Geno Smith losing Ground to Petty?

Charlie Brown

Ok so the headline maybe a little over the top. But just some.

As someone who thought that Geno might dramatically improve I was actually surprised by this report.

Indeed a couple of us actually speculated that Petty was overtaking Geno but I just thought that was in part just the typical Geno hate out here.  But guess what?

You may be right after all!!

Read this about today's practice....

http://nypost.com/2016/08/16/geno-smith-is-losing-it-at-jets-camp/

Geno Smith is losing it at Jets camp

Geno Smith’s uneven summer continued Tuesday, with the backup quarterback struggling so mightily during practice that he slammed his helmet to the ground. Smith was almost intercepted multiple times, was inaccurate and fumbled a few snaps.

Smith again declined to speak to reporters following several stories early last week, including one in The Post, about the one-year anniversary of his jaw getting broken by IK Enemkpali. Smith was booed in the preseason opener Thursday against the Jaguars, and declined to be interviewed afterward, a violation of NFL policy.

On Sunday, he tweeted: “If they don’t have a story these days, they’ll make one.”

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7
opt-out-icon2.png

Smith received less reps than fellow quarterback Bryce Petty, but coach Todd Bowles said that was more to get a better look at Petty. On Saturday, Bowles said there is no competition for the backup job behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick.

“We like to mix and match people to see how they match up and play,” Bowles said, referring to Petty getting more reps than Smith. “A lot of guys are put first, second and third team. That doesn’t mean anything.”

Bowles said all four quarterbacks “have to be ready to play” in Friday’s second preseason game against the Redskins, but he wouldn’t reveal his plans for the game as of yet.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So there we have it Petty is liked more than most of us thought or maybe Geno wont be able to get it done in New York at all but one bad practice isn't everything, is it?

Or is it as usual the NY media making something outa nothing.......

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media reaches and will continue to put Geno in the ground for not wanting to participate in their "1 year anniversary" nonsense. The media controls the narrative. Just a week or two ago Marshall was pissed and kicked a football into the stands and wanted to slam his helmet but couldnt get it off his head to do so. Seems like that's what football players do when they are not getting it done on a particular day. 

atleast Charley Casserly is looking at the bright side of things when it comes to Geno Smith. 

Charley Casserly scolds Jets fans for booing Geno Smith, says he is NFL's best backup QB

Geno Smith
New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith throws during practice at the NFL football teams training camp in Florham Park, N.J., Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2016. (AP Photo | Seth Wenig)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on August 16, 2016 at 6:00 AM, updated August 16, 2016 at 7:09 AM

After the 2014 season, Jets owner Woody Johnson hired ex-NFL general managers Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf to help find him a new head coach and GM. 

Though Casserly no longer works for the Jets — it was a one-time consultant thing — he remains a prominent voice in the NFL.

On Monday, during an NFL Network appearance, Casserly had some interesting things to say about Jets quarterback Geno Smith, their former starter and current backup. Some fans booed Smith during Thursday's preseason opener. 

"Now we've got to have a talk, Jet fans," Casserly said. "You know I came in there with Ron Wolf. Woody Johnson hired us to help straighten this thing out. So just sit down in the chair, because after I get done, you're going to be laying on the floor, with this statement I'm going to make: Let up on Geno Smith. Stop booing the guy. He's not A-Rod! Just stop it!

"Just relax. You know who the best backup quarterback in the league is? It's Geno Smith. Write that down. Relax! No booing!" 

Ranking top 20 most important Jets for 2016

Ranking top 20 most important Jets for 2016

Who is the most important?

Casserly said he likes Smith's potential partly because offensive coordinator Chan Gailey "can do wonders with quarterbacks."

Casserly watched film of the Jets' preseason opener against the Jaguars, and said he noticed this about Smith: "Physical throws, quickness of release. He knows the system. He was decisive [with] where to go with the ball. He could make plays out of the pocket. The accuracy deep probably could've been a little bit better." 

Smith has a firm hold on the Jets' No. 2 quarterback job. He isn't going to become the starter or fall to No. 3 before Week 1. Second-year pro Bryce Petty is third on the depth chart, and the Jets must evaluate him this month, as they decide whether to retain four quarterbacks. Rookie Christian Hackenberg, fourth on the depth chart, isn't going anywhere. But Petty could be cut off the 53-man roster. 

"You've got to find out if he can play," Casserly said. "Because next year, Geno Smith is a free agent, and Ryan Fitzpatrick is a free agent. You don't have a veteran quarterback under contract.

"What I liked about Petty [from Jaguars-Jets] is I saw this guy make plays throwing the ball. I saw physical skills. I saw he knew the system. He was poised in the pocket. There were some minor accuracy issues. Lot of positives.

"You're going to see a lot of Bryce Petty [in the Jets' preseason games]. Don't read into [as] a competition for the No. 2 quarterback. Read into it: Can this guy play in the league? Jet fans, pray that he can play. Keep him. Keep four quarterbacks. It's hard to find quarterbacks. This is a tryout for Bryce Petty, for his NFL career." 

If this is true, then Geno simply doesn't have the mental makeup to be an NFL QB despite his physical ability. He's been reportedly having a good camp. If he falls apart the second things don't go his way (Petty getting reps with the 2's because Geno was mediocre in last week's game), then it doesn't matter what weaponzzz or coaching staff he has around him. He's destined to fail yet again. And if that's the case then cut him now, and give Petty all of the second team reps, and give Hack all of the time with the 3's.

End this charade. 

10 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

If this is true, then Geno simply doesn't have the mental makeup to be an NFL QB despite his physical ability. He's been reportedly having a good camp. If he falls apart the second things don't go his way (Petty getting reps with the 2's because Geno was mediocre in last week's game), then it doesn't matter what weaponzzz or coaching staff he has around him. He's destined to fail yet again. And if that's the case then cut him now, and give Petty all of the second team reps, and give Hack all of the time with the 3's.

End this charade. 

And I agree with your point if Geno is in fact not responding well mentally to the pressure, though I would say that the amount off pressure on this kid is rather great at the moment. 

However, I dont understand the media. We both have seen how its been reported that he's been having a good camp. The moment he stops talking to the media given that 1 year anniversary push they suddenly change it to "His uneven summer continues". Either he was having a good camp or not. These beatwriters need to make up their mind. 

Its to the point that when it comes to Geno that if you're not an NFL analyst or Geno's coach im basically taking these articles with a huge grain of salt and I'd rather see his performance on the field. 

Really Petty hasn't proven anything yet. I think that Bowles means it when he says that there is no Qb competition for backup. Petty is capable of making a good play or two but he hasn't shown the ability to sustain a drive and get 7. He'll probably play a lot on Friday. But Geno has to keep it under control and start showing he's an NFL Qb. He's had plenty of chances and neither FO or coaching staff has been unfair to him. Rex had to bench him and he even gave him his job back that year. 

11 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

End this charade. 

Funny thing is that almost any other QB having the same day such as Fitz would bting about comments like:

:"Fitz just won't accept failure"

"Fitz just shows passion that Geno does not have, clearly Geno does not get it"

"Fitz showing everyone they are held to a higher standard"

"Fitz showing raw emotion and how important football is to him"

And on and on and on.

Rather subjective article taking a cheap shot at a cheap target IMO.

I've seen nothing out of Geno this summer that's been an issue. He did the pre season camps, took it as well as he could when Fitz signed, hasn't done anything I would call dumb. He's been pretty heads down.

He's never going to be a fan favorite but the beat writers are just making waves on this one. Geno could park a little crooked in the car park and they would say it's a sign of him losing it.

The article tells me more about the writer trying to keep his job than Geno losing his.

"  declined to be interviewedafterward, a violation of NFL policy. " . Oh no, make the bad man stop. Really, suck it up princess, the backup QB not wanting to be interviewed, cry me a river.

Poor Geno

the fans don't like him

the media don't like him

and I hear the family dog leaves the room whenever he enters

oh and he hears footsteps that is why all the arm strength in the world does not matter when he drill the football into the ground at wr feet

It's kind of hard for me to take Casserly seriously. The last time I saw him on camera he was goofing around and acting like a clown. And all through the Fitz non signing he was obviously backing up Mac and the Jets org over Fitz and look at the results. The amount of money Fitz asked for two months earlier they could have signed him for. Not a big pay day for Fitz, less guaranteed money as mentioned a deal that could have been signed much earlier. But the Jets played hardball and it was stupid. It didn't help the team at all and didn't save them money. The fans can boo Geno if they want to boo him. He's not the best backup but he might be in the top half maybe top ten. 

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Really Petty hasn't proven anything yet. I think that Bowles means it when he says that there is no Qb competition for backup. Petty is capable of making a good play or two but he hasn't shown the ability to sustain a drive and get 7. He'll probably play a lot on Friday. 

Yep for me that's the next step in Petty's growth, regardless of Geno or anyone else. 

He's played good for a series or two, now sustain it for a half or more.

I like what Petty is producing, he is showing progress and doing nothing wrong in showing he's going to have some kind of career.

Petty has more upside and was drafted by the current regime, so if they feel he can be a competent backup QB, he'll be the guy and they'll either trade or release Geno, or keep 4 QBs, maybe find an excuse to park Hack on IR.  It's up to Petty to prove he can meet that 2nd string standard of play in the next 2-3 games.

I thought Petty did quite well in the first game and earned more reps.  He was flinging it around, using that special arm, with quick release time.  He also didn't force it and checked it down when necessary, which is what you want to see.  If he keeps it up the job could be his.  The one thing I didn't like is he still looks awkward making handoffs from under center, his footwork isn't where it needs to be in that department.   But that isn't a huge part of Gailey's playbook either.

47 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

As someone who thought that Geno might dramatically improve I was actually surprised by this report.

Indeed a couple of us actually speculated that Petty was overtaking Geno but I just thought that was in part just the typical Geno hate out here.  But guess what?

Geno Smith’s uneven summer continued Tuesday, with the backup quarterback struggling so mightily during practice that he slammed his helmet to the ground. Smith was almost intercepted multiple times, was inaccurate and fumbled a few snaps.

Smith again declined to speak to reporters following several stories early last week, including one in The Post, about the one-year anniversary of his jaw getting broken by IK Enemkpali. Smith was booed in the preseason opener Thursday against the Jaguars, and declined to be interviewed afterward, a violation of NFL policy.

On Sunday, he tweeted: “If they don’t have a story these days, they’ll make one.”

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––
opt-out-icon2.png

Smith received less reps than fellow quarterback Bryce Petty, but coach Todd Bowles said that was more to get a better look at Petty. On Saturday, Bowles said there is no competition for the backup job behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick.

“We like to mix and match people to see how they match up and play,” Bowles said, referring to Petty getting more reps than Smith. “A lot of guys are put first, second and third team. That doesn’t mean anything.”

Bowles said all four quarterbacks “have to be ready to play” in Friday’s second preseason game against the Redskins, but he wouldn’t reveal his plans for the game as of yet.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So there we have it Petty is liked more than most of us thought or maybe Geno wont be able to get it done in New York at all but one bad practice isn't everything, is it?

1) It is the post. The enquirer of NY papers. 

2) Any writer that doesn't know when to use fewer vs less has no business commenting on how anyone else does their job. 

3) I don't like Geno, but this is exaggerated. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's kind of hard for me to take Casserly seriously. The last time I saw him on camera he was goofing around and acting like a clown. And all through the Fitz non signing he was obviously backing up Mac and the Jets org over Fitz and look at the results. The amount of money Fitz asked for two months earlier they could have signed him for. Not a big pay day for Fitz, less guaranteed money as mentioned a deal that could have been signed much earlier. But the Jets played hardball and it was stupid. It didn't help the team at all and didn't save them money. The fans can boo Geno if they want to boo him. He's not the best backup but he might be in the top half maybe top ten. 

Well we certainly know where your loyalty lies when it comes to Fitzpatrick, so I can see where you're coming from. 

Also, of course Geno isnt the best back up in the league. Mike Glennon is! ;)

LOL, best backup in the league, well, I guess we have that going for us. That and $1.25 will leave you $0.75 short of a starbucks small coffee.

Best backup in the league means something under 1 of 2 scenarios, 1, you are a SB caliber team, and you need to make sure if you lose your QB for a game or two, you can be OK. 2, your great backup can actually start in this league.

We have neither, so we got nadda.

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well we certainly know where your loyalty lies when it comes to Fitzpatrick, so I can see where you're coming from. 

Also, of course Geno isnt the best back up in the league. Mike Glennon is! ;)

You might be right about Glennon who is going to get a chance to start some day. Again there is a poor market for starting Qbs this year maybe next year more job openings. The same could happen to Geno but imo Glennon is two steps up on him. Geno would have to win a job in a true Qb competition in training camp. Or get a shot to play because of an injury. That's the way a Qb gets back into the mix as a starter. But the bottom line is they have to play well. And Geno hasn't proven himself on the field over a period of time. He has proven he has the talent to win games just not consistently. Petty hasn't proven that even in exhibition games. 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

geno started camp so well, he needs to show some poise now

Yeah, poise is the key word for him. If he doesn't show it they might get rid of him. Because they will need poise on the field. There is a very good chance the Jets backup no matter who he is will get to play. 

55 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Funny thing is that almost any other QB having the same day such as Fitz would bting about comments like:

And on and on and on.

Were you having a stroke when you posted this? I read it 3 times and couldn't figure out what the hell you were trying to say, and I think English is my first language ... but I could be wrong.

39 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

1) It is the post. The enquirer of NY papers. 

2) Any writer that doesn't know when to use fewer vs less has no business commenting on how anyone else does their job. 

3) I don't like Geno, but this is exaggerated. 

Geno got fewer reps, stunk up the field v.s. the 2nd string defense, and threw his helmet.  Why are you pissed at the reporter? Seems to me that Geno has been losing it a bit as things contunue to break badly for him.   

So we know have camp scouts Zack Braziller?  who professionally grade players based on camp play hard pressed to judge any player based on training camp what the hell this hate for Geno Smith is bad worse than anyone thought all towards a guy who never did a damn thing to Jets fans or the organization. Sheesh 

Charlie Brown :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

The media reaches and will continue to put Geno in the ground for not wanting to participate in their "1 year anniversary" nonsense. The media controls the narrative. Just a week or two ago Marshall was pissed and kicked a football into the stands and wanted to slam his helmet but couldnt get it off his head to do so. Seems like that's what football players do when they are not getting it done on a particular day. 

I agree 100%... even though IMO geno blows... the media, be it politics, police or sports WILL ALWAYS SKEW or INFLAME the story.  :/

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

And on and on and on.

Geez, you're falling apart more than Geno is. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

And on and on and on.

You think? I guess we'll just have to imagine what would happen if Fitz acted this way. Every time I've seen things go wrong he goes over to his players and tries to fix the problems. 

Thank God Petty is following in Fitz' footsteps. 

11 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I agree 100%... even though IMO geno blows... the media, be it politics, police or sports WILL ALWAYS SKEW or INFLAME the story.  :/

Total BS.  Any level headed human being would know that the media would ask about the punch on its 1 year anniversary and would have prepared for that.....not run and hide!

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Total BS.  Any level headed human being would know that the media would ask about the punch on its 1 year anniversary and would have prepared for that.....not run and hide!

Believe it or not, you actually proved his point with your comment on what the media "would do". Reread his comment and your response again. You said it yourself

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––
opt-out-icon2.png

What this story fails to report because it does not fit their agenda is that Geno from twitter reports bounced back after slamming his helmet to have a good finish to the practice.  Just another media guy looking for clicks.

Archived