Can Maccagnan Pull off Second Windy City Heist?

JetNation

Mike Maccagnan

By Glenn Naughton

It was almost a year ago today that Jets General Manager made his first major splash in his new post when he acquired wide receiver Brandon Marhshall from the Chicago Bears in what turned out to be one of the most lopsided deals in team history as Marshall posted monster numbers, pulling in 109 receptions for 1,502 yards and  14 touchdowns.

Now this nugget of info from NFL insider Adam Schefter.

That alone is an interesting piece of information, made even more intriguing by the fact that ESPN.com’s Rich Cimini added his two cents.

So could it happen?  Would the Jets be able to make a move to acquire Martellus Bennett from the Bears?

Chime in here in our forums and let us know what you think.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
dltuzXbb8KA

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Send them Mo Wilk, they are trying to install a 34 defense. Get their 1st and Bennett. 

Done.

My thoughts exactly...but thought they may offer Bennett and a 2.

If not, then see if they take a mid-late round pick like they did for Marshall, free up cap space when Mo is dealt and all of the other expected cuts/re-negotiations are made.

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would not want to give up on him, but obviously would not be deal breaker. How old is Bennett? 

I agree, I like Amaro and wouldn't want to give up on him either...but Bennett is a proven commodity and still only 28....

Add that to a 11th pick in the draft for Wilk and this trade would still be a steal for the Jets.

He's on the last yr. of his contract at $6m.... You don't trade Wilk for a player who can walk after this season.

Unless you can work out a new contract.

Might just want to sign Scott Chandler to a cheap deal and trade Mo straight up for picks.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

He's on the last yr. of his contract at $6m.... You don't trade Wilk for a player who can walk after this season.

Unless you can work out a new contract.

Might just want to sign Scott Chandler to a cheap deal and trade Mo straight up for picks.

if it's trading Mo for Bennett and their 1st, i'd do it.  they'd be lucky to get a late round pick for Bennett at this point, they're just going to end up cutting him.

i believe Bennett is turning 30 soon, so we'd get maybe a couple more years if he were to resign.

40 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree, I like Amaro and wouldn't want to give up on him either...but Bennett is a proven commodity and still only 28....

Add that to a 11th pick in the draft for Wilk and this trade would still be a steal for the Jets.

The only thing Bennett has proven is he doesn't play consistently good for a whole season. He has his up games and his down games admittedly we would likely get better play out of him than we have gotten out of our other tight ends in the past few years. I don't think I would be willing to throw in Amaro for him and I think the bears will end up getting lowballed in a trade simply due to the fact that he doesn't want to play there anymore. 

I think the problem is going to be money. He doesn't have the cash to spend that he had last year. Unless they make additional cuts. I'd say let's look into other options at tight end like Scott Chandler. First rap up Fitz who imo is essential to making the playoffs in 2016. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bennett is a flake who doesn't seem to particularly enjoy playing football. People think he's good because he gets overvalued on FanDuel due to the three games per year he actually decides to show up.

The guy is 6'6" and had 3 TDs last year. Would love to see a more dominating red zone performance from someone with that size (he is like 280lbs).

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The guy is 6'6" and had 3 TDs last year. Would love to see a more dominating red zone performance from someone with that size (he is like 280lbs).

I wouldn't worry a ton about that.  He was dinged up last season and 10 of his 11 TD's over the previous two seasons were in the RZ on a team with Marshall and Jeffrey as other huge targets.

25 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Great idea. Unfortunately this is not NFL Madden 2016.  

you say that like that isn't a legit trade offer.  bennett isn't going to command much, if anything, on the trade market.  it's already being reported that if a trade can't be made, he's going to be cut.

the bears are a team in need of something new on defense.  name one of their starters on the defensive side.  i don't think it's crazy, if it makes you feel any better we could throw in a conditional 7th.

56 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Great idea. Unfortunately this is not NFL Madden 2016.  

oh no, the "this isn't Madden" insult... 

They are looking for a mid-rounder for Bennett. We're looking for two firsts for Wilk.

Do. Math.

Yup I'm in on this deal.  Mo + Conditional 7th for Bennett and 11th overall pick.  Conditional 7th upgraded to 6th based on playing time.

This deal is really exciting actually, with the 11th and 20th picks in the first round we can immediately upgrade 2 positions while simultaneously upgrading the TE position for the next 2-3 years easily.

11th pick could potentially put us in QB range as well depending on how FA QBs play out.

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Yup I'm in on this deal.  Mo + Conditional 7th for Bennett and 11th overall pick.  Conditional 7th upgraded to 6th based on playing time.

This deal is really exciting actually, with the 11th and 20th picks in the first round we can immediately upgrade 2 positions while simultaneously upgrading the TE position for the next 2-3 years easily.

11th pick could potentially put us in QB range as well depending on how FA QBs play out.

Only if you can sign Bennett to an extension.

I'd be OK getting the 11th pick for Mo.... and I guess Bennett as a throw in is nice.

OR

We keep our best player and let MacDaddy do his job and get this team some more players.

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Only if you can sign Bennett to an extension.

I'd be OK getting the 11th pick for Mo.... and I guess Bennett as a throw in is nice.

OR

We keep our best player and let MacDaddy do his job and get this team some more players.

Exactly, the best part about this is I feel the Jets have all the leverage.  Can we keep Wilk, sure.  Will it be hard on teh cap?  Yes but it won't break us, especially without a Franchise QB.

A bears fan came back at this proposal with 

Bennett, Lamarr Houston, and the 11th for Mo Wilkerson and the 20th

I don't think I would take that, I don't think Houston translates well to our 3-4 and feel kind of iffy on that value.

11 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Exactly, the best part about this is I feel the Jets have all the leverage.  Can we keep Wilk, sure.  Will it be hard on teh cap?  Yes but it won't break us, especially without a Franchise QB.

I don't think I would take that, I don't think Houston translates well to our 3-4 and feel kind of iffy on that value.

Thats a deal you cannot refuse you upgrade 2 positions  you move up in the draft then you resign Harrison

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Thats a deal you cannot refuse you upgrade 2 positions  you move up in the draft then you resign Harrison

Year Base Salary(Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number

Dead Money & Cap Savings
Prorated Roster Workout Other
2014 $1,000,000$1,000,000 $990,000 $3,000,000 $50,000 $0 $5,040,000      
2015 $5,950,000$5,950,000 $990,000 $0 $50,000 $0 $6,990,000      
2016 $5,950,000 $990,000 $0 $50,000 $0 $6,990,000   $2,970,000 $4,020,000
2017 $5,950,000 $990,000 $0 $50,000 $0 $6,990,000   $1,980,000 $5,010,000
2018 $7,950,000 $990,000 $0 $50,000 $0 $8,990,000   $990,000 $8,000,000

Lamarr Houston

34OLB

College: Texas     Accrued Seasons: 6
League Entry: 2010 NFL Draft, Round 2, Pick 44 (Raiders)
The Chicago Bears signed DE Lamarr Houston to a five year contract worth $35 million on March 11, 2014. Houston will receive a $4,950,000 signing bonus and $3,000,000 roster bonus in 2014. His 2015 base salary is guaranteed for injury and will become fully guaranteed if on the roster the 2nd day following the 2014 Super Bowl. Base salaries of the contract are $1,000,000(2014), $5,950,000(2015), $5,950,000(2016), $5,950,000(2017), and $7,950,000(2018).

Contract Details

Total Value: $35,000,000 (avg. $7,000,000/year; $8,950,000 fully guaranteed)
13th highest of 80 34OLB contracts

Traditional Statistics (2012-present)

Year Games Played Tackles Negative Plays Interceptions Fumbles TD
Solo Assist Sacks Yards TFL QB Hits Pass Def. INT Yards Forced Recovered Yards
2012 16 49 20 4 34 13 12 2 0 0 1 1 0 0
2013 16 56 13 6 52 10 16 0 0 0 2 1 0 0
2014 7 8 3 1 11 3 7 1 0 0 0 1 0 0
2015 14 35 6 7 57 10 12 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

46 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Why would Chicago want to trade Houston? Reasonable salary.

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I had no idea that Houston was a 3-4 OLB with Oakland as well.  This is a very interesting deal and his contract is affordable and we would be in great position to stay put at 11 and draft bpa or even possibly trade back for more picks if what we want isn't there.

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I had no idea that Houston was a 3-4 OLB with Oakland as well.  This is a very interesting deal and his contract is affordable and we would be in great position to stay put at 11 and draft bpa or even possibly trade back for more picks if what we want isn't there.

Or trade down further to get 1 of the top 3 QBs

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Or trade down further to get 1 of the top 3 QBs

I think it will cost too much to trade down further, imo I'd only trade down for Wentz and you would have to trade with Tenn to get him.  I don't believe Goff is a good fit for the northeast with the tiny hands (this does matter to me in the northeast) and Paxton Lynch doesn't feel like a guarantee but a possible project for that high up, we could possibly sit at 11 and get Lynch without giving up the farm for him.

9 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I think it will cost too much to trade down further, imo I'd only trade down for Wentz and you would have to trade with Tenn to get him.  I don't believe Goff is a good fit for the northeast with the tiny hands (this does matter to me in the northeast) and Paxton Lynch doesn't feel like a guarantee but a possible project for that high up, we could possibly sit at 11 and get Lynch without giving up the farm for him.

I like Paxton Lynch he's big athletic and has huge meat hooks. The kid can sling it.

Wentz there is to much hype,the whole mike mayock, "he's the next Luck" is crazy.

He's going to the Browns unless someone bets the farm to leap frog them.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Trading draft picks for a malcontent veteran entering the last year of his contract is always a good idea.

Funny if you time travel back 1 year some people would have said the same thing about Marshall.  Top 10 complete TE, yeah he's a diva and he isn't happy in Chicago.  If he goes to an organization that works for him (like Marshall here) I don't see why we wouldn't give away another 5th or 6th for that deal, or the trade proposal the Bears fan suggested to me.

Archived