Rex and Whaley get another year

Larz

Maybe they're waiting till he has a real QB  

This is probably the case, and a good idea. I mean, ever since Rex became a HC in this league, all he has done is try his absolute hardest to get and develop a good QB in this league, he has just been plagued with incompetence around him.

I am certain that in every draft and FA period, he was telling the GM's that he does not need any more defensive talent, because he is such a good defensive mind that he can create a competent defense with average or even below average talent, and was begging for offensive players and QB's in the draft and FA, so that he could have a really good QB and offense for once. But these damn GM's just keep ignoring his wishes and getting more and more defense for Rex, which he does not need.

Its just a shame that every GM, OC, player, and fan has been against Rex from day one.

Funny thing is, Taylor is actually a pretty good QB, and showed a lot for a first year starter. So maybe Rex's luck is turning and no matter how hard the White man (or the Black man, or Asian man, or any other man) is trying to keep him down, his genius is going to overcome.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing is, when all things were equal, the Bills were a better team than the Jets IN New York. 

Since then, they've had 10+ injured starters that will not be able to suit up in Week 17.

How many starters are the Jets missing?

As if you guys needed your opponents to give you another break.

You guys act like Jets are playing with the same players as 2014 too. 

You think Bowles would be in position to make the playoffs with Geno Smith at QB? Without Brandon Marshall? Without the improved D line? Without Chan Gailey? On and on it goes...

Nobody in the NFL would be winning with Geno at QB, I'm surprised you blame Rex for that.

At the very least you should appreciate Rex for what he did in New York when he had talent to work with as well. Why did he last 5 years as HC? Because he took you from cellar to playoffs the first couple of seasons when he had a halfway decent roster and he still did it with MARK SANCHEZ. The next 3 years? No coach in the NFL would have been able to succeed with that team.

And before you tell me "well Rex had talent in Buffalo" let's be clear, talented players mean nothing if you can't put them on the field on Sunday.

Your new GM is the reason this team is winning now moreso than anything else.

LUCK has been a major factor in your run this season, you must admit.

Believe me, things would be different if the Bills weren't decimated with injuries this season. That's what you should be thankful for more than anything else.

Pure genius, I am glad there are still some people out there that are willing to see through everyone on the planet trying to sabotage poor Rex, and are willing to tell the truth as it needs to be said. Thank you sir, and I hope you can continue to shed your genius on the rest of us with more of these types of posts.

Injuries can effect a season, but there are other signs of problems in Buffalo.  You cannot be a winning team in this league with double digit penalties all of the time.  These penalties show a lack of discipline. Disipline also effects holding your lanes, etc.  This is why, IMO, a Rex defense is always good for one stupid TD and one killed drive per game. 

The other problem, is that he makes games super bowls.  His motivation is great, but then the team either cannot put together 3+ win streaks, or when they loose a super bowl the game is lost.  Most importantly, sometimes you only play a half of a game - this is what killed us in both AFC championship games.

I have no doubt that had they not had some of their injuries, they would have faired better, but not sure he can win the big game.

It's almost as if Rex slips the word "injuries!" into every quote he makes for the past three months and every in-denial sh*tbird embarrassed by their pro-Rex posting history starts saying "injuries!" too. Funny how that works. It's almost as funny as forgetting that McCoy hurt his hamstring in pre-season but Rex ran him ragged the first two weeks anyway in an attempt to beat New England. Almost as funny as anointing a 6'1" scrambling QB and then acting surprised when he blows his knees out. ALMOST AS FUNNY as ignoring the near-historic penalty numbers, the mutiny on defense, the collapse of the defense statistically, and the constant stream of players quotes talking about a lack of discipline and leadership. BUT NOT NEARLY AS FUNNY AS those "injuries!" people willfully ignoring the fact that those same issues are Rex Ryan staples since he lost Mangini's Boy Scouts nearly a decade ago.

CHARISMA! BOYITELLYA!

Rex's job was never in jeopardy up there. He was hired directly by the owner, and that owner would have to pay him $20+M to do nothing if he fired him. No, he'll give it at least another year before he pulls the plug. Whaley may've been somewhat on the hot seat, but otherwise this is a non-story. 

It's just weird to see both guys coming back. You'd figure a little blood would get spilled to appease the fan base. Maybe they bounce the OC in two weeks and pretend to go hard after Brees.

It's just weird to see both guys coming back. You'd figure a little blood would get spilled to appease the fan base. Maybe they bounce the OC in two weeks and pretend to go hard after Brees.

I imagine that both men are pleading INJURIES! to the owner twice as much as they plead it to the press. Knocking the Jets out of the playoffs would be a little fan base appeasement, and I'm sure they're working extra hard to finish the season on a high note, and take some of that pressure off of themselves. 

Love me some Rex, but really lost all faith in him when he reconstructed his staff in Buffalo. What the hell does he see in Sanjay Lal? Wonder if he'll try to bring back Pettine if he gets fired in Cleveland... ? There will have to be some shake-ups on that staff at the very least, and the fans are more upset about the defense than the offense. 

This was discussed on another thread, but sometimes you have to have some patience to give a new FO pair time to work together.  I think they will need to make a change at some point, but you will never have a sustainable team if you make grand changes every year.

I imagine that both men are pleading INJURIES! to the owner twice as much as they plead it to the press. Knocking the Jets out of the playoffs would be a little fan base appeasement, and I'm sure they're working extra hard to finish the season on a high note, and take some of that pressure off of themselves. 

Love me some Rex, but really lost all faith in him when he reconstructed his staff in Buffalo. What the hell does he see in Sanjay Lal? Wonder if he'll try to bring back Pettine if he gets fired in Cleveland... ? There will have to be some shake-ups on that staff at the very least, and the fans are more upset about the defense than the offense. 

Ima sure Thurmond will be sacrifiical lamb among others

give him Aaron Rodgers, no injuries, a last place schedule, positive coverage in the local press, and a less punitive penalty system and a REAL OC and bring Jim Schwartz back to run the defense and look out! 

He would contend for 2nd or 3rd place every year 

If the bills don't make the playoffs next year Rex will be a DC somewhere in 2017.

the biggest misconception in football is that tex is a good defensive coach.  Hes actially a horrible defensive coach.  The only diff btwn rob and rex is that rex was lucky to have ray lewis and ed reed in their primes.

rex will be in the monday night football booth w/ gruden and tirico in 2017 where he belongs.

give him Aaron Rodgers, no injuries, a last place schedule, positive coverage in the local press, and a less punitive penalty system and a REAL OC and bring Jim Schwartz back to run the defense and look out! 

Sure, most teams would take Aaron Rodgers; didn't he choose the OC? press coverage only effects some HCs; other teams have players who are suspended; no injuries - yeah lots of teams get away with that - really?

As far as the schedule is concerned weren't like 14 of the 16 games the same?  Part of the schedule weakness has to do with the fact he had to play us a 10+ team twice, while we get to play an 8+ loss team twice.  So, some of that is the nature if building a better team.

You want him to have another year, cool.  But, why should he be gifted with a top 10 QB (aren't we paying enough for the Pats doing that), no injuries, blah? Good coaches need to win in the real world where players get hurt and only 5 teams have top 5 QBs.

Also, funny you talk about QB and OC, it isn't like offense is there problem.

Sure, most teams would take Aaron Rodgers; didn't he choose the OC? press coverage only effects some HCs; other teams have players who are suspended; no injuries - yeah lots of teams get away with that - really?

As far as the schedule is concerned weren't like 14 of the 16 games the same?  Part of the schedule weakness has to do with the fact he had to play us a 10+ team twice, while we get to play an 8+ loss team twice.  So, some of that is the nature if building a better team.

You want him to have another year, cool.  But, why should he be gifted with a top 10 QB (aren't we paying enough for the Pats doing that), no injuries, blah? Good coaches need to win in the real world where players get hurt and only 5 teams have top 5 QBs.

Also, funny you talk about QB and OC, it isn't like offense is there problem.

His post kind of flew way over your head.

the biggest misconception in football is that tex is a good defensive coach.  Hes actially a horrible defensive coach.  The only diff btwn rob and rex is that rex was lucky to have ray lewis and ed reed in their primes.

rex will be in the monday night football booth w/ gruden and tirico in 2017 where he belongs.

He's been a good DC everywhere he's coached. 

Being a full time DC is a lot different than a HC who has major input in the D.  He's a lot of things and fails at a lot but he can coach D when he's been charged with that.

I'll give you Taylor and McCoy. Really. I agree that it was ridiculous to rush McCoy back onto the field instead of letting him fully recover from his hamstring injury, an injury that is known to linger. And I've always been against the scrambling QB because no matter how good they are, they will alwyas be a huge injury risk that can throw off an entire season. But that's two injuries. What about the other 3 RB's that got hurt before the season started? What about Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, Nigel Bradham, Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Charles Clay, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods.  Need more?  None of them are available. And those are the key players on the Bills. We're pretty much just left with Tyrod and Sammy at this point (and they've both missed games too)

The biggest irony I find when reading your message board is all the tough talk going on. It's as if Rex Ryan never left. God knows that's the one thing that kills me about Rex. I do wish he'd keep his mouth shut instead of fueling opponents, but it's quite obvious the spirit of Rex Ryan never left the Jets fans. While you are probably right to expect a win against the Bills, I would still like to remind you of something that you already know, that it was Rex Ryan who came up with the recipe that shut down Ryan Fitzpatrick & Chan Gailey's spread offense when they got off to that hot 5-1 or 5-2 start in Buffalo and Fitz "earned" a contract because he made a living off quick slants and db's giving cushions in coverage to the spread offense (stupid) but as soon as Rex came up with the blueprint to force Fitz to beat teams with his ARM (which was based on press coverage) the lack of arm strength became painfully apparent, and Fitz was exposed for the limitations that he will always have and can do nothing about, I'm afraid.  

Now, the Jets have a heck of a lot more talent around Fitz than that Bills team did, and a great defense to bail him out at times, but mark my words, when your season ends, this board will be cursing Fitz left and right, probably just like it was doing after the Thursday Night Football game because it's inevitable that sooner or later he's going to have to get past a properly executed press coverage defense and he simply can't do it. 

Rex Ryan used that same defense against Fitz & Gailey in the Thursday night game and you all saw how it worked out. Once again it was your defense that kept you in that game and likewise our relatively healthy defense combined with our running attack kept us in the game. 

You can't tell me with a straight face that it isn't a huge break for the Jets not to have to worry about all those players I mentioned in the first paragraph.  Because if so, then you might as well be telling me that you wish they were out there.  You can't tell me that you aren't the least bit relieved about all these injuries and how they quite obviously benefit your chances on Sunday. 

It would be like saying the Patriots were not significantly impacted when Gronk & Edelman were hurt.

I understand injuries are a part of the game but injuries mostly come down to good/bad luck and if your team is relatively healthy down the stretch it is going to have a natural advantage in this league. On the other hand, if your roster is decimated with injuries, that's nothing you can realistically blame on your head coach.  If anything you might have an argument to put that on strength & conditioning but that's about it. It's like asking your HC to win with a pre-season lineup.

As they stand now, the Bills have NO BUSINESS being in this game at all, it's just a total mismatch, but if they make it a game, you'd better believe it's because of Rex Ryan and his history of perfectly executed game plans against Chan Gailey & Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Holy God you're in for so much pain and embarrassment in the next twelve months. Please don't delete your account.

I'll give you Taylor and McCoy. Really. I agree that it was ridiculous to rush McCoy back onto the field instead of letting him fully recover from his hamstring injury, an injury that is known to linger. And I've always been against the scrambling QB because no matter how good they are, they will alwyas be a huge injury risk that can throw off an entire season. But that's two injuries. What about the other 3 RB's that got hurt before the season started? What about Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, Nigel Bradham, Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Charles Clay, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods.  Need more?  None of them are available. And those are the key players on the Bills. We're pretty much just left with Tyrod and Sammy at this point (and they've both missed games too)

The biggest irony I find when reading your message board is all the tough talk going on. It's as if Rex Ryan never left. God knows that's the one thing that kills me about Rex. I do wish he'd keep his mouth shut instead of fueling opponents, but it's quite obvious the spirit of Rex Ryan never left the Jets fans. While you are probably right to expect a win against the Bills, I would still like to remind you of something that you already know, that it was Rex Ryan who came up with the recipe that shut down Ryan Fitzpatrick & Chan Gailey's spread offense when they got off to that hot 5-1 or 5-2 start in Buffalo and Fitz "earned" a contract because he made a living off quick slants and db's giving cushions in coverage to the spread offense (stupid) but as soon as Rex came up with the blueprint to force Fitz to beat teams with his ARM (which was based on press coverage) the lack of arm strength became painfully apparent, and Fitz was exposed for the limitations that he will always have and can do nothing about, I'm afraid.  

Now, the Jets have a heck of a lot more talent around Fitz than that Bills team did, and a great defense to bail him out at times, but mark my words, when your season ends, this board will be cursing Fitz left and right, probably just like it was doing after the Thursday Night Football game because it's inevitable that sooner or later he's going to have to get past a properly executed press coverage defense and he simply can't do it. 

Rex Ryan used that same defense against Fitz & Gailey in the Thursday night game and you all saw how it worked out. Once again it was your defense that kept you in that game and likewise our relatively healthy defense combined with our running attack kept us in the game. 

You can't tell me with a straight face that it isn't a huge break for the Jets not to have to worry about all those players I mentioned in the first paragraph.  Because if so, then you might as well be telling me that you wish they were out there.  You can't tell me that you aren't the least bit relieved about all these injuries and how they quite obviously benefit your chances on Sunday. 

It would be like saying the Patriots were not significantly impacted when Gronk & Edelman were hurt.

I understand injuries are a part of the game but injuries mostly come down to good/bad luck and if your team is relatively healthy down the stretch it is going to have a natural advantage in this league. On the other hand, if your roster is decimated with injuries, that's nothing you can realistically blame on your head coach.  If anything you might have an argument to put that on strength & conditioning but that's about it. It's like asking your HC to win with a pre-season lineup.

As they stand now, the Bills have NO BUSINESS being in this game at all, it's just a total mismatch, but if they make it a game, you'd better believe it's because of Rex Ryan and his history of perfectly executed game plans against Chan Gailey & Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

If you really think about it, you make some great points. Basically, Rex is the GOAT if you take the reality of the situation into account. Basically, when Rex's teams win, its because of him, not because of the talent. When Rex's teams lose, its not his fault, its because of injuries, or lack of talent, or the refs fault, or the media's fault, or my fault.

So Jets fans act like tough guys because of Rex.  But Bills fans don't? LOL, before or after the blind proclamations that the playoff drought was over, we have Rex?

Ryans defense did nothing against Fitz that Thursday night.  For all your nonsense, if our backup TE turns around and looks for the ball you lose and Fitz has another 7 on the board.  Nothing Rex did stopped the Jets offense that night.

But as Tom said, please stick around

He's about to get his 8th season as a HC. He hasn't had a winning season for 5 straight seasons. How much more evidence is needed?

No need to rush this. The Jets might have been holding him back. Give him another 12 years in Buffalo just to be safe.

"Ryans defense did nothing" so i guess Fitzpatrick's 44% completion percentage and 2 picks that night had nothing at all to do with the defense. Statistically that was Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2nd worst game of the season. Not unlike what the Jets did to the Bills when Fitz was our QB. Buuuut I'm sure that's all just coincidental. 

you so deserve Rex and everything your going to get by having him be your HC!

manish don't you have anything better to do? Shouldn't you be working ?

"Ryans defense did nothing" so i guess Fitzpatrick's 44% completion percentage and 2 picks that night had nothing at all to do with the defense. Statistically that was Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2nd worst game of the season. Not unlike what the Jets did to the Bills when Fitz was our QB. Buuuut I'm sure that's all just coincidental. 

Nothing.  Fitz had a bad night.  Rexs defense sucks.  The Bills defense sucks. 

The Jets shut down Fitz and the Bills because we had good players on D and the Bills sucked. 

The Bills have sucked for 16 years now.  Rex will save them, wait, oh forget it 

Awesome job locking up the immortal Ryan Fitzpatrick. Must have felt like holding Jordan under 20 back in the day.

Nothing.  Fitz had a bad night.  Rexs defense sucks.  The Bills defense sucks. 

The Jets shut down Fitz and the Bills because we had good players on D and the Bills sucked. 

The Bills have sucked for 16 years now.  Rex will save them, wait, oh forget it 

When was the last time the Jets beat a Bills team that has sucked for 16 years?

Archived