Jets 2nd Round Pick Fails

Karam H

Hey guys, I run an NFL site and have a Jets writer. He's been writing a bit about the team and just recently analyzed the 2nd round picks for the team in recent memory. I post links to those articles here because last time I did, there was really good discussion about Geno vs. Petty. Here is  about the draft history.

I'm all about discussion and love reading what real Jets fans think... If this is something you guys wouldn't want me to do, or if you consider this advertising, please let me know and I'll stop posting. But it's not for more traffic, I don't even get paid for this. I do it out of enjoyment.

Let me know what you guys think.

1 minute ago, Karam H said:

Hey guys, I run an NFL site and have a Jets writer. He's been writing a bit about the team and just recently analyzed the 2nd round picks for the team in recent memory. I post links to those articles here because last time I did, there was really good discussion about Geno vs. Petty. Here is this link about the draft history.

I'm all about discussion and love reading what real Jets fans think... If this is something you guys wouldn't want me to do, or if you consider this advertising, please let me know and I'll stop posting. But it's not for more traffic, I don't even get paid for this. I do it out of enjoyment.

I wouldnt recommend anyone clicking on that link since you found the need to hyperlink it. What I would suggest is that you copy/paste the actual article here for us to read.

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

so getting a franchise QB in the 2nd is a "fail" now? Millennials

I would've used the word "potential" franchise QB but for the most part I agree.  Why is it so difficult for people

to understand that the organization knows Hackenberg has "warts" but they believe in his physical & mental

abilities and are willing to rebuild him over time?

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

I would used the word "potential" franchise QB but for the most part I agree.  Why is it so difficult for people

to understand that the organization knows Hackenberg has "warts" but they believe in his physical & mental

What over time?  WTF....He is already 21.

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

I would used the word "potential" franchise QB but for the most part I agree.  Why is it so difficult for people

beats me man, Hack sure looks like a stud from where Im sitting

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I wouldnt recommend anyone clicking on that link since you found the need to hyperlink it. What I would suggest is that you copy/paste the actual article here for us to read.

Gotcha I'll do that next time

27 minutes ago, Karam H said:

Hey guys, I run an NFL site and have a Jets writer. He's been writing a bit about the team and just recently analyzed the 2nd round picks for the team in recent memory. I post links to those articles here because last time I did, there was really good discussion about Geno vs. Petty. Here is  about the draft history.

If I had to  I would guess Max would prefer us to discuss it here. No idea why.  He has this thing about discussing Jets topics among the posters here. Just weird. I know.

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

2nd round is for good players and lotto pick QBs. Macc played it right here. Hate Geno and hate Idzik but I do not criticize taking a shot on Geno in the 2nd.

Agreed. Geno wasn't a reach in the 2nd at the time. He was expected to be a top 10 pick where a bunch of QB needy teams were picking. He fell and Jets pounced without trading up (IIRC). He was asked to start from day one and we all know how 2nd round rookie QBs are so successful from the get go. 

You may hate my opinion, but I think we can still salvage the pick. 

7 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Agreed. Geno wasn't a reach in the 2nd at the time. He was expected to be a top 10 pick where a bunch of QB needy teams were picking. He fell and Jets pounced without trading up (IIRC). He was asked to start from day one and we all know how 2nd round rookie QBs are so successful from the get go. 

You may hate my opinion, but I think we can still salvage the pick. 

Me reading your post

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Bill-Murray-Laughs-Then-Turns-Sad.gif

Hackenburg - Awful reach pick the guy is going to be the prototype good arm and size does nothing else well.

Devin Smith - Guy was surprisingly poor imo in his 1st year the excuse that he is a 9 route runner is lame, also don;t get hurt or you get passed by.

Jace Amaro - Thought this guy looked good as a rookie, the new regime never warmed to him at all, also a member of the don't get hurt gang.

Geno Smith - Actually a good pick even though I don't like Geno at all.  We needed a QB we let the guy fall to us, he was rated much higher than where he went.

Stephen Hill - Guys best game was his 1st, a cautionary tale about potential vs production in college.

Vlad Ducasse - Picking an olineman here was a good move but small school competition I think elevated this guys stock too high.

David Harris - Excellent pick, I loved him before the draft and was super happy we picked him, not crazy about his latest contract though.

Kellen Clemens - A QB that legitimately could beef about weaponzzzz,having guys like adrian clarke and anthony clement on the oline and justin mcstonehands and becht as receivers gave this guy no chance.  Happy to see him fashion a nice career as a backup.

Mike Nugent - Bum city, awful pick.

Justin Miller - This guy actually had potential, was good for a year as a return guy had potential as a CB.

Victor Hobson - Not great, not a total bust, had a couple of semi decent years.

Jon McGraw - Slow white DB, don;t draft them!

Lamont Jordan - Talk about potential, big, fairly fast but benefited from having Curtis martin from wearing down the other team, faded fast.

Randy Thomas - Good pick good player for a time.

Dorian Boose - Included this guy because he played for my CFL team for a few years.  Year one he was a dominant force one of the best lineman in the league, year two, fat, drug taker out of the league.

Jets fans haven't seen a homegrown franchise QB in this uniform since Joe Willy Namath. Our best QB's over the years have been FA's like Vinny T and Favre.

And we spend alot of time hating Brady who was a 6th round lightning strike (cough, cough CHEATER) 

As a result, many Jets fans are under the delusion that a 2nd round QB like Geno or Clemens or Hack will one day be like "oh yeah, that's how it's done" and suddenly become good or even great QBs. We forget that even Tebow went rd 1 and the whole league, which is desperate for QB's, passed on these guys for a reason.

bottom line if these guys had any potential to be great they wouldn't have made it past rd 1. They are not the next Russell Wilson or Drew Brees who was basically everything you wanted out of a modern QB but too short. These guys have the physical gifts to be first rounders but are fatally flawed in other ways. Still, we (and the team) treat them like commodities. 

Carrying 4 QB's is a joke, when teams that have actual QB's only carry 2.  It's borderline roster mismanagement. The only reason they can pull it off is because the TE are all special teamers. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah...seems like click bait on the surface lol. if you are serious about just wanting our opinions then paste the article.

I did that the first time, you can check. People said they'd rather a link because it was super long. Im not looking for click bait dude, I know that stuff is annoying

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Hackenburg - Awful reach pick the guy is going to be the prototype good arm and size does nothing else well.

Devin Smith - Guy was surprisingly poor imo in his 1st year the excuse that he is a 9 route runner is lame, also don;t get hurt or you get passed by.

Jace Amaro - Thought this guy looked good as a rookie, the new regime never warmed to him at all, also a member of the don't get hurt gang.

Geno Smith - Actually a good pick even though I don't like Geno at all.  We needed a QB we let the guy fall to us, he was rated much higher than where he went.

Stephen Hill - Guys best game was his 1st, a cautionary tale about potential vs production in college.

Vlad Ducasse - Picking an olineman here was a good move but small school competition I think elevated this guys stock too high.

David Harris - Excellent pick, I loved him before the draft and was super happy we picked him, not crazy about his latest contract though.

Kellen Clemens - A QB that legitimately could beef about weaponzzzz,having guys like adrian clarke and anthony clement on the oline and justin mcstonehands and becht as receivers gave this guy no chance.  Happy to see him fashion a nice career as a backup.

Mike Nugent - Bum city, awful pick.

Justin Miller - This guy actually had potential, was good for a year as a return guy had potential as a CB.

Victor Hobson - Not great, not a total bust, had a couple of semi decent years.

Jon McGraw - Slow white DB, don;t draft them!

Lamont Jordan - Talk about potential, big, fairly fast but benefited from having Curtis martin from wearing down the other team, faded fast.

Randy Thomas - Good pick good player for a time.

Dorian Boose - Included this guy because he played for my CFL team for a few years.  Year one he was a dominant force one of the best lineman in the league, year two, fat, drug taker out of the league.

What's incredible is every regime from Kotite to parcels to even Mac has sucked at picking in round 2.

Every frickin regime

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans haven't seen a homegrown franchise QB in this uniform since Joe Willy Namath. Our best QB's over the years have been FA's like Vinny T and Favre.

And we spend alot of time hating Brady who was a 6th round lightning strike (cough, cough CHEATER) 

As a result, many Jets fans are under the delusion that a 2nd round QB like Geno or Clemens or Hack will one day be like "oh yeah, that's how it's done" and suddenly become good or even great QBs. We forget that even Tebow went rd 1 and the whole league, which is desperate for QB's, passed on these guys for a reason.

bottom line if these guys had any potential to be great they wouldn't have made it past rd 1. They are not the next Russell Wilson or Drew Brees who was basically everything you wanted out of a modern QB but too short. These guys have the physical gifts to be first rounders but are fatally flawed in other ways. Still, we (and the team) treat them like commodities. 

Carrying 4 QB's is a joke, when teams that have actual QB's only carry 2.  It's borderline roster mismanagement. The only reason they can pull it off is because the TE are all special teamers. 

Maybe Geno can play wr?

In fairness to Mac; he has only had 2 picks so far; it is waaaaaaay too early to tell on Hack (as we knew he was going to be raw day 1) and Devin was his pick but with Idzik's scouting team (also a little early, but it doesn't look great).

Maybe we should just trade our #2 pick every year.

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

Exactly! Why wasn't this a thread about Geno vs. all other Jets QBs? 

I don't need some dude promoting his website reminding us about draft busts.   Maybe you enjoy that kind of stuff. 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

2nd round is for good players and lotto pick QBs. Macc played it right here. Hate Geno and hate Idzik but I do not criticize taking a shot on Geno in the 2nd.

I never understood how anyone could criticize that move. Geno most of his draft year was projected to be an early first round pick and he slid down when it came closer to the draft but he was supposed to have still been the best QB in the draft which obviously was a position of need. I won't make excuses for his lack of transition into the NFL but when you have a need and the best player in the draft at that position happens to fall into your lap in the second how do you not take a swing?

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

At this point not sure we need a description to go along with a gif. LOL

Sorry I didn't grow up with the internet

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I never understood how anyone could criticize that move. Geno most of his draft year was projected to be an early first round pick and he slid down when it came closer to the draft but he was supposed to have still been the best QB in the draft which obviously was a position of need. I won't make excuses for his lack of transition into the NFL but when you have a need and the best player in the draft at that position happens to fall into your lap in the second how do you not take a swing?

Because there is a lot of mistaking hindsight with genius around here

Archived