Fitzpatrick to start

InstantClassic

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid move by the Jets, but what does anyone expect?  I guess this closes the book on Geno and we need to look at Petty because the Jets coaching staff would rather trot the limited JAG out there instead of see what the 3rd year talented guy can do in a new scheme with better coaching and skill players. Should have just trade him. Stupid, "only the next game matters" like this are what keeps crappy organizations like ours crappy. Not that come Sunday I will not root for Fitz, but just a dumb move. 

Sometimes I think the dog in your avatar is the one posting. 

I too would like to see Geno get the practice reps and the start on Sunday. For a backup coming in cold in a game where the defense was phoning it in, I thought he did okay.

Yet, as everyone else has said those two plays open up a huge can of worms about his thought process, or lack of one.

You just can't have that out of a third year guy in such a crucial role.

If he does get another opportunity to start and we continue to see these same fundamental mistakes, even I as a supporter would have to draw the conclusion that it's time to move on.

At least Geno did show he can run the offense (2 TDs to only 1 INT)

Eh, I'm not putting too much stock in his final numbers. Taking a sack to make it 3rd and 21 is about as bad as throwing an INT in that situation. I don't care how many reps he didn't get. 

Padded stats when the Raiders backed off with a multi-score lead. When the 4th quarter came around, and our D gave him opportunities to drive and score, he melted down. Nothing about Sunday's showing demonstrated any growth as a QB. We already knew he could move the ball at times. It's the untimely meltdowns that deflate the team and stifle opportunities to change momentum that define him.

Otherwise, the rest of what you said is a very fair post.

Stupid move by the Jets, but what does anyone expect?  I guess this closes the book on Geno and we need to look at Petty because the Jets coaching staff would rather trot the limited JAG out there instead of see what the 3rd year talented guy can do in a new scheme with better coaching and skill players. Should have just trade him. Stupid, "only the next game matters" like this are what keeps crappy organizations like ours crappy. Not that come Sunday I will not root for Fitz, but just a dumb move. 

lmfao... can't tell if trolling, or really this delusional.

I can't lie. A huge sense of relief overcame me when I read the headline: "Fitzpatrick to Start," I mean, Sunday now doesn't seem as possibly aggravating to watch live as it would be with #7 getting the start.  

Bless you Fitzy for damning your left hand's long-term ability for the short-term gratification of allowing us to retain hope in the 2015 season. Thank you #14.

If our defense plays like it did last Sunday I don't care who our QB is.

There's a reason why the Jets are like 3-14 in Oakland. It's a hard ass trip.

You'd think oh whatever 6 hours in a plane bfd, but it's across 3 time zones and the body clock gets all screwed up. going east-to-west is easier than west-to-east but neither is ideal for functioning at a high level. 

Travel like that, mistakes get made. Vegas is built on the concept. It cuts the other way when teams travel to the East coast.  

No one wants to admit it but this game was more than likely a loss when they released the schedule. 

Eh, I'm not putting too much stock in his final numbers. Taking a sack to make it 3rd and 21 is about as bad as throwing an INT in that situation. I don't care how many reps he didn't get. 

Padded stats when the Raiders backed off with a multi-score lead. When the 4th quarter came around, and our D gave him opportunities to drive and score, he melted down. Nothing about Sunday's showing demonstrated any growth as a QB. We already knew he could move the ball at times. It's the untimely meltdowns that deflate the team and stifle opportunities to change momentum that define him.

Otherwise, the rest of what you said is a very fair post.

blah blah blah..  if Fitz played that game with the D playing like they were he would have had 3 picks and they win 40-10.  Don't care what you say.. I've seen him do it in Buffalo a million times.

I too would like to see Geno get the practice reps and the start on Sunday. For a backup coming in cold in a game where the defense was phoning it in, I thought he did okay.

Yet, as everyone else has said those two plays open up a huge can of worms about his thought process, or lack of one.

You just can't have that out of a third year guy in such a crucial role.

If he does get another opportunity to start and we continue to see these same fundamental mistakes, even I as a supporter would have to draw the conclusion that it's time to move on.

you don't need reps to know to throw it in the 1st row instead of going out of bounds for a 4 yard loss.  it drives me nuts.  he has no awareness. 

blah blah blah..  if Fitz played that game with the D playing like they were he would have had 3 picks and they win 40-10.  Don't care what you say.. I've seen him do it in Buffalo a million times.

this is completely irrelevant to what I said about Geno, I didn't say anything about what Fitz would have hypothetically done. Only what Geno actually did.

let's be honest.. fitz stays in the game, and it doesn't matter how the Jets D is playing.. He probably throws the same INT into double coverage that Geno did, but maybe lead us to a late TD to make the game semi-interesting. at the very least he doesn't get sacked and run out of bounds while going backwards on two roll outs

this is completely irrelevant to what I said about Geno, I didn't say anything about what Fitz would have hypothetically done. Only what Geno actually did.

What Geno actually did was play well all things considered.  You and the goon squad are too blinded by irrational hate to see it clearly.

let's be honest.. fitz stays in the game, and it doesn't matter how the Jets D is playing.. He probably throws the same INT into double coverage that Geno did, but maybe lead us to a late TD to make the game semi-interesting. at the very least he doesn't get sacked and run out of bounds while going backwards on two roll outs

I live in Rochester which is in the heart of Bills country.  I've seen this movie before.  As long as Fitz plays within himself and the game is close or he's leading he's ok - actually this year he's playing well in that situation.  Give him a 2 score deficit and the gunslinger mentality takes over and the picks come in bunches.  In order to have made it semi-interesting he would have had to throw the couple TD's that Geno did.  I'm not so sure he could have done it.  Look at the Eagles game for a similar situation he was placed in...  no running game and having to pass to get back into it.

I'm not even saying Fitz shouldn't start this weekend..  I just think there is more upside with Geno and was looking forward to seeing what he could do with a full week of reps.  Maybe the shoulder is worse than they're letting on.

When Fitz performs well:  "Geno could do it better."

When Geno performs at a 'meh' level:  "Fitz would have done much worse."

Can't make this stuff up.

I live in Rochester which is in the heart of Bills country.  I've seen this movie before.  As long as Fitz plays within himself and the game is close or he's leading he's ok - actually this year he's playing well in that situation.  Give him a 2 score deficit and the gunslinger mentality takes over and the picks come in bunches.  In order to have made it semi-interesting he would have had to throw the couple TD's that Geno did.  I'm not so sure he could have done it.  Look at the Eagles game for a similar situation he was placed in...  no running game and having to pass to get back into it.

I'm not even saying Fitz shouldn't start this weekend..  I just think there is more upside with Geno and was looking forward to seeing what he could do with a full week of reps.  Maybe the shoulder is worse than they're letting on.

You still think Mark Sanchez was a good QB and Rex Ryan is a good coach.  Your opinion forever remains invalid.

I'd love to know how hurt Geno is? If a guy like Fitz with a torn up thumb gets the start over a healthy Geno please just CUT HIM & bring in Flynn as a backup. 

He's just a cancer standing there with his mopey face on the sideline. Like others have said, if the coach has no confidence just cut the freaking cord already. They're probably worried about him getting booed at home on his 1st incompletion. Geno is toast in NY.

When did he stand on the sideline, moping and being a cancer?  And if he's not playing because the CS thinks he might get boo'd, the coaching staff needs to go.

If it's all about handling pain why didn't he finish Sunday? A torn ligament doesn't heal in 3 days. I'm sick of this team wasting time with Geno Smith. The fact that he can't beat out a broken Fitzpatrick tells me everything I need to know. I had high hopes he could turn things around. Why would we want him as a backup? This team just keeps spinning their wheels with players that add nothing to the organization. Coples & Pace are the other ones, resigning Cromarty at 7 million too? Mac needs to have a great offseason again by cutting the dead weight dragging down this team & salary cap.

Wait, all QBs who don't start should be cut because they're not better than the starting QB?  The number two can't beat out the #1 so he should go? And you had high hopes but after his emergency play you've decided he needs to go?

like I tell others, you don't like it move on to something else, I don't give a flying F*ck what you think! I'm tired of the Geno drama, the team needs to move on.

There's no Geno drama on this team, there only is from fans.  Or maybe one or two in the media.  Not from Geno, the team or Fitz.

Let is go.  Fitz was the starter, has played well and still is the starter.  How Fitz getting injured, Geno getting thrown into playing and doing a pretty good job should lead to his being released is pure fan nonsense.  Fitz being able to resume as starter is not Geno drama anywhere other than a fan board

Thank God! With Geno, the next 4 games would have been a wash.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Yea, wash the pick-up truck and the wife's car, wash the driveway and sidewalk, power-wash the aluminum siding on the house-ANYTHING to keep yourself busy and away from the TV set or radio broadcast because otherwise unless Geno is going to have one of those perfect QBR games the likelihood of watching the Jets win even HALF of those games is pretty low. It has nothing to do with some stupidly named idea like "Geno-hate" it's all about history, facts and probability factors.

Go Fitz! 

I don't think this story is over though.  Can't help but think that Bowles repeating 20 times that it's a matter of pain tolerance swayed Fitzpatrick.  Basically painted him into a corner with that.

Now coach could focus on bringing back his defense from Derptown. 

How there are Jets fans who can feel this way about Geno Smith just amazes me.  Upside.  Really.

SAR I

Yes upside.  He finished last season on a high note and was outplaying Fitz in TC.

I understand Fitz has that Rudy appeal, and guys like his facial hair, but he's just not a QB that anyone other than Jet fans think is any good.  He was worse than Geno when he was going in his 3rd year and it took him about 5-6 years to be serviceable.  Jet fans simply won't allow anyone to grow into the position so around and around we go all the while bemoaning that we're "cursed at QB".

You yourself acknowledge they didn't set Sanchez up for success..  what do you think giving Geno a hobbled Decker as the biggest star in your first 2 years as QB is?

Archived