OLB top pick?

Freemanm

Assuming we need an OLB - Honestly, I'm not a big college football guy so I wanted your opinions. How would you all assess and who should we take with #1 depending on availability? Myles Jack, UCLA, Leonard Floyd, Georgia or Darron Lee, Ohio State? I still think we should grab WR Josh Doctson if available.

Myles Jack will be long gone. I really like Floyd. Doctson is another choice.... I will sound ignorant to some but even after a rough rookie year I don't see it in Devin Smith. We absolutely NEED a good young #3 on this team.

PS. Lee is a great player with even greater character if he is on the board...I'd take him.

4 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Assuming we need an OLB - Honestly, I'm not a big college football guy so I wanted your opinions. How would you all assess and who should we take with #1 depending on availability? Myles Jack, UCLA, Leonard Floyd, Georgia or Darron Lee, Ohio State? I still think we should grab WR Josh Doctson if available.

By most reports Jack will be long gone.  Lee seems to be one of these fast hybrid style backers, opinions on Floyd vary quite a bit, very good pass rusher but super slim build and history has not been that kind to those type of guys often when getting into the NFL.  A guy that makes perhaps the most sense ability wise unfortunately has some pretty substantial character issues.  (That being Noah Spence)  There are some DE's that might be able to convert to OLB.

I'd say no lead pipe cinch we take an olb with our 1st rounder.  Though I'd certainly think we take one somewhere in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

By most reports Jack will be long gone.  Lee seems to be one of these fast hybrid style backers, opinions on Floyd vary quite a bit, very good pass rusher but super slim build and history has not been that kind to those type of guys often when getting into the NFL.  A guy that makes perhaps the most sense ability wise unfortunately has some pretty substantial character issues.  (That being Noah Spence)  There are some DE's that might be able to convert to OLB.

I'd say no lead pipe cinch we take an olb with our 1st rounder.  Though I'd certainly think we take one somewhere in the draft.

i dont think i have ever heard this phrase before

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Myles Jack will be long gone. I really like Floyd. Doctson is another choice.... I will sound ignorant to some but even after a rough rookie year I don't see it in Devin Smith. We absolutely NEED a good young #3 on this team.

PS. Lee is a great player with even greater character if he is on the board...I'd take him.

I agree with you here, yeah I know it's way too early but to me he looked far more raw than I expected, even for a rookie.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I agree with you here, yeah I know it's way too early but to me he looked far more raw than I expected, even for a rookie.

VERY raw. At least Hill caught 2 TD's lol. I understand he didn't even have a training camp but his route running looked sooo bad and he did not get off jams and press coverage almost at all..

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

I think Macc will do what he did last year and go with BPA.  He'll probably make a few trades and get us some more picks to add depth.

Agreed, Heck depending on who goes before us in the 1st round this could finally be a year of a trade down in the 1st our out of the 1st.  As a personnel guy he likes more picks so he will probably go hunting for some.

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I think Macc will do what he did last year and go with BPA.  He'll probably make a few trades and get us some more picks to add depth.

The more I look at this team, unless a huge talent falls, I hope he trades back.  They need a lot.   O Line, Linebackers especially.   More than 1 player at each.

21 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree with you on Smith, don't see his skills transferring over to the pros. I'm thinking OLB is the  obvious move but don't  be surprised if we grab a OL. And then cut one of our starters 

I am figuring take BAP for either LT or OLB that can cover and rush the passer. If it looks like one or the other like the OLB can be just as good in 2nd round take him there and take the LT in round 1. All indications thus far from our FA signings i.e loaded up on RBs and Dlineman are that we plan to be depending on the D and running game with mediocore QB play even if it is Fitz. That is why the next moves will probably be mainly OLineman and LBs inside and outside between FA and the draft. In other words to stay competitive we are building the whole rest of the team for whatever the best QB is that steps up.   

Lee, Ragland and Floyd are the guys that could be there, lee would be best in my opinion although tony Pauline said on a podcast his attitude during interviews at the combine really upset some teams.  Ragland is more like David Harris and he would be a good pick but he's not the olb we've needed for years. Floyd is interesting as well but I'm beginning to think linebacker won't be the bpa at 20. I also really like Doctson as one of my favorite players in the draft.  Hunter Henry could also be a possibility at tight end even though his stock is slipping a bit at the moment and I would think jack Conklin and Taylor decker at right tackle will be in play at out pick. If Ezekiel Elliot slips due to the devaluation of running backs he should be in play despite our recent signings.  My surprise possible pick is Ryan Kelly the center from Alabama. 

17 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I am figuring take BAP for either LT or OLB that can cover and rush the passer. If it looks like one or the other like the OLB can be just as good in 2nd round take him there and take the LT in round 1. All indications thus far from our FA signings i.e loaded up on RBs and Dlineman are that we plan to be depending on the D and running game with mediocore QB play even if it is Fitz. That is why the next moves will probably be mainly OLineman and LBs inside and outside between FA and the draft. In other words to stay competitive we are building the whole rest of the team for whatever the best QB is that steps up.   

Totally, you build the team up, so when you get that young QB, he doesn't have to do it all the first year or 2.

At 20, I haven't heard of any LT prospects that look that great.  We need depth at guard, I'm not sold on Winters, and we need a RT.   We also need ILB who can cover, an OLB who can rush the passer, a competent TE, maybe a center who can learn a year and take over for Mangold. 

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Totally, you build the team up, so when you get that young QB, he doesn't have to do it all the first year or 2.

At 20, I haven't heard of any LT prospects that look that great.  We need depth at guard, I'm not sold on Winters, and we need a RT.   We also need ILB who can cover, an OLB who can rush the passer, a competent TE, maybe a center who can learn a year and take over for Mangold. 

It's a lengthy list now.. but with good to great drafting it can be accomplished in 2 drafts or so. The LT/RT out of Michigin st. Conklin? He looks good. Taylor Decker is another nice O line prospect. As far as LB? We all know Jaylon Smith may slip. Don't see any great TE's in this draft especially not in the lower rounds. May have to take a flyer in the 5th or something.

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It's a lengthy list now.. but with good to great drafting it can be accomplished in 2 drafts or so. The LT/RT out of Michigin st. Conklin? He looks good. Taylor Decker is another nice O line prospect. As far as LB? We all know Jaylon Smith may slip. Don't see any great TE's in this draft especially not in the lower rounds. May have to take a flyer in the 5th or something.

Any team can be rebuilt with 2 good drafts.  Consequently, 2-3 bombs and you have what we have, older team that needs a lot of FA to fill holes.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

way to early to start calling Devin Smith a bust. I agree though that drafting another receiver or bringing one in via free agency would be wise just incase if both end up working out for us we have a nice depth player.

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

#WildCard!

You can get a top 5 talent.... you just don't get the benefit til next yr. and beyond. High character kid.

9 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Jack and Ragland will be taken. If they don't pick Lynch at QB than I see Lee who brings you real speed off he edge.

thanks for posting here Tony, I don't watch a lot of college ball

Is Lee the kid that is being looked at as a SS as well ass LB ?

12 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Jack and Ragland will be taken. If they don't pick Lynch at QB than I see Lee who brings you real speed off he edge.

Hey tony, any chance you can elaborate on the comment you made about darron lee upsetting teams with his attitude at the combine on the Ross tucker podcast?

If we go OLB then these are the guys I want in the 1st - Noah Spence, Emmanuel Ogbah, Kevin Dodd

Unfortunately there's a good chance all 3 will be gone by 20. If so I'd like Conklin, but I'm sure he would be gone

I wouldn't hate Ragland or Decker, but I wouldn't love it either

Lynch at 20 I could deal with even though I wouldn't take him in the 1st.

No to Lawson

Really depends on how the board plays out

I think Macc will take the safest pick.  Some people say these team is built to win now.  Others say there are many holes and it needs a roster rehab.

Even if it is built to win now, you could basically justify picking any position in the first two rounds, right?

QB-yes

RB-yes

TE-even you believe you can take them in the first round-yes

WR-yes-Marshall is getting older, and there is no real WR3.  I think Devin Smith goes down as a bust

T-yes in spades

G-preferably not in Rd 1

C-Yes-then cut Mangold early

DL-probably not, but if you assume MW and SR eventually go, can justify.  I can see this happening.

ILB-yes

OLB-yes

CB-yes  

S-yes-cut Gilcrist in 2017

Our roster is troubled.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

#WildCard!

You can get a top 5 talent.... you just don't get the benefit til next yr. and beyond. High character kid.

Smith will not play 1 down in 2016, Gurley injury was no where as severe and I believe Gurley was earlier in the season

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

thanks for posting here Tony, I don't watch a lot of college ball

Is Lee the kid that is being looked at as a SS as well ass LB ?

I like him outside rather than a safety. He is around 235 lbs but his speed around the edge and defending is what I like. Unfortunately the linebacker I wanted the most was Jaylon Smith. Heis a tackling machine and one of the 10 best players in this draft. He might on not been there anyway.

24 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Really think ogbah could be a beast and immediately contribute as a pass rusher coming off the edge next to this DL

Outside of Spence, he's quickly become my favorite pass rusher in the draft. Great size and power, moves very well for a big guy his size. Technique a little raw, but he's got tremendous upside.

Unfortunately, I don't think he makes it to 20

53 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Smith will not play 1 down in 2016, Gurley injury was no where as severe and I believe Gurley was earlier in the season

That's why I said you won't see the benefit of taking him until NEXT(2017) season.

We want a pass rusher.... unfortunately the top one's may all be gone.

Here you get a top 5 pick..... in 2017.

This will be a 2 yr. rebuild minimum. Get as much proven talent as possible.

1 hour ago, King P said:

Outside of Spence, he's quickly become my favorite pass rusher in the draft. Great size and power, moves very well for a big guy his size. Technique a little raw, but he's got tremendous upside.

Unfortunately, I don't think he makes it to 20

bowles tends to like bigger OLB's too, at least he did in AZ. just excited thought of this kid coming off the edge next to mo, that should immediately give us a legit pass rush... kind of reminds me of when SF drafted aldon smith and he was able to rack up the sacks playing with justin smith 

4 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Doctson makes very little sense for this team. Granted, Macc is a BPA type of guy, but with Marshall, Decker, Smith,  Enunwa and Forte out of the backfield do we really need another WR to play mostly on special teams for most of the year? 

Even if Doctson comes into came and looks great, he is rarely going to get touches. 

I am all for taking a WR in this draft to develop behind the vets (and as insurance in case Smith is a bust), but we don't need to take one in the 1st round when we could really use an edge rusher/ILB/CB/OL. 

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Jack will be long gone. Of the guys we'll realistically have a shot at, the pick is Lawson. Calhoun's fine in a pinch. The rest are basically useless.

Didn't Lawson get flagged for the shoulder at the combine?  From what have read, Ogbah sounds a bit stiff to play for OLB.  Do we really want another DE?

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/710487995145703425

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Sadly I think I've heard this phrase before.

Archived