Christian Hackenberg or Dak Prescott?

AFJF

Two interesting QB prospects and I heard Mike Mayock do an interview today picking them as his "dark horse" guys who will likely go later in the draft but cold be good pro QB's.

Which would you choose?

Personally, I'd go for Hackenberg because if that kid is salvageable he'll make a damn good QB one day.  However, the more I watch of Prescott, the more intrigued by him I become.  He needs to sharpen his footwork up considerably (he actually showed some improvement at the Senior Bowl), but he is a smart guy with all the physical tools to be successful.

Another big plus for Dak is that I think he will be the easier of the two to grab.  I think once the combine and pro days are over, Hackenberg is gonna rise up boards.

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Personally, I'd go for Hackenberg because if that kid is salvageable he'll make a damn good QB one day.  However, the more I watch of Prescott, the more intrigued by him I become.  He needs to sharpen his footwork up considerably (he actually showed some improvement at the Senior Bowl), but he is a smart guy with all the physical tools to be successful.

Another big plus for Dak is that I think he will be the easier of the two to grab.  I think once the combine and pro days are over, Hackenberg is gonna rise up boards.

Great response...thanks.

I'd be okay with either one but I agree that Hackenberg will move up some boards (Prescott might do the same) after the combine and is the more polished passer who played in a bad situation the past couple seasons.  

Prescott definitely improved and I love the idea of bringing in a guy like this for Gailey to work with along with Petty and see if one can emerge.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Punt so hard the laces disintegrate 

C'mon Tom...you have a choice between drafting Hackenberg or Prescott, or listening to Rex Ryan's audiobook.  Who you taking?

Just now, King P said:

Not a fan of either. But Prescott has the higher upside, so if forced to choose one I'd go with him.

Hackenberg is so overrated. But of course he "looks the part" so he's gonna get drafted earlier than he should

I think he will...I'd love to know how much scouts will consider his situation at Penn State with what I understand to have been a terrible O-line.

If the Texans pass on him a couple of times with O'Brien knowing him as well as anyone, that'll tell us something.

Hackenberg was a huge disappointment at Penn State this year. Much of it was his 0-Line, but he was also awful when given time. Not sure if the O-line caused him to lose confidence or he is just not that good. Really interesting prospect. I think if O'brien had stayed as coach and PSU wasn't severely punished there is a chance Hackenberg would be a top 10 pick his year (and probably would have been last year also). 

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Two interesting QB prospects and I heard Mike Mayock do an interview today picking them as his "dark horse" guys who will likely go later in the draft but cold be good pro QB's.

Which would you choose?

Kevin Hogan will outshine both as a Pro QB.

Cardale Jones is more raw than a steak in a newborn calf. You draft him and you're committing to sitting him on the bench for minimum 2-3 years and HOPE that he gets it. Talented, without question but it's a huge risk not really worth the reward. Especially considering he has major question marks about his maturity level. Just not worth it.

As far as the question posed, I'll say Prescott because he improved each year he was the full time starter and did it against better defenses/competition. Hackenberg didn't inspire confidence in his performance the last couple seasons.

42 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Cardale Jones is more raw than a steak in a newborn calf. You draft him and you're committing to sitting him on the bench for minimum 2-3 years and HOPE that he gets it. Talented, without question but it's a huge risk not really worth the reward. Especially considering he has major question marks about his maturity level. Just not worth it.

As far as the question posed, I'll say Prescott because he improved each year he was the full time starter and did it against better defenses/competition. Hackenberg didn't inspire confidence in his performance the last couple seasons.

The risk on Cardale is mitigated depending on where you're taking him.  If we don't like the QB's at the top of the board in this particular class and can get Cardale in the 4th/5th.....why not?  Nothing wrong with having Fitzpatrick as the starter and 2 "project" type QB's behind him on the depth chart.  It follows the "keep taking QB's until you find one" philosophy that makes all the sense in the world but few teams actually commit to.

We operated this past season with "project" level QB's Geno and Petty behind Fitz this past season, after all. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The risk on Cardale is mitigated depending on where you're taking him.  If we don't like the QB's at the top of the board in this particular class and can get Cardale in the 4th/5th.....why not?  Nothing wrong with having Fitzpatrick as the starter and 2 "project" type QB's behind him on the depth chart. 

We operated this past season with "project" level QB's Geno and Petty behind him this past season, after all. 

A 4th or 5th I suppose I could live with, because of the talent. Any sooner than that and let someone else deal with the crazy. And I think some team will be crazy enough to take him in round 2 or 3.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

A 4th or 5th I suppose I could live with, because of the talent. Any sooner than that and let someone else deal with the crazy. And I think some team will be crazy enough to take him in round 2 or 3.

Round 3 is right on the edge for where I'd be willing to take him.  Since we have a LATE 3rd, I would not consider that a reach at this time.  Naturally, a lot can change with the QB draft market between now and May, so take that with a grain of salt.

But a 2nd rounder?  GFY. 

Hackenberg was good as a Freshman then fell off a cliff after Bill O'Brien left and he was stuck playing in an offense he was ill suited for behind a dreadful offensive line. A lot of people have turned on the guy but he's got legit talent and I would definitely roll the dice on him -- I think both Hackenberg and Prescott are more worthy of a roster spot than Petty though.

Dak in my opinion is more for project than Petty, his footwork is horrible, pocket awareness is even worse he just seems to get rattled so easily it's like he's already shellshocked. Maybe getting jumped and beat up on spring break didn't help him any, felt bad for the kid. He also takes a lot of sacks. 

My one issue with Hackenberg is I like my quarterbacks to be good at football.

He'll look good at a lot of things but I believe he is just terrible.  I just don't see how you can get worse every year in college and then somehow expect that he'll improve once the complexity and competition level go up a couple exponents.

20 hours ago, peebag said:

Connor Cook

<ducks head to avoid getting hit by bottles>

Funny how Cook and Hackenberg were viewed as likely franchise QB's a couple seasons ago and now no idea where they'll get drafted.  I'd have no issues with Cook either.

Archived