IN retrospect

Jetster

This is my last comment on the Bengals game. I never mentioned it but I did see a few others mention this. When we had all of that momentum going for us & got inside the 1 yard line up 7-0, I was screaming at the TV for Bowles to use all 4 downs & go for the TD! I felt that even a FG from there was a loss anyway! I was like, what's the worst thing that can happen? We miss it & they're backed up into the endzone, our Dline was balling, the crowd were all in their seats & going crazy (Simms & Nantz commented on how loud it was). That is the one thing I will agree with people on this board about regarding Bowles, he has no balls! 

If he didn't go for that because the Jets tried it last year & failed, I'll agree with you guys that he's not long to be coaching us. As a coach, you have got to have that "sense", Belichick has that "sense" & makes decisions based on the here & now. If there was ever a time to ride the wave of emotion I in that game it was on 4th down there. Even if you don't make it, anything can happen backed up in that crazy environment & with our Dline, a fumble, safety ect. This isn't hindsight, a lot of Jet fans were thinking the same thing. Then the FG gets blocked, honestly, that was worse than not converting that 1st down for momentum. Live the moment Todd Bowles!

35 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is my last comment on the Bengals game. I never mentioned it but I did see a few others mention this. When we had all of that momentum going for us & got inside the 1 yard line up 7-0, I was screaming at the TV for Bowles to use all 4 downs & go for the TD! I felt that even a FG from there was a loss anyway! I was like, what's the worst thing that can happen? We miss it & they're backed up into the endzone, our Dline was balling, the crowd were all in their seats & going crazy (Simms & Nantz commented on how loud it was). That is the one thing I will agree with people on this board about regarding Bowles, he has no balls! 

If he didn't go for that because the Jets tried it last year & failed, I'll agree with you guys that he's not long to be coaching us. As a coach, you have got to have that "sense", Belichick has that "sense" & makes decisions based on the here & now. If there was ever a time to ride the wave of emotion I in that game it was on 4th down there. Even if you don't make it, anything can happen backed up in that crazy environment & with our Dline, a fumble, safety ect. This isn't hindsight, a lot of Jet fans were thinking the same thing. Then the FG gets blocked, honestly, that was worse than not converting that 1st down for momentum. Live the moment Todd Bowles!

Said the same thing while it was happening and had this exact conversation with my Pops last night.  I would have gone for it.  But, he's a defensive coach and 10 out of 10 times he's going to kick the FG and hope his "dominant D" can make a stop.

How about Jack Del Rio tying the game against New Orleans this weekend with less than a minute, and instead of kicking the extra point, GOES FOR THE TWO and wins the game.

You think you would see Bowles do that?  Not on your life.  To be fair, not many would do that......

14 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

How about Jack Del Rio tying the game against New Orleans this weekend with less than a minute, and instead of kicking the extra point, GOES FOR THE TWO and wins the game.

You think you would see Bowles do that?  Not on your life.  To be fair, not many would do that......

Jack Del Rio is a nut job so...

19 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

On 1st down.....should have had legit run the ball play called there instead of telegraphing to defense a pass with a empty backfield (WTF). (I know fitz scrambled)

2nd down should have been any type of misdirection play. I love when teams try to man up and power it in against us, and I hate when we try to do it.

The 2nd down run into the teeth of the defense cost us a few yards and nice dominant win against a playoff team. 

I was wondering why with 2 inches away from the goal line why we didnt just QB sneak the damn ball. All Fitz had to do was literally extend his arms once the ball was in play and it would have been a score. 

If that was Tom Brady he would have immediately called a hurry up offense, ran to the line and called that play. No need to huddle up and give the defense a chance go get themselves prepared for the next play. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I was wondering why with 2 inches away from the goal line why we didnt just QB sneak the damn ball. All Fitz had to do was literally extend his arms once the ball was in play and it would have been a score. 

If that was Tom Brady he would have immediately called a hurry up offense, ran to the line and called that play. No need to huddle up and give the defense a chance go get themselves prepared for the next play. 

That was the other thing I was screaming...."QB sneak up Mangold's ass!!!!!!"  haha

oh well.  

We have a boring coach that doesn't think outside the box. Belichick's the best because he gameplans better than anyone, knows every single situation/probability and isnt afraid to take risks. The talent between teams isnt all that different- it's coaching.

45 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

This^^^^^^^^^

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

and this^^^^^^

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We have a boring coach that doesn't think outside the box. Belichick's the best because he gameplans better than anyone, knows every single situation/probability and isnt afraid to take risks. The talent between teams isnt all that different- it's coaching.

I completely agree with you! Put the Jets in that same scenario playing @ Gillette, home opener, the game feels like an avalanche, the Pats start like the Jets did on Sunday. 

I am guaranteeing you guys that Belichick is telling his guys to stick that ball on 4th down RIGHT UP OUR AZZES, knowing that even if he fails, we're backed up playing out of the freaking endzone, on the road, with 80,000 people screaming their lungs out.

Do you know how I or any Jet fan would know he'd go for that? Because right after we celebrate the stop on 3rd down, our instincts of watching us play that team for 12 years would kick in & say "OMG they'll definitely go for this & even if they don't make it we'll probably fumble or give up a safety", lol, you all know it!

With this defense, in theory, he should be able to play it conservative. And frankly, despite several mistakes across the team, the game wound up in the hands of the defense. All they had to do was make a stop to seal the win. They didn't, they put the ball back in Fitz's hands - which is BAD coaching if you intentionally came into the season with a veteran game-manager at QB.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I completely agree with you! Put the Jets in that same scenario playing @ Gillette, home opener, the game feels like an avalanche, the Pats start like the Jets did on Sunday. 

I am guaranteeing you guys that Belichick is telling his guys to stick that ball on 4th down RIGHT UP OUR AZZES, knowing that even if he fails, we're backed up playing out of the freaking endzone, on the road, with 80,000 people screaming their lungs out.

Do you know how I or any Jet fan would know he'd go for that? Because right after we celebrate the stop on 3rd down, our instincts of watching us play that team for 12 years would kick in & say "OMG they'll definitely go for this & even if they don't make it we'll probably fumble or give up a safety", lol, you all know it!

Bowles and Gailey are both relics

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

This doesn't bother me so much because there's only one Belichick, and only two or maybe three other coaches in the league I'd consider really innovative (and one of them is Chip Kelly). Bowles is fine, and if he gets ahold of a QB, I'm sure he'll do very well. If he doesn't, he'll be gone in two years and we'll be onto the next guy. Same as it ever was.

While I would have had absolutely no problem with them going for it there, let's be completely honest here.  If the Jets had gone for it, failed and the rest of the game went exactly the same as it did, there would be plenty of people here claiming that decision was to blame, coming to the "obvious" conclusion that Bowles threw away 3 "easy" points.  There are no excuses for anyone and the multiple failures that occurred, but hindsight has a funny way of making folks think they know best.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

This doesn't bother me so much because there's only one Belichick, and only two or maybe three other coaches in the league I'd consider really innovative (and one of them is Chip Kelly). Bowles is fine, and if he gets ahold of a QB, I'm sure he'll do very well. If he doesn't, he'll be gone in two years and we'll be onto the next guy. Same as it ever was.

Pretty much.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Unfortunately there was never a day on God's Green Earth that Fitz could be confused with Tom Brady......

Lovefest for Bellichick is at full speed on this thread. I respect that bastard as a coach but he didn't become Bellichick in 1 year. Many futile years in Cleveland should not be forgotten. Yes we are out of patience for obvious reasons but Bowles has been doing a lot of things right so far. Though I agree with OP on going for it, I can't kill the guy for being conservative against a very good team. Especially when he isn't as credible as Bellichick is in the eyes of Jets fans. 

Archived