Dee Milliner

deucebag

Pryor was pretty bad and he is better this year.

Is it your thought that we have a similar turnaround situation in Milliner?

Here's another question.  If that draft were done over again today would Milliner even get drafted and if so, where?  OK, so that is two questions.

he wouldn't get drafted where he did due to injuries.  We've all said his issues are injuries.  His college career and his talent got him taken in the top ten.  Injuries push him out now, after the fact.  

Bowles has an idea of which of his cbs can do what.  If he thinks he sucks, he's gone.  Has nothing to do with who's here to give him a benefit of the doubt. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't think anyone is saying to not give him a chance.  What I am saying is that he is running out of chances at this point and the group of people (GM and HC) who might be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in the past are no longer with the team.

the crazy guy wants him off the team, keeps saying he won't make the roster, will be cut, is a bum and a bust.  That's where this all started.  

Based on talent? Sure. Based on actual football production and performance? No.

Who are you giving him playing time over? Cro? Skrine? Look at the reps. The backup corners get little run unless there is an injury. Milliner is too fragile to play special teams, so he's at a distinct disadvantage.

Walls is the primary backup safety this weekend and one of the better special teams players. He isn't getting cut. 

Walls is not better than Milliner when Milliner is healthy and on the field.  You figure out which one stays.  If he stays healthy Milliner replaces Cro next year.  Thought that was the plan and still think it is.  But he has to stay healthy.  

You keep insisting there aren't enough reps, yet there are plenty for the entire group.

the crazy guy wants him off the team, keeps saying he won't make the roster, will be cut, is a bum and a bust.  That's where this all started.  

Coach Todd Bowles said there wasn't room on the roster. Not me. I never said he'd get cut and I never said he's a bum or a bust. I said he wasn't very good in the limited time that he's actually been able to play.

Walls is not better than Milliner when Milliner is healthy and on the field.  You figure out which one stays.  If he stays healthy Milliner replaces Cro next year.  Thought that was the plan and still think it is.  But he has to stay healthy.  

You keep insisting there aren't enough reps, yet there are plenty for the entire group.

Walls replaced Milliner multiple times in 2013 and 2014 because he was playing better.  Last game Revis, Cro and Skrine played all of the reps except when Skrine got hurt. Then Marcus Williams was in for 12 plays. That's it. Revis and Cro never come off the field. Bowles isn't giving anyone else reps. Check the stats and then come back and let me know what you find. You'll find out you're wrong. 

Given what shot? There are no game day reps for CBs not named Cro, Revis or Skrine. Williams and McDougle have gotten very limited playing time when Skrine got hurt and Cro went down.  They're mostly healthy. The only playing time to be had is on special teams, which is not something Milliner should be doing. Unless Milliner has been training and practicing as a safety, there is no use or need for him right now. 

Good depth is huge. We all know that. Cro won't be here long. I'd rather see what Milliner has than just run with what we know we have in Walls. 

Good depth is huge. We all know that. Cro won't be here long. I'd rather see what Milliner has than just run with what we know we have in Walls. 

I'd bet the coaches know what they have in both and in Williams and McDougle. They're not rushing Milliner back. They'll have to wait until next offseason to see it unless there are multiple injuries at CB. Yes, it's good to have depth, but that depth is going to keep Milliner sidelined until 2016. 

Coach Todd Bowles said there wasn't room on the roster. Not me. I never said he'd get cut and I never said he's a bum or a bust. I said he wasn't very good in the limited time that he's actually been able to play.

Walls replaced Milliner multiple times in 2013 and 2014 because he was playing better.  Last game Revis, Cro and Skrine played all of the reps except when Skrine got hurt. Then Marcus Williams was in for 12 plays. That's it. Revis and Cro never come off the field. Bowles isn't giving anyone else reps. Check the stats and then come back and let me know what you find. You'll find out you're wrong. 

And Walls couldnt hold onto the job against a raw rookie.  Coach Bowles said there might not be room on the roster TODAY.  Huge difference.  Injuries and the fact that Milliner has had one week of practice with no preseason snaps is why.  Not that hes not good enough.  Thats what youre saying, a different story all together.  You're kidding yourself if you think Milliner will be held out until next year.  He's playing whether theres an injury or not

You are right, they don't get tons of snaps but given that they are getting reps behind Revis, Cro and Skrine any snaps are a big deal.  There are only 50 or fewer snaps on passing downs, at best.  

Pryor was pretty bad and he is better this year.

Is it your thought that we have a similar turnaround situation in Milliner?

I think Milliner struggled with confidence more than anything else, and Rex's dreadful record with young players is what it is. Given that Pryor was god-awful last year and looks pretty good this year should give us hope that Milliner can have a similar career arc. As for him being drafted, he's still a prototype athlete for the position, so I can't imagine he'd drop too far. It takes corners a year or two sometimes.

And Walls couldnt hold onto the job against a raw rookie.  Coach Bowles said there might not be room on the roster TODAY.  Huge difference.  Injuries and the fact that Milliner has had one week of practice with no preseason snaps is why.  Not that hes not good enough.  Thats what youre saying, a different story all together.  You're kidding yourself if you think Milliner will be held out until next year.  He's playing whether theres an injury or not

You are right, they don't get tons of snaps but given that they are getting reps behind Revis, Cro and Skrine any snaps are a big deal.  There are only 50 or fewer snaps on passing downs, at best.  

Again. When is he playing barring an injury? I'm done with this line of argument until you actually have some semblance of an idea of how Bowles runs his defense. The top 3 CBs never leave the field, same with the safeties. Doesn't matter who the #4 through #7 CBs are when they don't play. It does matter for those guys to be able to play specials. So, unless Milliner starts doing that, it won't really matter except to stand around on Sundays like he has been for most of his career. 

I think Milliner struggled with confidence more than anything else, and Rex's dreadful record with young players is what it is. Given that Pryor was god-awful last year and looks pretty good this year should give us hope that Milliner can have a similar career arc. As for him being drafted, he's still a prototype athlete for the position, so I can't imagine he'd drop too far. It takes corners a year or two sometimes.

A year or two from now or from when drafted? He hasn't been able to play or practice consistently in a while. And with a new system, the learning curve is probably even greater. 

I mean, he's an unknown quantity right now. I get the frustration, but Milliner was an elite NFL prospect the day he walked onto the Alabama campus. There are tools there, and he's shown some talent. I'm inclined to blame the coaching with him and Pryor more than the talent. 

Again. When is he playing barring an injury? I'm done with this line of argument until you actually have some semblance of an idea of how Bowles runs his defense. The top 3 CBs never leave the field, same with the safeties. Doesn't matter who the #4 through #7 CBs are when they don't play. It does matter for those guys to be able to play specials. So, unless Milliner starts doing that, it won't really matter except to stand around on Sundays like he has been for most of his career. 

He's better than Walls, hes better than Williams.  You draw your conclusions.  You think I need help with how Bowles runs his D? LOL.  Top 3 CBs never leave the field?  You mean two corners and a nickel?  Like every other team deploys over 90% of the time?  

Your problem is easy.  You think that Milliner sucks, you want him gone and think he is behind Walls, Williams and Dex.  I don't agree.  Doesnt take a over the top, error filled description of what type of D Bowles would run if he had his best backs at his disposal.

Let it play out, we'll know soon enough

Gave Sanchez half a decade, but can't give Milliner another shot? Dude would be taking the place of a scrub, not a starting spot. 

meh.... if he changes great

Different than a QB situation.....never felt we handled Sanchez well from day one..... the DB needs to basically cover his man and Milliner can't seem to pull that off. He got props for rookie of the month vs crappy competition and Jets fans were all a glow then its been injury after injury

He's better than Walls, hes better than Williams.  You draw your conclusions.  You think I need help with how Bowles runs his D? LOL.  Top 3 CBs never leave the field?  You mean two corners and a nickel?  Like every other team deploys over 90% of the time?  

Your problem is easy.  You think that Milliner sucks, you want him gone and think he is behind Walls, Williams and Dex.  I don't agree.  Doesnt take a over the top, error filled description of what type of D Bowles would run if he had his best backs at his disposal.

Hes not better than Williams

A couple of points:

- He's not eligible to be activated until next week, so the fact that he hasn't been activated yet doesn't mean anything.

- We have lots of injuries potentially keeping players out of games (but not on the IR).  Wesley Johnson is on in case Mangold is limited.  And if Pryor is hurt, we only have 2 safeties.

If Mangold is good to go next week, and we waive Johnson, it's possible we'll need to call up Rontez Miles if Pryor is still dinged up.

But yes, at this point, I'd have to say he'd be the 5th or 6th CB.

I think Milliner is the #4 CB when healthy. If he proves he can stay healthy he can eventually be the # 2. But that is not very likely. Because he can't stay healthy and Cromartie is playing very well right now.

No. I mean Revis, Cro, and Skrine are on the field all of the time unless one of them gets injured. He doesn't rotate defensive backs like he does the defensive line, which he doesn't do all that often either. You just don't get it. You really think the way he operates the defense will change because a guy coming off of two different injuries in two different years is practicing again for the first time in two months? Really? Sit down. 

the quote system screwed up. 

Worst quote system ever and almost impossible to dig yourself out.  It is close to making this message board unusable.  In any event clicking on the source button permits you to wipe things out and, if you feel a little adventurous to fix up the quote by editing the source.

Worst quote system ever and almost impossible to dig yourself out.  It is close to making this message board unusable.  In any event clicking on the source button permits you to wipe things out and, if you feel a little adventurous to fix up the quote by editing the source.

So anyway, Rex blows

No. I mean Revis, Cro, and Skrine are on the field all of the time unless one of them gets injured. He doesn't rotate defensive backs like he does the defensive line, which he doesn't do all that often either. You just don't get it. You really think the way he operates the defense will change because a guy coming off of two different injuries in two different years is practicing again for the first time in two months? Really? Sit down. 

If Milliner is playing well in practice, I don't think Bowles would hesitate to give him some snaps, particularly if Cro keeps getting torched.

If Milliner is playing well in practice, I don't think Bowles would hesitate to give him some snaps, particularly if Cro keeps getting torched.

Williams has shown more than Cro (and Milliner). So why would Milliner get the call if Cro struggles pop up again? That doesn't say much to the men in the room working their asses off. 

Williams has shown more than Cro (and Milliner). So why would Milliner get the call if Cro struggles pop up again? That doesn't say much to the men in the room working their asses off. 

If Cro continues to struggle and Bowles starts looking to the future, he'd open it up to Williams's and Milliner, I'd guess. I'd imagine he's looking at Walls in the Gilchrist/Honey Badger role. How Bowles decides to arbitrate this possible competition is anyone's guess, but I think it's telling that he guaranteed Milliner nothing in training camp. IMO, the best guy will win.

Other than he has never struggled to find a spot on the 53 man roster you might have a point.

Of course, you don't.

I think you should reread Bowles comment in the original post. We are struggling to see if we have room for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should reread Bowles comment in the original post. We are struggling to see if we have room for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need to read deeper than that.  He's had his first week of practice.  Players are brought back off IR and put right on the roster even though they won't play.  Bowles doesn't have that luxury due to injuries and that he has depth at the position.  

I don't get it. Don't get how you keep coming back for more.  I'll bet whatever you want right now that Milliner is on the roster this year unless he's injured.  

Giving me a real lesson that the starting corners and starting nickel don't get subbed like the line?  Thanks for the insight. Now you sit down.  

Calvin Pryor was the worst player in the league last year. 

Rex's coaching. I know. 

But even if Bowles and his staff can get Milliner to improve performance-wise, the kid has proven that he's made of glass. He has a love affair with the injury report. 

I would shop him around to see what you can get for him. For a mid round pick, send him packing. 

9th player overall in the 2013 NFL Draft & we are struggling to find a spot for him on the 53 man roster.       Eh-hem,...........BUST.

I can't quite understand why you get neg repped so much. I don't post often but I hope it's because you're not liked. The statement you made is 100% accurate. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/nick_mangold_calvin_pryor_bilal_powell_jets-oaklan.html

CB Dee Milliner: He is fully recovered from wrist surgery that landed him on short-term injured reserve to begin the season. "I think he's ready to play when he's eligible," Bowles said of the former first-round draft pick. "We've just got to see if we've got room [on the active roster]." According to NFL rules, Milliner was eligible to practice after Week 6. And that's when he indeed returned to practice. He isn't eligible to play until after Week 8 (this week). So Milliner could be activated as soon as Monday, for the Jets' Week 9 home game against the Jaguars. But it's not a sure thing yet that Milliner will be added to the active roster next week, after the Jets return from Oakland. 

so whats the deal with milliner ?

so whats the deal with milliner ?

I think it is simply that this regime likes to know it;s players well and they are comfy with the CB's that have been activated.  Whether he gets activated and starts playing or not something has to be done about Cromartie, we'll see if this staff really means it when it is said, best players play.

With the way we have been seeing injuries lately, I would activate him and let him see the field on Sunday.  I will be a very short week afterwards so You never know who will be knicked up.  

McDougle and Skrine are both banged up, and no matter what Cro says, he's definitely not healthy. Just not sure who they'd cut to get a 7th CB on the roster.

Archived