Brandon Marshall '100 percent confident' in Geno Smith as Jets' starter

32EBoozer

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/brandon_marshall_100_percent_confident_in_geno_smi.html

NEW YORK — If, for some reason, the Jets don't re-sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, then Geno Smith could be The Guy again next season. 

Smith struggled as a starter from 2013-14, his first two seasons. Then he was Fitzpatrick's backup last season. Smith's career stats: 27 touchdown passes, 35 interceptions, and a 72.3 quarterback rating. 

Smith was relegated to that role after then-teammate IK Enemkpali slugged him during an August locker room dispute and broke his jaw. 

How would the Jets' top wide receiver, Brandon Marshall, feel about Smith potentially starting in 2016? 

"A hundred percent confident in Geno," Marshall told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday. "I think he's grown so much from the first conversation I had with him, before I got traded [from Chicago last offseason], and also since [early] last year when we were roommates.

"He's an ultimate pro right now. I don't know if that's always been the answer [about him]. But I'm just so proud of the kid, because the areas where he's been challenged, he's grown and gotten better." 

Receiver Eric Decker recently expressed similar confidence in Smith, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Last year, the Jets drafted quarterback Bryce Petty in Round 4. This year, they drafted another quarterback, Christian Hackenberg, in Round 2. So it looks like they've moved on from Smith. 

Grading Jets' 2016 draft picks

Grading Jets' 2016 draft picks

How we see things.

But if Fitzpatrick isn't back in Florham Park next season, Smith might have another chance as the starter, since he is the most experienced quarterback among the Jets' current trio. And that would be just fine with Marshall, though he does really want the Jets to re-sign Fitzpatrick. 

From Cimini:

Jets WR Eric Decker, accompanied by wife Jessie James Decker at a NYC charity event, said he was "a little surprised" they drafted QB Christian Hackenberg. But he added, the scouts "do their research and homework for a reason and they saw something special with him." Decker believes unsigned QB Ryan Fitzpatrick "definitely is the right man for the type of team we have now. It's a team that's ready to win now and we need someone with a veteran presence" at QB.

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets are broke and haven't begun to sign the rookies.  Please tell us where the money is coming from to sign Fitz. 

The Jets are not broke and have already signed a few rookies. The money can be done by cutting Breno and restructuring some contracts. Hell, they could free up money by coming to an agreement to a contract with Wilkerson. No one needs to take a pay cut, though. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Marshall is beginning to become the corporate mouthpiece, as Woody and Mac start putting the screws to Fitz.

I'm sure Mac is getting tired of the questions. Will leave the door "open" but I'm sure it's slowly being closed.

But this has always been Marshall's stance....

Besides Marsh likes anyone who can get him the ball as long as they keep feeding him....

1 hour ago, C Mart said:
nzjBcMQL_normal.jpg Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI)
Also learned today that Brandon Marshall + Fitz talk "every other day or every 3 days." ...I don't even talk to my BFFs that often.

"Yeah Brandon, I'm going to retire unless the jets pay me double what you make. What an insult to my greatness. Hold on, the guy from bleacher report is calling again"

2 hours ago, Colgateman said:

So you guys are gonna assume this is just leverage against fitz? It doesn't seem so, people can genuinely say great things about people(geno) (like they did last year before fitztragic was even in the equation.

Nice words about Fitz = from the heart.

Nice words about Geno = Corp mouthpieces to press Fitz

Marshall has that Metta World Peace kind of optimism -- blissful but crazy as a $hit house rat.

Or he could be just completely happy after being properly treated and maybe medicated for the first time in his life. He wasn't asked to go before the Senate as a mental health advocate because he just got out of the county stabilization center.

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Or he could be just completely happy after being properly treated and medicated for the first time in his life. He wasn't asked to go before the Senate as a mental health advocate because he just got out of the county stabilization center.

Well he reportedly doesn't take meds but other than that I agree. He's a rich man in the prime of his life, still doing what he loves, is still great at it, and probably gets treated well by everyone he meets (except Jay Cutler lol). Plus with treatment he isn't a prisoner to his affliction anymore, and I'm sure that has improved his overall disposition as well. He should be completely happy. Good for him that he realizes how great things are for him, instead of acting like a miserable prick anyway.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Back?  Where did he go?

He fell out of boo status and Fitz took over last year.

Fitz is gone now and Geno is back to being Brandon's boo.

EDIT: Petty and Hack would totally be his boo too if they were starting. 

If he was off his meds for a day the article would be like this:

BRANDON MARSHALL TRASHES GENO

"I just don't see us winning many games with him. He can't even throw the ball away, except on 4th down"

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

He fell out of boo status and Fitz took over last year.

Fitz is gone now and Geno is back to being Brandon's boo.

EDIT: Petty and Hack would totally be his boo too if they were starting. 

Until we re-sign Fitz and then Fitz becomes his boo again.  lol.  Marshall is such a slut.

Marshall is beginning to become the corporate mouthpiece, as Woody and Mac start putting the screws to Fitz.

I'm sure Mac is getting tired of the questions. Will leave the door "open" but I'm sure it's slowly being closed.

Marshall has been saying all the right things since he's been here. I know it's short but the media is just waiting for him to slip up...

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well he reportedly doesn't take meds but other than that I agree. He's a rich man in the prime of his life, still doing what he loves, is still great at it, and probably gets treated well by everyone he meets (except Jay Cutler lol). Plus with treatment he isn't a prisoner to his affliction anymore, and I'm sure that has improved his overall disposition as well. He should be completely happy. Good for him that he realizes how great things are for him, instead of acting like a miserable prick anyway.

He's going to have to turn in his WR card if he keeps this up.  The good ones are supposed to be batsh*t crazy.  I think it's actually in the rulebook.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

He's going to have to turn in his WR card if he keeps this up.  The good ones are supposed to be batsh*t crazy.  I think it's actually in the rulebook.

It's actually been refreshing to see that a lot of star WR's of late haven't made a peep of trouble.  AJ Green, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones....do they talk at all?

Odell Beckham is another story, however.  Dez Bryant also has that "can implode at any time" quality about him too.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's actually been refreshing to see that a lot of star WR's of late haven't made a peep of trouble.  AJ Green, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones....do they talk at all?

Odell Beckham is another story, however.  Dez Bryant also has that "can implode at any time" quality about him too.

You are right.  They are ruining the game!  

There are a lot of young WRs who just shut up and play great ball now which is great.  Not to mention guys like Fitzgerald and Megatron.  And as nutters as Beckham and Bryant might try to be, they collectively can't hold a candle to a guy like Suh.  

The times they are a changin'

Archived