Revis: Merged

Freemanm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obvious that Revis is no longer the same player that he was in 2009, but the coaching staff bears a lot of the blame for not being able to scheme around that. In Revis's last 2 regular season games, Green and Watkins have absolutely tooled him. The sooner the coaching staff adjusts, the better. 

55 minutes ago, maury77 said:

It's obvious that Revis is no longer the same player that he was in 2009, but the coaching staff bears a lot of the blame for not being able to scheme around that. In Revis's last 2 regular season games, Green and Watkins have absolutely tooled him. The sooner the coaching staff adjusts, the better. 

Gilchrist blew the coverage today.  The long TD was on him.  They were in cover 3 and he blew it.  

But Revis will get the blame.

7 hours ago, House Jet said:

Very obvious blown coverage. It was cover 3, deep middle saftety blew it. Its actually crazy revis was as close as he was. Criticise him for giving up that 3rd and 13 catch for 11 maybe but the deep ball is not revis' fault.

It is amazing how no one else realizes this but are quick to call Revis over the hill, over rated, whatever.  Gilchrist was supposed to have coverage and blew it on the deep TD.  It was a bad day for the safeties.  

And for some fans

6 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Take out the blown coverage (which will happen in the first few weeks and with younger players) and that sick catch he made with Revis hanging all over him, how bad did he really look. I hate the soft cushion thing too, but except for the missed tackle (Revis is normally very good tackler) and the stupid face mask (by another player) we MIGHT have pulled this out.

He clearly isn't the player he used to be, but even the old (really new) Revis had games where elite WRs beat him. Certain WRs always game him trouble - he did better on big strong dominating WRs as opposed to shifty fast WRs.

Either way, not sure what people are expecting; if your bar is NEVER get beat by an Elite WR, then not sure who would meet your expectations. It was my understanding that Revis could be cut by the 3rd year (or maybe 4th); so, soon enough you will have your precious cap space back; of course, it wasn't like our other CBs or the safety (who blew the double coverage) is going to make you happy either.

Most sensible post in the thread.

Is he as dominant as he was at age 28? Of course not . Is he overpaid? Yup. And as for being over-rated, I agree with Warfish that that's long been the case  -- not because he wasn't great, but because he's a cornerback, and only a quarterback could deserve the level of hype that the Revis Island stuff generated.

But he's still a top tier CB, and the two biggest plays against him were not his fault in one case, and due to a freakish catch in the other.

The reactionaries are out in full force on this one. Revis will be fine this season.

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

BIG MACC is a genious for bringing him back, keep it up BIG MACC

The silver lining to all of this is the reminder that we only need to wait for one developmentally stunted brat child to drop dead before the Knicks have the same chance as everybody else does to at least luck into something. This on the other hand is forever.

4 hours ago, Gaffneycatch said:

Is he as dominant as he was at age 28? Of course not . Is he overpaid? Yup. And as for being over-rated, I agree with Warfish that that's long been the case  -- not because he wasn't great, but because he's a cornerback, and only a quarterback could deserve the level of hype that the Revis Island stuff generated.

But he's still a top tier CB, and the two biggest plays against him were not his fault in one case, and due to a freakish catch in the other.

The reactionaries are out in full force on this one. Revis will be fine this season.

He is absolutely not a top tier QB.  He was getting beat all day.  He might be a capable starter in the NFL but that is now the extent of it.  Wether it's because he got old or that he cashed in and really doesn't care anymore (likely a little bit of both) but we shouldn't expect him to be anything more than a middle of the pack solid NFL corner.

3 minutes ago, jackhuntr said:

I think it's time to move Revis to free safety, 

Revis Island has turned into a vacation resort for receivers sitting on the beach getting free drinks.

Been that way for a while. Belicheat didn't let Revis work on an "island", he gave him help, whether it hurt the guys ego or not. He still got beat with the Pats, I remember threads where every time he got burnt in a Pats uniform it was celebrated vigorously. He gets here, and plopped back into his pre-ACL role. It worked for a bit, because QBs shied away from him based on reputation alone. Reality is, while he was here the first time, he was probably only as good as his reputation for a season or 2, the rest was the Revis brand influencing offensive game plans against us.

Bowles and Kacy Rodgers need to adapt to what Revis is now. Or, this will become routine. Very few teams in the NFL are without at least one stud WR. 

Pretty discouraging start to the season. I'm on record saying I wasn't worried about our secondary, and I was dead wrong. I thought Revis had more in the tank. Yesterday was as big a joke as week 17 vs. Watkins, only the injury excuse was acceptable explanation for that mess.

We lost yesterday for the exact same reasons we lost games last year.

• Drops by Marshall in what would be momentum shifting moments
  • Fitz throwing an INT on our final drive, instead of driving us into "FG to win" range
  • Special teams ******* up 1-2 major plays that result in a shift in scoring differential

This sh*t needs to be coached up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000701071/article/revis-on-greens-big-day-not-one-of-my-better-games

Revis on Green's big day: Not 'one of my better games'

A.J. Green didn't just annex Revis Island, he sunk it.

The Bengals receiver torched the entire New York Jets secondary, going for 180 yards on 12 catches including torching Darrelle Revis on a 54-yard touchdown as Cincinnati eked out a 23-22 win. Against Revis, Andy Dalton was 10 for 10 when targeting Green for a perfect 158.3 passer rating, according to NFL Media research.

"It probably wasn't one of my better games," Revis said after the contest, via NJ.com. "I can take a punch on the chin."

Revis called the TD a "busted coverage" in which he thought he had help over the top.

The 31-year-old corner has admitted to an onset diagnosis of diminishing skills, openly discussing an eventual move to safety as his career winds down. Despite allowing Green to run rampant, Revis isn't worried about the trend continuing the rest of the season, including Thursday night against Sammy Watkins and the Buffalo Bills.

"Definitely not," Revis said. "We do have a lot of experience. This is our second year of being together. We've just got to tighten some things up. I definitely have confidence in the secondary we've got."

As for Green, the ever-humble superstar receiver wasn't basking in his massive stats.

"Revis is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. It's just an honor going against him," Green said, per the team's official website. "That guy has nothing left to prove. He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer for sure. I'm trying to get where he is. That's what I'm trying to do."

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Gilchrist blew the coverage today.  The long TD was on him.  They were in cover 3 and he blew it.  

But Revis will get the blame.

That's only one play. I read a stat on Bleacher Report that Dalton was 10 for 10 when targeting Green yesterday. I don't know that Revis covered Green on every single one of those coverages, but he did on most of them. 

59 minutes ago, maury77 said:

That's only one play. I read a stat on Bleacher Report that Dalton was 10 for 10 when targeting Green yesterday. I don't know that Revis covered Green on every single one of those coverages, but he did on most of them. 

Agree, but we're talking one of top WRs in he league, not surprised that he made plays.   Revis isn't 09 Revis but he's still a top DB.  Top DBS other than 09 Revis give up plays.  Especially when a WR makes a few unreal catches.  We don't always have to blame someone, the other guy made plays

I'm still baffled by the cushion given to receivers at the line of scrimmage by Revis these days.  His game was always predicated on jamming them and getting them off their routes early; with the way our D-Line was playing yesterday it was more important to take away those quick reads by Dalton.  Last year we were told it was because of the wrist injury that he was holding back.  But he is still doing it.  Is that coaching or is he no longer confident in his ability to keep up with them after the jam.  Very curious...

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Revis is not the same player he was but he is the best we have.  The money is what it is.  He is still a very good CB and I would rather have the QB's trying to test him by throwing more balls his way than to throw it to the opposite side.

That's not saying a whole lot!

18 hours ago, House Jet said:

Very obvious blown coverage. It was cover 3, deep middle saftety blew it. Its actually crazy revis was as close as he was. Criticise him for giving up that 3rd and 13 catch for 11 maybe but the deep ball is not revis' fault.

I disagree considering how long that ball hung in the air.

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It is amazing how no one else realizes this but are quick to call Revis over the hill, over rated, whatever.  Gilchrist was supposed to have coverage and blew it on the deep TD.  It was a bad day for the safeties.  

And for some fans

Even if this one pass wasn't his fault, AJ owned Darrelle all day. Depending on what stats are correct he caught either 10 or 12 passes against Revis in coverage and this isn't even taking into consideration the missed tackles Revis had as well.

43 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

[http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63073/an-inside-look-at-a-j-greens-vacation-on-revis-island-much-to-jets-chagrinURL]

Revis looked worse live after watching the game this morning. Glad Cimini wrote this so I didn't have to...

You could probably write an article like that about any CB getting killed in a game.  Yes, the majority of plays throughout a game their man doesn't make a play.  Revis was bad yesterday, no other way to look at it.  Revis is now a solid NFL starting CB, nothing more...

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000701071/article/revis-on-greens-big-day-not-one-of-my-better-games

Revis on Green's big day: Not 'one of my better games'

A.J. Green didn't just annex Revis Island, he sunk it.

The Bengals receiver torched the entire New York Jets secondary, going for 180 yards on 12 catches including torching Darrelle Revis on a 54-yard touchdown as Cincinnati eked out a 23-22 win. Against Revis, Andy Dalton was 10 for 10 when targeting Green for a perfect 158.3 passer rating, according to NFL Media research.

"It probably wasn't one of my better games," Revis said after the contest, via NJ.com. "I can take a punch on the chin."

Revis called the TD a "busted coverage" in which he thought he had help over the top.

The 31-year-old corner has admitted to an onset diagnosis of diminishing skills, openly discussing an eventual move to safety as his career winds down. Despite allowing Green to run rampant, Revis isn't worried about the trend continuing the rest of the season, including Thursday night against Sammy Watkins and the Buffalo Bills.

"Definitely not," Revis said. "We do have a lot of experience. This is our second year of being together. We've just got to tighten some things up. I definitely have confidence in the secondary we've got."

As for Green, the ever-humble superstar receiver wasn't basking in his massive stats.

"Revis is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. It's just an honor going against him," Green said, per the team's official website. "That guy has nothing left to prove. He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer for sure. I'm trying to get where he is. That's what I'm trying to do."

Is it sad that all I took away from this article is AJ Green is a class act? 

lol

5 hours ago, baamf said:

I'm still baffled by the cushion given to receivers at the line of scrimmage by Revis these days.  His game was always predicated on jamming them and getting them off their routes early; with the way our D-Line was playing yesterday it was more important to take away those quick reads by Dalton.  Last year we were told it was because of the wrist injury that he was holding back.  But he is still doing it.  Is that coaching or is he no longer confident in his ability to keep up with them after the jam.  Very curious...

Pretty sure that he said something after the game about playing where the coach is asking him to play. I'd much prefer to see Revis in press coverage. Hopefully somebody asks Bowles why he's not playing Revis up on the line more often, if they are even doing it all. I really don't think Revis fell off a cliff, but this is more related to how he is being utilized.

14 hours ago, Gaffneycatch said:

When, next game, the game after that, or maybe when we play the Rams and their ragtag bunch of wideouts.  A player paid $17M as a CB should not be allowing an opposing WR to catch 12 passes for 180+ yards and I don't care who the WR is.

Revis wasn't 'fine' last year and he started off worse this year.  DeAndre Hopkins and Sammie Watkins abuse him last year in two key games as well.  We are using a huge chunk of cap on a Cb now who is okay as long as he gets massive safety help.  We didn't sign up for that.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree, but we're talking one of top WRs in he league, not surprised that he made plays.   Revis isn't 09 Revis but he's still a top DB.  Top DBS other than 09 Revis give up plays.  Especially when a WR makes a few unreal catches.  We don't always have to blame someone, the other guy made plays

I agree with everything you are saying. I'm not saying we should cut or bench Revis, just stop leaving him "on an island" without any help. 

8 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I disagree considering how long that ball hung in the air.

You're welcome to your opinion.

However, football is about each individual doing they're job. From his alignment and depth you can tell they are playing cover 3. Gilchrist is motioning Marcus Williams to get back so he can cover his middle third. If Revis bit more towards the middle of the field immediately he is basically giving up the post to his deep 3rd. Williams should have been there.

He was late to realize he had no safety in the middle of the field. Williams didn't do his job. Revis almost made a great play covering someone elses man. 11 guys have to do their job.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Bowles did it week 17 last year and yesterday.   I'm as concerned about Bowles as I am about REVIS. 

You think revis was on an island with Green? He was lined up over the outside receiver before he went in motion then moved inside to line up over Green. I don't want to sound like a homer but he's in zone. Williams was basically in the box as the deep middle safety. 

4 minutes ago, House Jet said:

You think revis was on an island with Green? He was lined up over the outside receiver before he went in motion then moved inside to line up over Green. I don't want to sound like a homer but he's in zone. Williams was basically in the box as the deep middle safety. 

We lost both games I commented on basically due to secondary coverage. We have a defensive minded coach. 

That was my point, I still think REVIS is at a minimum, serviceable. 

Archived