen him play regularly.  I lived in Michigan from 2009 until 2014.  I have seen a lot of him.  Nearly every week he started for years.

Stafford is lazy, as shown by his lousy footwork.  He has the ability to make throws only a few can, off his back foot and sidearm on a rope.  Improvisational throws are a nice trait.  However, he often does this when the pocket is fine too with no pressure, and it results in inaccurate throws...sometimes sailing 6 feet over Calvin's 6'5" frame, and that doesn't even factor in his reach which is probably 10' plus.    Stafford's footwork has not gotten one iota better since his rookie season.

Stafford has the wrong vibe for an NFL QB.  I liken Stafford's skill set and vibe to Cutler without quite the level of bad attitude as Cutler.  He also displays the arrogance of Aaron Rodgers but is not even on the same planet as A-Rodg.  Make no mistake, Stafford has the wrong stuff to lead an NFL team.  It is evident in his body language and how his teammates have interracted with him during his tenure in Detroit. 

Trust me.

Listen carefully.  Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, that wants Stafford has not seen him play regularly.  I lived in Michigan from 2009 until 2014.  I have seen a lot of him.  Nearly every week he started for years.

Stafford is lazy, as shown by his lousy footwork.  He has the ability to make throws only a few can, off his back foot and sidearm on a rope.  Improvisational throws are a nice trait.  However, he often does this when the pocket is fine too with no pressure, and it results in inaccurate throws...sometimes sailing 6 feet over Calvin's 6'5" frame, and that doesn't even factor in his reach which is probably 10' plus.    Stafford's footwork has not gotten one iota better since his rookie season.

Stafford has the wrong vibe for an NFL QB.  I liken Stafford's skill set and vibe to Cutler without quite the level of bad attitude as Cutler.  He also displays the arrogance of Aaron Rodgers but is not even on the same planet as A-Rodg.  Make no mistake, Stafford has the wrong stuff to lead an NFL team.  It is evident in his body language and how his teammates have interracted with him during his tenure in Detroit. 

Trust me.

Listen carefully. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, that doesn't want Stafford has not seen Jets QBs play regularly. Trust me.

Listen carefully. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, that doesn't want Stafford has not seen Jets QBs play regularly. Trust me.

Clever.  Foolish but clever.  You will count on zero fingers how many Super Bowls rings Jay Cutler and his slightly less douchey clone Stafford will own when their starting QB days are over.  Maybe one wins a Super Bowl as a backup someday.  Stafford gets the Jets no closer to a Super Bowl than Fitz.  What Fitz lacks in talent, he makes up for with grit and leadership.  Fitz also costs a lot less.  Stafford is not the answer. 

Clever.  Foolish but clever.  You will count on zero fingers how many Super Bowls rings Jay Cutler and his slightly less douchey clone Stafford will own when their starting QB days are over.  Maybe one wins a Super Bowl as a backup someday.  Stafford gets the Jets no closer to a Super Bowl than Fitz.  What Fitz lacks in talent, he makes up for with grit and leadership.  Fitz also costs a lot less.  Stafford is not the answer. 

45 years since Namath. Stafford would be top 3 since, easily.

I get that the people who have seen him the most think stafford sux - he'd easily be our best QB right now if he were traded today.  However it'd be cancerous some how some way.  But it's all moot as his contract is simply a non starter.

AHHHH Drew Brees otoh- Drew mothafukn Brees on this exact roster makes us a Super Bowl contender-draft him a scatback to catch those screens and wheels and watch this ship explode!

I get that the people who have seen him the most think stafford sux - he'd easily be our best QB right now if he were traded today.  However it'd be cancerous some how some way.  But it's all moot as his contract is simply a non starter.

AHHHH Drew Brees otoh- Drew mothafukn Brees on this exact roster makes us a Super Bowl contender-draft him a scatback to catch those screens and wheels and watch this ship explode!

I actually think there could be a chance Drew Brees is QB for the 2016 NY Jets. Where else could he go? I look at Brees & I see a very intelligent guy that would ask these questions:

1- Where would I go to have a chance to get to another Super Bowl? When you look at every team that needs a QB the Jets have the most talent. The only time that Brees got to a Super Bowl was with a REALLY GOOD DEFENSE.

2- Can I respect the Head Coach? Hmm, another Parcells disciple just like Payton.

3- I'd love to finish my career with the ultimate challenge. Beating Brady & BB. Nothing more satisfying than than that.

Ok, but just remember this Stafford to Jets conversation was started by this random thought from the renowned LegomyLageman: """"Dude need a new coach and a change in scenery. Kid has all the tools, Id love to see us grab him in the offseason in a trade."""" 

If we're going this route, I want Aaron Rodgers in an offseason trade in exchange for a 6th or 7th round pick. I would also extend this offer to Russell Wilson. Maybe snag both. 

#itsallpartofmybyeweekfantasy

Ok, but just remember this Stafford to Jets conversation was started by this random thought from the renowned LegomyLageman: """"Dude need a new coach and a change in scenery. Kid has all the tools, Id love to see us grab him in the offseason in a trade."""" 

If we're going this route, I want Aaron Rodgers in an offseason trade in exchange for a 6th or 7th round pick. I would also extend this offer to Russell Wilson. Maybe snag both. 

#itsallpartofmybyeweekfantasy

Thanks for reminding me that this is just a thread on a messageboard.

That contract is insane for the player he is. His numbers are greatly inflated throwing to the best receiver in football in a dome, and they're still nothing special. No one is trading for Stafford with that contract and, if he got cut, he'd clear waivers because of that contract. At $5-6M/year, I'd bring him in to compete for a starting job. That's about it. 

Did anyone really say those two things? Lol. 

A lot of people here were interested in Glennon, especially with VtF's full court press on the subject. First problem with that was, IMHO, Glennon was never available for a trade. If Tampa wanted to get something for Glennon on the market, they would've held onto McCown. They didn't. They went with Glennon as their backup this year. Trading for Glennon is something we can discuss again in the upcoming offseason. And then what do you give up for him? One of the Jets' DL? A second round pick? 

I don't think anyone loves Geno, either, that's like the king of misnomers. But the big difference between Geno and just about every other QB we discuss around here is that Geno is already on the roster. It costs nothing to give him a shot. And I f he gets that shot, it won't be a blind move after giving up a pick, player, and/or new contract, it'd be after watching him perform on the practice field and determining that he deserves it. It's not like Geno hasn't shown flashes, either. He finished his first two seasons strong. Pretty sure I read somewhere that he was the only QB in the league to have a perfect passer rating in a game last year. It's not like he sucked every time he stepped on the field - as his detractors would have you believe. 

It's very possible Geno irreparably damaged his ability to lead the team with his role in getting his jaw broken. Entirely possible that despite what Bowles has said publicly, he's done with Geno. If that's the case, then that's that. If that's not the case, then my opinion of the Jets QBs hasn't changed: Fitz has the higher floor, Geno has the higher ceiling. That said, it's Fitz's team for now. They're not switching to Geno, and they're certainly not trading for another starter. It'll stay that way as long as Fitz stays healthy and the defense can protect a lead. 

Dude need a new coach and a change in scenery. Kid has all the tools, Id love to see us grab him in the offseason in a trade. Forgive me, the bye week has my mind all over. 

No he blows.  Without Megatron he's being exposed.

On JI the consensus was Stafford was on the same level as Brady and Manning for years.

This may sound crazy but if we can get Kaepernick on the cheap now I'd still be interested in taking a chance on him.  Not saying he's necessarily the answer for us but it's possible he can get back to his early-career form.  And he'll be an upgrade for us in the meantime.  I think he would play better on a team that needed less from him.  The Jets have a lot of good pieces to the point where Kaep wouldn't have to try to carry the team.

you guys love has-been qb's 

Stafford is not the Jets answer at the QB position. If he's a free agent and we are in the market for a QB then bring him in for a tryout like the rest of them and make a decision.  The only QB out there that the Jets should trade for is probably Brees and that's only because the Saints may want to rebuild and get rid of the contract.  Other than him I can't think of a QB that could be available for a trade besides Cutler.

How do you do it old friend. Sometimes I read this board and I feel like an old man having a conversation with a teenager about life.  I don't post much anymore because the vast majority are not worth having a conversation with.

How do you do it old friend.

I find posting without reading others responses works fairly well.

That contract is insane for the player he is. His numbers are greatly inflated throwing to the best receiver in football in a dome, and they're still nothing special. No one is trading for Stafford with that contract and, if he got cut, he'd clear waivers because of that contract. At $5-6M/year, I'd bring him in to compete for a starting job. That's about it. 

Did anyone really say those two things? Lol. 

A lot of people here were interested in Glennon, especially with VtF's full court press on the subject. First problem with that was, IMHO, Glennon was never available for a trade. If Tampa wanted to get something for Glennon on the market, they would've held onto McCown. They didn't. They went with Glennon as their backup this year. Trading for Glennon is something we can discuss again in the upcoming offseason. And then what do you give up for him? One of the Jets' DL? A second round pick? 

I don't think anyone loves Geno, either, that's like the king of misnomers. But the big difference between Geno and just about every other QB we discuss around here is that Geno is already on the roster. It costs nothing to give him a shot. And I f he gets that shot, it won't be a blind move after giving up a pick, player, and/or new contract, it'd be after watching him perform on the practice field and determining that he deserves it. It's not like Geno hasn't shown flashes, either. He finished his first two seasons strong. Pretty sure I read somewhere that he was the only QB in the league to have a perfect passer rating in a game last year. It's not like he sucked every time he stepped on the field - as his detractors would have you believe. 

It's very possible Geno irreparably damaged his ability to lead the team with his role in getting his jaw broken. Entirely possible that despite what Bowles has said publicly, he's done with Geno. If that's the case, then that's that. If that's not the case, then my opinion of the Jets QBs hasn't changed: Fitz has the higher floor, Geno has the higher ceiling. That said, it's Fitz's team for now. They're not switching to Geno, and they're certainly not trading for another starter. It'll stay that way as long as Fitz stays healthy and the defense can protect a lead. 

Yes, I forget who, but it was in one of the many Glennon threads.  Poster said it was time to give up on Glennon who has been ten-times better than Geno, but that the jury was still out on Geno, who has had more starts, and infinitely more fail.

I wouldn't necessarily say Stafford blows without Megatron. FO adjusts well for this stuff and Stafford's generally scored average to slightly below average. Certainly not worth his contract, but we haven't had a consistent average to slightly below average QB in a really long time.

So you want to pay $17 million in base salary next season for average to slightly below avg?

I wouldn't necessarily say Stafford blows without Megatron. FO adjusts well for this stuff and Stafford's generally scored average to slightly below average. Certainly not worth his contract, but we haven't had a consistent average to slightly below average QB in a really long time.

Stafford isn't worth half of what Detroit pays him.  he's a guy that puts up decent #s to fool fans. he's not and has never been a very good QB.

Stafford isn't worth half of what Detroit pays him.  he's a guy that puts up decent #s to fool fans. he's not and has never been a very good QB.

Stafford got most of his stats chucking it to Calvin Johnson downfield while he was triple covered.  0 playoff wins in spite of playing on some good teams.  Now it's all falling apart.

Stafford got most of his stats chucking it to Calvin Johnson downfield while he was triple covered.  0 playoff wins in spite of playing on some good teams.  Now it's all falling apart.

it's odd though, I know Calvin has slowed down a bit but w/ him and Tate they still have an excellent tandem of starting WRs yet Stafford has been awful.

Yes, I forget who, but it was in one of the many Glennon threads.  Poster said it was time to give up on Glennon who has been ten-times better than Geno, but that the jury was still out on Geno, who has had more starts, and infinitely more fail.

Tampa Bay wouldn't trade Glennon for Geno. There you go.

Tampa Bay wouldn't trade Glennon for Geno. There you go.

I'm told that's only because they don't know anything about quarterbacks, but when you offer that as a reason for why they continually benched Glennon, they're an NFL FO who knows talent when they see it.  Odd.

you guys love has-been qb's 

That's what happens when all you've had lately are never-was QB's.  Grass always seems greener with someone else.  No one should be advocating trading for or paying these guys $16-17M.  But they're better than what we've had.  Whatever Kaep became, do you remember how good he looked on his Super Bowl Run in 2012?  Dude threw for 263 yards and ran for 181 against the Packers.  He followed that up with an efficient 16-21 day against Atlanta and 364 total yards against the Ravens in the Super Bowl. 

When have we had a QB who could ever have done something like that?  Can you really blame the Niners for signing him to a mega-extension after that?  We would have fallen in love with the guy.  Yet people are acting like he always was trash.  Please.  You have people making excuses for Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith around these parts.  The minute we get a QB who can do what Kaep did for just one postseason he'd be treated like a god.

Who we have doesn't equate in the conversation . Just because we have trash doesn't mean we saddle ourselves with someone else's trash just because it's slightly better. Especially when that trash is considerably more expensive. Everything Roadfan stated is pretty dead on. Stafford's decision making is atrocious. The moment Calvin Johnson went from all world to just outstanding and Stafford totally went to sh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what happens when all you've had lately are never-was QB's.  Grass always seems greener with someone else.  No one should be advocating paying these guys $16-17M.  But they're better than what we've had.  Whatever Kaep became, do you remember how good he looked on his Super Bowl Run in 2012?  When have we had a QB who did that?

Kaepernick never really looked great. He came into a team that was loaded midway through the season with a completely different technique than what teams had been preparing for and basically had the Tebow effect for the 49ers. Once the team around him unraveled you had the same guy making 1-2 reads and then trying to run but that kind of play doesn't breed success without a team to support it.

That's what happens when all you've had lately are never-was QB's.  Grass always seems greener with someone else.  No one should be advocating trading for or paying these guys $16-17M.  But they're better than what we've had.  Whatever Kaep became, do you remember how good he looked on his Super Bowl Run in 2012?  Dude threw for 263 yards and ran for 181 against the Packers.  He followed that up with an efficient 16-21 day against Atlanta and 364 total yards against the Ravens in the Super Bowl. 

When have we had a QB who could ever have done something like that?  Can you really blame the Niners for signing him to a mega-extension after that?  We would have fallen in love with the guy.  Yet people are acting like he always was trash.  Please.  You have people making excuses for Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith around these parts.  The minute we get a QB who can do what Kaep did for just one postseason he'd be treated like a god.

when is the last time we had a QB that could do that? not running but Sanchez was that.  the difference is Sanchez's career was derailed from a lack of talent around him unlike Kaep who still has a talented O to lead.

Mark was outstanding in those 2 postseasons for us.

Kaepernick never really looked great. He came into a team that was loaded midway through the season with a completely different technique than what teams had been preparing for and basically had the Tebow effect for the 49ers. Once the team around him unraveled you had the same guy making 1-2 reads and then trying to run but that kind of play doesn't breed success without a team to support it.

Lying.  Straight up lying right there.  Kaep and RG3 were the toast of the NFL in 2012.  Kaep's Niners put up 45 points on the Packers in the playoffs.  45.

Archived