77 members have voted

1. 1. Chances Fitz is back next year

• 100%
    • 75%
    • 50%
    • poor attempt at humor/nonsensical/obscure number...ie 37%
    • 0%....he's gone

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

How can Broncos offer a $45m contract when they're $5.7m OVER the Cap as of now???

Peyton is guaranteed $19 mil with a $21.5m Cap hit and looking like he may NOT! retire as they hoped.

I think they need to renegotiate his deal or give him an ownership stake to walk away from that kind of money.

That's why he hasn't signed it yet.  The offer is there and they've told Manning they'll cut him if he doesn't retire.  One way or another, they'll have the money available for Osweiller to be able to sign.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Again, another guy who knows nothing.

MArshall did not bail on Geno at all, He was saying all kinds of positve things about him during TC.

And after the IK incident Brandon marshall said Geno didn't deserve what happened to him, and then he started to get in with fitztragic because he knew that fitztragic was going to be the starter for a while

Every QB that Brandon Marshall has played with has been "His guy", look up some of the stuff he used to say about Cutler, that's why the argument you guys are trying to make is utterly stupid.

When Marshall was on first take and asked about Kaepernick he said Fitz was his guy, Stephen A. SMith responded with Geno used to be your guy to, Marshall then replied "Geno is still my guy" 

After playing with the QB Marshall used to sing praise for, he tends to then throw them under the bus, like he did the guys in Miami, and like he did Jay Cutler on the same First take interview I just quoted, he always loves the current QB he works with.

Thank you for getting your daily dose of facts by colgateman.

I don't even know what you are arguing here?  All these words just reinforces the point that you can't put any weight into Marshalls actions towards Geno.

You said:

1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

Yet Brandon Marshall was saying his guy during all of TC and was living with him up until the IK incident

Yet Eric Decker said he still believes in Geno

Yet Todd Bowles named Geno the starter

Yep, thanks for some more daily facts by Colgateman.

I explained why that was factually incorrect in my post but here is proof since you all about the articles:

1. The new odd couple: Brandon Marshall and Geno Smith started working out together soon after Marshall was traded to the Jets in March, and now they've taken their wide receiver-quarterback relationship to the next level. Marshall is living with Smith near the Jets' facility, giving them a chance to bond over Xs and Os. Marshall plans to stay until late June, when he moves into his own place.  Source

and Marshall hasn't been singing the praises out of Geno, he was always talking about Geno with levity.  Such as

Although Marshall's been impressed by Smith, he's not expecting any miracles from his new quarterback.

"This is a first-year offense," Marshall said. "If you guys are expecting me to be a [1,500]-yard receiver, that's high expectations. If you're expecting Geno Smith to go out there and crush it, I don't know how possible that is. It's a first-year offense with new guys, new faces. We're behind the eight ball. We have to put in extra work to catch up to those guys that have been together five, six, seven years." Source

Wonder if Marshall thought he'd get 1500+ with Fitz?  Funny looking back on this article now how he nailed his own fantasy number lol

14 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

Think he will have one more year to prove himself. Before they turn the reigns over to Bryce Petty.

I hope that's how it plays out.  Fitz for one more year as the starter, then Petty's backup once he takes over.  

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I would say RG111, but with this caveat .  When the Jets signed Fitzpatrick last yr, did you think there was any chance he could have the season he did  ?

If my aunt had a d*ck, she'd be my uncle.

Of course I didn't expect him to throw 31 Tds and play w toughness and leadership and smarts and chemistry and so on...

but HE DID ..we saw it with our own eyes, people!! 

...and RG III will NEVER EVER will himself to 31 TDs while displaying all those attributes..and if Satan rises and RG III is our QB instead of Fitz, what are we gonna say,"At least he was cheap."?

We presently have about 6mil worth of cap space. We have no starting RBs on the roster. We are about to lose our starting NT  . We will have at least 6 draft picks to sign and only a few moves to make that won't create future additional cap issues . How exactly does it make sense to give 15 mil to a QB the likes of Fitzpatrick  ?  Even if the cap hit is back loaded,   we're still talking about screwing up our future cap for Ryan Fitzpatrick .

31 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

We presently have about 6mil worth of cap space. We have no starting RBs on the roster. We are about to lose our starting NT  . We will have at least 6 draft picks to sign and only a few moves to make that won't create future additional cap issues . How exactly does it make sense to give 15 mil to a QB the likes of Fitzpatrick  ?  Even if the cap hit is back loaded,   we're still talking about screwing up our future cap for Ryan Fitzpatrick .

Great post

32 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You don't anticipate any moves that will create cap space that has been talked about for a little bit now?  Trade Mo?  Re-work D'Brick, cut Kerley, Cumberland and Giacomini?  I don't think they're gonna' go at this thing with $6.6 mil in cap space.  

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sorry, Fitzpatrick gets more blame than the defense. They looked bad at times, but in the end they held Taylor and Buffalo's offense to the same points (22) and fewer yards than they usually put up on the season. Certainly not great, and not what we needed from them that day, but an awful game is surrendering 400 yards and 30, 40, even 50 points to the other team. They held Buffalo to under 300 yards and 22 points (and one of the TDs Buffalo started on our 25 yard line so 3 points was already gift-wrapped from the offense and special teams).

Since he's not so physically talented, Fitzpatrick's whole thing is that he's supposedly so smart. Except he isn't smart on the field and that game was another example of it. Who makes a risky throw in the 4th quarter, on 2nd down, from the opponent's 14 yard line, down by only 2 points? A tunnel-vision-handicapped, dumb QB does that. He took the life out of the whole team. The D had held Buffalo to 3-and-out's on 2 of the prior 3 drives.

Then even though the next series on D they did a lousy job, they still did hold Buffalo to only a FG, keeping it a one-score game with nearly 4 minutes (and all our timeouts) remaining. More than enough time to redeem himself and score a TD against a sh*tty defense. And what does he do? He throws another pick.

I agree we could do worse than Fitzpatrick. But he's nothing special and nothing worth falling over ourselves to overpay. He won't have the same numbers against a normal-difficulty schedule (let alone a tough one).

Keeping Revis 10 yards off Watkins the entire game ... Even after the whole world could see he was getting eaten alive is what pi$$ed me off the most!

this was a low point for Bowles IMO ... Hope he learned a lesson and makes some adjustments next season

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

You don't anticipate any moves that will create cap space that has been talked about for a little bit now?  Trade Mo?  Re-work D'Brick, cut Kerley, Cumberland and Giacomini?  I don't think they're gonna' go at this thing with $6.6 mil in cap space.  

Seriously!

open your eyes people !!!

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

A starting QB who won 10 games and set records wants to be paid an average starting QB salary?

Why I never!

OR

A starting QB by virtue of an injury that has ever sniffed playoffs in a decade long career n beat up 9 sh*tty teams n Pats while losing to the great Rex twice, setting up centuries old meaningless record that 12 other QBs also did, wants Brady money? 

See what I did there? $15 mil is more than twice his value. Mac hasn't signed him so I guess he doesn't agree with the salary either. 

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Trade Mo? What's wrong with keeping a top 3 player at his position n letting a possible top 30 go? Dumb QBs that can't take u to the playoffs come dime a dozen. We have one already. 

2 hours ago, ljr said:

Keeping Revis 10 yards off Watkins the entire game ... Even after the whole world could see he was getting eaten alive is what pi$$ed me off the most!

this was a low point for Bowles IMO ... Hope he learned a lesson and makes some adjustments next season

Like Woody implied when asked about the game, the Bills were held to 22 points and all Fitz had to do was make enough plays to win. Instead he threw 3 picks and lost us the game. That's it. Fitz had a top 10 defense, one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and still couldn't take our team to the playoffs. That's it.

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

OR

A starting QB by virtue of an injury that has ever sniffed playoffs in a decade long career n beat up 9 sh*tty teams n Pats while losing to the great Rex twice, setting up centuries old meaningless record that 12 other QBs also did, wants Brady money? 

See what I did there? $15 mil is more than twice his value. Mac hasn't signed him so I guess he doesn't agree with the salary either. 

FA can't be signed until 4pm March 9th

5 hours ago, elgoman said:

Like Woody implied when asked about the game, the Bills were held to 22 points and all Fitz had to do was make enough plays to win. Instead he threw 3 picks and lost us the game. That's it. Fitz had a top 10 defense, one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and still couldn't take our team to the playoffs. That's it.

Fitz had just 18 minutes and some odd change the ENTIRE game to out score the Bills offense, who had 41 minutes of possession, including almost the entirety of the game with the wind. You can also say that the Jets had a QB who set a franchise record for TD's and had nearly 4000 yards passing, but the team could not make the playoffs. If you are laying this all on the QB, you are completely ignoring the horrendous special teams play, weakness at LB, lack of any pass receiving TE, and any other holes we may have on this team that, when improved, will undoubtedly help the team win more games. To think that the Jets could have won eleven games with better play in any of these areas is very reasonable (particularly special teams, who most agree, cost us at least a game). Finally, the team would have won eleven games had they not folded and played lousy against a middle of the road Raiders team, even with Geno Smith at QB. We can look at Philip Rivers and Drew Brees' play this season and be very critical, yet most of us dismiss all the losses to poor surrounding talent. Yet, why do we assume that a previously 4-12 team with a new coaching staff and some aging veterans has all the pieces in place. The team played above expectations and WON five out of their last six games, and had the KC Chiefs not miraculously gone from 1-5 to 11-5 would have been playoff bound. Unfortunately, the TEAM laid an egg in Buffalo. Poor game planning, dropped footballs, terrible special teams (the nail in the coffin for Bobby April), the lack of any running game, and yes, poor play by the QB late, ALL conspired to sink the Jets. I think that last game will be valuable if the team learns from it, as on complete display were the areas that they need improvement and more depth. If they ignore all that came before the fourth quarter meltdown and lay the entire blame on a QB who just threw his first red zone INT of the year (an admittedly terrible play call, execution, and throw), the team will be doing itself a disservice. Bottom line, this is a team that finished strong, but had a major meltdown in Buffalo. Failure came on all sides of the ball and from the coaching staff, and yes, from Fitzpatrick, who made major strides this season, but will not earn his due respect until he wins the big game and leads a team to the playoffs. Hopefully, with an improved team, a solid draft and a more consistent running game, particularly down the stretch, he and the Jets will be able to achieve that this coming year.

33 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Fitz had just 18 minutes and some odd change the ENTIRE game to out score the Bills offense, who had 41 minutes of possession, including almost the entirety of the game with the wind. You can also say that the Jets had a QB who set a franchise record for TD's and had nearly 4000 yards passing, but the team could not make the playoffs. If you are laying this all on the QB, you are completely ignoring the horrendous special teams play, weakness at LB, lack of any pass receiving TE, and any other holes we may have on this team that, when improved, will undoubtedly help the team win more games. To think that the Jets could have won eleven games with better play in any of these areas is very reasonable (particularly special teams, who most agree, cost us at least a game). Finally, the team would have won eleven games had they not folded and played lousy against a middle of the road Raiders team, even with Geno Smith at QB. We can look at Philip Rivers and Drew Brees' play this season and be very critical, yet most of us dismiss all the losses to poor surrounding talent. Yet, why do we assume that a previously 4-12 team with a new coaching staff and some aging veterans has all the pieces in place. The team played above expectations and WON five out of their last six games, and had the KC Chiefs not miraculously gone from 1-5 to 11-5 would have been playoff bound. Unfortunately, the TEAM layer an egg in Buffalo. Poor game planning, dropped footballs, terrible special teams (the nail in the coffin for Bobby April), the lack of any running game, and yes, poor play by the QB late, ALL conspired to sink the Jets. I think that last game will be valuable if the team learns from it, as on complete display were the areas that they need improvement and more depth. If they ignore all that came before the fourth quarter meltdown and lay the entire blame on a QB who just threw his first red zone INT of the year (an admittedly terrible play call, execution, and throw), the team will be doing itself a disservice. Bottom line, this is a team that finished strong, but had a major meltdown in Buffalo. Failure came on all sides of the ball and from the coaching staff, and yes, from Fitzpatrick, who made major strides this season, but will not earn his due respect until he wins the big game and leads a team to the playoffs. Hopefully, with an improved team, a solid draft and a more consistent running game, particularly down the stretch, he and the Jets will be able to achieve that this coming year.

Excellent post.  Total ignorance when a fan puts ALL the blame/credit on the QB. While QB is an important position football is a TEAM game.

37 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Fitz had just 18 minutes and some odd change the ENTIRE game to out score the Bills offense, who had 41 minutes of possession, including almost the entirety of the game with the wind. You can also say that the Jets had a QB who set a franchise record for TD's and had nearly 4000 yards passing, but the team could not make the playoffs. If you are laying this all on the QB, you are completely ignoring the horrendous special teams play, weakness at LB, lack of any pass receiving TE, and any other holes we may have on this team that, when improved, will undoubtedly help the team win more games. To think that the Jets could have won eleven games with better play in any of these areas is very reasonable (particularly special teams, who most agree, cost us at least a game). Finally, the team would have won eleven games had they not folded and played lousy against a middle of the road Raiders team, even with Geno Smith at QB. We can look at Philip Rivers and Drew Brees' play this season and be very critical, yet most of us dismiss all the losses to poor surrounding talent. Yet, why do we assume that a previously 4-12 team with a new coaching staff and some aging veterans has all the pieces in place. The team played above expectations and WON five out of their last six games, and had the KC Chiefs not miraculously gone from 1-5 to 11-5 would have been playoff bound. Unfortunately, the TEAM layer an egg in Buffalo. Poor game planning, dropped footballs, terrible special teams (the nail in the coffin for Bobby April), the lack of any running game, and yes, poor play by the QB late, ALL conspired to sink the Jets. I think that last game will be valuable if the team learns from it, as on complete display were the areas that they need improvement and more depth. If they ignore all that came before the fourth quarter meltdown and lay the entire blame on a QB who just threw his first red zone INT of the year (an admittedly terrible play call, execution, and throw), the team will be doing itself a disservice. Bottom line, this is a team that finished strong, but had a major meltdown in Buffalo. Failure came on all sides of the ball and from the coaching staff, and yes, from Fitzpatrick, who made major strides this season, but will not earn his due respect until he wins the big game and leads a team to the playoffs. Hopefully, with an improved team, a solid draft and a more consistent running game, particularly down the stretch, he and the Jets will be able to achieve that this coming year.

Fantastic post UJG.  I also look forward to Fitz ruining the upcoming season for the small minority of Jets fans who would rather see the team lose than have Fitz prove them dead wrong once again.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Fantastic post UJG.  I also look forward to Fitz ruining the upcoming season for the small minority of Jets fans who would rather see the team lose than have Fitz prove them dead wrong once again.

You hit the nail on the head! 

I was not fond of bringing Fitz in the offseason, but he proved me wrong and I am happy to admit it. He is nothing special, but he is competent, which is better than we have had.

Many are more worried about being right, and will look for any point they can to not tarnish their interwebs reputation.

47 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

THIS definitely wins my the post of the month award!

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So you are OK with the jets never getting a chance at a franchise QB?  why not offer Brock $18M for 2 years and see if he has the right stuff? puddling in mediocrity is no way to go thru life

58 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Great post

1 minute ago, afosomf said:

So you are OK with the jets never getting a chance at a franchise QB?  why not offer Brock $18M for 2 years and see if he has the right stuff? puddling in mediocrity is no way to go thru life

So you want the Jets to lose every game they play in for years on end until they find a QB?  People like Mac and Bowles don't get to where they are in life by running around with a loser mentality.

Just now, AFJF said:

So you want the Jets to lose every game they play in for years on end until they find a QB?  People like Mac and Bowles don't get to where they are in life by running around with a loser mentality.

If the end goal is get to SB, no other choice, when is last time a team was able to get a franchise qb in FA?  Peyton Manning under very odd circumstances.  Seattle got lucky with Wilson. 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Just for s*its and giggles, check out the careers of Fitz and Rich Gannon. The light finally went on for Gannon after 11 seasons as a middling QB, at best. Who's to say it can't happen to Fitz as well? 

Geno Smith fans, obviously.

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

So one of the moves you want to do to give Fitzpatrick his big payday is to extend Ferguson .  Now not only do we have this QB on the books for big money going forward, but we now add more money to Ferguson's contract going  forward .  From bad to worse.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Just for s*its and giggles, check out the careers of Fitz and Rich Gannon. The light finally went on for Gannon after 11 seasons as a middling QB, at best. Who's to say it can't happen to Fitz as well? 

Yes! Can someone who claims the $15million can be better spent on a different QB offer up a name, please?

IMO, Fitz is our best option at being competitive in 2016 and , maybe, 2017 depending on pettys  development. 

I would love a better QB than Fitz, but, for this team right now , I don't see any out there. 

1 minute ago, Shadetree said:

Yes! Can someone who claims the $15million can be better spent on a different QB offer up a name, please?

IMO, Fitz is our best option at being competitive in 2016 and , maybe, 2017 depending on pettys  development. 

I would love a better QB than Fitz, but, for this team right now , I don't see any out there. 

NOT $15 million a season competitive the schedule is a lot tougher this season unlike last season where he only beat 2 teams with winning records. 

Just now, afosomf said:

If the end goal is get to SB, no other choice, when is last time a team was able to get a franchise qb in FA?  Peyton Manning under very odd circumstances.  Seattle got lucky with Wilson. 

Plenty of elite QBs drafted w/o asking a FO/team to lay down and throw away several seasons.  You don't have to be top three to get a QB.

Big Ben wasn't a top 10 pick

Flacco wasn't top 15 pick

Aaron Rodgers wasnt a top 20 pick

Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick

Derek Carr was a 2nd round pick

Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick

Just to name a few.

My ideal scenario, as I've stated before, would be for Fitz to be retained, draft the best QB you can, allow Petty, Geno, new QB to work behind Fitz in TC.  Cut worst of the three kids, let the other two learn from watching a vet run an offense.  Nobody gets rushed, and they have a legit mentor instead of Mark Brunell.

So tell me how what I want would prevent the Jets from getting a QB.

Archived