Report: Jets Meeting with Karlos Williams

JetNation

28 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

There was a Slats on the old AOL Jets board with jets1girl.  Pretty astute Jets fan. Are you that guy?

The old AOL days were great. It's what got me started with this nonsense.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

he gets put on the Reserve-suspended list for the first four games, and doesn't take up a roster spot

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Yeah so then why the heck would Buffalo not wait the first four weeks and see if he could get back in shape? There is something ugly to this story that hasn't come out yet.

6 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I agree with this 100% Rex loves the ground and pound game if he doesn't think this kid is worth keeping on his roster after a solid rookie season then this kid has trouble written all over him.

May have been the FO messing with Rex.  Rex was supportive, said he wasn't getting cut and then he was.  Sounds like Rex is being treated differently than a year ago when it comes to personnel moves

2 hours ago, jeaniec said:

Yes.  JMO - I think we are not getting the entire story on Williams.  There has to be other reasons as to why the Bills let this great RB go.

I think after Lawson gets suspended the Bills don't want to pay the 250K fine for 3 suspended players.  Plus think Bills thought they needed to set an example with someone after Dareus.

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think after Lawson gets suspended the Bills don't want to pay the 250K fine for 3 suspended players.  Plus think Bills thought they needed to set an example with someone after Dareus.

A total of $750K in suspension fees is a small price to pay for good players.  I don't see the money as an issue.

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Averaged 5.6 yards per carry last season.  Only fumbled twice.  Caught 11 of 14 targets out of the backfield, 2 of them for TD's.  30.4 % DVOA, which would have ranked him # 1 in the NFL if he had a large enough sample size.  23 years old. 

Yeah, this is a no brainer to at least bring him in for a workout/meeting.  I'm surprised he cleared waivers.  Must be a really bad dude.  Friggin Florida State, right @JiF?

It's a no-brainer to try to sign him.  If he can get the weight  off he'd the best running back on our roster

Plus he's going to want the rock bad week 17 against Rex

8 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Very nice to see you again. Its been a long time. I miss the AOL Jets board. This one is nice also but that was like our cherry buster, you know Internet , chat rooms, dial up and AOL killed it.

Yes, back in the days when AOL was the entire internet, lol. I actually met jets1girl and a few other regulars in person. I've posted on Usenet (back when SAR I had a foot fetish and was much more offensive), then the New York Times board, which I enjoyed and became NYJetsChat when the Times closed it down. This is a good place, though. Been settled here for a long time now. 

The Bills have McCoy as their starter plus three young backs -- Mike Gillislee, Jonathan Williams, and Boom Herron --  that all moved ahead of Karlos while he was losing weight and getting in shape.  Plus they have Reggie Bush and another youngster, James Wilder, Jr, as well.  I think that the Bills FO felt that any of the three young guys were at least as good as the #2 back as Williams and that they decided that they didn't need/want to bother with a RB who was going to miss a quarter of the season.  Maybe they weren't happy with his effort to get into shape. 

I think that cutting Karlos may have served as a lesson to other players that you have to produce this season not expect to get a pass because of what you did last season. 

If the Jets pick up Karlos, I hope he runs wild through the league except when he plays against the Bills.

On August 24, 2016 at 9:45 AM, HDKostempski said:

The Bills have McCoy as their starter plus three young backs -- Mike Gillislee, Jonathan Williams, and Boom Herron --  that all moved ahead of Karlos while he was losing weight and getting in shape.  Plus they have Reggie Bush and another youngster, James Wilder, Jr, as well.  I think that the Bills FO felt that any of the three young guys were at least as good as the #2 back as Williams and that they decided that they didn't need/want to bother with a RB who was going to miss a quarter of the season.  Maybe they weren't happy with his effort to get into shape. 

I think that cutting Karlos may have served as a lesson to other players that you have to produce this season not expect to get a pass because of what you did last season. 

If the Jets pick up Karlos, I hope he runs wild through the league except when he plays against the Bills.

Isn't Reggie Bush their #2 back now?

I haven't read this whole thread so if this was discussed forgive me but from what I've read about Williams I think this is more about his concussion history then the suspension or showing up out of shape.  I think he has had several concussions already and for a young player he could be one or two hits from retirement anyway.  The suspension and the out of shape probably more icing on the cake to help make the decision easier.

"I thought it was just my stomach acting up, throwing up," Williams told reporters Monday. "Me just feeling a little nauseated. Headaches, pains toward the end of the game. I thought it was just me being tired, me being dehydrated.

"But definitely as I got home, I knew that something wasn't right. My balance was off. It wasn't dehydration. I was drinking Pedialyte and water at halftime, so it couldn't have been that," Williams continued.

Williams returned to the Bills' training facility a few hours after leaving, and was immediately placed into the NFL's concussion protocol. His fiancée had to drive him, and she would help take care of him for almost a month.

"Having really bad headaches. Not being able to sleep. Not being able to eat. Kind of side effects I've had over the years from having concussions: just being very, very groggy," said Williams when describing the symptoms of his third concussion. "Wanting to be up. Wanting to watch things. [But your] eyes hurt real, real bad. Very sensitive to light. Things like that. You're always tired. You can't sleep. Your head's always kind of pounding, throbbing. Your head feels tight."

Williams continued to reference the headaches the entire time he was speaking with reporters. He and his fiancée darkened their home - no sunlight, no artificial lights, no television, no driving for more than a week. After a period of time, he was able to slowly reintroduce everything. He had a setback when he tried lifting weights.

Very scary stuff and for a physical runner like he is, it more than likely will happen again unfortunately

On August 24, 2016 at 4:44 PM, slats said:

Yes, back in the days when AOL was the entire internet, lol. I actually met jets1girl and a few other regulars in person. I've posted on Usenet (back when SAR I had a foot fetish and was much more offensive), then the New York Times board, which I enjoyed and became NYJetsChat when the Times closed it down. This is a good place, though. Been settled here for a long time now. 

Yes I used to live for the Monday chats on the Jets board. Can't believe how long ago that was. 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, slats said:

I used to chat on that Jets board as well I was Ajmags back then used to get trolled by the Pats fans there too LOL

On August 24, 2016 at 9:44 AM, slats said:

Usenet was awesome back in the day, I still can't locate JHD IV who started the whole initials-as-sig thing. 

SAR I

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I thought that trend started w/ SAR I

No, he did it first and I thought it was pretentious so I did it to be sarcastic.

Now that no one remembers JHD IV I'm the one who looks pretentious and I find that funny.

SAR I

On 8/23/2016 at 9:23 PM, Harlemnite1 said:

I like it and hope the Jets can find a way to get him on the team. Forte is on the wrong side of 30 and really can't get 2 yards when you need it especially with our O line. Powell is brittle and we don't know what we have in Robinson. This is a young trying to figure it out. Keep him away from Sheldon Richardson and we have a player.

If you think Powell is brittle then what is Karlos Williams?  Guy gets hurt a lot. A walking concussion.  I think this is the real reason the Bills cast him aside.

On 8/23/2016 at 10:17 PM, slats said:

Agree. I like the move. Powell is only signed for this year, and contrary to a lot of folks around here, I don't consider Forte to be a slam dunk. Talented kid. Gets his head on straight, and it could be a great signing. 

Powell is signed through 2018 (3 yrs) but can be cut after year 2 with only a $900,000 cap hit.  He is guaranteed  $6 million.  Cut him after this season and it's more like a $4.5 million cap hit.  Powell will be here at least the next 2 years.

17 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Yes I used to live for the Monday chats on the Jets board. Can't believe how long ago that was. 

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I used to chat on that Jets board as well I was Ajmags back then used to get trolled by the Pats fans there too LOL

I began my message board experience on usenet  (alt.sports.pro.football.ny-jets) and I remember Slats and SAR there.  I forgot about all of Scott's foot fetish stuff.  Brings a smile to my face.  SAR was the best thorn in Miami Dolphin fans sides that I have ever seen.  Then he did it to the Pats fans after Parcells bolted there to come here. My user name was "Tutor" back then.

22 hours ago, Dcat said:

If you think Powell is brittle then what is Karlos Williams?  Guy gets hurt a lot. A walking concussion.  I think this is the real reason the Bills cast him aside.

So?  He's not even playing the first 4 games and when does play he'll get only 5-7 carries per game

• 2 months later...

Karlos Williams suspended 10 games; 2nd ban this season

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Karlos Williams has been suspended 10 games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, a source confirmed to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The suspension is the second this season for Williams, who is currently on the Steelers' practice squad. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2016 season for a substance-abuse policy violation while he was a member of the Buffalo Bills, who released him on Aug. 21.

The Steelers signed Williams to their practice squad on Oct. 12. His brother, linebacker Vince Williams, is in his fourth season with the Steelers.

Williams, 23, began training camp on the Bills' active/non-football illness list after he reported to minicamp in June out of shape. His weight went as high as 261 pounds during the offseason, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Williams attributed his weight gain to his pregnant fiancée's food cravings.

A fifth-round pick by the Bills in 2015, Williams played in 11 games, starting three. He gained 517 yards on 93 carries and scored seven rushing touchdowns in addition to two receiving touchdowns.

He tied an NFL record in 2015 by scoring a touchdown in each of his first six games played in the league. New England Patriots running back Robert Edwards also scored touchdowns in his first six games as a rookie in 1998.

The news of Williams' 10-game suspension was first reported by NFL Network.

Archived