Jim Miller mock has Jets taking Jaylon Smith

AFJF

https://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/02/29/millers-1st-mock/

All the talk regarding this draft class has been about the depth of the defensive line, and there is plenty of it. But in my first shot at the mock, Joey Bosa is the only DL in my Top 5, and the top four spots are held by QB’s and OT’s. Getting to the quarterback is very important, but having a quarterback and someone to protect him is still on the top of my list.

1. Tennessee – Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
Most people agree that the Titans need to keep Marcus Mariota clean. Tonsil can do it well, which allows Taylor Lewan to move to the right side.

2. Cleveland – Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
I Like his skills and believe he is the best QB in this draft. He may not have the most upside, but he is the most solid, which is exactly what the Browns need.

3. San Diego – Ronnie Stanley, OT, ND
Nothing personal against Chargers free agent RT Joe Barksdale, but the Chargers could not run the ball in 2015. Start Stanley at RT along with Fluker at RG and now you’re cooking with gas in the run game and can get RB Melvin Gordon going. Stanley ran the power spread at ND.

4. Dallas – Jared Goff, QB, California
Anticipatory pocket passer who fits well with how Jason Garrett wants the position to be played. He can sit and learn behind Romo, but teams are concerned about his hand size at the Combine. Goff could drop.

5. Jacksonville – Joey Bosa, DE, OSU
A high motor guy with NFL bloodlines who is a perfect fit as a DE in the Jags’ 4-3 defense. HC Gus Bradley has been searching desperately for ways to improve his pass rush.

6. Baltimore – Jalen Ramsey, CB, FSU
Ramsey is the big corner John Harbaugh has been looking for to upgrade his secondary. Ladarius Webb will most likely be released.

7. San Francisco – Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
As of right now, it looks like Colin Kaepernick no longer wants to be a 49er. Trent Baalke and Chip Kelly say they expect him to be there, but if Kaepernick doesn’t understand that Kelly’s is the best offense to resurrect his career, then the team needs to move on!

8. Miami – Deforest Buckner, DE, Oregon
Olivier Vernon is likely gone. Great! Get a stronger strong side DE who can get sacks, pressure, and free up Cam Wake when he gets healthy.

9. Tampa Bay – Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
Aggressive do-it-all cornerback who stops the run as well. Hello Carolina? This kid will not be afraid to stick his nose in NFL’s best rushing offense in Carolina with Jonathan Stewart or Cam Newton.

10. N.Y. Giants – Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky
Being in big city NY may make Jerry Reese nervous about off-the-field drug concerns with Spence, but have you seen the Giants’ pass rush? Only 23 sacks in 2015, third worst in the NFL. Reese will get over those concerns quickly.

11. Chicago – A ‘Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
A versatile defensive lineman who can two-gap at NT or play the 5-technique in a 3-4. Place him at the 5-tech on first and second downs, then move him inside to NT for Eddie Goldman on third downs. I thought about Reggie Ragland or Myles Jack here, but the Bears need to rebuild that defensive line.

12. New Orleans – Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama
The Saints were 31st in NFL at stopping the run in 2015. Reed is a foundational player that will help them do that. Reed is very similar talent-wise to his teammate drafted a spot earlier.

13. Philadelphia – Mackenzie Alexander, CB, Clemson
Eagles management will find out what a true shutdown CB actually looks like. New DC Jim Schwartz will make high-priced Byron Maxwell more effective, but Alexander is the real deal.

14. Oakland – Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
Raiders HC Jack Del Rio knows a thing or two about playing linebacker in the NFL. Both Jacks know he’s talented enough to replace Curtis Lofton.

15. Los Angeles – Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama
The Rams released James Laurinaitis and plan to move Alec Ogletree to MLB. Ragland proved at the Senior Bowl that he can play outside, too. Draft him and then decide who is the best fit at each spot.

16. Detroit – Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
Word on the street is Calvin Johnson is retiring. Treadwell won’t run a 40 at the Combine, but can make plays.

17. Atlanta – Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
The Falcons had the worst pass rush in the NFL in 2015. Ra’Shede Hageman is the left DT, insert Rankins as the 3-technique where he can penetrate and collapse the pocket from the interior.

18. Indianapolis – Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
Decker’s former Ohio State teammate, RT Jack Mewhort, played better at guard when the Colts made adjustments to the o-line. Andrew Luck and Hasselbeck both got crushed. Protect the franchise and place Decker at RT.

19. Buffalo – Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State
I wanted to draft OLB Jaylon Smith out of Notre Dame in this spot, but Rex Ryan has already worn out his welcome and cannot wait for a playmaker to get healthy. Thus, Lee gets the nod from GM Doug Whaley. Nigel Bradham is a free agent and Lee is a playmaker.

20. N.Y. Jets – Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame
GM Mike MacCagnan and HC Todd Bowles know what they want to build long term. They can be patient because of their dominant front, and Smith’s skills are worth waiting for while he recovers from his ACL tear in January, though recent news about possible nerve damage could change this pick.

21. Washington – Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
A versatile player who can line up at NT or 5-technique and play on all three downs. Jason Hatcher isn’t getting any younger, and free agent Terrance “Pot Roast” Knighton was never in shape to even play 3 downs.

22. Houston – Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
Yes, they want a QB, but they need a running game no matter who lines up under center. Todd Gurley provided that base for the Rams, who had bad QB play, and Elliott would provide stable offense for any young Texans QB, including their current young draftee Tom Savage.

23. Minnesota – Su’a Cravens, OLB, USC
The Vikings will re-sign WLB Chad Greenway for a final season, but draft his replacement in Cravens. With Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks already in the mix, Cravens would round out their LB corps for the next decade.

24. Cincinnati – Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
A big corner who adds youth and size to the Bengals secondary – a necessity when you have to face Josh Gordon, Martavis Bryant, and Brett Perriman within the division every year.

25. Pittsburgh – Kevin Dodd, DE/OLB, Clemson
It sounds like Kevin Colbert acknowledges time is running out for OLB Jarvis Jones. Much like Bud Dupree, Dodd packs a lunch and brings a flashlight. High upside for this young player.

26. Seattle – Jack Conklin, OT, MSU
Tom Cable loves gritty, hard-working guys who get the job done. Conklin plays into Seattle’s chip on their shoulder, “compete all the time,” mantra. Conklin was a walk-on at Michigan State. Perfect!

27. Green Bay – Shaq Lawson, OLB/DE, Clemson
If Julius Peppers retires, Lawson is an ideal replacement as a versatile guy who can stand up or put his hand in the dirt and be effective. Fellow LBs Nick Perry and Mike Neal are currently free agents.

28. Kansas City – Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
Floyd needs to add bulk, but can spell Dee Ford on the weak side as a pass rushing linebacker in a 3-4, easing the transition from Tamba Hali.

29. Arizona – Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss
Good in any front as a penetrator who can disrupt and provide pressure, something the Cardinals desperately need. He has an off-field issue, but Bruce Arians’ tough love is exactly what this young man needs.

30. Carolina – Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State
Big 12 Defensive POY who could replace Charles Johnson when he’s released or his contract runs out after 2016 season. A never-quit guy with 12.5 sacks and 16.5 TFL; exactly the type Gettleman and Rivera look for.

31. Denver – Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
Elway just signed big Phil Taylor, but Wade Phillips would love to have Billings, who is more versatile than Taylor and a brawler.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jaylon Smith might not even go in the 4th round. That's how messed up his knee is.

You've seen his medical charts and examined his knee? You're a doctor? You do the surgery or have anything to do with his post-op recovery? Or are you just taking baseless reports at their word? You have no idea what you're talking about and you're out of your depth here.

I don't think he'll go in the first round, but have to wait and see until April when he gets examined again.

Just now, bitonti said:

Are YOU a doctor CrazyCarl? 

Nope. And I have yet to hear anyone that actually is his doctor or someone working with him to actually come out and comment on his knee. Except at the beginning when they said the surgery went as well as it could. Show me some actual diagnosis or prognosis and not hypothetical information and tweets from NFL "insiders".

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Nope. And I have yet to hear anyone that actually is his doctor or someone working with him to actually come out and comment on his knee. Except at the beginning when they said the surgery went as well as it could. Show me some actual diagnosis or prognosis and not hypothetical information and tweets from NFL "insiders".

3 teams took him off their board entirely. That's not hypothetical. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14858386/jaylon-smith-knee-injury-concerns-multiple-nfl-teams

by the way doctors don't publicly talk about their patients. It's a privacy violation (HIPAA). So if you are waiting for a doctor to tell you what everyone else already knows, you'll be waiting until doomsday. 

Just now, bitonti said:

3 teams took him off their board entirely. That's not hypothetical. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14858386/jaylon-smith-knee-injury-concerns-multiple-nfl-teams

What does that have to do with a diagnosis or prognosis? That just means three teams are not very smart. How many passed on Adrian Peterson because of his shoulder? Gurley because of his knee? There are a litany of teams that have passed on various players for a number of reasons, or wouldn't draft them completely. Some team will draft this player, and no, probably not in the 1st round, and they will get a huge bargain. Wait and see.

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What does that have to do with a diagnosis or prognosis? That just means three teams are not very smart. How many passed on Adrian Peterson because of his shoulder? Gurley because of his knee? There are a litany of teams that have passed on various players for a number of reasons, or wouldn't draft them completely. Some team will draft this player, and no, probably not in the 1st round, and they will get a huge bargain. Wait and see.

I don't understand how you are allowed to make a prediction he's not going in the 1st but I can't make a prediction he'd be lucky to go in the 4th. What information do you have that no one else does? 

Anatomy 101: Nerve damage doesn't heal 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't understand how you are allowed to make a prediction he's not going in the 1st but I can't make a prediction he'd be lucky to go in the 4th. What information do you have that no one else does? 

Anatomy 101: Nerve damage doesn't heal 

You're allowed to make any prediction you like. What information do you have that a top 5 talent in the draft pre-injury "would be lucky" to get drafted in the 4th round? It's my belief that some team that has depth and can play they waiting game will take him as value in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Also, there is no confirmation ANYWHERE about nerve damage. Just FYI. Does that mean you're not right about it? No, but there is no confirmation that he has nerve damage. Let's see what the April examinations of these players turn out to be.

Also, there is no confirmation ANYWHERE about nerve damage. Just FYI. Does that mean you're not right about it? No, but there is no confirmation that he has nerve damage. Let's see what the April examinations of these players turn out to be.

doctors don't confirm personal details about their patients. That's not how it works. 

one fact we do know he's walking around at like 220, he's not going to be able to workout or maintain weight with his injury is that a fair comment? Or do you need dr. Oz to log in and explain how atrophy works? 

Just now, bitonti said:

doctors don't confirm personal details about their patients. That's not how it works. 

You're right. Doctors have never spoken with the press to talk about the successes of surgeries, time tables, etc. It happens literally all the time. Don't give me that HIPAA stuff either. It's different for athletes and you know it. The player himself said there was no nerve damage.

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You're right. Doctors have never spoken with the press to talk about the successes of surgeries, time tables, etc. It happens literally all the time. Don't give me that HIPAA stuff either. It's different for athletes and you know it. The player himself said there was no nerve damage.

So the player who is hoping for an NFL payday might downplay his injury?

Shocking, I tell you. 

4 minutes ago, Thor99 said:

So the player who is hoping for an NFL payday might downplay his injury?

Shocking, I tell you. 

The player has an insurance policy and is getting paid decently either way. Is a first round deal, better? Of course, but a precipitous drop isn't going to kill his bank account either. The insurance money is also tax free.

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

one fact we do know he's walking around at like 220, he's not going to be able to workout or maintain weight with his injury is that a fair comment? Or do you need dr. Oz to log in and explain how atrophy works? 

If it were a dog sporting a ND jersey, Crazy Carl would be supporting its draft position.

Rally sons of Notre Dame:
Sing her glory and sound her fame,
Raise her Gold and Blue
And cheer with voices true:
Rah, rah, for Notre Dame
We will fight in ev-ry game,
Strong of heart and true to her name
We will ne'er forget her
And will cheer her ever
Loyal to Notre Dame

Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame,
Wake up the echoes cheering her name,
Send a volley cheer on high,
Shake down the thunder from the sky.
What though the odds be great or small
Old Notre Dame will win over all,
While her loyal sons are marching
Onward to victory.

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Missed this edit. Of course he's lost weight and cannot maintain it because he can't work out. Of course he's going to have to work back. I'm still not sure what this is adding to your point. A good team can still take him in the 2nd or 3rd round and wait on him. His talent is that good.

Missed this edit. Of course he's lost weight and cannot maintain it because he can't work out. Of course he's going to have to work back. I'm still not sure what this is adding to your point. A good team can still take him in the 2nd or 3rd round and wait on him. His talent is that good.

Wait until doomsday it will never heal 

NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock said Sunday that no fewer than five NFL clubs have significant concerns about the exams Smith's knee underwent in Indianapolis.

"A big part of this is the medical ... I've texted and talked to at least five different teams since (Saturday) night to ask them about Jaylon Smith. None of them will get specific, but the one common denominator is every team's told me it's bad, on the knee," Mayock said on NFL Network.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639790/article/nfl-clubs-on-jaylon-smiths-knee-injury-its-bad

and according to Rotoworld:  During his combine medical check, nerve damage was revealed in both the knee and ankle.

This would be patently insane.  Hell no.  

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Shefter is getting sued for leaking patient records.  It's a breach of your privacy.

You dont think this "experts" are getting their info from teams who consult with doctors? 

It's bad dude.  And this writer is insane to think the Jets are willing to draft someone who they wont see till 2017, maybe, and not even sure if he'll ever be the same again. 

Sucks for the kid...but that's reality.

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Wait until doomsday it will never heal 

and according to Rotoworld:  During his combine medical check, nerve damage was revealed in both the knee and ankle.

Rotoworld got that information from where? Every single report is "possible". And the player himself denying it. So, take it with a grain of salt, but until it's confirmed you and everyone else are basing your opinions on unsubstantiated reports.

Archived