What is up with Green Bay

shawn306

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That catch by Rogers rivals the ODB catch, considering all the circumstances it might be better.  I don't recall ever seeing a succesful hail mary where the Guy who caught the ball actually went up, in front, and over everyone and snatch the ball like he did, I mean he came from like 10 yards away to time that right, get that high, and catch the ball at the peak where nobody else on the field could have done anything about him getting it, not to mention it was coming from 70 yards away, and like a mile high.  Almost like catching a booming punt if it was spiraling, and you were not waiting for it to come down to you.

Sorry for the rant, I just think this catch should get more love, and be mentioned separate from the play it self which is also amazing as a whole.  The catch itself was godly IMO. 

Rodgers would have had to run 70 yards to win the game...there was no time left on the clock...unbelievable to decide a game on a play where the guys hand just nicked his face mask.

saying right now, Fitz doesn't get that cheap azz call! What the hell was Detroit doing? Why rush 3? Go after him so he can't scramble & plant, f*cking idiotic! It wasn't like he was on your 40 yard line. Caldwell should be fired. I can not believe that defensive call, I've seen the Pats defend those plays, BB would have already told them play heavy left to Rogers right hand, all they had to do was keep one fast LB in as a spy & delayed rush as soon as he flushed right.

This sh*t isn't rocket science. Amazing how unprepared teams are to situational football. Not only that, all of the Lions defenders were all clumped together IN THE ENDZONE , just weird, thank god it wasn't us I would have lost my sh*t!

saying right now, Fitz doesn't get that cheap azz call! What the hell was Detroit doing? Why rush 3? Go after him so he can't scramble & plant, f*cking idiotic! It wasn't like he was on your 40 yard line. Caldwell should be fired. I can not believe that defensive call, I've seen the Pats defend those plays, BB would have already told them play heavy left to Rogers right hand, all they had to do was keep one fast LB in as a spy & delayed rush as soon as he flushed right.

This sh*t isn't rocket science. Amazing how unprepared teams are to situational football. Not only that, all of the Lions defenders were all clumped together IN THE ENDZONE , just weird, thank god it wasn't us I would have lost my sh*t!

Great point about the spy thought the same thing, and also how the heck do you not have Calvin Johnson on the field for that play, he was the only person in the building that could have done anything to prevent Rogers from making that catch from where he came from, nobody who was on the field was capable of getting to that ball at the high point Rogers got to it, but if Calvin is on the field he might go up and get his hands on that ball first, or simultaneously, and Rogers possibly would have a contested battle for the ball at the point of the catch instead of a clean shot he got.

You're telling me.. sh*t i would of cried myself to sleep. that pretty much ruins they're playoff chances. they had a chance too, playing the rest of the season against under .500 teams.

Rodgers would have had to run 70 yards to win the game...there was no time left on the clock...unbelievable to decide a game on a play where the guys hand just nicked his face mask.

Yep. At least in the Baltimore/Jax game, it was a full on facemask that gave extended the game.

True, but refs missed the PI earlier.

If you mean on the Detriot CB, than yeah, I saw that. Was odd. Mike Carey was all like: "that was a good non-call, the defender is turned around, they are both playing the ball, and it reaches them at the same time." And yet, I could've sworn a nearly identical incident like that happened earlier in the game that was called, and Carey was like: "good call, it doesn't matter that the defender is turned around playing the ball, he runs right into the receiver."

<_<

For all the study, for all the coaching for all the genius of coaching in this league there are two fundamental types of plays that I will go to my grave thinking that NFL teams ALWAYS get it wrong.

1)  Bringing in extra lineman on short yardage plays.  All it does is bring more defenders into the box and almost no 1 yard gain has ever been made by a great block but many one yard stops have been made by the extra guys going into the box.

2) A three man rush while defending the hail mary.  You can stick 10 players back there in the endzone and rush 1 and the offense can still come up with the ball.  The best way to stop it is have your 6 guys back there, but put actual pressure on the QB.  Go and look back on a lot of the great hail marys of the past and one recurring themes is the QB runs around for a bit before launching the pass.  Hopefully this takes the rose of Caldwell so he gets canned with the new Det regime, I think he is an awful awful coach.

If you mean on the Detriot CB, than yeah, I saw that. Was odd. Mike Carey was all like: "that was a good non-call, the defender is turned around, they are both playing the ball, and it reaches them at the same time." And yet, I could've sworn a nearly identical incident like that happened earlier in the game that was called, and Carey was like: "good call, it doesn't matter that the defender is turned around playing the ball, he runs right into the receiver."

<_<

Carey is a bonehead who always defends the call.  I detest when they ask guys like Carey or Perrera for an opinion on a call.

For all the study, for all the coaching for all the genius of coaching in this league there are two fundamental types of plays that I will go to my grave thinking that NFL teams ALWAYS get it wrong.

1)  Bringing in extra lineman on short yardage plays.  All it does is bring more defenders into the box and almost no 1 yard gain has ever been made by a great block but many one yard stops have been made by the extra guys going into the box.

2) A three man rush while defending the hail mary.  You can stick 10 players back there in the endzone and rush 1 and the offense can still come up with the ball.  The best way to stop it is have your 6 guys back there, but put actual pressure on the QB.  Go and look back on a lot of the great hail marys of the past and one recurring themes is the QB runs around for a bit before launching the pass.  Hopefully this takes the rose of Caldwell so he gets canned with the new Det regime, I think he is an awful awful coach.

You have Calvin Johnson.   a 6'5" jumping machine.  Why was he not playing safety for that play? 

"Calvin go stand on the goal line and catch any ball thrown that way"

looked like his thumb got caught in the face mask. 

Yep, his thumb inadvertently nicked, or briefly hooked, the facemask, and you can see that he immediately tried to withdraw his hand. Albeit, there seemed to be enough force behind it twist Rodgers helmet a bit.

Still, what a sh*tty way to lose the game.

Yep, his thumb inadvertently nicked, or briefly hooked, the facemask, and you can see that he immediately tried to withdraw his hand. Albeit, there seemed to be enough force behind it twist Rodgers helmet a bit.

exactly. It was all about his body language the way he was thrown to the ground said it all.

I won't argue that the call was terrible, but that's the not the reason they lost. The reasons GB was able to win that game after being down 20-0 in order:

1) 3 man rush and no one in any receiver's faces at the LOS when the pack need to go 61 yards down field just to attempt a pass
2) Megatron wasn't out there for that hailmary? Really? I don't care if Caldwell thought it was going to be a lateral play. You coach for both situations there. Plus, he had a TO to burn after he saw them line up. Stupidity. Which brings me to my next point...
3) A deadly combination of: Caldwell is the worst coach in the NFL and has held that title at all of his stops since Wade Phillips got canned in Dallas + ARod's default mode is God-Mode
4) After the first quarter, the packers D really clamped down and allowed their O time to score points over an entire second half. 
5) Ziggy Ansah- who is having a solid career so far, completely lost contain on that 3rd down TD run by Aaron. I mean, an opposing QB ran 15-something yards for a TD untouched! Ansah's one job there was to keep contain and allow the backend of his defense to force Aaron into a bad throw to make the stop...

The game was not lost on a call in which the defender had no reason to grab high and jerk him down in the first place. What was Aaron going to do in that situation anyways? Run 70 yards against 11 defenders to score? He had no one to lateral it to. 

<_<

The last one when the DB was facing the ball but not looking should've been an INT.

I was thinking about the one before that when the DB ran into the receiver and the ball hit him in the back.

That catch by Rogers rivals the ODB catch, considering all the circumstances it might be better.  I don't recall ever seeing a succesful hail mary where the Guy who caught the ball actually went up, in front, and over everyone and snatch the ball like he did, I mean he came from like 10 yards away to time that right, get that high, and catch the ball at the peak where nobody else on the field could have done anything about him getting it, not to mention it was coming from 70 yards away, and like a mile high.  Almost like catching a booming punt if it was spiraling, and you were not waiting for it to come down to you.

Sorry for the rant, I just think this catch should get more love, and be mentioned separate from the play it self which is also amazing as a whole.  The catch itself was godly IMO. 

It wasn't a great catch when you consider he was utterly undefended and drifted to the goal line from ~5 yd line to catch the ball in front of the mass of players already in the end zone. 

Not one of the 4 DET players surrounding Randall Cobb in the end zone so much as moved in his direction.

He was able to go for the ball unhindered; you will never see an easier hail mary than that.

I won't argue that the call was terrible, but that's the not the reason they lost. The reasons GB was able to win that game after being down 20-0 in order:

1) 3 man rush and no one in any receiver's faces at the LOS when the pack need to go 61 yards down field just to attempt a pass
2) Megatron wasn't out there for that hailmary? Really? I don't care if Caldwell thought it was going to be a lateral play. You coach for both situations there. Plus, he had a TO to burn after he saw them line up. Stupidity. Which brings me to my next point...
3) A deadly combination of: Caldwell is the worst coach in the NFL and has held that title at all of his stops since Wade Phillips got canned in Dallas + ARod's default mode is God-Mode
4) After the first quarter, the packers D really clamped down and allowed their O time to score points over an entire second half. 
5) Ziggy Ansah- who is having a solid career so far, completely lost contain on that 3rd down TD run by Aaron. I mean, an opposing QB ran 15-something yards for a TD untouched! Ansah's one job there was to keep contain and allow the backend of his defense to force Aaron into a bad throw to make the stop...

The game was not lost on a call in which the defender had no reason to grab high and jerk him down in the first place. What was Aaron going to do in that situation anyways? Run 70 yards against 11 defenders to score? He had no one to lateral it to. 

Agreed. There wasn't one play, factor, or decision that lost them that game--there never truly is--but more a conglomeration of suck. But, it did all end on that one crazy, miracle play after a borderline fluke penalty, so that's obviously going to get the most attention from the fans and commentators. It's probably the one play that's going to haunt the offending Lion (I can't recall who it was) the most.

The last one when the DB was facing the ball but not looking should've been an INT.

I was thinking about the one before that when the DB ran into the receiver and the ball hit him in the back.

Ah. I don't remember that one--may have missed it. But, I'm not surprised. Refs have been especially atrocious this season.

Agreed. There wasn't one play, factor, or decision that lost them that game--there never truly is--but more a conglomeration of suck. But, it did all end on that one crazy, miracle play after a borderline fluke penalty, so that's obviously going to get the most attention from the fans and commentators. It's probably the one play that's going to haunt the offending Lion (I can't recall who it was) the most.

Giving up the 4th & 1 pass at GB 25 with Rodgers in shotgun w/ empty backfield was Detroit's undoing.

Archived