New Orleans Saints in play for Paxton Lynch?

BurnleyJet

If true the Jets will have to be in love with Lynch to move to a postion to draft him.

New Orleans Saints in play for Paxton Lynch?

Two days away from the 2016 NFL Draft, the Saints have emerged as a team with plenty of interest in landing a promising rookie quarterback.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that New Orleans staged internal talks about moving up to No. 1 before the Los Angeles Rams swung a monster deal with the Titans for the first overall pick. The terms of that swap proved too costly for the Saints, but could they have their eye on Paxton Lynch out of Memphis?

"If they feel strongly about Paxton Lynch, they are a team to watch late in the Top 10," Rapoport tweeted.

Armed with the No. 12 overall pick, the Saints sit in solid position to move up if they believe the 49ers (at No. 7) or Browns (at No. 8) could jump on Lynch come Thursday night.

NFL Media draft expert and former league scout Daniel Jeremiah also sees New Orleans addressing their depth under center, matching Lynch with the Saints at No. 12 in his latest mock draft.

"(Quarterback) Drew Brees isn't going to play forever and (coach) Sean Payton just signed a long-term extension," Jeremiah wrote. "He needs to start planning for the future and I'm not sure (second-year passer) Garrett Grayson is the answer."

Grayson was selected in the third round of last year's draft, but didn't see a single attempt behind Brees, who told NFL HQ on Tuesday: "I definitely feel like I've got quite a few more (years) but I'm taking it one year at a time because as you know, you've got to prove it every year."

The Saints have been looking for a young signal-caller to groom dating back to 2014. Rapoport suggested two Novembers ago that the team was thinking about using a high pick on a quarterback last year. If they don't believe Grayson can serve as the rightful heir to Brees, Lynch could be the answer to that quest.

In his fascinating annual look at the quarterback prospects, Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel heard plenty of praise from scouts about Lynch's potential.

"He's the guy I like," one scout said. "He's got the poise, the vision. You can see what Memphis has done since he's been there. Guy beat Mississippi and put Memphis on the map. Good athlete. Got all the things I look for in a guy."

While a second scout called Lynch "a ways away mentally," a third scout summed up the risk-and-reward proposition: "You might hit the home run with Lynch but because of the mental you might strike out. He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different."

The opinion that matters most in this corner of the universe is Payton's. If the Saints coach believes Lynch can keep the operation moving for years to come in New Orleans, moving up to grab him makes a ton of sense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000656075/article/new-orleans-saints-in-play-for-paxton-lynch

1 minute ago, faba said:

If the Jets want him they will have to move up- teams are desperate for QB answers that will take a shot with him before 20

Exactly, he's got tools but he's very raw. It depends how much the Jets want him? 

Do they rate him a top ten pick, because that's where they may have to move up to get him.

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Exactly, he's got tools but he's very raw. It depends how much the Jets want him?

Do they rate him a top ten pick, because that's where they may have to move up to get him.

I might add we might be in the category as desperate for QB answers- hah

It just pisses me off when teams with great QBs have the vision to plan for the future yet we can't seem to manage our current year QB issues, let alone solve the position for years to come.

It makes sense for a team like the Saints, Cowboys, Cardinals to go for a guy like Lynch.  Sure, they're trying to win now and it's tough to justify using a first rd pick on a guy that's gonna sit on the bench for a few years.  However, these teams have older QB's and should start thinking about the next guy.  Everything you read on Lynch is he has a ton of upside but is gonna need some time to sit and learn the NFL.  That's why I'm not sure he makes sense for the Jets.  The first time Fitz (or whoever our QB is) throws an INT fans are gonna be yelling to bring him in.  The teams mentioned have clear cut veteran Pro Bowl starting QB's leaving time for him to develop properly.  

I like Lynch, I would like to draft him, under some very limited circumstances I would pick him after a trade up.  However in no way shape or form do I want to go to great lengths to get him.  There is a point were we need to walk away and pick the player that falls to us.

22 minutes ago, Pcola said:

It just pisses me off when teams with great QBs have the vision to plan for the future yet we can't seem to manage our current year QB issues, let alone solve the position for years to come.

THIS!  Completely agree.  The Jets need to climb up the ladder into the top 10 of the draft and go and get a QB if they think one of them can be a franchise QB. 

51 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Let 'em have him.  Send the Jets Drew Brees for a 2nd and 4th.

Yes, let's trade valuable assets for a 37 year old quarterback who plays his home games in a dome and costs 20 million against the salary cap. It would be like Brett Favre, but probably worse.

57 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

Who ever wants him will need to get in front of #8.

Daniel Jeremiah mocked Lynch to the Saints...If the Saints like him, and if the 9ers, and Cowboys also like him then the Saints may want to move up to get him. 

The Saints tried to move up for Goff, Wentz so they obviously they may might want to draft Lynch

This is all made up non sense, or smoke screen.  Nobody is telling the truth 2 days before the draft.  The Saints are probably trying to drum up some paranoia from teams later in Rd 1 so they can get a trade partner if Lynch is still on the board.  

I don't think Lynch goes till KC at the earliest, unless a team with an early 2nd trades back into the 2nd round.  Lynch is NOT an immediate answer for 2016 so teams needing a 2016 QB are not drafting him, and teams who can afford to let him sit are not gonna take him higher than his true value.

Lynch will be this years Geno Smith.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This is all made up non sense, or smoke screen.  Nobody is telling the truth 2 days before the draft.  The Saints are probably trying to drum up some paranoia from teams later in Rd 1 so they can get a trade partner if Lynch is still on the board.  

I don't think Lynch goes till KC at the earliest, unless a team with an early 2nd trades back into the 2nd round.  Lynch is NOT an immediate answer for 2016 so teams needing a 2016 QB are not drafting him, and teams who can afford to let him sit are not gonna take him higher than his true value.

Lynch will be this years Geno Smith.

The Saints didn't even mention Lynch at all. This is pure speculation based on the fact that they tried to trade up for a different QB.

If you take Lynch in the top 15 and he fails you're setting back your franchise and probably getting yourself fired.

If you're already on the bubble you won't take Lynch who is not ready to start, and if you're solid then you don't want to take the risk. He'll go second half of the 1st at the earliest. 

Geno Smith was the perfect example. 

Both the Bears and Saints brought Lynch in for a visit yet the Niners did not.  I don't Cle is considering a QB with eyes on Watson next year.

So the Niners are rumored to be trying to move down and Mo said he would love to play for the Niners.  I would think Mo and 20 for #7 is pretty close in value.  We would still have our 2nd which we could grab one of the tackles or move down again to add picks in the 5 & 6.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes, let's trade valuable assets for a 37 year old quarterback who plays his home games in a dome and costs 20 million against the salary cap. It would be like Brett Favre, but probably worse.y

Your point about age and cap numbers are noted, and valid.

However, I object to the valuable assets statement.   The Jets have drafted what, like one good player in the 2nd round (David Harris) in the last 3 decades?  And Brett Favre balled out with the Vikes to an NFC Title game, and a healthy shoulder, the year after the Jets... until that dreadful cross his body INT anyway.

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

THIS!  Completely agree.  The Jets need to climb up the ladder into the top 10 of the draft and go and get a QB if they think one of them can be a franchise QB. 

NO is in a perfect situation where they don't have to give up anything, or much to get Lynch, and can properly sit him for the next 2 years.  If we move up to draft Lynch you really gonna be content with Geno starting while LyNch develops?  Personally I disagree with trading up for a guy considered a "project". 

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Your point about age and cap numbers are noted, and valid.

However, I object to the valuable assets statement.   The Jets have drafted what, like one good player in the 2nd round (David Harris) in the last 3 decades?  And Brett Favre balled out with the Vikes to an NFC Title game, and a healthy shoulder, the year after the Jets... until that dreadful cross his body INT anyway.

Fair enough on the 2nd round draft picks, but I have more faith in MM than past GMs. That said, does Drew Brees in New York in December give you any type of faith that it's a playoff team or a Super Bowl contender?

11 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Both the Bears and Saints brought Lynch in for a visit yet the Niners did not.  I don't Cle is considering a QB with eyes on Watson next year.

So the Niners are rumored to be trying to move down and Mo said he would love to play for the Niners.  I would think Mo and 20 for #7 is pretty close in value.  We would still have our 2nd which we could grab one of the tackles or move down again to add picks in the 5 & 6.

So you're going to give all that up (and no, Mo and 20 is probably not as close as you think) to draft Lynch and then sit him for the next year or 2?

13 minutes ago, Pcola said:

i think if the jets really, really want lynch they'll have to deal with SF to jump cleveland.  i believe cleveland will take him and sit him.  

32 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fair enough on the 2nd round draft picks, but I have more faith in MM than past GMs. That said, does Drew Brees in New York in December give you any type of faith that it's a playoff team or a Super Bowl contender?

I believe in Brees a heckuva lot more than Fitz, and I like Fitz. 

And while I am very happy with Mac so far, his intial 2nd round pick was a guy I hated heading into the draft.  Devin Smith.  A one-route pony and doesn't fight for the ball in the air to boot.

And I also hate Paxton Lynch.  Late 2nd or 3rd round prospect for me.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

So you're going to give all that up (and no, Mo and 20 is probably not as close as you think) to draft Lynch and then sit him for the next year or 2?

Yeah.  If Lynch's head is in the right place, which from what I have read, he is ultra competitive, he will be worth it.  There are plenty of examples where QBs sat for 2 seasons and were legit.  Rodgers comes to mind.  

SF played it safe and took Smith.  You had another two dozen or so teams that were afraid to go out on a limb to take Rodgers, despite knowing that more than half the guys in the first round would eventually bust anyway.  

so we can play it safe with guys like Lloyd (who probably has a bust potential much higher) or Spence (which comes with a huge risk of its own) or take a WR that won't make an impact for a couple of seasons (similar to Lynch) because of Marshall and Decker?

I know we need a LT.  But with Conklin rumored to be gone in the top ten along with Tunsil and Stanley, are we to expect Indy, Det, Atl, etc to pass on Decker?

It is what it is.  More than half of the first round won't be worth their 5th year option.  Play it safe so we can continue with the non-playoff run that is currently sitting at 5 years, longest since Kotite BTW, or take a shot on a guy who has all the physical tools to exceed everyone else in this draft class.  

Archived