Bryce Petty vows to "Favre it"

Integrity28

Just now, Matt39 said:

Petty looking like a guy who wont sh*t his pants makes the Hackenberg pick slightly more frustrating with the glaring need at CB and edge right row.

I don't see how any Jets fan can complain about the Hack pick.  "Take a QB every draft till you find one."  I'll be more than happy going forward with Petty/Hack 1-2 in any order you like.  Next year it might very well be Petty/Hack/Rookie 1-2-3 in any order you like.  I've no problems with that. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, slats said:

Geno's in the last year of his contract. The Jets aren't looking at him as a starter. They hold onto him if they believe he's significantly better than Petty and Hack as a backup. The one year, $12M deal for Fitz put the Jets squarely in win now mode. Given Fitz' style of play, they need a quality backup. 

Well I've done a total flip flop on Geno and now, if Fitz goes down, I don't believe Geno has the consistency to get us to the post season.  If Petty continues to progress I'm for dumping Geno in favor of a WR slot and if during the season is Fitz goes down signing some jag vet QB off the street for depth as Petty gets the starts.

If and only if Petty continues to show progress prior to the cut to 53.   

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I'd say mission accomplished. The stat sheet looks like routine time in a preseason game, but he passed the eyeball test tonight bigtime. Good sh*t.

I mentioned that it seems like the light went on for him after his sh*ttiest day in camp. I think he's really rallied well over the past week, and tonight was a great exclamation point. Hope he keeps it up.

Have not seen it.  Replays 10 am. I will watch it at 12.  Yay!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Well I've done a total flip flop on Geno and now, if Fitz goes down, I don't believe Geno has the consistency to get us to the post season.  If Petty continues to progress I'm for dumping Geno in favor of a WR slot and if during the season is Fitz goes down signing some jag vet QB off the street for depth as Petty gets the starts.

If and only if Petty continues to show progress prior to the cut to 53.   

It's only one game but yes, Geno looked shaky and Petty looked much improved. All along, I've said it's tough to carry four QBs. If they cut down to three, and Petty continues to play as well as he did yesterday (or better), he should be one of the three.  

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Petty looking like a guy who wont sh*t his pants makes the Hackenberg pick slightly more frustrating with the glaring need at CB and edge right row.

I really think that Macc / Bowles are going to keep drafting QB's until they find one that shows he can play.   Macc drafted Petty, he wasn't an Idzik holdover and he had no qualms about using a 2nd rd pick on another project.   

Petty looked like an NFL QB last night.   Who knows, maybe he is the next Brett Ratliff or maybe he's going to be the guy....only time will tell.   

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jalin Marshall in 1 preseason game surpassed Smith 

the guy who can make smith redundant is peake.  jalin doesn't have the straight line speed.  though, if you're good, you're good.  if amaro is good this year, he'll also take away opportunities for devin.  it's a nice problem to have, finally.  it's certainly better than hoping stephen hill learns how to catch.

39 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You think we're going to keep 4 QBs if Petty looks average?

I do. 

We have an owner about to turn 70 next year, that's going to be a huge motivating factor to decisions made this year.  Better to roll the dice on Petty becoming The One than to keep a fifth-string special teamer.

SAR I

The amount of time and energy I see people dedicating to Geno...not sure it's worth it. He's a backup and when given a clean pocket he can throw the ball down the field. The second there's a hint of pressure he panics. He just looks awkward and uncomfortable in the pocket...he's still got that hitch when he throws too.

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Because having 2 QBs is a bad thing?  Especially since neither one has proven they can even be a capable backup QB at this point.  There's a little more to playing QB than playing ok against backups

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

8-14 79 yards with a TD all with not so great WRs remember Marshall and Decker were on the bench. 

I don't really want to spend al day talking about Smith who is NOT a significant player for the team and the coming season  But, I don't think statwise those are good numbers at all.  His ypa was only 5.6.  Completion percentage was also well below acceptable.  And while he did not have the receivers mentioned, the Jets seem right now to have  a pretty good bench at wideout, and they were playing against Jville's second string pass D, and Jville is not noted for having a great first string pass D.

For me the only reason to talk about Smith right now concerns what the Jets do about who they keep at Qb.  It looks lke some of those young wideouts will not be ones the team will want to risk losing to go on the practice squad.  And that makes keeping four Qb's harder to do.  If Petty looks good enough to be the backup, the Jets may cut Smith even if Smith plays no worse than he did last night.

Playing with scrubs yes he didnt look that good and Fitzpatrick playing with the starters looked worse!

Agreed, Geno didn't look good, but stop with the Fitz bashing, he played well, his only bad play was the sack on Clady's side. If Fitz didn't drift underneath Clady he would've had time. Sack was on him.

2 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I don't really want to spend al day talking about Smith who is NOT a significant player for the team and the coming season  But, I don't think statwise those are good numbers at all.  His ypa was only 5.6.  Completion percentage was also well below acceptable.  And while he did not have the receivers mentioned, the Jets seem right now to have  a pretty good bench at wideout, and they were playing against Jville's second string pass D, and Jville is not noted for having a great first string pass D.

For me the only reason to talk about Smith right now concerns what the Jets do about who they keep at Qb.  It looks lke some of those young wideouts will not be ones the team will want to risk losing to go on the practice squad.  And that makes keeping four Qb's harder to do.  If Petty looks good enough to be the backup, the Jets may cut Smith even if Smith plays no worse than he did last night.

Me neither the fact that Fitzpatrick was bailed out by Enunwa instead of Marshall and Decker solidifies him as the starting QB Geno Smith has some work to do as Bryce Petty seems to be on track to possibly be that guy for us. 

1 minute ago, Rexorcism said:

Agreed, Geno didn't look good, but stop with the Fitz bashing, he played well, his only bad play was the sack on Clady's side. If Fitz didn't drift underneath Clady he would've had time. Sack was on him.

not bashing Fitz Enunwa bailed him out on a high throw thats a fact. Fitzpatrick is the starter lets go, Petty is pushing Geno. 

I was pleased with all 3 QB's last night. I like our receiving depth as well. Peake, Jalin Marshall, and Jeremy Ross look like nice players. I bet we keep 6 receivers going into the season.

Brandon Marshall

Erick Decker

Quincy Enunwa

Devin Smith

Jalin Marshall

Charone Peake

I bet Ross doesn't make it, getting beat out by Jalin, and Thompkins will be cut. Or I guess there is a possibility Devin Smith could land on the PUP list to start the season or short term IR.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

If Petty has a strong showing next week we can comfortably trade Geno who sucks. 

SAR I

Geno looks okay on the stat sheet. But he was gifted great field position by special teams, and still nearly effed it up. That check down 1 yard pass on 3rd and 3 should have been grounds to grab him by the facemask and tell him to get his head out of his ass. I HATED THAT FVCKIN' PUSSYBALL SCrARED PLAY. Says "This QB is a freaking dumbass who will NEVER get it". 

Just now, Bugg said:

Geno looks okay on the stat sheet. But he was gifted great field position by special teams, and still nearly effed it up. That check down 1 yard pass on 3rd and 3 should have been grounds to grab him by the facemask and tell him to get his head out of his ass. I HATED THAT FVCKIN' PUSSYBALL SCrARED PLAY. Says "This QB is a freaking dumbass who will NEVER get it". 

just a frustrating throw.  i just don't think he's grasped situational football.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Me neither the fact that Fitzpatrick was bailed out by Enunwa instead of Marshall and Decker solidifies him as the starting QB Geno Smith has some work to do as Bryce Petty seems to be on track to possibly be that guy for us. 

I wouldn't use the term bailed out, but let's just look at the positive - We've all heard about Enunwa's potential and saw some of it last season, but he also didn't look to have the best hands.  Then he's been talked up this off season working on avoiding drops.  The question was (and to be fair still is) whether he can put it together enough to be a solid #3wr.  Last night was a promising step in that direction.

For all the talk about how great it was having Marshall and Decker last year, TE produced nothing, and rotating players in to play #3 wideout was a season long exercise in frustration.  I don't think the team has much confidence in D Smith, injured or not.  So if Enunwa can be that guy, then of course he will be included in the attack.  Most successful passing games do not depend on only two players.

Just now, Big Blocker said:

I wouldn't use the term bailed out, but let's just look at the positive - We've all heard about Enunwa's potential and saw some of it last season, but he also didn't look to have the best hands.  Then he's been talked up this off season working on avoiding drops.  The question was (and to be fair still is) whether he can put it together enough to be a solid #3wr.  Last night was a promising step in that direction.

For all the talk about how great it was having Marshall and Decker last year, TE produced nothing, and rotating players in to play #3 wideout was a season long exercise in frustration.  I don't think the team has much confidence in D Smith, injured or not.  So if Enunwa can be that guy, then of course he will be included in the attack.  Most successful passing games do not depend on only two players.

Enunwa has stepped up to the challenge he's legit, 

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I was pleased with all 3 QB's last night. I like our receiving depth as well. Peake, Jalin Marshall, and Jeremy Ross look like nice players. I bet we keep 6 receivers going into the season.

Brandon Marshall

Erick Decker

Quincy Enunwa

Devin Smith

Jalin Marshall

Charone Peake

I bet Ross doesn't make it, getting beat out by Jalin, and Thompkins will be cut. Or I guess there is a possibility Devin Smith could land on the PUP list to start the season or short term IR.

I agree about Peake and Marshall, at least as of today.  That means it may end up that the real question there is whether they show loyalty to their second round pick or keep Thompkins.  Maybe they go inactive with D Smith as you suggest, but cutting Thompkins outright to keep Smith?  I don't know that that is a given at this point.  Smith has to get out there and show he can catch some balls.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I agree about Peake and Marshall, at least as of today.  That means it may end up that the real question there is whether they show loyalty to their second round pick or keep Thompkins.  Maybe they go inactive with D Smith as you suggest, but cutting Thompkins outright to keep Smith?  I don't know that that is a given at this point.  Smith has to get out there and show he can catch some balls.

what's so good about tompkins?  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

56 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I don't see how any Jets fan can complain about the Hack pick.  "Take a QB every draft till you find one."  I'll be more than happy going forward with Petty/Hack 1-2 in any order you like.  Next year it might very well be Petty/Hack/Rookie 1-2-3 in any order you like.  I've no problems with that. 

Because you probably could have had Hackenberg in the 4th round.

Also, because last night you likely saw the only reason Hackenberg was drafted at all wearing a Jaguars uniform and dominating*

*Yes, I know it was limited work.  Yes, I know it was preseason.  Yes, I know Revis wasn't playing

7 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I can't see any scenario right now in which they cut Smith. I think the Jets like him and feel he's bee derailed so far by injuries. He's had a rough start to his career and injuries have played a part. I doubt they cut a second rounder in year 2 whose been hurt.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

He made some nice catches last year with few opportunities, and the team liked him enough to bring him back.  It doesn't mean they will keep him, but I don't see how D Smith is a lock.

Hes not a lock he has some competition for the WR position

Gene's a practice all pro but the the live bullets start flying he falls apart. Petty showed me huge improvement over last year (poise, command, footwork) etc.

I'd rather see Petty progress than Smith regress should we need a backup this year.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I can't see any scenario right now in which they cut Smith. I think the Jets like him and feel he's bee derailed so far by injuries. He's had a rough start to his career and injuries have played a part. I doubt they cut a second rounder in year 2 whose been hurt.

What injuries? Do u mean the punch to his face!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

To really evaluate Petty fairly vs. Geno the coaches need to have them play with similar talent against similar talent.  Geno had the backup OL out there to create a pocket while Petty had a bunch of camp bodies that likely won't make the team.  But Geno also went up against better Jax players than Petty so maybe it's a wash.  If we are really thinking about cutting one of them, the coaches should let Petty play with the 2's (maybe start him in the Eagles game?) and compare how he does vs. Geno in similar circumstances.

Archived