Which of these NY Jets QB seasons was the best?

slats

Which of these NY Jets QB seasons was the best?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one:

• Ken O'Brien 1985 - 60.9 comp%, 3120 yards, 25 TDs, 8 ints, 96.2 passer rating, 0-1 in playoffs
    • Vinny Testaverde 1998 - 61.5%, 3256 yds, 29/7 101.6, lost AFC Championship Game
    • Chad Pennington 2002 - 68.9%, 3120 yds, 22/6 104.2, 1-1 playoffs
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick 2015 - 59.6%, 3905 yds, 31/15 88.0, no playoffs

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Chad took over a 1-3 team, took them to 9-7, won the division and a playoff game.  Fitz threw for a bunch of TD's in a new era of Football and failed to make the playoffs facing a cup cake schedule and choked in a win and in game.  

They're not even in the same boat, if you ask me. 

the last place team in our division in 2002 was 8-8, the 2002 Jets were the ONLY non NE div title team in a year Brady was primary starter for NE and when we whipped NE at Foxboro on a Sunday Night in week 16 it not only prevented NE from winning another div title but they wouldn't lose again at home until 2005.  there is nothing from Fitz in 2015 that compares to that.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree 1-3, not sure how I'd place 4 &5.  Not like Fitz wasn't just as much a dump off machine.  And he has every rule eased up over what Chad dealt with.  

But those are 1-5

Fitz took more chances downfield than Chad for sure. I take that into account. Stats don't keep track of PI penalties, and we drew quite a few of those just by trying to get the ball to Marshall.

Also, as I failed to add but someone else already did, Fitz was arguably the most efficient runner as a QB in the entire league last year. Lots and lots of first downs to keep drives going purely with his legs. That matters.

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If we're counting partial seasons, how about Ray Lucas in 99.  Replaced the awful Rick Mirer and ran up a 6-2 record with nice stats.  Never could repeat it but he was fun to watch that year.

he was 6-3 as starter but he was good for us that year

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True, but so was Mark Sanchez.

Mark is higher than fitz w/o a doubt

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Fitz took more chances downfield than Chad for sure. I take that into account. Stats don't keep track of PI penalties, and we drew quite a few of those just by trying to get the ball to Marshall.

Fitz threw balls up for grabs and his elite WRs brought them down many times.  Chad had smurfs to work with at WR.  Coles at 5'11" was the tallest, Marshall is 6'4" and Decker 6'3".  HUGE difference and still Chad had a much higher YPA.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Chad took over a 1-3 team, took them to 9-7, won the division and a playoff game.  Fitz threw for a bunch of TD's in a new era of Football and failed to make the playoffs facing a cup cake schedule and choked in a win and in game.  

They're not even in the same boat, if you ask me. 

That was my thinking.  

I'd almost bet that Chad faced better defenses and better teams.

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also, as I failed to add but someone else already did, Fitz was arguably the most efficient runner as a QB in the entire league last year. Lots and lots of first downs to keep drives going purely with his legs. That matters.

I sure remembering Chad taking chances that year.  

I dont really remember Fitz doing much more.  And again, Id bet Chad faced a harder schedule, better defenses.  Chad per attempt was just under 9 yards, Fitz under 7. 

Not important to me though

Vinny's season got my vote, too, but I was hoping Kenny O would get a little love. Better than 3:1 TD:int ratio, 8 yards per attempt, all while getting sacked (gotta be close to a league record) 62 times. Jets were 11-5 that year and looked legit. Yeah, Kenny takes the blame for a lot of those sacks, but those are awesome numbers - especially when you consider the passing rules back in 1985. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

You want a good total TDs, obviously, but Pennington nearly hitting 4:1 in his TD:int ratio is much more impressive to me than Fitz' just a hair over 2:1. 

I'm certainly no Pennington knob-slurper, but it's preposterous. The total TDs were a function of attempts. They had the same TD% while Fitz's INT% was nearly double (as was his more than double fumble percentage), not to mention one of Chad's 6 picks was a 50+ yd Hail Mary heave on the last play of the Oakland game and the other a similar heave in garbage time with 8 seconds left in the first Miami game (he came in just for the last series with us trailing 30-3; hardly significant). 

Pennington threw the same # of picks over his 12 starts that Fitz threw just in the 4th quarter of our season-ending game alone. With the playoffs on the line in the last game of the '02 season, he came up huge against GB's #3 ranked pass defense. In the playoffs (oh yeah, we made the playoffs) he had a near-perfect game against the NFL's #2 pass defense. Fitz's only outing against a similarly-ranked 2015 D (his old team) was an embarrassment with more of his 4th quarter choke interceptions in a very winnable game.

The team's 8-4 record in Chad's 12 starts could have been even better if Chrebet didn't fumble away our last possession against Chicago inside their 15 with us driving, plus Hall missing the game-tying FG to end the Browns game, plus Herm's D blowing the lead on KC's final possession. He personally played well enough for the team to go 10-2 or 11-1 in his starts. 

Beyond all of this we were all genuinely surprised when Chad had a sub-par outing, and with good reason: he was far more consistent in '02 than Fitz ever was, and he literally didn't have a truly bad game from his first start until we got eliminated in his 2nd playoff game.

Conversely, I was totally unsurprised when Fitz had his week 17 meltdown; not because of blind pessimism, but rather because of not-blind pessimism: it was merely one of a bunch of Fitz's personal letdown games on the season. In his 16 starts, fully 5 of them (roughly 1/3 of his starts) were poor Fitzpatrick outings: 4 by his crappy play, and one by his absentminded early exit that never should have happened to a "smart" veteran QB. 

The thing they both had in common in their respective banner seasons is both were ultimately equally losers if the D didn't hold our opponents to 20 pts or less. That, and their comparatively weak NFL arms. 

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

from this list(where Fitz doesn't belong):

1. Vinny 1998: none of the others are even close, this was as close to perfection as we will likely ever see from a Jets QB.  

2. Chad 2002: brought us back from 1-4, 2-5 to ponly our 2nd AFC East title ever and our O was unstoppable until Oakland.

3. O'Brien 1985: a little overrated since he took so many sacks rather than throw the ball away to keep his comp % higher and rating higher but he had a good year.  O'Brien is vastly overrated by jet fans.

4. Fitz 2015: doesn't belong w/ these other 3 seasons.  excellent stat year but this game is about wins not stats and he had the most talent of any of these QBs to throw to.

O'Brien was throwing to Toon, Walker, Shuler, McNeil and Hector. Lot's of talent there.

44 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

How about Namath? His jets won superbowl just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I purposely left off Namath '67 and '68. Totally different era, and it seems like the folks posting here don't even recognize Kenny O's excellent 1985. But both of those Namath years were historic seasons. The first 4000 yard passing season, and the first Super Bowl for an AFL team. This is more an informal poll for the second or third best year by a QB. 

16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

from this list(where Fitz doesn't belong):

1. Vinny 1998: none of the others are even close, this was as close to perfection as we will likely ever see from a Jets QB.  

2. Chad 2002: brought us back from 1-4, 2-5 to ponly our 2nd AFC East title ever and our O was unstoppable until Oakland.

3. O'Brien 1985: a little overrated since he took so many sacks rather than throw the ball away to keep his comp % higher and rating higher but he had a good year.  O'Brien is vastly overrated by jet fans.

4. Fitz 2015: doesn't belong w/ these other 3 seasons.  excellent stat year but this game is about wins not stats and he had the most talent of any of these QBs to throw to.

Stop the presses. Im in agreement with the JUNC. :)

46 minutes ago, slats said:

So can I assume that you're not very impressed when a single Jets passing record is broken in a season. 

I'm equally unimpressed with the people who are hell bent on making us realize Fitzpatrick is pretty average.  News flash:  We all get this.  Even the biggest Fitz supporters like me get this. 

Having no worse than the 5th best QB season for the Jets since Namath is more of a reflection of our bad QB's than anything else, but it also means Fitz is our best QB since 2008, and that the consistent complaints about him are going overboard.  Why not talk more about the other 52 roster spots, being competed over by so many talented young players?  That sounds more fun.

he is one of the most overrated players in Jets history.  If his career happened in this era he would be HATED on boards like this.

I'm not sure where you get this idea that Jets fans think Obrien is a god. Most I know think he was some guy we screwed up taking over Marino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, slats said:

Vinny's season got my vote, too, but I was hoping Kenny O would get a little love. Better than 3:1 TD:int ratio, 8 yards per attempt, all while getting sacked (gotta be close to a league record) 62 times. Jets were 11-5 that year and looked legit. Yeah, Kenny takes the blame for a lot of those sacks, but those are awesome numbers - especially when you consider the passing rules back in 1985. 

he got sacked 62 times b/c he held onto the ball too long always looking for the big play and never throwing it away thus keeping his comp % up.  he had a very good year but he never won a single playoff game for us, he is vastly overrated.

12 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

You are correct however Vinny had a solid 10-0 lead at halftime and Sanchez had a shaky 17-13 lead at halftime vs the Colts.

The Steeler AFC Championship game was over in the first quarter.

Vinny had a 3-0 lead at the half.  it became 10-0 after we blocked a punt and got the ball on the Den 1 yd line.

Our D's blew both the 1998 and 2009 title games.  17-13 was shaky b/c the D blew a double digit lead at the end of the 2nd qtr.

2010 was our best shot at a SB, the only AFC Championship Game we have ever had a chance in late in the game.

12 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

O'Brien was throwing to Toon, Walker, Shuler, McNeil and Hector. Lot's of talent there.

Absolutely but as good as Toon and walker were none were like Brandon Marshall and remember this is the pass happy era where all the rules favor the offenses.

11 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Definetly 98 Vinny

He QB'd a 12-4 Jet team that won a division title and had a lead going into the half of the AFCCG

I believe he was 13-1 as a starter in the reg season, amazing year.  I have never seen anything close from a Jets QB

Vinny's rebirth was a magic year. Never before felt that it was our year like then. Not the two Rex era AFC championships, never. I was too young to really appreciate the NY Sack Exchange days, maybe those felt the same, I don't know. Even though we didn't win it all and it set up  my worst Jets memory (Vinny going down game one the following year), that season was the most fun one I've had as a Jets fan. Would love to feel that way again.

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm equally unimpressed with the people who are hell bent on making us realize Fitzpatrick is pretty average.  News flash:  We all get this.  Even the biggest Fitz supporters like me get this. 

Having no worse than the 5th best QB season for the Jets since Namath is more of a reflection of our bad QB's than anything else, but it also means Fitz is our best QB since 2008, and that the consistent complaints about him are going overboard.  Why not talk more about the other 52 roster spots, being competed over by so many talented young players?  That sounds more fun.

Cant wait for the season- Fitz will have both good and bad games. It's incredible the amount of scrutiny he's getting. 

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a good post. He's definitely starting so I don't get the extreme hate. Let's all hope he plays well.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Cant wait for the season- Fitz will have both good and bad games. It's incredible the amount of scrutiny he's getting. 

He might be the most scrutinized average player in recent memory. Some may argue Dalton, but I think he's criminally underrated.

11 hours ago, slats said:

I purposely left off Namath '67 and '68. Totally different era, and it seems like the folks posting here don't even recognize Kenny O's excellent 1985. But both of those Namath years were historic seasons. The first 4000 yard passing season, and the first Super Bowl for an AFL team. This is more an informal poll for the second or third best year by a QB. 

I think it didn't get the love just because - even though it was one of the better ones - there were other Jets QBs with better seasons.

Yes, his stats look closer to Alex Smith with a lower completion percentage by today's standards, but it wasn't uncommon for someone to lead the league in TDs with under 30. But it still wasn't the best season ever by a Jets QB. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's a good post. He's definitely starting so I don't get the extreme hate. Let's all hope he plays well.

He might be the most scrutinized average player in recent memory. Some may argue Dalton, but I think he's criminally underrated.

Fitz is probably going to struggle against the Seahawks, but then again most QB's do. The overreaction to an average QB with an average arm against a great defense will be funny.

What Fitz generally does well is he takes advantage of poor defenses(which is a good thing). We tend to forget about the bad QB's who cant take advantage of anything, while over analyzing the average ones who do, but struggle against the top defenses. The Jets need their defense and special teams to be improved to make up for the tougher schedule this year.

Archived