Sam Bradford: I'm just going to put this here.

Integrity28

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Thought it was the 7 mil for this season and 4 in guaranteed money next season if you dumped him.  

If you're right that's a big difference if he fails.

Yeah. $7M + $4M = $11M. What's the difference if $4M is pushed to next year? We'd still be paying $11M for 1 year of Bradford. That's IF he doesn't get injured. If he does, then another $4M gets guaranteed. In other words, $15M guaranteed for 1 year. 

Thats where the $26M total guaranteed came from in his deal. 

$22M fully guaranteed ($11M SB, $7M salary, $4M next yr)

$26M total guaranteed (the above plus another $4M of 2017 salary gets guaranteed as well)

Plus a draft pick to get him in the first place. Lol.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah. $7M + $4M = $11M. What's the difference if $4M is pushed to next year? We'd still be paying $11M for 1 year of Bradford. That's IF he doesn't get injured. If he does, then another $4M gets guaranteed. In other words, $15M guaranteed for 1 year. 

Thats where the $26M total guaranteed came from in his deal. 

$22M fully guaranteed ($11M SB, $7M salary, $4M next yr)

$26M total guaranteed (the above plus another $4M of 2017 salary gets guaranteed as well)

Plus a draft pick to get him in the first place. Lol.

Will be interesting to see if he's willing to redo his deal to a team that trades for him. 

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Sam Bradford is a QB that could win you a Superbowl. For anyone into metrics and that has followed the most accurate QB/Least interceptable QB's Sam Bradford has been top 3-5 in the league the last few years with some sh*tty WR's. 

On the contrast Ryan Fitzpatrick was one of the worst last year. 

Getting Sam Bradford would be like the Cardinals getting Carson Palmer except Bradford is only 28. If we get this guy and he's healthy expect a legit contender and All pro upside at QB right away. Because if Fitzpatrick can get 30 TD's Bradford can put up ridiculous numbers in this offense without the turnovers. He could be a homerun for Mac and Bowles. 

Just to follow this up with links/stats- Bradford absolutely seems like the perfect QB for Denver and I would much rather end up with Paxton Lynch bc of Bradford's injuries. I don't think the Jets will trade for him as we don't have extra draft picks but if we were to land him alot of people are underestimating him. 

However for those that are into statistics: 

Bradford had 532 attempts last year with a completion percentage of 65%. 19 TD's and 14 TD's in 14 games. 3725 Yards. 

-In this guys statistics Bradford was the most accurate QB in the NFL with 83% of his passes being on the mark. 

-He threw 12 Interceptable passes all season which was 3rd in the NFL. (Had some flukes where the ball bounced off his guy). 

-He lost 55 completions on accurate throws that his WR"s messed up/dropped. Think about how crappy those WR's were - Matthews there best guy was terrible. 

http://presnapreads.com/2016/02/21/sam-bradford-sample-the-pre-snap-reads-quarterback-catalogue-2016/

Ofcourse take some of the above statistics with a grain of salt as many are in the eye of the beholder but Bradford's accuracy and passing ability has always been praised. If we are in a situation on day 2 of the draft and lets say the Browns took lynch and Hackenberg/Cook are gone Bradford is going to look mighty good especially with that cheap contract.( Remember Backups get 7m now and Guys like Fitzpatrick want 15-18m yearly). 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No. That $7M + $4M is for ONE year. And it might be more than that for 1 year.

It's (effectively):

$11M for 1 year (MINIMUM amount guaranteed for 1 yr of play).

$13M more for 1 additional year ($4M guaranteed is not optional)

The reason it's MINIMUM is if he gets seriously hurt again then add another $4M guaranteed for playing for us in 2016

Don't look at it as 2016 cap hits or 2017 cap hits. It's just total cap hits. 

If he miraculously gets injured badly again he would get $15M just for the 2016 season (if we cut him before 2017). Oh yeah, plus a draft pick.

This can't be right.

The Eagles gave him 11 mil as a signing bonus which they are locked into for the 2016 season if he's traded . His 2016 salary is another 7 mil which the team he is traded too would be locked into . His guaranteed money for 2017 is 4 mil which comes to your 22 mil . I believe the other 4 mil you're referring to is what is left as his 2017 salary which is not guaranteed .

Yes, If Bradford got injured in 2016, he would have made 18 mil for 1 season. The difference is the eagles would be responsible for 11 mil of that .

But since I am not a lawyer, I am probably wrong .  That is my understanding base on what was said on Path to the draft .

9 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Just to follow this up with links/stats- Bradford absolutely seems like the perfect QB for Denver and I would much rather end up with Paxton Lynch bc of Bradford's injuries. I don't think the Jets will trade for him as we don't have extra draft picks but if we were to land him alot of people are underestimating him. 

Bradford had 532 attempts last year with a completion percentage of 65%. 19 TD's and 14 TD's in 14 games. 3725 Yards. 

-In this guys statistics Bradford was the most accurate QB in the NFL with 83% of his passes being on the mark. 

-He threw 12 Interceptable passes all season which was 3rd in the NFL. (Had some flukes where the ball bounced off his guy). 

-He lost 55 completions on accurate throws that his WR"s messed up/dropped. Think about how crappy those WR's were - Matthews there best guy was terrible. 

http://presnapreads.com/2016/02/21/sam-bradford-sample-the-pre-snap-reads-quarterback-catalogue-2016/

Ofcourse take some of the above statistics with a grain of salt as many are in the eye of the beholder but Bradford's accuracy and passing ability has always been praised. If we are in a situation on day 2 of the draft and lets say the Browns took lynch and Hackenberg/Cook are gone Bradford is going to look mighty good especially with that cheap contract. 

Sam Bradford is by far a better QB option than Fitzpatrick or Hoyer and it's not even debatable. He's also younger .  You just have to keep him healthy.

6 hours ago, drdetroit said:

He has $26 million guaranteed what kind of paycut are we talking about?  $10 mil?

No idea. Could be a total rework of the contract for all we know. I'm just mentioning it, not so much advocating for it. I'm a fan of Sam's but it would be something I'd reaaaaaally have to think about before being ok with it as a fan (not like that matters much, but still.)

25 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Ofcourse take some of the above statistics with a grain of salt as many are in the eye of the beholder but Bradford's accuracy and passing ability has always been praised. If we are in a situation on day 2 of the draft and lets say the Browns took lynch and Hackenberg/Cook are gone Bradford is going to look mighty good especially with that cheap contract.( Remember Backups get 7m now and Guys like Fitzpatrick want 15-18m yearly). 

Eagles also led the league in dropped passes last season 

32 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This can't be right.

The Eagles gave him 11 mil as a signing bonus which they are locked into for the 2016 season if he's traded . His 2016 salary is another 7 mil which the team he is traded too would be locked into . His guaranteed money for 2017 is 4 mil which comes to your 22 mil . I believe the other 4 mil you're referring to is what is left as his 2017 salary which is not guaranteed .

Yes, If Bradford got injured in 2016, he would have made 18 mil for 1 season. The difference is the eagles would be responsible for 11 mil of that .

But since I am not a lawyer, I am probably wrong .  That is my understanding base on what was said on Path to the draft .

Tinstar, I think you are right except that his $4 mil roster bonus becomes guaranteed in March 2017.  So, if traded, Eagles are on the hook for $11 mil, and the Jets would be paying him $7 mil this year.  Next year his salary is $13 mil and if he still on the roster in March 2017, he would receive an extra $4 mil, which the Jets would be responsible for.

The benefit to guaranteed salary for the team is that is lessens the dead money from bonuses in the later years of a contract making it cost effective to cut a player in the 3rd year and beyond of most contracts. It is also a useful tool in negotiations to work out more favorable terms with a player since you are guaranteeing money rather than just protecting it with dead money. Also, unlike signing bonuses, there is no dead money that remains on your team if you trade a player. In a trade in the NFL all signing bonus money accelerates onto the cap of the team trading the player, just like as if the player was cut. The guaranteed salary simply transfers to the new team. - Jason Fitzgerald, overthecap.com, http://overthecap.com/a-guide-to-the-nfl-salary-cap/

22 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Bottom line, in 6 years he never won more than 7 games in a season and was never worth a #1 pick or the salary bracket it puts him in. 

Not only that but he was on some pretty good teams in St Louis.  He was on a team last season that should have won the horrible NFC East yet didn't come close.  Sam Bradford a loser.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

What I've learned in this thread is that about 4 people have watched Sam Bradford play in an NFL football competition.

Assuming you already knew that some people just like to light the barn on fire with the cows still in it?

39 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No idea. Could be a total rework of the contract for all we know. I'm just mentioning it, not so much advocating for it. I'm a fan of Sam's but it would be something I'd reaaaaaally have to think about before being ok with it as a fan (not like that matters much, but still.)

The most Bradford might be willing to accept is $2-4 million and that's not enough for the jets to fit him under the cap.  That contract is too crazy even if we massively restructure it.

And he sucks to and is always injured.  I know there are posters here who still think Bradford as good.  How that's even possible I don't know but even the biggest Sam Bradford fans have to admit he is insanely injury prone.

I originally thought the entire 11 mil signing bonus would be paid by the Eagles but maybe it's split into two seasons http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/sam-bradford/ Not sure I'm reading this right but if so he is due a fortune in 2017 and if that's the case I wouldn't make any kind of a deal for him. If you could get him for 11 mil per then I'd do it so correct me if I'm wrong about this. If the Jets traded for him how much do we pay?

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I originally thought the entire 11 mil signing bonus would be paid by the Eagles but maybe it's split into two seasons http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/sam-bradford/ Not sure I'm reading this right but if so he is due a fortune in 2017 and if that's the case I wouldn't make any kind of a deal for him. If you could get him for 11 mil per then I'd do it so correct me if I'm wrong about this. If the Jets traded for him how much do we pay?

Yeah I mean how is the restructure supposed to work?  Is Bradford's 2 year deal going to be spread out over the next 50 years?

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

The most Bradford might be willing to accept is $2-4 million and that's not enough for the jets to fit him under the cap.  That contract is too crazy even if we massively restructure it.

And he sucks to and is always injured.  I know there are posters here who still think Bradford as good.  How that's even possible I don't know but even the biggest Sam Bradford fans have to admit he is insanely injury prone.

How is his contract too crazy . The Jets supposedly have an offer on the table to Fitzpatrick somewhere north of the 7 mil that the Jets would be responsible for next season if they traded for Bradford .

The kid is 5 years younger, has a much better arm and is way better at protecting the football than Fitzpatrick has ever been including last year his record setting year . The only issue here is the compensation . If the Jets can move Wilkerson for at least 2  2nd round picks, I make this trade in a heart beat .  

12 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I'd love someone to go back to when we signed Fitz what your reactions were...just curious.

9 News Denver's Mike Klis reports the Broncos inquired about Sam Bradford.

Klis reports the Eagles' asking price was too high, but the report at least suggests Philadelphia is open to offers. Agent Tom Condon said Bradford has not been granted permission to seek a trade, but that could change if he continues to sulk. Condon confirmed Bradford plans to skip the voluntary portions of the offseason program.

Something about Bradford just p*$$es me off ... He's got kind of that "deer in the headlights" look to him ... Which makes me feel more like wanting to punch him in the face than to cheer for him ... Admit I didn't watch much of him last season so he may have shown improvement ... I just figured he was on IR

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

This can't be right.

Nope.

The $4M after this year (after his first $18M has been paid) is fully guaranteed, which means he gets it no matter what. If he gets injured he gets ANOTHER $4M guaranteed. That $4M (or $8M) he gets even if he's cut. If kept, that $4M (or ($8M) isn't a factor because it's part of his $17M total compensation for 2017 anyway. 

• $11M signing bonus
  • $7M first year guaranteed salary
  • $4M guaranteed salary in year 2 even if cut (which becomes $8M guaranteed if he's injured in 2016, and they're deciding whether to keep or cut him for 2017). 

There's your $22M fully guaranteed, and $26M of total guarantees, on his 2 year $35M contract. 

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the first fully guaranteed $4M is technical roster bonus or salary, but it makes no difference if he's cut right away next year. I've seen it written as guaranteed salary not guaranteed bonus. It's only a factor if he's paid his roster bonus and then they cut him, he could then say he's still owed another $4M of guaranteed "salary" that hasn't been paid yet. It's a distinction without a difference as a practical matter, though, because it wouldn't happen; if they paid the roster bonus, in that scenario, it means they did so with the intention of keeping him for the upcoming season anyway. 

It is completely mind boggling that anyone could actually watch Bradford play and think good QB. Fitz is a JAG but he is much better than Bradford. Bradford is terrible. He is not good, and does not look good on the field and he is ultra fragile. the anti-Favre. He has a career 81 QB rating.and a very low YPA. Fitz is basically the same. There is NO upside to Bradford. None. He is a chicken in the pocket, throws a terrible long ball, is made of paper maiche and is the single most overrated and overpaid player, not just QB, in NFL history. Hard PASS

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Contract should not be an issue.  Phily has already paid his $11 million signing bonus, that would not impact cap of a team acquiring him.  Team trading for him would only be on the hook for his $7 million guaranteed salary for 2016.  He has a $4MM roster bonus next season, but his $13MM salary in 2017 is not guaranteed.

Exactly, and we ain't gonna sign Fitz for $7mill..and if he works out, $13 million for next season is not unreasonable.

The most unreasonable thing about Bradford's contract was his $11 mill SB, which the Eagles are on the hook for, not the team he is traded to.

The Jets are not getting more than a 2nd for Wilkerson, probably a 3rd at best...so, trade him to Philly for Bradford and a  late round pick and save Fitz's $10 million against the cap.

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Exactly, and we ain't gonna sign Fitz for $7mill..and if he works out, $13 million for next season is not unreasonable.

The most unreasonable thing about Bradford's contract was his $11 mill SB, which the Eagles are on the hook for, not the team he is traded to.

The Jets are not getting more than a 2nd for Wilkerson, probably a 3rd at best...so, trade him to Philly for Bradford and a  late round pick and save Fitz's $10 million against the cap.

Jets should receive a 3rd round comp pick if they let Wilkerson walk

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It is completely mind boggling that anyone could actually watch Bradford play and think good QB. Fitz is a JAG but he is much better than Bradford. Bradford is terrible. He is not good, and does not look good on the field and he is ultra fragile. the anti-Favre. He has a career 81 QB rating.and a very low YPA. Fitz is basically the same. There is NO upside to Bradford. None. He is a chicken in the pocket, throws a terrible long ball, is made of paper maiche and is the single most overrated and overpaid player, not just QB, in NFL history. Hard PASS

I'm not advocating for Bradford, but comparing their career QB ratings is silly. Put Fitz on the field for the WR-less Bradford Rams, instead of 3rd string holding a clipboard & running the practice squad for his first 3 seasons, and tell me with a straight face his "career QB rating" isn't lower. Particularly if you only count the first 6 (5) years of one, but the experienced veteran years of the other. Look at Fitzpatrick's QBR & other stats just through 2011 and then compare if you want to make it apples and apples. 68:65 ratio, 75 QBR, 50 fewer ypg, and an INT% some 60% higher (3.7% vs 2.3%).

That said, the ludicrous contract the Eagles gave him was on par with the tragic extension we gave Sanchez.  

19 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Casserly is awesome.  On NFL Network he said if the Eagles want Mo, they should give up Bradford and a 1st.  Not swapping 1s, just giving us their 1, so we'd have two 1st rounders.

Sign me up for that!

I don't think the Eagles want mo, it sounds like they are preparing to pay fletcher cox $100M+

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fitzpatrick >>> Bradford.  Bradford is a pu$$y in the pocket.  Not really his fault, as he got David Carr'd his first few years in St. Louis, but he's complete damaged goods at this point.  He's not worth $12M or even $7-8M.  If Philly finds no trade partners and is forced to cut him loose, now you're talking.  But not a moment before then. 

THIS !!!

49 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Bradford actually has pretty good pocket presence, he doesn't get happy feet and abandon the play when his first read isn't open. The issue with Bradford is the injuries... He's got talent but he's useless if he can't get on the field. The people who think fitz is a better player have no idea what they are watching

52 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Jets should receive a 3rd round comp pick if they let Wilkerson walk

Depending on what else they sign next year with a fair amount of cap room that is.

Bradford was the typical 1st round pick thrown immediately into the starters role on a bad team.  Personally I think he made major strides when on the field last year.  Not that I'd give him $20 mill guaranteed, but the Eagles have already paid for the majority of that. Is he the answer? I have my doubts, but he has a hell of a lot more upside than Fitz, even as a backup.

10 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Bradford actually has pretty good pocket presence, he doesn't get happy feet and abandon the play when his first read isn't open. The issue with Bradford is the injuries... He's got talent but he's useless if he can't get on the field. The people who think fitz is a better player have no idea what they are watching

That guy ate the Jets defense alive last year .  If it were not for the terrible Eagles receivers dropping TDs, we would have been even more embarrassed . Game also displayed all of Fitzpatrick's shortcomings .

Archived