Von Miller's Reported Contract Offer

CrazyCarl40

Without reading the thread I am going to assume he's a greedy POS and/or that is too much money. The easy guess is that it is always too much money - no better conditioned/trained fandom in sports.

Does this guy know he is not LT or Deacon Jones?

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Without reading the thread I am going to assume he's a greedy POS and/or that is too much money. The easy guess is that it is always too much money - no better conditioned/trained fandom in sports.

Or JJ Watt

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

no, everyone thinks HE is worth this kind of money. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Wait till he wins a Superbowl with Sanchez at the helm.  Boom!!!

Im actually quite excited to see the Lynch/Sanchez battle this TC/Preseason. 

I never disliked Sanchez. He had alot of bad moments, but he had some good ones. The team deteriorated around him when he was young. Mix that with the lack of consistency (and coaching). 

I think Elway made a good decision getting Sanchez for a 7th. If the Broncos can win it all with what Manning was last season, they very well could do it again with Sanchez. 

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He definitely is. I think Denver has to up the GTD money though to make it work. Will be interesting to see what Mo gets on the market next season.

The "problem" (for Miller) is he's valuable enough money-wise that tagging him 2 (maybe even 3) times may cost less. Earlier rumors - when Denver was allegedly offering $18M - was that he was seeking $22M/year (don't know what guarantee he was seeking). He can make a pretty strong case for that with Olivier Vernon getting $17M per and $52.5M guaranteed.

The thing is as a LB his tag this year is $14.129M. Next year a 20% raise would bring that to $16.95M. Year after that would be $24.4M (44% raise, or the QB franchise tender, if that's higher); very expensive, but by then it might technically be doable, plus they get to use a lot of the savings built up over the prior 2-3 seasons. (Year after that, 2019, would be prohibitively high at $35M). So right now they already have him "locked up" (they control him) for 3 years $55.4M ($18.4M/yr).

Further keep in mind that the team is only locked to pay it guaranteed in for each year one year at a time, not cumulatively. So if he gets seriously injured (like career-ending serious) this year, Miller would get $14M for the season and nothing more. Compare that to a deal with $50-60M guaranteed and you see why Miller is likely going to give in with some type of discount. Even if they frame it as a hometown discount, it's horsesh*t. It's discounted because it's all he can get, since he can't shop himself around until he's 30 years old.

This will NOT affect Darron Lee's option amount, BTW. The 5th year option will exempt the top 2 LB salaries (for picks #11 through the end of round 1, it's the average of the #3 through #25 highest paid LBers). 

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The "problem" (for Miller) is he's valuable enough money-wise that tagging him 2 (maybe even 3) times may cost less. Earlier rumors - when Denver was allegedly offering $18M - was that he was seeking $22M/year (don't know what guarantee he was seeking). He can make a pretty strong case for that with Olivier Vernon getting $17M per and $52.5M guaranteed.

The thing is as a LB his tag this year is $14.129M. Next year a 20% raise would bring that to $16.95M. Year after that would be $24.4M (44% raise, or the QB franchise tender, if that's higher); very expensive, but by then it might technically be doable, plus they get to use a lot of the savings built up over the prior 2-3 seasons. (Year after that, 2019, would be prohibitively high at $35M). So right now they already have him "locked up" (they control him) for 3 years $55.4M ($18.4M/yr).

Further keep in mind that the team is only locked to pay it guaranteed in for each year one year at a time, not cumulatively. So if he gets seriously injured (like career-ending serious) this year, Miller would get $14M for the season and nothing more. Compare that to a deal with $50-60M guaranteed and you see why Miller is likely going to give in with some type of discount. Even if they frame it as a hometown discount, it's horsesh*t. It's discounted because it's all he can get, since he can't shop himself around until he's 30 years old.

This will NOT affect Darron Lee's option amount, BTW. The 5th year option will exempt the top 2 LB salaries (for picks #11 through the end of round 1, it's the average of the #3 through #25 highest paid LBers). 

The franchise tag is always going to be a bargain for a team with the #1 player at his position, especially when you're talking about a generational talent at a relatively thin position 

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

The franchise tag is always going to be a bargain for a team with the #1 player at his position, especially when you're talking about a generational talent at a relatively thin position 

Not always. Often they can just save a couple dollars without incurring risk, but then lose it on the back end when the time finally comes to sign him. Depending on the position, there often isn't much disparity between the #1 paid player and #5 paid player. Look at the discrepancies this year:

• at QB the #1 makes $22M and #5 makes $21M;
  • Same discrepancy for WR ($15M for #1, $14M for #5);
  • same for TE ($10M for #1, $9M for #5);
  • same for CB ($15M vs $14M).
  • There are a couple other positions where the difference is still under $2M, or where #1 thru #4 is close and it's only #5 that drops more.
  • THEN there are a couple positions where the #1 player gets noticeably more (Suh, Houston).

It just depends upon which position which year.

Miller is in a particularly unique situation where his demands are already in excess of 50% more than the franchise tag amount. He isn't merely the #1 guy; he's the #1 guy with ridiculous distance between him and the #2 guy. It's compounded because not only is he the #1 player who isn't locked up, he's further tagged at a position where the #5 signed guy (Kerrigan) is making about half what the "true" #1 guy (Miller) is seeking. He's far in excess of the typical #1 to #5 money disparity. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not always. Often they can just save a couple dollars without incurring risk, but then lose it on the back end when the time finally comes to sign him. Depending on the position, there often isn't much disparity between the #1 paid player and #5 paid player. Look at the discrepancies this year:

• at QB the #1 makes $22M and #5 makes $21M;
  • Same discrepancy for WR ($15M for #1, $14M for #5);
  • same for TE ($10M for #1, $9M for #5);
  • same for CB ($15M vs $14M).
  • There are a couple other positions where the difference is still under $2M, or where #1 thru #4 is close and it's only #5 that drops more.
  • THEN there are a couple positions where the #1 player gets noticeably more (Suh, Houston).

It just depends upon which position which year.

Miller is in a particularly unique situation where his demands are already in excess of 50% more than the franchise tag amount. He isn't merely the #1 guy; he's the #1 guy with ridiculous distance between him and the #2 guy. It's compounded because not only is he the #1 player who isn't locked up, he's further tagged at a position where the #5 signed guy (Kerrigan) is making about half what the "true" #1 guy (Miller) is seeking. He's far in excess of the typical #1 to #5 money disparity. 

Yeah I mean the only other player in the same stratosphere as Miller right now would be Houston's 6 year/$100M deal, but it is surprising the disparity between LB's in the league right now. I was not thinking of kerrigan as a top 5 guy right away but it makes sense, there really is not a lot of young talent at the position right now. I guess you could make the case that being a top player at a position where there is not a lot of premiere talent actually hurts your earning potential simply because there's less mega contracts to inflate the franchise number. And actually makes those high draft picks at those positions even more valuable because of the extended team control over star players

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Guy practically single-handedly won a super bowl with a QB that should have retired a couple years ago.  Made Cam Newton look like JaMarcus Russel. 

Yep. Tough one. He is an animal and I love his style. 

Wish we had the cap room. But he's in a position to cash the F in on his raping of the best QBs in the NFL after being SB MVP. Question is there any team who he could put over the edge like that WITH THE CAP ROOM MANiPuLATIN SKiLLS to put them in the playoffs.... Because all you gotta do is get the the playoffs with a guy like him. 

No way we could, but I think Bowles will find a way to bring some stifling defense in other ways. Here's to optimism and sht

If they knew they would be getting last year's performance for the next six years then 22M-per does not seem out of the question.  The problem is that sometimes pass rushers can drop off a cliff performance-wise.

With that said he really is a defensive game changer unlike Mo who is a really really good player.

24 minutes ago, EM31 said:

With that said he really is a defensive game changer unlike Mo who is a really really good player.

+1

Look at sacks, team playoff appearances, team W-L, and rings, proof is in the pudding, this isn't arbitrary

29 minutes ago, EM31 said:

If they knew they would be getting last year's performance for the next six years then 22M-per does not seem out of the question.  The problem is that sometimes pass rushers can drop off a cliff performance-wise.

Mo can't hold Von Millers jock strap boys! I luv Mo, he's one of our better players but let's be serious here, Von brings it in big spots. Mo disappears, Like others have said, Cam Newton would have had his way if Von wasn't chasing him around snarling & spitting. Probably one of the best games played by a defensive player in Super Bowl history. He rattled the chit out of Cam. That's what sucks about NFL contracts.

You get a guy like Suh & Tannenbaum remakes the next ridiculous level of pay. Winters f*cking stoned him! There are just a few GREAT defensive players, Watt, Von Miller. A lot of the rest are above average but certainly not worth wrecking your salary cap over. I hate the Patriots but having Brady allows them to move on from guys Belichick deems expendable when they get too costly. There's no way in hell the Patriots would pay Mo if they drafted him. They would have traded him like Chandler Jones this year or Richard Seymour in the past.

One of the keys to bringing it in big spots is to be on a team good enough to play in big spots, particularly when the standard for big spot is the Super Bowl. 

I think Miller is a more valuable player than Wilkerson, athletes like him are even more rare than the already rare athlete on par with Wilkerson, but I think the perceived gap on the field is largely dependent on the success of the the franchises and, of course, the almighty sack.

3 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Yep. Tough one. He is an animal and I love his style. 

Wish we had the cap room. But he's in a position to cash the F in on his raping of the best QBs in the NFL after being SB MVP. Question is there any team who he could put over the edge like that WITH THE CAP ROOM MANiPuLATIN SKiLLS to put them in the playoffs.... Because all you gotta do is get the the playoffs with a guy like him. 

No way we could, but I think Bowles will find a way to bring some stifling defense in other ways. Here's to optimism and sht

The other issue is the thing we see over and over again. Just because a player did it once or for awile doesn't mean they wil continue to do it.. Money sometimes dulls the fangs in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

One of the keys to bringing it in big spots is to be on a team good enough to play in big spots, particularly when the standard for big spot is the Super Bowl. 

I think Miller is a more valuable player than Wilkerson, athletes like him are even more rare than the already rare athlete on par with Wilkerson, but I think the perceived gap on the field is largely dependent on the success of the the franchises and, of course, the almighty sack.

Well the almighty sack is almighty for a reason until or unless the rules of the game are changed and/or the way those rules are being called on the field.

Mo is top-100 in the NFL and Miller is probably top-10 based off his level of play last year.  Maybe top-5 excluding QBs.

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

he's a future HOF defender. The Jets would probably trade this player to Tampa Bay. 

You mean trade him to TB and use that pick to draft a ROY, then sign him back 2yrs later? 

19 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Well the almighty sack is almighty for a reason until or unless the rules of the game are changed and/or the way those rules are being called on the field.

Mo is top-100 in the NFL and Miller is probably top-10 based off his level of play last year.  Maybe top-5 excluding QBs.

What's the reason? They look pretty and get the crowd going? They're basically the RBIs of the NFL. 

Mo's top 25, top 3 in his class (300 pounders), in the NFL whereas Miller is top 10.

Archived