The Lee pick reminds me of

k-met57

40 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

He will be a blessing when it comes to those fast and shifty rb's we will face this year along with those scrambling qbs ( im looking at your wilson and taylor).

The memories of being torched by TE's comes from rex's time here. I do not remember being dominated by a TE last year besides Gronk, but he dominate everyone.

Once the Jets got burned deep by teams like Oak and Hou the secondary adjusted and that exposed the weakness at LB due to lack of speed. The DL here is brutal as the run can be stopped. The pass D was exposed. The last game was a microcosm of how slow the Jets were at LB

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

If we could have gotten a really good starter in free agency we would have, considering this is a huge gap for us. The biggest blown plays we have had recently have been because our LB are slow and can't cover RB's catching the ball, QB's rolling out etc...

Don't discount that the name of the game with Lee is speed. Its really hard to get a veteran in free agency who doesn't have wear and tear on him and isn't starting to slow down. You want young explosive kids at your speed positions.

Also Vilma was not overrated, but you can make the Curtis Martin argument with him I guess. To each their own.

Uh, yes we could have. Trevathan was a free agent and signed with Chicago for 4 yrs $25M or something. And Trevathan was a 5th rounder himself. Brandon Marshall was a 6th rounder. And Vilma was most definitely overrated, as was Martin, in terms of asset allocation, but that's another discussion.

Back on topic, the "biggest blown plays we have had recently" screams of this being a need pick not BAP or MVP (most valuable pick). You fill niche needs like that in free agency, and at ILB they are available & aren't too expensive either. Even overpaying for re-signing our own ILB in Harris wasn't a bank-breaker.

Middle of the first round you take a guy who would cost you $15M/year to replace in free agency not $6M. Particularly on the heels of taking the other cheapest defensive position in mid-round 1 just 2 years ago. 

Draft the expensive players. Fill the cheaper ones in free agency. We are doing it backwards: signing expensive veteran CBs, QBs, WRs, OTs to $$$ deals and using our 1st round picks on cheap FA/veteran positions (ILB, S) or redundant positions (DE-DT) that we have already filled with 1st rounders. 

1 hour ago, bergenjets said:

How long have the Jets been getting torched in the slot/by TEs. It's about time they did something about it.

This is reaching. A 6'1" LB against a 6'5" or taller  TE even if he isn't named Gronk is really not a pleasant thought. Didn't see any highlights of Lee covering a TE. Willing to be wrong, but the height thing covering TEs is gonna be an issue,not s strength. FO is defending this pick b/c Lee can cover RBs, not TEs. 

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

John Vilma

Polarizing pick in terms of fan reaction. Turned out to be a great pick at 12.

We badly needed some speed and coverage ability between the DL and the back end. Now lets go get some OL help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall Vilma being a polarizing pick, I could be mistaken since it's 12 years ago but I remember everyone wanting Vilma(or most people).

1 hour ago, afosomf said:

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Quick to diagnose and flow to the ball. Has unusual ability to find the most efficient routes to the ball. Has athleticism and flexibility to contort his body and succeed through difficult tackle angles. Plays with loose hips, quick feet and desired agility of an NFL weak-side linebacker. Former high school quarterback with the change of direction and speed to be a rangy playmaker. Comfortable in space and excels there. Has plus man cover talent. Willing to stand in and take on blockers with a leveraged strike if his gap is being threatened. Capable gap blitzer with ability to get skinny through the holes.

WEAKNESSES

Smallish linebacker. Play strength doesn't come close to matching puffed up listed weight. Balance issues at point of attack could plague him over his NFL career. Has the body type of a big safety. Tape shows few authoritative tackles. Involved in too many arm and shoestring tackles. Comes flying in and fails to come to balance at times. Charged with 21 missed and five broken tackles over the last two seasons. Always at size disadvantage and will have to learn to slip more blocks. Can get better at finding targets in zone coverage.

NFL COMPARISON

Zach Brown

BOTTOM LINE

Lee's level of NFL success might very well be tied to scheme fit and his ability to add more muscle to his frame. His athletic traits and ability to make plays should make him a starter, but he won't unlock his full potential unless he gets strong enough to handle the rigors of an NFL linebacker.

Mother of God... That Maccagnan is a secret genius... We just got our franchise quarterback and didn't even realize it. 

982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Reminds me of picking Calvin Pryor with Derek Carr and Bridgewater still on the board.

On the entire defensive side of the ball, run-stopping safety and ILB have got to be the 2 least costly positions to adequately fill via free agency. So what do we do, draft them with 2 of our last 3 first draft picks. The one in between is the same position we'd drafted with 3 of our prior 4 first round picks.

And then we wonder why we have holes at expensive positions, necessitating veteran FA contracts or trades for veterans: CBx3 last year, OTx2, OG, and still have a hole at QB and at outside pass rusher, since good ones don't typically shake loose in FA in the first place. 

Safety and ILB in the first round. Freaking Pittsburgh has the luxury of doing this in the middle of round 1 because Pittsburgh has Ben Roethlisberger. They can afford to be surgical and use 1st round picks on safer niche players. You want Daryl Washington, then draft him in round 2. Even with Washington, though, they still need Carson Palmer or they're a 5-8 win team again.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Vilma was neither a great pick nor a great player. He was one of the most overrated players we've had in the past 20 years. Hopefully this kid doesn't get blown up & taken out of plays by lone fullbacks, or dragged past the first down marker while still getting credit for his precious tackle stat.

I'm sure Lee will be a solid player at worst. It's the position that I object to. ILB is a position we could get a really good starter in free agency for the same or less than we gave to Skrine (or Harris, for that matter). Then use the 1st round pick on the type of player that (in his prime) never reaches free agency (or if he does, he costs twice that or more). 

understandable. 

12 minutes ago, kmnj said:

reminds me of D smith-fast with flaws that will be exposed in the pro game-he will bust out just like I said d smith would

Its moronic to conclude that D Smith is a bust after 1 incomplete year.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ray Lewis was undersized.

The 5'11' to 6'1" guys who typically play ILB well are thick-Ray Lewis, Harry Carson, Mike Singletary (or merely  okay like Vilma). Lee isn't remotely built like that. Someone posted a strengths/weaknesses calling him "rangy" but said scout who wrote that is a blasted fool. 

8 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Its moronic to conclude that D Smith is a bust after 1 incomplete year.

how many years you need? sometimes you can tell right away-gholston, d millner are PRIME examples and so is D smith

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

how many years you need? sometimes you can tell right away-gholston, d millner are PRIME examples and so is D smith

3 years. If player doesn't perform in year 3 you cut bait. This came from Parcels, and i think is fairly on point.

You can say whatever you want, no one knows. the reality of the situation is that you can call anyone a bust and you don't need to be accountable to your knee jerk reaction. If he ends up having a great year, you'll prob just eat some crow and become a fan of his. happened with tons of guys including Pryor last year....who you probably called a bust.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

You don't address the situation by avoidance.

I'm just glad the Jets passed on Lynch.

Still gonna have to face Lynch with the Broncos, who happen to have the best coaching in Football, they could be on the verge of the

next dynasty, if Lynch pans out, they are.

20 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The 5'11' to 6'1" guys who typically play ILB well are thick-Ray Lewis, Harry Carson, Mike Singletary (or merely  okay like Vilma). Lee isn't remotely built like that. Someone posted a strengths/weaknesses calling him "rangy" but said scout who wrote that is a blasted fool. 

The Kid will put on 10 pounds over the next couple of years, so he will be a little bigger than Lewis, 6 2 " his speed will make him an instant star on this D,

and his quickness.  This is a great pick.

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

John Vilma

Polarizing pick in terms of fan reaction. Turned out to be a great pick at 12.

We badly needed some speed and coverage ability between the DL and the back end. Now lets go get some OL help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vilma was great in Herm's Tampa 4-3 but really struggled in Mangini's 3-4 to the point they traded him away.  FTR we run a 3-4. 

Archived