Mel Kiper's 1st round mock???

If Jaylon Smith is there at 20 I'm knocking tables over to get that pick up there.

He would probably start the season on half season IR, then come in and contribute as strictly a pass rusher.

IMO the kid is the real deal, and just might be the best player in this draft.

I'll have to take a look at him. Im just now starting my look at college players and I've never heard of this dude until recently, yet everyone who even utters his name says that this kid is on another level. 

Some of this doesnt make sense to me. 

#1. Blake Bortles got sacked 51 times and the moment they have an opportunity to replace LT Luke Joeckel they have the Jags taking a DB and leaving Ronnie Stanley on the board. 

#2. Jerry Jones thought hard about drafting Manziel given Romo's age and proneness to injury. He doesnt and the Cowboys season tanks this  year with another Romo injury. Jones has the 4th pick in the draft and has his pick of the litter yet they have the cowboys drafting a defensive end? I dont think there are many 1st round pick QB talents this year but I would be amazed if the Cowboys go defense with this pick even if they dont go QB. They have a beast of an Oline yet the Cowboys dont even go RB with this pick to help out Romo if they do in fact not go QB in the first round? Why take a DE over a QB, and if you dont go QB why not take the best RB in the draft and allow your Oline to earn their money? 

Not sure if Mel is taking it in to account or not, but lots of speculation that Manziel ends up in Dallas.  Perfect fit, really.

I'll have to take a look at him. Im just now starting my look at college players and I've never heard of this dude until recently, yet everyone who even utters his name says that this kid is on another level. 

Think your going to like this kid Villain.  Good size, excellent pass rusher, excellent in coverage, good against the run.  i just can't find many faults with him.

Well, the blown up knee of course...................................Think his talent level is well worth the risk

He had the nick chubb injury 3 months later

In fairness, they're rumored to be letting one of them go because he decided not to play this year when he found out he was going to have to do what the coaches asked of him, not what he felt like doing.  That's going to create a huge hole for them.

I'm seeing the whole thing as another knock on Rex's greatness ... I always heard he needs really good talent run his D, now I hear he needs really good self-motivated talent.

You give a guy like Mario Williams to a DC he should be eating opponent QBs for breakfast. Rex has him covering TEs and RBs. What a waste.

Dustin Keller.

Keyshawn and Santana are the only WR or RBs the Jets have drafted in Round 1 since 1990.

Keller wasn't their first pick that season...Mangenius drafted Gholston ahead of him.

true. misread that as 'last first round pick' since this is a first round thread.

Me too...when I re-read it and saw "first pick" I remembered Keller was their second choice in that round.

Take a cue from Dee Milliner and don't risk it. Once injured a player becomes automatically an injury risk. I would not waste another first round pick on a guy who may not be even ready to play until midseason next year. Upside or not, it is NOT worth a first round risk. Tannenbaum and Idzik both made enough of those to last a lifetime.

Maybe you are too young to remember when the Jets passed on Anthony Munoz  because "that knee!"

Maybe you are too young to remember when the Jets passed on Anthony Munoz  because "that knee!"

I remember it well. They hit the daily double that year, because in rd#2, pick 47,Jets take Ralph"wolfman" Clayton from Michigan. Next pick,#48, Dolphins take Dwight Stephenson.

I remember it well. They hit the daily double that year, because in rd#2, pick 47,Jets take Ralph"wolfman" Clayton from Michigan. Next pick,#48, Dolphins take Dwight Stephenson.

Holy crap.  I don't remember this.  We could've had Munoz AND Stephenson?!?!?!   Probably would've won a superbowl.

Take a cue from Dee Milliner and don't risk it. Once injured a player becomes automatically an injury risk. I would not waste another first round pick on a guy who may not be even ready to play until midseason next year. Upside or not, it is NOT worth a first round risk. Tannenbaum and Idzik both made enough of those to last a lifetime.

Jaylon Smith does not have a extensive injury history like Dee did .. This is first ever major injury .. Would you take Todd Gurley on this team right now ? How about Odell Beckham he was injured his first few weeks of his rookie season . Smith Upside outweighs the risk IMO.. Your getting a legit Top 3 prospect in CFB at #20. I'd do it 

Jaylon Smith does not have a extensive injury history like Dee did .. This is first eve big injury .. Would you take Todd Gurley on this team right now ? How Oddll Beckham he was injured his first few weeks of his rookie season . Smith Upside outweighs the risk IMO..

Ummm Jaylon's injury was a severe knee injury Like Nick Chubbs, that happened during the end of dec,  this kid will be lucky to hit the field this year. Jets are not good enough to take a 1st rd pick and let him sit a yr.

Ummm Jaylon's injury was a severe knee injury Like Nick Chubbs, that happened during the end of dec,  this kid will be lucky to hit the field this year. Jets are not good enough to take a 1st rd pick and let him sit a yr.

probably won't be there anyway 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000623258/article/afc-director-jaylon-smith-unlikely-to-fall-past-no-18-pick

Jaylon Smith does not have a extensive injury history like Dee did .. This is first ever major injury .. Would you take Todd Gurley on this team right now ? How about Odell Beckham he was injured his first few weeks of his rookie season . Smith Upside outweighs the risk IMO.. Your getting a legit Top 3 prospect in CFB at #20. I'd do it 

please..Jets don't have the luxury of guessing and hoping.   We are a bottom 10 team in drafting over 40 years.  

No more reaching with top 4 picks.  No more Vlads, Stephin Hill, Amaros.     Although Amaro may turn on.

Mac hopefully can change this.   But Devin Smith tells us that no one is perfect. 

We'll never get good enough if we don't make some bold decisions.  I hope we trade up for a QB but I'd be fine drafting Jaylon here.

We'll never get good enough if we don't make some bold decisions.  I hope we trade up for a QB but I'd be fine drafting Jaylon here.

jets fans are better in hindsight .. All the guys claiming we shouldnt draft smith now  .. We be the ones complaining we didn't draft him and past on him for  ? when he gets healthy and blows up .. Jaylon smith has been one of top LBs in college football since his freshman year . If he doesnt get hurt he is legit Top 3-5 pick.. Good think Mac seems to be legit Best Talent Availabe kinda guy . So I'm confident in whatever he does with the pick .

jets fans are better in hindsight .. All the guys claiming we shouldnt draft smith now  .. We be the ones complaining we didn't draft him and past on him for  ? when he gets healthy and blows up .. Jaylon smith has been one of top LBs in college football since his freshman year . If he doesnt get hurt he is legit Top 3-5 pick.. Good think Mac seems to be legit Best Talent Availabe kinda guy . So I'm confident in whatever he does with the pick .

he was a bona fide top 10 pick, now he has has a major knee injury and more likely than not will miss a good portion of the season, if the plan is to dive for deshaun it may make sense.

Without looking at every pick is is the same as every Kiper draft in history? I mean he draws it up where every team force-feeds 100% for immediate starter need regardless of who's available, as though every rookie is automatically named the new starter, like it was free agency?

in a Kiper draft no GM is ever presumed to think past the upcoming season. 

Archived