Now that we've all had time to sleep on it..

InstantClassic

This one stings..a lot! We had an opportunity most teams dream of, to control your own destiny to make it to the post season.obviously we came out flat, and didn't get the job done. This isn't a thread to acknowledge "yay we were so close, it was a great season!"..but let's really look big picture here.

This has been a pretty bad team the past couple years. We made MAJOR changes in the off-season. New coaches, new GM. Lots of player movement. We get exponentially better in ONE year. What was the real expectation this year? 6 wins? 8 wins? Our team set many franchise and individual record this year on offense. It was a lot of fun to watch! 

At the end of the day, the milestones don't mean anything. Again, just to be clear, I am upset we didn't finish the job yesterday despite how low our expectations are, it doesn't excuse it. We had a golden opportunity and didn't seem to want it. 

For the first time in a long time, however, I am truly confident in our front office. I think Mac was a great hire. This was a team that was supposed to be rebuilding, and won 10 games this year. I hope that Todd Bowles first year was a learning experience, because at times he made us scratch our heads. Again, it's year one. Trust the process, I think we finally have a good one and two guys to steer us in the right direction! Let's see how year two off-season plays out, hopefully we continue to build and fill out some much needed depth and also get younger at some positions. Go Jets!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly disappointing, but overall, it was a good season. Unlike what some people think, one game shouldn't define a season, unless it is the Super Bowl.

I just think they were tight and not ready for the moment. It's a lesson to grow on. And anybody who says "but they will play a real schedule next year" is full of shot because nobody knows what the teams will be like next year.

After reading this site, it is clear that Jets fans would have preferred winning 4 games again. 

That they would have preferred to never have loved at all to love and lost.

What a whiny bunch. I get being disappointed, but Jesus....

It is what it is.  If you stand back and look at this season as a whole, we beat a bunch of bad to mediocre teams.  We lost to a bunch of mediocre teams.  We all probably got too hyped for a team that wasn't that good to begin with.   

It was disappointing to be totally outplayed and coached with all on the line. We made some progress this year though in repairing the damage- have to continue to revamp the roster- get younger, faster and hit the QB jackpot. Next year schedule on paper is much more difficult at first sight

It is what it is.  If you stand back and look at this season as a whole, we beat a bunch of bad to mediocre teams.  We lost to a bunch of mediocre teams.  We all probably got too hyped for a team that wasn't that good to begin with.   

Which usually happens to Jets fans . All this team needed to be was better than last year, For the first year of this regime, that is there proper target. Now next year, the goal at the least is to make the playoffs

Here's the bottom line after sleeping on it.....Mac needs more time! At least 3 years to fix the anemic depth on this team. It all goes back to the horrible drafts the Jets had recently before he arrived.

We don't have a punt returner, we don't have a kick returner, we don't have a good gunner on special teams. Our backup plan at RB was Ridley (cheap failure for Mac), our QB needs the semblance of a running game & we had NOTHING yesterday! Ivory had that one run but his injuries were maddening & frequent. Not having Powell was probably the difference in the game, he had a hand in all 5 of our games we won in a row. We still don't have an edge rusher, our LBs are horrible in coverage. 

We needed a consistent 3rd WR & Enunwas hands are shaky, his drops yesterday were HUGE, he strolls into the endzone if he catches that shovel pass yesterday. We still need a lot of changeover.

Here's the bottom line after sleeping on it.....Mac needs more time! At least 3 years to fix the anemic depth on this team. It all goes back to the horrible drafts the Jets had recently before he arrived.

We don't have a punt returner, we don't have a kick returner, we don't have a good gunner on special teams. Our backup plan at RB was Ridley (cheap failure for Mac), our QB needs the semblance of a running game & we had NOTHING yesterday! Ivory had that one run but his injuries were maddening & frequent. Not having Powell was probably the difference in the game, he had a hand in all 5 of our games we won in a row. We still don't have an edge rusher, our LBs are horrible in coverage. 

We needed a consistent 3rd WR & Enunwas hands are shaky, his drops yesterday were HUGE, he strolls into the endzone if he catches that shovel pass yesterday. We still need a lot of changeover.

Good post.   But we were outcoached by REX.  Bowles never double teams Watkins?

We need a friggin punter too.

We need a QB!!  Sure Fitz a good year but honestly, Fitz's year was average at best for a playoff QB and the mistakes yesterday gave me a permanent reminder on why he is a journeyman backup.  

Do you honestly think Fitz will have another stretch where he throws over 10 TD 1 INT over 5 games stretch.   That will never happen again with Fitz.

This one is gonna hurt for awhile because IMHO the AFC was wide open this year. I don't care what the Chowds say.

2 Losses to the Bills

1 Loss to the Eagles and a no-show in Oakland.

There are some things about yesterday I will never understand. Where was Ivory ? Why so much zone defense against a team who's only weapon was Watkins. Greg Salas ? Really ? Revis playing maybe his worse game ever.

If ever there was SOJ moment this was it.

Sooooo much praise for Mac, really?  He made one great move - the trade for Marshall, however in the end Marshall threw Thompkins under the bus for blowing the game when in reality you cannot expect miracles in the last seconds.  Carpenter was a nice signing, but other OL upgrades and RB, special teams and LB were ignored.

I felt Mac overpaid for Revis and Cro - when there were better options out there.  The draft was once again, well...poor.  There were a lot of impact WRs available in rounds 3 and 4, yet we got a zero production Devin Smith...yes Smith - like a Santana Moss - may beef up and become more durable as the years go on, but guys like Jalen Stron or Lockett would have been much better choices.  Mauldin looks like he could become a nice player - but not the pass rushing stud we needed and what Eli Harold looks like he may be.  Williams contributed, but was never the dominant force nor had the impact a top five selection should.  We also got zero after round 3 - many teams get some contributions from later round picks.  The 2016 draft will be key to our future - we need to get at least 2 impact players and get contributions from later round picks.  

Instead of rebuilding, he refurbished, and going into 2016 we have more holes than we did going into 2015.  We need another CB, an ILB, an OLB, A NT, two OLs, Two RBs, two WRs, a TE, a KR, a PR and of course a QB.

We need a QB!!  Sure Fitz a good year but honestly, Fitz's year was average at best for a playoff QB and the mistakes yesterday gave me a permanent reminder on why he is a journeyman backup.  

Do you honestly think Fitz will have another stretch where he throws over 10 TD 1 INT over 5 games stretch.   That will never happen again with Fitz.

Thank you...you know what I know, FITZ is garbage and is exposed by the better teams.  We should say thanks for the time together and let him walk.

Good post.   But we were outcoached by REX.  Bowles never double teams Watkins?

We need a friggin punter too.

That's  a generalization based on Revis play vs Watkins. Rex was not worried about our run game, he knew with Powell out & Ivory hurting we couldn't run the ball. So, instantly our Jets were one dimensional. That aside the complete lack of execution killed us! We had 5 dropped passes, at least 2 would most likely be TDs. We missed a FG! We threw a pick in FG range that would have taken the lead!

We had a 20 yard punt out of our own endzone that led to a TD drive, Sheldon jumped offsides on a 4th down! Our Oline let our QB gets hit resulting in 2 more interceptions! Coaches coach, players play & make plays, the players flubs far outweighed Bowles coverage plan for Watkins.

That's  a generalization based on Revis play vs Watkins. Rex was not worried about our run game, he knew with Powell out & Ivory hurting we couldn't run the ball. So, instantly our Jets were one dimensional. That aside the complete lack of execution killed us! We had 5 dropped passes, at least 2 would most likely be TDs. We missed a FG! We threw a pick in FG range that would have taken the lead!

We had a 20 yard punt out of our own endzone that led to a TD drive, Sheldon jumped offsides on a 4th down! Our Oline let our QB gets hit resulting in 2 more interceptions! Coaches coach, players play & make plays, the players flubs far outweighed Bowles coverage plan for Watkins.

Fair enough but FITZ long ball is troublesome.  Down the stretch he should not throw more than 10 -12 yards IMO and the coaching game plan seemed to not have a game plan for our short comings.  But at this point...  Im over it. better season than any of us expected.

When you're right, you're right! How about adding the Bills had TOP for almost 20 minutes more than the Jets - that's 1 1/3 quarter! 

Now that I've had time to sleep on it, this is what the Jets squandered this season:

- the best offensive out put we've seen in 15 years including numerous club breaking records.

- a top 5 defense

- the easiest schedule in the NFL

- win and in scenario in the last week of the season vs. their former HC who apparently is the worst thing ever but somehow swept the Jets

- 4-1 start (78% of the NFL over the past 25 years makes the playoffs)

- the worst AFC playoff landscape possibly in the history of the conference

So this stings after some sleep.  Overall, who cares?  I dont have any control over this sh*t.  But when you look at it on paper, this was a colossal failure in pretty much the most embarrassing scenario imaginable.  haha

The Jets had 17 rushes for 122 yds Ivory had 6 carries of that for 81 yds.. The Bills had 43 for 113 yds and they were missing both their top backs after Karlos Williams went out after 6 carries.. 

Did anyone really think we would be 10-6 with Fitz, I didnt. Overall I would say it was a successful season with a rookie head coach and a back up QB.

I actually predicted 10-6 all the way back in April. Not even sure if we had Fitz or not yet, lol.

I'd go so far as to say, the team showed tremendous potential this year... but at the end of the day, they still have exorcised all demons of Jets past. The 5 game win streak was not SOJ, and was fun, but yesterday was... it was like we built all this positive equity towards outrunning SOJ, and then yesterday we came crashing back down into it, exponentially. 

That's a problem. 

Season was clearly a waste, because we didn't get to see what Geno Smith could do with talent, he was never given a fair chance after all.

Clearly, 2016 should be about finding out about Geno Smith, giving him the #1 job, and building around him.

/endsarcasm

All you guys act like beating the Bills yesterday is apart of some long multi year building process. Lets face it, we failed at beating a then 7-8 team. We didn't execute, the coach made baffaling decisions and we couldn't get it done. No excuses. The team was good enough for a wild card spot.

The Jets had 17 rushes for 122 yds Ivory had 6 carries of that for 81 yds.. The Bills had 43 for 113 yds and they were missing both their top backs after Karlos Williams went out after 6 carries.. 

Our run game was terrible! Especially on 1st down in the 1st half. Most ended with 3rd & longs, with Ridley getting zero or losing 2 yards. Ivory had that one run & I believe we missed the FG so it's like it didn't even happen, just one blip that resulted in just one forgettable series.

Season was clearly a waste, because we didn't get to see what Geno Smith could do with talent, he was never given a fair chance after all.

Clearly, 2016 should be about finding out about Geno Smith, giving him the #1 job, and building around him.

/endsarcasm

You laugh but it's not that different, dude.  We're going into the next season in the exact same position they were in last offseason.  Fitz vs. Geno vs. Petty.

We all love Fitz.  The guy is great and he's fun to root for and had an amazing season but I dont think anyone actually thinks he's the future.  So now what?  Resign Fitz and hope he can have a similar season and just keep searching?  

So basically, nothing has changed.  The Jets need a franchise QB and have a hold the fort guy who is probably good enough to keep us hanging around in the playoff picture but the truth is, the Jets a stuck in neutral with no real answers yet.  

Our run game was terrible! Especially on 1st down in the 1st half. Most ended with 3rd & longs, with Ridley getting zero or losing 2 yards. Ivory had that one run & I believe we missed the FG so it's like it didn't even happen, just one blip that resulted in just one forgettable series.

Never dicuss the rushing game with Savage.  I love the man, but his opinions on rushing are....suspect....at best.

Remember, he's the guy who thinks Curtis Martin was horrible.  No suprise he would think our horrific running game yesterday was good, despite it being basicly "one good run and a gameful of ineffective sh*te".

Thank you...you know what I know, FITZ is garbage and is exposed by the better teams.  We should say thanks for the time together and let him walk.

So you would go back to Geno Smith???? WTF? Are you serious? Fitzpatrick should be brought back simply because he is the best option the Jets have. He is a bridge to a potential franchise QB and little more. He won't duplicate this season by any means and given his history he will be injured by week seven and Bryce Petty will be put in. Fitz is a guy that won't break the bank and is cap friendly.

This one stings..a lot! We had an opportunity most teams dream of, to control your own destiny to make it to the post season.obviously we came out flat, and didn't get the job done. This isn't a thread to acknowledge "yay we were so close, it was a great season!"..but let's really look big picture here.

This has been a pretty bad team the past couple years. We made MAJOR changes in the off-season. New coaches, new GM. Lots of player movement. We get exponentially better in ONE year. What was the real expectation this year? 6 wins? 8 wins? Our team set many franchise and individual record this year on offense. It was a lot of fun to watch! 

At the end of the day, the milestones don't mean anything. Again, just to be clear, I am upset we didn't finish the job yesterday despite how low our expectations are, it doesn't excuse it. We had a golden opportunity and didn't seem to want it. 

For the first time in a long time, however, I am truly confident in our front office. I think Mac was a great hire. This was a team that was supposed to be rebuilding, and won 10 games this year. I hope that Todd Bowles first year was a learning experience, because at times he made us scratch our heads. Again, it's year one. Trust the process, I think we finally have a good one and two guys to steer us in the right direction! Let's see how year two off-season plays out, hopefully we continue to build and fill out some much needed depth and also get younger at some positions. Go Jets!

who knows about our front office? they had easy moves to make w/ boatloads of cap space, they did a good job as we were really talented but we failed when we had a golden opportunity to get into the playoffs and make some noise in a watered down AFC.

I still like Bowles but he was awful yesterday, the much better HC was on the other sideline.

Never dicuss the rushing game with Savage.  I love the man, but his opinions on rushing are....suspect....at best.

Remember, he's the guy who thinks Curtis Martin was horrible.  No suprise he would think our horrific running game yesterday was good, despite it being basicly "one good run and a gameful of ineffective sh*te".

I was thinking, did I miss something yesterday? Our run game was scary bad. How many times did Ridley try to bounce everything to the outside. The Bills got runs that put them in 3rd & short, unlike the Jets who ended up with 2nd & 12s on our own 15 yard line. The Bills were in way better position in down & distance than us, that's why they won the game converting 3rd downs over & over. They also killed us in field position, yesterday's game was scarily similar to the Eagles game where we were backed up for quarters at a time & the opponent kept getting better & better field position after a horrible punt.

Bowels and our DC need some time to.  I don't like the zone with Revis.  I don't like not giving Ivory more touches.  Heck, with Ivory in the game, it gives you the play-action option as the defense needs to respect Ivory.

First time HC, OC out of football for a while, let's give them time to grow too.

You laugh but it's not that different, dude.  We're going into the next season in the exact same position they were in last offseason.  Fitz vs. Geno vs. Petty.

We all love Fitz.  The guy is great and he's fun to root for and had an amazing season but I dont think anyone actually thinks he's the future.  So now what?  Resign Fitz and hope he can have a similar season and just keep searching?  

So basically, nothing has changed.  The Jets need a franchise QB and have a hold the fort guy who is probably good enough to keep us hanging around in the playoff picture but the truth is, the Jets a stuck in neutral with no real answers yet.  

We don't know that.  My guess is Geno is gone and we draft/sign at least one more QB.  Also, Fitz vs. Petty isn't the same as this year Fitz only win 6 games and Petty as a rookie.  Both have grown in the year.

Archived