Olivier Vernon

AFJF

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Olivier Vernon to sign $85 million deal with Giants Wow. How much cap did they have? We don't have enough to sign the Rooks. I think D'Brick, and or Mo are out.

they have 6 months to sign the rookies.  its ok

The Giants are in desperation mode and smell very much like the old Snyder Redskins. Buying gaggles of overpriced FA's has never been a recipe for success. Wasn't this the same Vernon that was on that super front in hapless Miami with Cameron Wake and Suh? Weren't they supposed to be SB bound, per the "analysts?" Let's wait and see just how well the Giants make those pieces actually work. I'm still skeptical.

I like that we were in for Vernon, I actually think he's miscast as a 4-3 end where he's merely 'very good' but would be an absolutely top level 3-4 OLB and would be dominant in the Calvin Pace role. Also still very young and ascending player was definitely worthy of a big deal but I think we were right to bail out at 15M. It tells me Bowles and Maccagnan finally understand that you need difference makers at LB moreso than across the front 3. it tells me the Giants are batsh*t crazy especially if they are still using him as a 4-3 end.

We were even among the top 3 - or top 10 - in bidding for Vernon?

Interesting. 

Unless for some reason(s) he Jets prefer Vernon's on-field play to Mo's (and any such reasons escape me), it should clue us into some things the papers aren't reporting.

That we'd even be in the bidding should tell us one of the following things:

(1) They aren't so enamored with the idea of starting Richardson, or want to move him inside more, even when they line up 3 across, with the loss of Snacks; 

(2) They would be ok with Richardson but have reason to be more worried than the fans about an upcoming, additional suspension of more than the 4 games he's already served; 

(3) They're fine with starting Richardson but want to lock up a known quantity for more than the next 1-2 years and see Richardson as being impossible to sign when that time comes; 

(4) Mo's demands are way up there, north of $16M/season;

But with any of the above, in bidding even $10M/year for Vernon, it should also mean:

(5) They already have a trade partner lined up already for Mo. Possibly Sheldon as well. In the absence of a trade already worked out for Mo, they're running a serious risk of adding an 8-figure/year Vernon to an already overcrowded group of Mo+Williams+Sheldon (which is absurd even if they had the cap room to carry them all).

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Interesting. 

Unless for some reason(s) he Jets prefer Vernon's on-field play to Mo's (and any such reasons escape me), it should clue us into some things the papers aren't reporting.

(1) They aren't so enamored with the idea of starting Richardson, or want to move him inside more, even when they line up 3 across, with the loss of Snacks; 

(2) They would be ok with Richardson but have reason to be more worried than the fans about an upcoming, additional suspension of more than the 4 games he's already served; 

(3) They're fine with starting Richardson but want to lock up a known quantity for more than the next 1-2 years and see Richardson as being impossible to sign when that time comes; 

But with any of the above, in bidding even $10M/year for Vernon, it should also mean:

(5) They already have a trade partner lined up already for Mo. Possibly Sheldon as well. In the absence of a trade already worked out for Mo, they're running a serious risk of adding an 8-figure/year Vernon to an already overcrowded group of Mo+Williams+Sheldon (which is absurd even if they had the cap room to carry them all).

My thought was Leo/Sheldon on the ends, Simon in the middle and Vernon on the outside at LBer. And considering the money Vernon got, you've got a pretty good idea what Mo is probably looking for, and won't get from the Jets. He's as good as gone.

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Interesting. 

The optimistic angle would be that Maccagnan has a viable path to replace Fitzpatrick by trading Mo, and Vernon was going to be paid with the money saved thereby. Which leads one to believe that the QB target is either a rookie (via draft pick) or a guy on a rookie deal. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The optimistic angle would be that Maccagnan has a viable path to replace Fitzpatrick by trading Mo, and Vernon was going to be paid with the money saved thereby. Which leads one to believe that the QB target is either a rookie (via draft pick) or a guy on a rookie deal. 

080813-nfl-buccaneers-mike-glennon-br-g_

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or, they're waiting for a current back up to be released by his current team after signing Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel?

i think they are prepared to draft either paxton lynch, prescott or cook and let the draftee and the 2 qbs they have battle it out.  mccags' 2 biggest priorities are 1) not messing up the cap with stupid deals (like paying fitz 18 mil), and 2) finding a long term qb solution.  

Archived