Jared Goff demoted to 3rd string- what a mess for the Rams

Matt39

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

the Hackenberg pick looks bad ?? You realize the kid has not gotten very many reps right ? Goff looks like horse sh*t and he's had 10x the amount of reps Hack has.

Don't bother. Hes been suggesting since training camp that we cut him.  You're wasting brain cells with someone like that.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Right, because Hack played bad football at a stage of his career you should expect him to play... bad football.

Reality is, if Dak Prescott didn't play so well in preseason, the complaints wouldn't be so mellowdramatic, but having one rookie look better than Hack = buyers remorse, sky falling, put up the billboards.

Our fans. Special.

Very generous word here to describe our fans. I'm finding it harder and harder to do the same.

2 hours ago, TheMagicRat said:

I know this is 2016 and if you're not a stud as soon as you step onto the field you're a bust...but doesn't it make more sense to sit a rookie QB for a year especially now a days when most of the colleges run the spread? Rookie QBs used to sit all the time their first year and then start the second to get acclimated to the game. Why should this idea get thrown by the wayside?

Because when you're a butthurt manchild who's pissed off that you're favorite team took a player you don't like, the first thing you should do is rant about who you wanted instead and make unfunny sarcastic and passive-aggressive  jokes that derail any real discussion on the player.  That, according to some, is the ideal way to handle the situation. You know, instead of being a grown up and just hoping everything works out, for the best even though you disagree.  

I guess that's not as entertaining as posting SPARQ scorez like they mean anything or screaming to the heavens that you hope we cut our Rookie 2nd rounder though.

2 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Mac tried to trade up for Goff.

Mac tried to trade up for one of the two.  Which one?  We don't know. Either way, he saw the price as way too steep and passed.  I'm actually happy we have a GM that does his due diligence.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Mac tried to trade up for one of the two.  Which one?  We don't know. Either way, he saw the price as way too steep and passed.  I'm actually happy we have a GM that does his due diligence.

It was Goff.  Trust me.

Also, Goff has all the goods to be a great QB.  What a ******* overreaction thread.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We do know. Macaggnan admitted he tried to trade up to 1 and I don't think we met with Wentz aside from the Senior Bowl.

6 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

It was Goff.  Trust me.

Also, Goff has all the goods to be a great QB.  What a ******* overreaction thread.

I agree on both points. Goff will likely be fine.  This thread doesn't shock me though.  The OP was screaming to cut a rookie 2nd rounder weeks ago. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We do know. Macaggnan admitted he tried to trade up to 1 and I don't think we met with Wentz aside from the Senior Bowl.

Oh I agree. But we'll never know 100%.  I also think that we had a private workout with Wentz at the combine but I might be wrong on that.

Just now, Mogglez said:

I agree on both points. Goff will likely be fine.  This thread doesn't shock me though.  

I really don't see the issue with easing a first-year QB in.  Some guys need a little longer to get it going and/or the situation isn't quite right.  I'm sure Houston regrets throwing David Carr behind that sh*t offensive line.  Not even Peyton Manning would have developed in that situation.

Just now, detectivekimble said:

I really don't see the issue with easing a first-year QB in.  Some guys need a little longer to get it going and/or the situation isn't quite right.  I'm sure Houston regrets throwing David Carr behind that sh*t offensive line.  Not even Peyton Manning would have developed in that situation.

There's no issue with it whatsoever...if you actually have the mental capacity to understand football and the development of players.  Nowadays though, every idiot wants their own Ryan, Flacco, Cam, Luck, Winston, Mariota, etc that they basically throw common sense out the f*cking window and sh*t all over any prospect that takes a little seasoning.  

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why is it that a rookie QB being inactive for the first game of his career is a big deal? Also, it could just be Jeff Fisher sucking out loud again. 

Because the 2nd pick overall is starting week 1 despite missing all of the preseason with broken ribs.  Rams made the wrong pick.

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Because the 2nd pick overall is starting week 1 despite missing all of the preseason with broken ribs.  Rams made the wrong pick.

So if your first kid starts reading at age 4 and your second kid doesn't start reading until age 5, should you cut the second kid out of the family and let them fend for themselves and admit you made a mistake?

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

You have a lot of posts here what's your excuse. 

Do you really understand how dumb that thought process is? 

Luck, both Mannings all were 4 yr starters and struggled their rookie season. Eli sat for the first 3 months. 

and is still throwing his fair share of stupid INTs.  Amazing how people take no notice of all the dumb INTs "good" QBs throw but vomit in their mouths when a rook does it.  The real story is production. Put up the points, throw the TD  passes and INTs become an afterthought.

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

There's no issue with it whatsoever...if you actually have the mental capacity to understand football and the development of players.  Nowadays though, every idiot wants their own Ryan, Flacco, Cam, Luck, Winston, Mariota, etc that they basically throw common sense out the f*cking window and sh*t all over any prospect that takes a little seasoning.  

I would like to admit that I am 100% one of those idiots.  Oh yeah you forgot to add Wilson.  Draft, play, win.  That's my triune of the NLF quarterback.  Seasoning is for food if you ask this fatman. 

I don't think it EVER works out when a team trades tons of players and draft choices for one guy. The Hershel Walker trade is one example, but I know there are other examples as well, just can't remember them. Don't know how teams keep making the same mistake, gambling their future for one guy, and in this case, a totally unproven guy.

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

He was not so bad under O'Brien his freshman year in a pro style offense when everyone was gushing all over him. O'Brien leaves and the entire Program goes in the sh*tter and incredibly Hackenberg now sucks. You know better than that.

Dare I say Hackenberg was pretty good running a pro style offense as a freshman.  Had O'Brien stayed Hackenberg may have been the QB that everyone would have been drooling over.   The Jets are betting on him being that freshman QB again...eventually....

6 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

I don't think it EVER works out when a team trades tons of players and draft choices for one guy. The Hershel Walker trade is one example, but I know there are other examples as well, just can't remember them. Don't know how teams keep making the same mistake, gambling their future for one guy, and in this case, a totally unproven guy.

To the best of my recollection, It definitely does not work out when you don't use the player properly....  The Vikings ignored the tape.  Hershel ran out of the I formation....Minnesota did not run him out of the right offensive formation..... 

10 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Most recent guy I could think of is RGIII ... Skins gave up a lot for him and got one great season, then it all went south. I know injuries played a part, but they weren't the whole story.

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I would like to admit that I am 100% one of those idiots.  Oh yeah you forgot to add Wilson.  Draft, play, win.  That's my triune of the NLF quarterback.  Seasoning is for food if you ask this fatman. 

There are 4 ways to go.

If you want a great prospect you have to finish in last place. No one is trading Peyton, Cam or Luck for any amount of picks.

If you want a prototypical QB that has no major warts then you need to give up the farm to go get him, and then it's still less than 50/50.

You can get a QB with physical limitations later in the draft and get lucky like Wilson, or Brees but that's shear luck. Anyway hundreds of these get drafted and only a handful work out.

You can look for a prototypical QB that has a flaw/flaws that you think might be correctable. This is Petty, and Hack. Rodgers is the poster boy for this group. You're not going to hit on every one but you only need one. Keep drafting them MAc.

I think dozens of potentially great QBs are selling insurance that never got the chance to work through their bad habits. This is why I have the disdain for guys like Geno, and Sanchez. All the chances in the world but still not taking it seriously.

Great QBs don't just have to do there jobs but they must go out of there way to make sure everyone is pulling the same direction. If I don't see that then I'm cutting bait, Personalities are not correctable, but anything else is if they work at it.

So how much time do you give them? Until they stop making progress. Simple. All the time in the world until they stop improving, or regress. That means Geno would have been cut loose half way through year 2, and Sanchez at the end of year 3. 

28 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

What also amazes me is that every time a team or two sells their future to trade up for a QB, it always occurs that there was some no-name QB picked up in the 3rd or 4th round who ends up being the best of the bunch or close to it. 

Teams sold the farm for Andrew Luck and RG3 when every team passed on Russell Wilson multiple times. Teams sold the farm for Jared Goff and Carson Wentz (whom by the way had no business being the 1st two guys drafted) and the hottest player in the entire league right now is a 4th round rookie in Dallas. 

Teams that do that are terribly ran teams imo. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What also amazes me is that every time a team or two sells their future to trade up for a QB, it always occurs that there was some no-name QB picked up in the 3rd or 4th round who ends up being the best of the bunch or close to it. 

Teams sold the farm for Andrew Luck and RG3 when every team passed on Russell Wilson multiple times. Teams sold the farm for Jared Goff and Carson Wentz (whom by the way had no business being the 1st two guys drafted) and the hottest player in the entire league right now is a 4th round rookie in Dallas. 

Teams that do that are terribly ran teams imo. 

The thing is that no one would trade away a premiere QB no matter what you offered. They obviously have doubts if they are willing to listen.

The next CBA must include increased numbers on the practice squads (10) and/or rosters (53) to enable player development or create a development league like they had in NFL Europe...

The game is better with better players, and it was a short sighted decision to cancel that development league, yet now they want a team in London and better player development 

Time for Goodell to go

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The idea was for him to start right away. You don't bring picks along slowly anymore unless they suck out loud.

+1

My understanding (from others) was that Goff's main attribute was that he could start right away. This is what made him leapfrog Wentz, and is what separated him from others with more theoretical upside like Lynch, Hackenberg, and a douche like Cook.

2 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Eli Manning? And that was just to move up 3 slots from 4 to 1. Considering how much they could have gotten in return by trading down from 4 to 20, that's how much that original pick was worth. They traded away just as much as the Rams did.

Archived