Midget Observations

KRL

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The narrative tomorrow is going to be about coughlin and how the Giants "gave" the game to the Jets. The media will ignore the fact that the Jets had statistically dominated pretty much the entire game, and had therefore "gave" the Giants the game that they gave back to us. Just like the Giants - Cowboys game earlier this year -- I was hearing for months about how the Giants "should" have won that game, but nothing about how they were totally lucky to be in position to win it due to boneheaded Cowboys play calling. The Jets earned this game -- Coughlin's idiocy only made up for the idiocy of the Jets letting Beckham run free for a 70 yard touchdown, and lame specials.

Sorry stats dont win games. Coughlin gave game away. While Jets outplayed the Gmen for most of game. It is what you do with time and score points. This should be obvious. Fitz did outplay Eli, but that doesnt negate the stupidity of Tom Coughlin.

that's great he's headed to a mediocre caterer 

btw I was a huge DGB guy before the draft

Have you considered the possibility that we were both right?  I am starting to.  Still think Jameis' group of Doug,  Evans, and Jax is miles better than what Marcus has.  Marcus even had a coaching change.

I wasn't a fan of DGB btw.

Fitz and the offense just gutted this one out.  Props to them.  They figured out the pass protection towards the end of the game and the offense clicked from there.  Marshall and Decker both played like they wanted it, and I absolutely love it.  This really is a powerful WR duo when they are both playing to their potential.  It was bad for 3 quarters, unwatchable really, especially on O-line.  For all the defensive coverage breakdowns, bad penalties, and poor special teams, the fact that Fitz was able to win a game where they gave up a special teams TD and the running back lost a fumble inside their own 20 is impressive.  Fitz is a gamer and seems to play his best ball when it's all on the line.  And he seems to be learning to slide a little too.

Thoughts

- Nice not to be "teased" for once by this team.  They showed fight
and completed the comeback with the win.  Very impressive to be down
10 with six minutes left and to come all the way back

- When was the last time we had three almost 100 yard receivers in one
game (Marshall, Decker & Powell)

- Typical Midget game, great "stats" and highlights produced by Beckham
and they lose

- What a dumb decision by Coughlin not to kick the FG and go up by two
TD's with eight minutes left.  You've got to have a "feel" for the game
and the Midgets were in control.  ANY points there probably ends the 
game

- And where was Vereen???  Thank you to their staff for not using him

Good

- Powell probably had his most impactful game as a pro.  Was a beast
catching screens and exploding for yardage

- Fitzpatrick was fantastic and for the first time ever I can say he
actually lifted his team to a win

- Marshall & Decker getting back to their early season production and
making EVERY play  

- Great halftime adjustments by Gailey to neutralize the pressure the
Midgets were bringing.  He started to use his "big slot" WR to seal the
edge before going out into a route

- The defense as a whole "bent but didn't break" in the second half
and overtime and threw a shutout

- Offense really kicked it into gear on their last three drives to tie
and then win the game

- Bullock has not been noticed since taking over for Folk.  And that's the
best compliment

- Miles had good production when he replaced Pryor with a TFL & INT

- Williams was strong all day and had his first "full" sack

- Catapano being relentless in his reps and getting his first sack

- Cromartie had a good day shutting down Randle

- Props to Bowles for benching Wilkerson and holding him accountable

Bad

- The specials nearly killed us AGAIN.  Either April has to be replaced
at the end of the year or the back of the roster has to be re-stocked.
They gave up the punt return TD to Harris and almost gave up the game
losing kick return TD to Harris in OT

- Shame on Wilkerson for missing a meeting.  You're supposed to be a 
leader not Geno Smith

- OLine pass protection in the first half

- Coverage bust on Beckham's TD

- Coverage busts on Tye, he's not Gronkowski for crying out loud

- Colon' stupid unsportsmanlike penalty when he's not in uniform

- Ivory fumbling AGAIN which is happening way too often

- Going offsides on the Midgets punt which gave them a first down

Good post ...I think the Jets will make a lot of changes this offseason and maybe try to compile more draft picks to re stock the youth on the roster which can help the ST. If Westhoff wants back in football they Jets should hire him in a second. Either way April should be shown the door .. the sooner the better

Catapano really looks the part Im very excited about him maybe for once WE will have "That Guy" LOL

Good post ...I think the Jets will make a lot of changes this offseason and maybe try to compile more draft picks to re stock the youth on the roster which can help the ST. If Westhoff wants back in football they Jets should hire him in a second. Either way April should be shown the door .. the sooner the better

The OL needs to be addressed in a successful manor whether that be hitting on a guy,  or 2 in next year's draft, or spending the money on a top FA lineman who shakes loose.  They need a playmaker shifty type RB with speed to outrun the defense, TE huge issue, the LB core is not looking so hot either need outside pass rusher, Special Teams needs to be fixed ASAP,  and most importantly the Jets need to find a franchise QB, without one the rest of it doesn't matter.  Yes it's nice this team is having success, and giving the fans something to route for, and not feel embarrassed about being a Jets fan like the last few years, but for the future I don't want a 9-7, 10-6 team that has zero chance of winning the SB even thou they get in as the wild card for the playoffs, I want to be able to watch the Jets play, and know that when they line up on offense that QB can take us to a place nobody has been able to get us to since Joe Willie, and I want one for a long stretch of years not 1 year of it like we had with Favre, he could have taken us there if he doesn't get hurt, and him, and Schotty disagreed with the game plan, play calls, and overall philosophy of the offense.

It's time for the football gods to cut the Jets a break, and deliver us a QB that is special.

The OL needs to be addressed in a successful manor whether that be hitting on a guy,  or 2 in next year's draft, or spending the money on a top FA lineman who shakes loose.  They need a playmaker shifty type RB with speed to outrun the defense, TE huge issue, the LB core is not looking so hot either need outside pass rusher, Special Teams needs to be fixed ASAP,  and most importantly the Jets need to find a franchise QB, without one the rest of it doesn't matter.  Yes it's nice this team is having success, and giving the fans something to route for, and not feel embarrassed about being a Jets fan like the last few years, but for the future I don't want a 9-7, 10-6 team that has zero chance of winning the SB even thou they get in as the wild card for the playoffs, I want to be able to watch the Jets play, and know that when they line up on offense that QB can take us to a place nobody has been able to get us to since Joe Willie, and I want one for a long stretch of years not 1 year of it like we had with Favre, he could have taken us there if he doesn't get hurt, and him, and Schotty disagreed with the game plan, play calls, and overall philosophy of the offense.

It's time for the football gods to cut the Jets a break, and deliver us a QB that is special.

The way Fitz has played this year keeping him in this same offense and adding a few dynamic parts is what this team needs to do. I agree we need to sign a bad ass O-lineman and somehow get an explosive RB to add to Ivory and Powell along with a TE . I think if we had a real TE and Powell was healthy all year this team would be in much better shape right now. Fitz is getting it done and he's 32 not 38 he's never had this type of talent to work with and he's proving that maybe that's all he needed. Funny I said earlier in the year his arm would get better as the year progressed and is has by a large margin. He looks like a different QB now than he did earlier in the season. When your in a cast from a broken bone the rehab can take some time and a lot of what a QB does throwing the football comes from the lower body. The Jets just need to add to this offense and not mess much with whats going on. Most people wonder why QB's like Brady and Manning and Brees and Rodgers are able to succeed every year by adding a player here and a player there and the answer is simple its because they are always in the same system so its easy to add a new part and that's the key its all about scheme and fine tuning that scheme.

Why? Westhoff's last few years were awful too. The Jets special teams have been bad for a while. It all harkens back to poor drafting in rounds 3-7. That's where STs players can come from. Jets strike out there more than not. 

rounds 2-7

?

The way Fitz has played this year keeping him in this same offense and adding a few dynamic parts is what this team needs to do. I agree we need to sign a bad ass O-lineman and somehow get an explosive RB to add to Ivory and Powell along with a TE . I think if we had a real TE and Powell was healthy all year this team would be in much better shape right now. Fitz is getting it done and he's 32 not 38 he's never had this type of talent to work with and he's proving that maybe that's all he needed. Funny I said earlier in the year his arm would get better as the year progressed and is has by a large margin. He looks like a different QB now than he did earlier in the season. When your in a cast from a broken bone the rehab can take some time and a lot of what a QB does throwing the football comes from the lower body. The Jets just need to add to this offense and not mess much with whats going on. Most people wonder why QB's like Brady and Manning and Brees and Rodgers are able to succeed every year by adding a player here and a player there and the answer is simple its because they are always in the same system so its easy to add a new part and that's the key its all about scheme and fine tuning that scheme.

Fitz played 8 minutes of gutty football this week, a good game last week, the guy is all heart, and lays it out on the line, I respect it, BUT the fact everyone is overlooking the fact these past 2 weeks just happened to come against THE worst pass D in the NFL the Giants, and a bottom 5 pass D, and a absolutely horrendous team the Dolphins, and conveniently forget against decent competition Fitz, and this team is just not good enough to anything this year, and to want Fitz long term past this season is absolutely absurd, he is a journeyman QB with the heart, and guts, but not the talent.  The heart, and guts just aren't enough against the top 10 teams/QB'S in this league, and it never will be, the Jets need to get their top 10 QB before we start discussing real chances at sustainable success.

To me, it's more accurate to say a team "gives away" a game when they outplay another team, but lose because of stupid plays or stupid decisions. But you call it whatever you want. You say Coughlin "gave" the game away -- fine. But in that case, the Jets also would have "given" the game to Giants if they had held on and won. So don't go on and on telling me about how the Giants should have won a game in which they were out played badly. The Giants lost a game they should have lost because the Jets beat them up and down the field, save for a few plays. If you want to say they "gave" it to the Jets, fine ... but they gave the Jets a game that had been given to them.

By the way, you don't need to be a dick in your responses ... but perhaps that's just your style.

To me, it's more accurate to say a team "gives away" a game when they outplay another team, but lose because of stupid plays or stupid decisions. But you call it whatever you want. You say Coughlin "gave" the game away -- fine. But in that case, the Jets also would have "given" the game to Giants if they had held on and won. So don't go on and on telling me about how the Giants should have won a game in which they were out played badly. The Giants lost a game they should have lost because the Jets beat them up and down the field, save for a few plays. If you want to say they "gave" it to the Jets, fine ... but they gave the Jets a game that had been given to them.

By the way, you don't need to be a dick in your responses ... but perhaps that's just your style.

Sorry  but I am a dick, just stating the facts. Jets shouldnt apologize for Coughlin's senility either

Great post!

This may not be the proper thread to ask this, but does anyone know what happened to Ivory during that second drive where he ran for 37 yards, including a 20 yarder that he took inside the 15 yard line, and then they took him out and put Ridley, then Powell in and it basically killed the drive right there and we settled for a field goal. Was he injured, or was that just a poor coaching decision?

My guess is we had the momentum and they are trying to keep Ivory fresh for the rest of the game/season.  Also they want to give Ridley some more snaps hoping for some spark of improvement out of him.  Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time those were my thoughts.  

Pierre-Paul was hitting our OLinemen in the head with his "club" all day.  Why wasn't

he penalized for it???  The "head slap" was outlawed years ago and the refs are 

ALWAYS calling the illegal hands to the face penalty whenever they have the chance.

Why wasn't he flagged, he must have done it at least 5 times

Agreed , seemed like that was his best move all game.  Also , not sure if this was mentioned in the gameday thread but Why wasn't Beckham looked at for a concussion when Pryor broke up that pass in the endzone. He clearly looked like he was woozy after hitting his head hard on the turf.

Sorry  but I am a dick, just stating the facts. Jets shouldnt apologize for Coughlin's senility either

Nonsense.  Jets had to score 3xs to win the game.

And you have no clue that they wouldnt have scored twice and won by a point if he kicked the FG no matter the % chance of it happening 

Agreed , seemed like that was his best move all game.  Also , not sure if this was mentioned in the gameday thread but Why wasn't Beckham looked at for a concussion when Pryor broke up that pass in the endzone. He clearly looked like he was woozy after hitting his head hard on the turf.

He may have been checked on the sideline.  

He took off his helmet in the EZ because he banged his head on the turf after Pryor hit him.  If that was the excuse for not calling a penalty for removing the helmet while on the field then how is it possible that the concussion protocol isn't in play?   

Archived