When does Geno get cut/traded?

k-met57

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

Should have been five minutes after the Redskins game. I don't need to "look at the film" my TV set told me everything I needed to know.

I kinda agree, but at the same time Fitz does not come close to passing the eye test either.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

After next weeks game.  Cant cut him now cause fitz will play 2 1/2 quarters next week.  If fitz makes it through healthy, geno is toast.

no trade value so he will be released outright.

Agree no one will trade a pick for a guy that will eventually be cut his landing spot might be the NY Giants Nassib is terrible 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Petty still needs to bring it in camp and during the last 2 preseason games. There is also zero reason to cut Geno this early in camp. What if petty gets hurt? 

Your collective hate skews your views on how to manage a roster.

Dont waste your time agree with them they the Geno haters just want to something to argue about and be angry about. 

Bryce Petty looks good be happy he might be that guy

There is no reason to cut Geno this early.  It would be amillogical to do so.  It would be done just out of spite.  

Petty/Fitz could get hurt, another team could lose a QB giving him trade value.  

If you think he's done here stop giving him practice reps, but no reason to cut him. 

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You have to say our fans are true front runners. They want to cut a guy based on one exhibition game. But don't get me wrong. If I got an offer for Geno from another team I'd jump on it. 

Let's ignore 1 year of bad rookie play followed by 1 year of play so bad Rex benched him, followed by an opportunity lost to immaturity/lack of accountability/ lack of leadership, followed 2 bad preseason games.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Let's ignore 1 year of bad rookie play followed by 1 year of play so bad Rex benched him, followed by an opportunity lost to immaturity/lack of accountability/ lack of leadership, followed 2 bad preseason games.

All of this is true, but maybe we should wait to see if Petty is good against someone other than 3rd stringers before we cut our only experienced backup QB.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

I can't dispute any of that. Just have no complete faith in Petty. And I'm not going crazy over him because he has a big arm or he looked good yesterday. Geno played in one real game last year and was ok. He did a workmanlike job and wasn't terrible. But if Petty started for two seasons could he be 11-18. That's not so hard to do. It's a little better than .333.

I think if the plan is to cut him at some point the front office has to look at any possible trade scenarios early this week. Once Petty replaces Fitz next week at some point in the 3rd or 4th quarter the entire league will know that Geno is being cut. So if a trade is possible it has to be done this week in my opinion. 

Just now, Kevin L said:

All of this is true, but maybe we should wait to see if Petty is good against someone other than 3rd stringers before we cut our only experienced backup QB.

I would agree with this except if Fitz goes down, the jets will likely have a losing record regardless of who comes in, not because Fitz is great but he's definitely better in this offense than Geno. At this point I know Geno isn't the guy and losing with him does nothing but losing with Petty can have positives.

8 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Agreed we have to see more from Petty, but we have two experienced backup QBs.

We're missing a starter.

51 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Don't think it'd happen until after preseason week 4.  It'd take Petty playing pretty damn good next week, Hack showing something decent at some point and Geno having another bad outting.

wow what a 180!!!! 

I can't believe we spent months on here listening to guys say Geno was a quality STARTER what a joke....all the arguing, just wow

8 minutes ago, mickeyshuler said:

wow what a 180!!!! 

I can't believe we spent months on here listening to guys say Geno was a quality STARTER what a joke....all the arguing, just wow

Me?  I always said any Geno outcome was better than spending over 7mil on Fitz.  And I still believe that.  

But Fitz is now making 12mil!  That changes things.  We're stuck with the big salary and Mr. Mediocre.

If Fitz was still unsigned, I'd really prefer a battle between Geno and Petty for #1 while Hack gets much needed reps.  The extra 12mil could have been saved for 1 great or 2 decent linemen next season.

But again, it is what it is now.  Fitz is gonna be our starter for at least a few weeks.  In meantime the young guys with potential are battling it out for #2.  May the best man win the job.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Me?  I always said any Geno outcome was better than spending over 7mil on Fitz.  And I still believe that.  

But Fitz is now making 12mil!  That changes things.  We're stuck with the big salary and Mr. Mediocre.

If Fitz was still unsigned, I'd really prefer a battle between Geno and Petty for #1 while Hack gets much needed reps.  Then extra 12mil could have been saved for 1 great or 2 decent linemen next season.

But again, it is what it is now.  Fitz is gonna be our starter for at least a few weeks.  In meantime the young guys with potential are battling it out for #2.  May the best man win the job.

Potential and Geno are two words that shouldn't have been uttered together since 2014.

Fitz is LIGHT years ahead of everyone on the roster, and will prob be the starter till 2018

1 minute ago, mickeyshuler said:

Potential and Geno are two words that shouldn't have been uttered together since 2014.

Fitz is LIGHT years ahead of everyone on the roster, and will prob be the starter till 2018

Well, he's a Jet now, so I'll keep it positive.  Hopefully Fitz can become a good QB.  He did show some signs at times last season.  Maybe in his 12th season, things click.

You have to say our fans are true front runners. They want to cut a guy based on one exhibition game. But don't get me wrong. If I got an offer for Geno from another team I'd jump on it. 

Really? Being a Jets fan is the opposite of front running. Midget fans on the other hand...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would agree with this except if Fitz goes down, the jets will likely have a losing record regardless of who comes in, not because Fitz is great but he's definitely better in this offense than Geno. At this point I know Geno isn't the guy and losing with him does nothing but losing with Petty can have positives.

I'm curious based on how bad their record could be if they draft another QB next year considering the current QB's on the roster.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

as early as Monday? if not then the following Monday? he isn't is also an acceptable response.

Geno Smith isn't getting cut.   Only Jet qb competing for the backup job , that has actual NFL game experience.    

There is a big difference playing well at Qb in the preseason , and in the real season.  The defense the Qb will see in the regular season is like night and day, from what he sees in the preseason . see Browning Nagle looked like the second coming of Joe Namath in the preseason, only to struggle bigtime when the regular season was played.

Petty looked like he was going to be the odd man out , but his play in the preseason has earned him a roster spot.    Looks like Hackenburg will find his way to Ir.( look for him to get mysterious injury after the fourth week).  Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith , and Petty will be the three Qb's they keep.   Hackenburg to Ir.    Geno Smith will start out being Fitzpatrick backup.   Petty has a chance to eventually take that job before season end.

No real reason to cut smith now.  He'll remain on the team until the final cuts for two reasons.

Maybe something happens on another teams QB depth chart (injury) that they might be willing to trade a late round pick for him.  Unlikely but possible

Maybe something happens on the Jets QB depth chart (injury) that they might have to keep him.

With that said, i do think that Petty should now get the 2nd team reps in practice, and games, and Hack should get the 3's.  Probably won't happen because that would definitely put any chance of a trade out of the question. 

Archived