Dee Milliner

deucebag

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll help if you stop thinking it as if the other CBs are being supplanted and more that they just aren't that good, besides maybe some spot-duty here and there. Milliner was #4 on the CB depth chart during pre-season and I see no reason to believe he won't jump back to that before season's end. I don't get why people want to see this kid fail, he has more potential than any DB on this roster not named Revis, you'd think we'd be hoping that he stays healthy and sees the field instead of hoping we're right so some scrub UDFA can get some burn and bragging rights.

I hope he gets a shot, but based on what we've seen of him in 2013 and partial 2014, he didn't exactly inspire that he'd be any better than the guys who are healthy and playing this year. It'd be ideal if he could step in opposite Revis eventually but I have more faith in Williams and Walls than Milliner. I don't care where they were drafted or not. The better players should play. 

Milliner has more physical ability than every dback on the roster except Revis and Cro, he's going to be getting significant burn before the season's over.  Could be wrong, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Had.  He's not going to be nearly as athletic after an achilles injury.  His ceiling is a lot lower now.

Had.  He's not going to be nearly as athletic after an achilles injury.  His ceiling is a lot lower now.

Achilles injuries aren't what they used to be. Demeryius Thomas came back at an elite athletic level, Leon Hall came back at a high level...  And he was already back this preseason, it's his wrist that's caused him to miss time anyway. 

I enjoy watching the defense these days. If milliner comes back and plays on Sundays, that would change. I have NEVER felt confident with Dee Milliner on the field. 

I feel the same way, lets see if bowles can fix him.  he has a proto-type body type and talent for a corner

Milliner has more physical ability than every dback on the roster except Revis and Cro, he's going to be getting significant burn before the season's over.  Could be wrong, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

he's gonna get burned alright

then we can move on

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/nick_mangold_calvin_pryor_bilal_powell_jets-oaklan.html

CB Dee Milliner: He is fully recovered from wrist surgery that landed him on short-term injured reserve to begin the season. "I think he's ready to play when he's eligible," Bowles said of the former first-round draft pick. "We've just got to see if we've got room [on the active roster]." According to NFL rules, Milliner was eligible to practice after Week 6. And that's when he indeed returned to practice. He isn't eligible to play until after Week 8 (this week). So Milliner could be activated as soon as Monday, for the Jets' Week 9 home game against the Jaguars. But it's not a sure thing yet that Milliner will be added to the active roster next week, after the Jets return from Oakland. 

I would not want to be a fringe DB who gets hurt this week. Probably wind up on the IR

I hope he gets a shot, but based on what we've seen of him in 2013 and partial 2014, he didn't exactly inspire that he'd be any better than the guys who are healthy and playing this year. It'd be ideal if he could step in opposite Revis eventually but I have more faith in Williams and Walls than Milliner. I don't care where they were drafted or not. The better players should play. 

Except for that last month of his rookie year, but I guess your not counting that?    If he can stay healthy, and thats a big if, he will get playing time and next year he will be starting accross from Revis.

Except for that last month of his rookie year, but I guess your not counting that?    If he can stay healthy, and thats a big if, he will get playing time and next year he will be starting accross from Revis.

Was two years and two injuries ago. Seriously? He was routinely outplayed by Walls in 2013. We have no idea what he's going to come back looking like at all. He has a ton to prove. And I don't think he's any better than Skrine, Williams, Walls or McDougle. More talent? Sure. That doesn't matter. The Jets are playing to win now. 

I like Dex's potential to contribute to this D but coming into this season what has he proven you?  To anyone? He had  good half of a preseason game followed up with a bad preseason showing and a season long injury.  What has Wall shown?  Which of the 3 was a defensive rookie of a month?  

I like Dex's potential to contribute to this D but coming into this season what has he proven you?  To anyone? He had  good half of a preseason game followed up with a bad preseason showing and a season long injury.  What has Wall shown?  Which of the 3 was a defensive rookie of a month?  

Walls has outplayed Milliner for the last two years. Rex routinely put Walls in over Milliner. Defensive rookie of the month 2 years ago means jack and squat. Milliner will struggle to make the 46. Just don't see it with all of the injuries to other positions. 

Other than he has never struggled to find a spot on the 53 man roster you might have a point.

Of course, you don't.

I'm pretty sure he was responding to Bowles' actual comment which said.  "We've just got to see if we've got room [on the active roster]."

Walls has outplayed Milliner for the last two years. Rex routinely put Walls in over Milliner. Defensive rookie of the month 2 years ago means jack and squat. Milliner will struggle to make the 46. Just don't see it with all of the injuries to other positions. 

so they put him on short term IR, yet when he's ready, they will cut him in favor of walls ?

cutting milliner results is a $2.4 mm dollar dead money hit, yet walls has no dead money if cut

I hope walls is renting, lol

they may keep both corners and cut a LB or something, but if they have to choose between walls and milliner its really an easy call

Walls has not outplayed Milliner, you can believe he has but its not true.  Rex, routinely put Milliner in over Walls, named him a played him as the starter even while Walls had the experience advantage.  Walls only played over Milliner when Milliner was hurt, which was all too often, agreed.  Youre telling us over and over again that he sucks, is a bust.  Off of what you think you saw 2 years ago and then on the other hand tell us that when he was defensive rookie of the month it was also two years ago and for that reason it means squat.  If Milliner struggles to make the 46 it will be if he's injured.  This is a HC who covets corners and he's going to be given an opportunity to show what he can do.  He has the physical tools and talent to be a starter on this team if he can stay healthy.  He'll be given the opportunity to prove it as soon as he's healthy enough to contribute. 

Outside of his injury history this is eerily similar to the Pryor sucks hes a bust talk from a year ago

Why are you guys acting like Milliner is Gholston? The dude has played at a very high level at times. His issue is injuries. 

He has two issues. One is injuries. The other is that he sucks. How quickly we forget that he was benched multiple times because of poor performance. 

He was the first of your boy Idzik's myriad of f*ck-ups.

Walls has not outplayed Milliner, you can believe he has but its not true.  Rex, routinely put Milliner in over Walls, named him a played him as the starter even while Walls had the experience advantage.  Walls only played over Milliner when Milliner was hurt, which was all too often, agreed.  Youre telling us over and over again that he sucks, is a bust.  Off of what you think you saw 2 years ago and then on the other hand tell us that when he was defensive rookie of the month it was also two years ago and for that reason it means squat.  If Milliner struggles to make the 46 it will be if he's injured.  This is a HC who covets corners and he's going to be given an opportunity to show what he can do.  He has the physical tools and talent to be a starter on this team if he can stay healthy.  He'll be given the opportunity to prove it as soon as he's healthy enough to contribute. 

Outside of his injury history this is eerily similar to the Pryor sucks hes a bust talk from a year ago

Dee Milliner had a few decent games in ocean of truly terrible play.  Setting aside the legitimate durability concerns which have followed him from college, people somehow seem to take those 3-4 games as evidence that all of the other very bad play had never happened.  His full record such as exists is bad.

Milliner was our first round pick and he would have to be outplaying someone to the downside by a significant margin in order to get himself benched on a team with CB depth issues.  The GM wanted to keep his job too and Milliner had many of the hallmarks of a classic bust.  The fact that he did play so badly that he did finally get get himself benched in favor of Walls is evidence of just how much he was stinking up the position.

And then you have the fact that he is made of glass.

The GM is gone and the HC is also gone.  The only protection from up above is the amount of cap money we have invested in him.  Last chance for Dee Milliner I think.

He has two issues. One is injuries. The other is that he sucks. How quickly we forget that he was benched multiple times because of poor performance. 

He was the first of your boy Idzik's myriad of f*ck-ups.

Calvin Pryor was the worst player in the league last year. 

Calvin Pryor was the worst player in the league last year. 

Pryor was pretty bad and he is better this year.

Is it your thought that we have a similar turnaround situation in Milliner?

Here's another question.  If that draft were done over again today would Milliner even get drafted and if so, where?  OK, so that is two questions.

Milliner is better than Walls end of discussion.

Based on talent? Sure. Based on actual football production and performance? No.

Who are you giving him playing time over? Cro? Skrine? Look at the reps. The backup corners get little run unless there is an injury. Milliner is too fragile to play special teams, so he's at a distinct disadvantage.

cutting milliner results is a $2.4 mm dollar dead money hit, yet walls has no dead money if cut

I hope walls is renting, lol

they may keep both corners and cut a LB or something, but if they have to choose between walls and milliner its really an easy call

Walls is the primary backup safety this weekend and one of the better special teams players. He isn't getting cut. It's not as easy a call as you think. You cut Darrin Walls and he's starting for another team the next day. 

Based on talent? Sure. Based on actual football production and performance? No.

Who are you giving him playing time over? Cro? Skrine? Look at the reps. The backup corners get little run unless there is an injury. Milliner is too fragile to play special teams, so he's at a distinct disadvantage.

Walls is the primary backup safety this weekend and one of the better special teams players. He isn't getting cut. It's not as easy a call as you think. You cut Darrin Walls and he's starting for another team the next day. 

Well we did use our one and only 8 week IR designation on him...so that kind of blows your argument. 

Nice try Mrs Walls.

Doesn't sound like Bowles is gonna throw Milliner into a major role right off the bat here.  He needs to prove he's better than Walls, McDougle, and Marcus Williams first.

However, for 2016, since Cro has no guaranteed money on his contract after this year, they can always cut him to save money and have a new starter on the outside opposite Revis.  I'd imagine Milliner would compete for that spot.

Milliner was starting to put it together before he went down. Hes injury prone, but he is coming back. The chances that he outplays Walls or McDookie are high. I don't understand why no one wants to give the man a chance. Being healthy and learning from the greatest corner ever can only make him better. I like Cro, but he isn't going to be here long. Milliner is a big, athletic corner. Give him a chance.

Milliner was starting to put it together before he went down. Hes injury prone, but he is coming back. The chances that he outplays Walls or McDookie are high. I don't understand why no one wants to give the man a chance. Being healthy and learning from the greatest corner ever can only make him better. I like Cro, but he isn't going to be here long. Milliner is a big, athletic corner. Give him a chance.

i don't think anyone is saying to not give him a chance.  What I am saying is that he is running out of chances at this point and the group of people (GM and HC) who might be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in the past are no longer with the team.

i don't think anyone is saying to not give him a chance.  What I am saying is that he is running out of chances at this point and the group of people (GM and HC) who might be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in the past are no longer with the team.

I am reading a lot of 'trade him' talk and about him being a bum. Thats not giving him a chance. I hear what you're saying, and don't think your far off. But if giving a shot, he will outplay Walls. I am excited to see what Milliner does. 

I am reading a lot of 'trade him' talk and about him being a bum. Thats not giving him a chance. I hear what you're saying, and don't think your far off. But if giving a shot, he will outplay Walls. I am excited to see what Milliner does. 

Given what shot? There are no game day reps for CBs not named Cro, Revis or Skrine. Williams and McDougle have gotten very limited playing time when Skrine got hurt and Cro went down.  They're mostly healthy. The only playing time to be had is on special teams, which is not something Milliner should be doing. Unless Milliner has been training and practicing as a safety, there is no use or need for him right now. 

Archived