Jets' Todd Bowles on Brandon Marshall-Darrelle Revis skirmish: 'It's not charm school'

Gas2No99

Jets' Todd Bowles on Brandon Marshall-Darrelle Revis skirmish: 'It's not charm school'

20867662-mmmain.jpg

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — While Jets coach Todd Bowles said after Friday's training camp practice that players can't just go around taking swings at each other, he did enjoy the spirit behind wide receiver Brandon Marshall and cornerback Darrelle Revis getting into a skirmish during the practice. 

The on-field matchup and trash talking between the two stars escalated to the point that Marshall took a one-handed, open-hand swipe that connected with Revis' shoulder pads. Teammates quickly diffused the dust-up.

"We don't condone swinging, and we talked about it," Bowles said. "It's about that time of camp when it gets a little chippy. But we put it out before it got started." 

But Bowles also said this: "You love them competing. You need some motivation. You're going to get pissed off in camp as a player. It's not charm school. Both of them got to where they were for making plays and for not backing down. Neither player is going to back down. You like that about the competitiveness. You've just got to keep it clean. For the most part, they did." 

Friday was the Jets' eighth practice of camp, and fifth in full pads. They practice again Saturday evening, before Sunday's off day. Could more fireworks be in store Saturday, during the team's fifth consecutive practice? Bowles, for one, certainly wouldn't mind, as long as his players don't cross a line. He likes this edginess. 

"Love it," he said. "It's football. We're not here judging a beauty pageant. You want some players that are chippy and know how to play and keep it clean. But you want them on the edge." 

Bowles also didn't mind Marshall loudly trash talking Revis about the cornerback's struggles last season against Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins. 

"You're going to use any means necessary when you're on the field," Bowles said. "They're going to get under your skin on Sunday. There are things you hear on Sunday that are a billion times worse than that. They both have tools to get under each other's skin, especially when it gets chippy. That's just part of the mess talk." 

Marshall and Revis didn't match up on the field again after Marshall took his swing. But Bowles said that was because Revis, who is recovering from right wrist surgery, was on a pre-planned schedule, as far as his practice reps. 

Of course, if Revis had put up his right arm to defend himself against Marshall's swipe, and Marshall ended up hitting Revis' wrist, that could've been an issue. 

"You don't want to swing at a player regardless of whether he's hurt or not," Bowles said, adding that Revis didn't appear to have any issues with his wrist while jamming Marshall off the line of scrimmage Friday — an encouraging sign as Revis continues to get more reps in practice.  

Remember, Friday was just Revis' second practice since the end of last season in which he got significant team periods action. 

Bowles, a former NFL safety, said this sort of chippy stuff happens all around the league in August. 

"Everybody gets chippy," he said. "It's nothing to write home about. I don't think it was an outburst [by Marshall]. I think it was two good players going at it, and they talked mess. It got chippy, but it's camp. It's supposed to be." 

Bowles said plenty of players were talking trash on Friday. Not just those two stars. Though Marshall was much louder than all the rest. 

"There was a lot of chippiness going on out there," Bowles said. "You hit each other for enough time, people get frustrated. You like the motivation, you like the spirit of practice, but we're not going to punch anybody. You can talk as much as you want. You're going to get that on Sunday [during games]." 

He isn't worried about Marshall's swing — and his insults hurled at Revis — having a negative impact with his teammates. 

"No, I'm not worried about it at all," Bowles said. "Everybody was talking out there. I don't think you solely leave that exclusive to Brandon." 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com.

Todd Bowles: EVEN-keeled MuthaPhuka on ICE! 

How motivated are our young players? These guys just got an up close & personel view of two HOFers going at it. Marshall & Revis don't back down from nobody, including each other.

After Marshall trashed him about Hopkins smoking him last year, Revis could have reminded Brandon had he caught that TD in New England the Jets would have won the AFC East. 

Its funny, we can talk about Fitz, special teams, Ivory & Ridley breaking down but you really can go back to that one moment, very easy catch that would have put us up 7 on the road & we didn't make the play that was right there for the taking.

16 games & one drop could have been the difference of 10-6 no playoffs to 11-5 division champions. That's how small the difference really is in this league. The Patriots success is based on one play at a time. It's been drilled into them by Belichick & Brady has taken it to an incredible level. That's why Brady goes off when people aren't where they should be or someone drops a ball. Every play does count in this league, you don't get many do overs until the next week after a tough loss.

Sounds like it was more of a push. Everybody wants to hype it up into something more than what it was. It's all good though. They need to start getting fired up. Anybody whose played football knows it's just part of the prep. Happens all the time. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

How motivated are our young players? These guys just got an up close & personel view of two HOFers going at it. Marshall & Revis don't back down from nobody, including each other.

After Marshall trashed him about Hopkins smoking him last year, Revis could have reminded Brandon had he caught that TD in New England the Jets would have won the AFC East. 

Its funny, we can talk about Fitz, special teams, Ivory & Ridley breaking down but you really can go back to that one moment, very easy catch that would have put us up 7 on the road & we didn't make the play that was right there for the taking.

16 games & one drop could have been the difference of 10-6 no playoffs to 11-5 division champions. That's how small the difference really is in this league. The Patriots success is based on one play at a time. It's been drilled into them by Belichick & Brady has taken it to an incredible level. That's why Brady goes off when people aren't where they should be or someone drops a ball. Every play does count in this league, you don't get many do overs until the next week after a tough loss.

Good point. Almost all of  Last years losses, as I've stated elsewhere, we're all marked by a single play or two

13 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

One reason the doom and gloom crowd is so glum.  They don't comprehend our true talent level compared to the rest of the league.  We are deep everywhere but OL.  

If we won the SB they would be looking for negative stats and giving excuses for winning. If you think the Jets franchise doesn't know how to win the same goes for it's fans. Some of them will never be happy. 

This is what I want from my star players. Psuhing the limits of competition, getting the best out of each other. Besides the punch/push to he shoulder, like Bowles said, all players hear worse taunting on Sundays.

This isn't wayne hunter giving a cheap shot to some rookie nose tackle in camp and the whole team brawls. This is two people trying to win a championship and showing the team everyone better let their balls hang out this year.

11 minutes ago, daquix said:

I'm usually just a lurker, but I had to create an account just to laugh at you calling Marshall a HOFer

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

There are 15+ WR's with more receptions that are not in the HOF

There are 20+ WR's with more receiving yards that are not in the HOF

There are 15+ WR's with more receiving TD's that are not in the HOF

Not to even mention that WR is one of the hardest positions to get into the HOF as.

He is SO SO SO far away from the HOF that your post literally made me laugh out loud.

Thank you for the laugh.

Numbers are cool. They can do anything we want in an argument. They speak for themselves.

I'm usually just a lurker, but I had to create an account just to laugh at you calling Marshall a HOFer

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

There are 15+ WR's with more receptions that are not in the HOF

There are 20+ WR's with more receiving yards that are not in the HOF

There are 15+ WR's with more receiving TD's that are not in the HOF

Not to even mention that WR is one of the hardest positions to get into the HOF as.

He is SO SO SO far away from the HOF that your post literally made me laugh out loud.

Thank you for the laugh.

How much you want to bet, genius?

He's already got the most 100 catch seasons in NFL history

http://national.suntimes.com/national-sports/7/72/2347111/brandon-marshall-breaks-nfl-record-100-catch-seasons/

1 minute ago, daquix said:

True.

And I like Brandon Marshall. He's a good player.

But HOF?
That's literally spit out your coffee hilarious.

There is a back-order of all-time great NFL WR's waiting to get into the hall of fame.

Tim Brown, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Stanley Morgan, Isaac Bruce, Drew Pearson ... and the list could keep going.

All receivers who would need to get in before Brandon Marshall even SNIFFS a spot.

The HOF has a WR problem -- It's only elected 9 in the last 15 years. There are several years they select none. 

This is the better post.

Anything you want.

The HOF has a WR problem. It doesn't elect many. 

9 in the last 15 years and many years they elect NONE.

There are close to a dozen great WR's that need to be elected before Marshall even sniffs a spot. 

It'll be 20+ years before the currently retired WR's who need to get in are all in, and then Marshall might have a chance... and that's only if other young players don't come up through the pipeline to overtake him.

LOLOLOL marshall in the HOF.

Blah, blah, blah, Troll

True.

But HOF?

There is a back-order of all-time great NFL WR's waiting to get into the hall of fame.

Tim Brown, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Stanley Morgan, Isaac Bruce, Drew Pearson ... and the list could keep going.

All receivers who would need to get in before Brandon Marshall even SNIFFS a spot.

The HOF has a WR problem -- It's only elected 9 in the last 15 years. There are several years they select none. 

Every guy you listed, marshall is poised to pass on the stats list...His career is still active, Troll.

9 minutes ago, daquix said:

True.

But HOF?

Tim Brown is in the Hall of Fame and Moss is a shoe in the second he is eligible. Owens should be and probably eventually will, same with Holt and Bruce. If Stanley Morgan and Drew Pearson are Hall of Famers, so are Wesley Walker and Laveranues Coles. Just sayin'.

Troll because I live in reality?

Uhm, ok.

Heres reality:

All Time Receiving Leaders.

Brandon Marshall.

25th in TDs, 10 more TDs gets him to 13th, 12 more gets him to 12th, 20 gets him to 10th.

31st in yards, 1015 yds gets him to 21st, 2000 gets him to 17th.

22nd in receptions, 100 gets him to 14th, 200 gets him to 6th -10th.

13th in YPG.

All those 2 year amounts are easily doable for Brandon the way hes playing.

24 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Tim Brown is in the Hall of Fame and Moss is a shoe in the second he is eligible. Owens should be and probably eventually will, same with Holt and Bruce. If Stanley Morgan and Drew Pearson are Hall of Famers, so are Wesley Walker and Laveranues Coles. Just sayin'.

I'll do you one better, the Jets should also retire Coles' number.

Archived