New Jets approach to rivalry with Pats : ' Why can't we be the big dogs ? ' ? ? ?

kelly

New Jets approach to rivalry with Pats : ' Why can't we be the big dogs ? '

Erin Henderson is in his seventh NFL season, but his only experience with the New York Jets-New England Patriots rivalry occurred in Week 7, a Jets loss. He's not among the Tortured 10 -- the post-2010 players who have endured eight losses in the last nine meetings with the Patriots. To Henderson, the Butt Fumble is just a play on a blooper reel.

That explains why the mild-mannered linebacker took umbrage Saturday night in Dallas when a reporter asked about the Jets' mindset as they prepare for a rematch with "the big dogs."

"We're the big dogs," Henderson shot back.

"I mean, why can't we be the big dogs?" he continued. "I don't really look at it [the same way]. This is my first year here with the Jets. I don't really have that same mentality that a lot of people may have, people that are familiar with them. I'm not familiar with them.

"To me, they're just another team. Somebody has to win. Somebody has to be the team that comes out on top. Why can't it be us? Why shouldn't it be us?"

The Jets, winners of four straight for the first time since 2010, should adopt Henderson's words as their mantra as they get ready to face the big ... er, Patriots on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The Jets need to erase their hard drive and reboot, eliminating the bad vibes from games and seasons past.For 15 years, they've been pushed around by the Patriots. In the Tom Brady era, the Jets are 7-23 against them, including the postseason. Other than one moment of glory (the 2010 playoffs) and a few feel-good wins that tricked people into believing they were closing the gap, it has been utter frustration for the Jets.Who can forget the scene at the end of a 2008 loss, when Shaun Ellis -- scarred by too many defeats -- lost his cool and flung his helmet on the field? What about Rex Ryan punching a wall before his postgame news conference last year at Gillette Stadium?

Sunday means everything for the Jets (9-5), who need two wins and some help to secure a wild-card berth. An 11-5 record, coupled with one loss by the Kansas City Chiefs or Pittsburgh Steelers or Denver Broncos, would get the Jets into the playoffs. The Patriots (12-2) already have clinched a first-round bye, but they need one win to claim the home-field advantage."We've got the G.O.A.T. coming to town, Tom Brady, so we have to be on point," said linebacker Calvin Pace, a member of the Tortured 10. "We know what type of talent he brings. That's where it's going to start, trying to affect the game and trying to disrupt him."The Jets could've -- should've? -- won the last meeting, but isn't that always the narrative? They're usually close games. Ever since the Butt Fumble in 2012, the games have been decided by three, three, two, three and seven points.

So close, yet so painful.

In Week 7, the Jets held a fourth-quarter lead, 20-16, but Brandon Marshall dropped a pass in the end zone, the defense allowed a pair of 10-play touchdown drives, and Todd Bowles made questionable clock-management decisions. And they lost, 30-23.

"We know how good they are and they're the Super Bowl champs, so we've got to clean up a lot of mistakes before we get to them," Bowles said Saturday night.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57262/a-new-jets-approach-to-rivalry-with-pats-why-cant-we-be-the-big-dogs

Well Mr. Henderson.  Lets see:

The Pats have won how many division titles?

BB and Brady have how many SB's?

The Jets last won the division, when?

3rd and 17.

The Pats are 12-2 with a first round bye.

So yeah, why arent the Jets who arent even making the postseason the big dogs? ///rollseyes

... Chandler Jones is a QB's nightmare

Usually it's New England's offense that steals the show, but on Sunday its defense took the cake. Leading the way was Jones, who had two sacks, including a strip sack returned for a TD. He now boasts 12.5 sacks this season. Week 15 game balls

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots

I like what Henderson said. In other words, "you can't be the boss until you beat the boss" and those words are true. The Jets have allowed the Pats to beat them in so many different ways but the main one is that they were outcoached. Bowles was outcoached in his first confrontation with BB and he cannot let that happen again and I don't believe he will. I think the Jets make the stand of the year on Sunday and beat the Pats 22-17. Along with a Denver loss to Cincy will propel the Jets into the postseason once they put the final nail in Rex's coffin in Buffalo.

3rd and 17.

So yeah, why arent the Jets who arent even making the postseason the big dogs? ///rollseyes

What would you have him say?

"Yeah, they are the big dogs, and we're the lil bitches?"  He didn't say anything crazy, he just said, "Why can't we be the big dogs?"

The New England Patriots, who have been ravaged by injuries at running back this season, will sign free agent Steven Jackson to a one-year deal Monday, a source told ESPN's Josina Anderson.

Jackson, 32, met with the Patriots on Wednesday and worked out with the team the following day, sources told ESPN last week. He has not played in the NFL since being released by the Atlanta Falcons in February.Jackson tweeted Monday for the first time since September, posting a photo of himself working out accompanied by the caption, "I'm back."

a7m7pbIh_normal.png Steven Jackson

@sj39

I'm back.

What would you have him say?

"Yeah, they are the big dogs, and we're the lil bitches?"  He didn't say anything crazy, he just said, "Why can't we be the big dogs?"

That they are the big dogs and its our job to knock them off.

Why cant it be us?  Because its not.  duh

You are exactly right. Some fans on here are sickening at times.

I'm sickening?  Because of that?  lmfao.  ok.

They are a team that stands in the way of our playoff aspirations.  We need to win out, so it doesn't matter if it's NE (who happens to also be a division rival) vs any other team in the NFL.  The "rivalry" is irrelevant.  If we don't win, we likely are done for the year.  Certainly a nice season and nothing to hang our heads about.  But this game has nothing to do with NE/Jets rivalry.  If we win mountains do not crumble, rivers don't cease to flow, it's a regular season game that we happen to be in a must win situation.  No need to even worry about history or rivalry in this one, I can assure you NE sure as hell isn't. 

JiF and whoever else wants to congrats the Pats,

A) The Jets can still make the Post Season, so don't act like it is a definite they won't.

B) The Pats 1st 8 years with BB were caught stealing defense signals and that overlapped with Brady for how many times/years deflating footballs which coincided with the Pats not fumbling in their own stadium like at all for how long about 3-4+ years. 

Pats, their fans, and the NFL can think and say whatever they want, but the fact remains that the now have lost multiple draft picks (twice) due to getting caught cheating and in every year they won the division and SB they either had admitted i.e BB  admitted hist 1st 8 years he taped defense signals on the field, which has always been against the rules, or were deflating the Balls not only below the rules level of 12.5 PSI (Brady admitted he liked the balls lower than that), but should not have been tampering with the Balls to begin with since that is not their right again by rules of the NFL.

So, I don't care what is said about the Pats with all this so called success since they are also the only darn NFL team that employs an individual whose sole job is to find every way around the rules to gain an advantage. What's up with that as well?. Just because this team has had all the refs throwing them every call for 15 seasons, plus all the cheating they do since they are doing rule breaking now we won't know about till years later, and of course they would win how many division titles and SBs. That fact they haven't won more SBs with all those advantages is unbelievable. Give me a pair of glasses where I can see everyone's cards in the WSOP and they can't see mine and I'd have the same advantage the Pats have had, which would have netted me 15 WSOP braclets.

3rd and 17.

Do you expect a player to say this?  Do you want players to think this? 

Don't get so pissy. I think you are too quick right us off. lmao.   ok.

I'm not righting anyone off.  The big dogs on the block are the Pats.  Fact. 

Do you expect a player to say this?  Do you want players to think this? 

I expect a player to acknowledge who the best team in their division is and yes, I want a player to think it's their job to knock them off their thrown.  Acting as if you're an equal to that team is not only lying to yourself but its a completely ignoring the truth.  Misguided perceptions typically dont lead to good results.  If Henderson thinks the Jets are the big dogs, then he's very misguided.

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

An early look at the Jets' injury situation as they start to get ready for the Patriots: LB David Harris (back contusion) is day-to-day, per Todd Bowles. Harris had an X-ray (negative), not an MRI. TE Kellen Davis (back) and CB Dee Milliner (hamstring) are also day-to-day. DE Mo Wilkerson, who missed a few snaps Saturday night due to a head injury, is not in the concussion protocol. Injury-wise, the Jets are in better shape than the Pats.

> http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The Jets probably need to win out to make the playoffs, leaving themselves with a big test this Sunday when the Patriots come to New Jersey for the second meeting of the year between the two AFC East clubs.As has been his habit all season, Bowles didn’t follow his predecessor on the Jets sideline in building up the matchup to epic levels. He said the Jets’ positioning in the AFC means it would be a big game no matter the opponent and shrugged at the idea of calling this the biggest game of his head coaching career by saying it’s only “the biggest game this week.”

He also answered a question about differences in his team since they lost to the Patriots 30-23 in Week Seven after watching a 20-16 fourth quarter lead disappear thanks to two late New England touchdowns.

“I hope we are [different]. We’ve grown some,” Bowles said during his press conference. “You have to play the game on Sunday to find that out. We’ve matured a little bit, so hopefully we’ve got some wins behind us and we’re just going to keep trying to get better. … We’ve executed. We’ve played with a little more poise than we played with, even though we made some mistakes last game. We’re learning how to finish and I think we’ve learned in two games how to finish from the ones we failed with [in] the middle of the season and we’re on our way just getting better each week.”

Winning the last two games — the Jets close with a trip to Buffalo — wouldn’t guarantee the Jets a playoff spot, which isn’t ideal but should make it easier to concentrate only on the things that they can control because scoreboard watching is a waste of time without a victory.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/22/todd-bowles-weve-grown-some-since-first-patriots-game/

Belichick: Resting players something we have to “give some thought”

The 2015 Patriots season has been marked by plenty of wins and plenty of injuries and things played out according to form against the Titans on Sunday.The Patriots won the game 33-16 and they saw some key players leave with injuries. Neither linebacker Dont’a Hightower nor wide receiver Danny Amendola finished the game due to knee injuries, which may be even more of a concern with both already missing time this year with problems in that area. Wide receiver Julian Edelman, linebacker Jonathan Freeny, tight end Scott Chandler and safety Devin McCourty didn’t play at all after dealing with injuries during the week.

On Monday, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked about the possibility of resting players in the next two weeks with a first round bye already wrapped up and several key players already lost for the season to injuries. He said that there needs to be a balance with trying to win, but that it’s something the team has to think about doing in order to be as close to full strength as possible for the postseason.“We’ll just have to do the best that we can to balance all those things out,” Belichick said via a transcript distributed by the team. “That’s something we’ll have to give some thought to and get as much information as possible because there are some guys that are in various states of physical health. We’ll have to work our way through all that. It’s definitely a challenging situation. I wish I had a cleaner answer on it, but really we’re just going to have to work it out.”

The Patriots rested several players in a Week 17 loss to the Bills last year, including Edelman, Hightower, Rob Gronkowski and Sebastian Vollmer. Things worked out pretty well for them in the postseason, which may make that approach a guide for what to expect this time around.

>   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/21/belichick-resting-players-something-we-have-to-think-about/

I expect a player to acknowledge who the best team in their division is and yes, I want a player to think it's their job to knock them off their thrown.  Acting as if you're an equal to that team is not only lying to yourself but its a completely ignoring the truth.  Misguided perceptions typically dont lead to good results.  If Henderson thinks the Jets are the big dogs, then he's very misguided.

Actually I thought you were making the point that the players should know they couldn't win, it was all over.

That second was their destiny, that the Pats never lose.

Essentially you wanted the team to be made up of SOJFs

Actually I thought you were making the point that the players should know they couldn't win, it was all over.

That second was their destiny, that the Pats never lose.

Essentially you wanted the team to be made up of SOJFs

If thats what you take from me recognizing that one team has dominated the division for 15 years (and still are) so that's why the Jets arent the big dogs. Cool.

lmfao - bunch of weirdos around here.

My issue was that you said we lost this game before it was played. That, to me, is writing us off. I wasn't talking about the big dog stuff.

If thats what you take from me recognizing that one team has dominated the division for 15 years (and still are) so that's why the Jets arent the big dogs. Cool.

lmfao - bunch of weirdos around here.

I get that they've dominated.  Has to change eventually, right?  Lol, this can't be all there is.

My issue was that you said we lost this game before it was played. That, to me, is writing us off. I wasn't talking about the big dog stuff.

Huh?  I never said that.

I get that they've dominated.  Has to change eventually, right?  Lol, this can't be all there is.

Of course it has to change eventually but acting like we are on the same level as the Pats who just locked up home field advantage is just silly.

The New England Patriots, who have been ravaged by injuries at running back this season, will sign free agent Steven Jackson to a one-year deal Monday, a source told ESPN's Josina Anderson.

Jackson, 32, met with the Patriots on Wednesday and worked out with the team the following day, sources told ESPN last week. He has not played in the NFL since being released by the Atlanta Falcons in February.Jackson tweeted Monday for the first time since September, posting a photo of himself working out accompanied by the caption, "I'm back."

a7m7pbIh_normal.png Steven Jackson

@sj39

I'm back.

He can't be any worse than Stevan Ridley; one of Macs few "misses" along with Devier Posey.. 

Huh?  I never said that.

Of course it has to change eventually but acting like we are on the same level as the Pats who just locked up home field advantage is just silly.

Right now yes.  But they shouldn't feel they're unbeatable.  

Archived