How About This for a QB Option?

Warfish

1. Tell Fitz "thanks, but you're too expensive, best of luck with your next team".

2. Cut Geno Smith.

3. Draft Paxton Lynch at our pick (or trade up if absolutely required).

4. Draft Nate Sudfeld in the 7th round.

Open competition in 2016, Lynch, Petty, Sudfield.  Best player plays.

2017, draft a QB.  Worst QB of previous years trio cut.

Open competition in 2017.  Best player plays.

2018, draft a QB.  Worst QB of previous year trio cut.

Open competition in 2018.  Best player plays.

Rinse and repeat till we find a real franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Tell Fitz "thanks, but you're too expensive, best of luck with your next team".

2. Cut Geno Smith.

I like it. Both entertaining and productive.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2. Cut Geno Smith.

Yeah I'll sign up for this. 

If serious, most likely Lynch won't be there at 20 ... Please tell me that options 1& 2 do not happen before option 3 ... So at least some uncertainty about our intentions during the draft are in play

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

2. Cut Geno Smith.

I love the energy - but it's also dumb and reckless.

I'd kiss Lynch on the lips if I could, but that doesn't mean I want him out there this September. Fitz, Geno - someone who's been in the offense for a year needs to be "the guy" for a little bit. Long enough to transition, without the whole offense going "Fuuuuuuuuuu" as he learns. maybe till week 3, maybe till week 13, maybe till 2017... i dunno..

But i do know that I'm not making roster plans around Petty. Lynch vs Petty in our TC? yea... no GM'ing for you anytime soon. Petty can fck off before Geno. That or he has to beat Geno in TC first -- which by all accounts, Petty can't beat out a moth. So there's that....

Let's just agree that we need to draft "the guy" and let the rest of the QB stuff work itself out. 

Has anybody looked at the trade chart to see what it would take for PHI to trade up to the #2 spot?

(hint: they have 2 picks in the 3rd round, 2 picks in the 5th round, and 2 QBs they just signed to monster contracts....something/someone is going to shake loose).  We might see Fragile Sam or Mr. Daniel in green and white when its all said and done, and it might only cost us a mid-round pick. 

CLE gets philly picks to move down six spots (two 3's and a 5 to move down to #8), CLE trades for Mo (their high 2nd and high 3rd); Philly un-rosters a QB for a NYJ 4th round pick, cause Wentz is "the real deal". 

???

21 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Has anybody looked at the trade chart to see what it would take for PHI to trade up to the #2 spot?

(hint: they have 2 picks in the 3rd round, 2 picks in the 5th round, and 2 QBs they just signed to monster contracts....something/someone is going to shake loose).  We might see Fragile Sam or Mr. Daniel in green and white when its all said and done, and it might only cost us a mid-round pick. 

CLE gets philly picks to move down six spots (two 3's and a 5 to move down to #8), CLE trades for Mo (their high 2nd and high 3rd); Philly un-rosters a QB for a NYJ 4th round pick, cause Wentz is "the real deal". 

???

I like that better, though the only way to find a franchise qb it to draft over and over til u get lucky, id rather get bradford and hopefully petty develops, cut geno, and draft a qb in 2nd or 3rd round - maybe Christian Hackenberg or  Connor Cook

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

2. Cut Geno Smith.

Problem is, you dont have a starting caliber QB this year and worse, you risk ruining the development of all 3 QBs. Lynch, Petty, and Sudfeld are all projects who are best served riding the bench in 2016. You will be rolling the dice that you catch lightening in a bottle that one of these guys will be competent vs risk the chance of having a bad year (which you might regardless of the QB) while ruining one or 2 of these young arms (like we did with Sanchez).

Additionally you are gambling that a starting caliber QB will be available to us in the 2017 and 2018 draft

3 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

I like that better, though the only way to find a franchise qb it to draft over and over til u get lucky, id rather get bradford and hopefully petty develops, cut geno, and draft a qb in 2nd or 3rd round - maybe Christian Hackenberg or  Connor Cook

I like this plan better

8 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The players will mutiny and Brandon Marshall might go off his meds, but hey.

I'm sure they'll totally be on board. These players would love risking serious/permanent injury year after year for the Jets to hold 5-6 month long "fling mud against the wall" QB tryouts for however many seasons row it takes to work. It sounds so good on paper and works in computer simulations & Madden, so it's bound to work with real people as well. 

I can't believe no one employed in an NFL front office position ever thought of this. 

5 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

???

I don't think Two thirds and a 5th is enough for Philly to move up to number 2. I also don't think Bradford is good enough to get paid like he is and Chase Daniel is nearly 30 and has not even thrown 100 passes that counted in the NFL. Neither of them is a viable solution to the Jets quarterback issues. 

I am on board partially with the OP plan. Actually just the part where Geno is cut. The rest is pretty silly. 

I do not want to trade up for Lynch, he he falls fine, if not, draft OT in the 1st and LB in the 2nd to keep the rest of the team competitive

Then you can pick 2 QB's in 3-7 and play the find a franchise game

Now that we have seen the schedule, the Jets should sign a vet for the first 6 games,  Foles will get cut at some point, maybe he can be coached  

To be honest I like any scenario where we have an identified franchise QB. If Lynch is the guy we go for then I'm all in - You don't draft another QB high in 2017 though - Even if Lynch bombs initially - If you've invested a first in him, you have to invest the time. 

If we draft Lynch I think ideally  you'd try and get Fitz back (for significantly less than he's asking or GTFO) and this is the only scenario where I wouldn't even hate Hoyer or McCown. Basically I'd like a vet on board just in case it would all be a bit too much for Lynch - You don't want to traumatise him either, especially in those first 7 games. I think he'd get more from working/competing with a veteran than Geno, who I just don't see us going back to in any meaningful way. 

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

2. Cut Geno Smith.

I like your theory, but I think you are going to have to be Yoda to see it through.:D

49 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

To be honest I like any scenario where we have an identified franchise QB. If Lynch is the guy we go for then I'm all in - You don't draft another QB high in 2017 though - Even if Lynch bombs initially - If you've invested a first in him, you have to invest the time. 

If we draft Lynch I think ideally  you'd try and get Fitz back (for significantly less than he's asking or GTFO) and this is the only scenario where I wouldn't even hate Hoyer or McCown. Basically I'd like a vet on board just in case it would all be a bit too much for Lynch - You don't want to traumatise him either, especially in those first 7 games. I think he'd get more from working/competing with a veteran than Geno, who I just don't see us going back to in any meaningful way. 

But what about Geno's veteran guidance while Lynch is holding a clipboard?

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

2. Cut Geno Smith.

Why cut Geno though? The coaching staff might think he is better than Petty right now.

6 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

???

Looking now...

Cleveland #2 = 2600

vs

Philadelphia #8 = 1400

Philadelphia #77 = 205

Philadelphia #79 = 195

Philadelphia #153 = 30

Philadelphia total = 1830. This is only enough (on paper) to move up to #4 and they can keep their 5th rounder.

If Philadelphia was at all serious about trading up to #1 (or #2) for just those picks, then a player or two would have to be involved.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

2. Cut Geno Smith.

Sign me up Fish however Patrick Ramsey is still younger then Brady..;)

I'm not sold that PHI or SF will draft a QB at 7 and 8 if Goff and Wentz are off the board. There is just way too much talent on the board that high for a tam to take a gamble on Lynch. Both teams also have interim QBs- even though they may not like them very much. Its just too early to take Lynch at 7 or 8- IMO, for any team, and this includes the Browns. Mac is not the only GM that likes to draft BPA early. So, if you are PHI or SF- you trade UP for Wentz or Goff. If you trade DOWN it will probably be to get Lynch later in the 1st.

I believe the Jets will need to move up to at least 15 (via Titans) to secure Lynch. Sure, he can fall to 20. And he could even fall to 31 where the Broncos will probably scoop him up (past 8, other than the Jets there are really no teams desperate for a QB). BUT- I can guarantee that a team will MOVE up to get Lynch if he falls out of the top 10. When he ends up getting taken and what team ends up moving up to get him is anybody's guess. But if the Jets really like him, I believe they will need to move up a few spots to secure him. Purely as a prospect, Lynch is not a top 20 pick. He is worth a late 1st rounder at most, but probably is more of a 2nd round pick. But because he is a QB and there are a number of teams high in the draft that need a young QB to possibly develop into a Franchise guy, his stock has soared. Just the possibility of a team taking him in the top 10 will make teams willing to trade up into the teens to get a shot at him, if he ends up sliding out of the top 10.   

Also, this whole notion of throwing rookie QBs year after year into the starting role to see if they sink or swim and tanking with the hope of drafting more QBs early is so ridiculous and silly that I couldn't tell if it was serious or a joke. You're joking, right? Right?   

Archived